PDA

View Full Version : Do You Agree with Neil Smith being in the Chiefs HOF?

Frazod
03-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes or no.

big nasty kcnut
03-05-2006, 06:22 PM
yes and no he was great when he was here but i piss on him for going to dungver.

JBucc
03-05-2006, 06:24 PM
All this he's a traitor stuff is stupid. Don't hate the player hate the organization.

Dunit35
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes, he was a big part of the dominating defense of the 90's.

seclark
03-05-2006, 06:26 PM
yes.
sec

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Former Bronco Neil Smith shouldn't be in the Chiefs anything after winning two Super Bowls with the Broncos

Rain Man
Yep.

Frazod
Former Bronco Neil Smith shouldn't be in the Chiefs anything after winning two Super Bowls with the Broncos

I couldn't agree more. :grr:

JBucc
03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Former Bronco Neil Smith shouldn't be in the Chiefs anything after winning two Super Bowls with the BroncosI almost forgot the fans. Hate the fans too.

Bwana
03-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Not only no, but HELL NO!

cdcox
03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
All this he's a traitor stuff is stupid. Don't hate the player hate the organization.

Are you aware that the organization offered to pay him more than Denver did?

go bo
03-05-2006, 06:53 PM
he and derrick were the heart and soul (and best entertainment factor) of the chiefs for a lot of years...

he'll always be a chief to me... :deevee:

chiefs4me
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
When I hear the name Neil Smith, I think bronco's, so my answer is NO.....

JBucc
03-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Are you aware that the organization offered to pay him more than Denver did?Honestly I wasn't but that doesn't change my opinion.

chiefs4me
03-05-2006, 06:56 PM

He wanted that shiny ring.....

Bwana
03-05-2006, 06:57 PM

That's the part that pisses me off the most about the whole thing. It's not like the Chiefs organization didn't step up and bend the wallet. I really liked the guy back in the day before he pulled the shit he did. Nope, Neil Smith can go smoke a turd.

Chief Pote
03-05-2006, 07:06 PM

I agree 1000%. Neil who?

Extra Point
03-05-2006, 07:20 PM
He wanted that shiny ring.....

Sure he did. I shook his hand as he came out of Houston's on the Plaza, and DT hadn't left yet. Told him "I hope your here to stay." He said, "Me, too, man." That was during the off-season before he was traded.

He wanted to stay more than he wanted to leave.

He deserves to be in the CHOF. CP deserves to be passed for a few years, making the decision to waive Neil Smith.

CoMoChief
03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
This is the only way I can say this. Based on performance he was the best DE the Chiefs ever had, or at least in my lifetime. The duo of him and DT was like no other in the NFL. QB's were scared to come play against these guys. As far as team/fan morale and the fact that he played a major role in us not getting to the 97 Super Bowl (Carl Peterson placing in Grbac instead of Gannon would be the other factor), I'd say that the fact that he moved on to Denver would be an automatic elimination from the Ring of Fame.

Ultra Peanut
03-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Neilbonics alone should cement his place in the Chiefs Hall of Fame.

THAMKC
03-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Yes.....He & DT were great in the 90's

milkman
03-05-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm really surprised by these results, thus far.

I don't believe his contributions as a Chief merit his entry.
I believe his manner of exit disqualifies him even more.

Logical
03-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Like Albert Lewis who became a Raider I feel both are worthy of the Ring of Fame. Hell if Steadman can be up there Neil certainly can be up there.

kcxiv
03-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I agree, not his fault chiefs had no kinda offense during the 90's. His chances were better in Denver, so he went, and he got 2 nice rings. Now if he would have stayed in KC, he would of well, never had a ring.

ROYC75
03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Seriously folks, how can some of you let your hatred figure into this.

Neil had a solid career here in KC. He gave it all, Marty and CP gave up on him 1st. You surely can't blame him for wanting to play more years and chase a ring.

Yes it sucks he got it in Denver plus they had to cheat the cap to get it.But it was a financial decision on all parts, just Neil won out, $$$ and a ring, err, make that 2. Something KC couldn't give him.

Some of you guys have a hard time with business and loyalty. These players play more for the $$ now days than love of the game.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Will he go in as a Chief or a Bronco...

Seriously, I can understand people hating that he wore a Denver uni, but that shouldn't erase the great things he did in KC.

listopencil
03-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Sure he did. I shook his hand...

That story would have been a lot more entertaining if you had put that he said something lke,"Yeb. I be hopin' dat th' teeng be done." or something. And if you had included a few dead hookers. Dead hookers really sell a story.

kcxiv
03-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Will he go in as a Chief or a Bronco...

Seriously, I can understand people hating that he wore a Denver uni, but that shouldn't erase the great things he did in KC.
Its all jealousy man. Cuase he got a ring while KC is going on 35 or so years without one. And the Team he got it with didnt help, but thats football.

milkman

Neil had a solid career here in KC. He gave it all, Marty and CP gave up on him 1st. You surely can't blame him for wanting to play more years and chase a ring.

Yes it sucks he got it in Denver plus they had to cheat the cap to get it.But it was a financial decision on all parts, just Neil won out, $$$ and a ring, err, make that 2. Something KC couldn't give him.

Some of you guys have a hard time with business and loyalty. These players play more for the $$ now days than love of the game.

He was paid less to play for Denver than the Chiefs offered him.

cdcox

The bolded parts of your post are false.

The Chiefs offered Smith a deal worth $3.6M a year during November of the 1996 season. He turned it down and ended up with a one year $1.5M with the Donks.

ROYC75
03-05-2006, 08:31 PM
The bolded parts of your post are false.

The Chiefs offered Smith a deal worth $3.6M a year during November of the 1996 season. He turned it down and ended up with a one year $1.5M with the Donks.

Damn, I'm getting old and forgetful. Either I had forgot about that or never knew it.

Dammit Neil ............

cdcox
03-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I agree, not his fault chiefs had no kinda offense during the 90's. His chances were better in Denver, so he went, and he got 2 nice rings. Now if he would have stayed in KC, he would of well, never had a ring.

That '97 game was razor close. Erase one of two questionalbe calls and it could have easily gone the Chiefs way. Take Smith away from the Donks and put him on the Chiefs and we could have been hoisting the Lombardi and Smith would have made much more money.

listopencil
03-05-2006, 08:32 PM
That '97 game was razor close. Erase one of two questionalbe calls and it could have easily gone the Chiefs way. Take Smith away from the Donks and put him on the Chiefs and we could have been hoisting the Lombardi and Smith would have made much more money.

Pull out Grbk and put in Gannon...you win. Even with Smith on our side. Thanks Marty!

milkman
03-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Its all jealousy man. Cuase he got a ring while KC is going on 35 or so years without one. And the Team he got it with didnt help, but thats football.

Jealousy is not a reason for my feelings on Smith.

I look at the great defensive players of the 60s and early 70s and measure the players who followed against them.

Neil Smith doesn't approach their level.

I'm not sure Art Still wasn't better.

cdcox
03-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Pull out Grbk and put in Gannon...you win. Even with Smith on our side. Thanks Marty!

Yeah Gannon was always nails under pressure. We had two choker QBs of the roster back then.

kcxiv
03-05-2006, 08:37 PM
That '97 game was razor close. Erase one of two questionalbe calls and it could have easily gone the Chiefs way. Take Smith away from the Donks and put him on the Chiefs and we could have been hoisting the Lombardi and Smith would have made much more money. Thats ALLL speculation. We dont know for sure what could have happend. Neil Smith mad the RIGHT desicion for him, and he paid off. 2 superbowl rings. We dont know if the Chiefs would have made it anywhere.

listopencil
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Yeah Gannon was always nails under pressure. We had two choker QBs of the roster back then.

It was nuts. First Marty starts Grbk and leaves him in even though he wasn't doing as well. Then the O stands around forever trying to figure out what to do on fourth and one when you've got Marcus ****ing Allen in the backfield. Crazy.

Miles
03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
I have no idea how selective the Cheifs HOF is but I see no reason why going to another team should keep him out.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 08:44 PM
It was nuts. First Marty starts Grbk and leaves him in even though he wasn't doing as well. Then the O stands around forever trying to figure out what to do on fourth and one when you've got Marcus ****ing Allen in the backfield. Crazy.

Speaking of Marcus... he made his name as a Raider and then piled on the stats as a Chief, and if asked today... (based on the comments) I would imagine most KC fans would say that Allen is more deserving than Neil to be in the Chiefs HOF.

If that is the opinion of the majority... that's just insane.

Logical
03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
He was paid less to play for Denver than the Chiefs offered him.
The problem with this is we don't know how KC's offer was structured. What if it was like this:

$750K Signing bonus
$500K first year salary
March 2nd year $1 mil Roster bonus
2.5 mil salary 2nd year
March 3rd year $2.5 mil Roster bonus
3.5 mil salary 3rd year

That is a three year average of 3.5 mil but he was being paid less than Denver paid him that first year with no guarantee he would get any of the rest.

You folks are being myopic in your view of the situation.

milkman
03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Speaking of Marcus... he made his name as a Raider and then piled on the stats as a Chief, and if asked today... (based on the comments) I would imagine most KC fans would say that Allen is more deserving than Neil to be in the Chiefs HOF.

I still think of Marcus Allen as a Raider.

A disgruntled one, but a Raider nonetheless.

listopencil
03-05-2006, 08:55 PM

I would rather see Allen in the KC HOF because of what Al did with him, I don't know Allen vs. Smith. I would have thought "No" because he went to us. I voted yes because I (as a Bronco fan) wouldn't be bothered by it. In fact, I would use it to talk crap to the KC fan at work.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM

I'd put Marcus in ahead of Smith. I'd also put Ross and Lewis in ahead of Smith. In fact, I'd probably wait until Smith was dead before I put him in the Chiefs ring. Fugger can blow me for all I care.

I'm sure if Gradishar or Tom Jackson would've left the Donks and joined the Raiders in '83 and had won the Super Bowl with them, you'd have a little different outlook.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
I just think it's pretty similar to how Sharpe left Denver ... went to Baltimore, talked some crap, won a ring and then returned.

Hell, had he not returned... I still would have thought he was greatness.

cdcox
03-05-2006, 08:57 PM
The problem with this is we don't know how KC's offer was structured. What if it was like this:

$750K Signing bonus
$500K first year salary
March 2nd year $1 mil Roster bonus
2.5 mil salary 2nd year
March 3rd year $2.5 mil Roster bonus
3.5 mil salary 3rd year

That is a three year average of 3.5 mil but he was being paid less than Denver paid him that first year with no guarantee he would get any of the rest.

You folks are being myopic in your view of the situation.

What if it were 2 yr a deal structured like this:

$1 signing bonus
$1 first year salary
$7,199,998 second year salary

You really need to work on your straw man.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I just think it's pretty similar to how Sharpe left Denver ... went to Baltimore, talked some crap, won a ring and then returned.

Had Smith gone to Baltimore and won with them, I would've been happy for him.

listopencil
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM

Yep. But imagine if he had gone to the Raiders instead and they had won a SB with him by beating us at Mile High on the way. Ouch.

kcxiv
03-05-2006, 08:59 PM
I'd put Marcus in ahead of Smith. I'd also put Ross and Lewis in ahead of Smith. In fact, I'd probably wait until Smith was dead before I put him in the Chiefs ring. Fugger can blow me for all I care.

I'm sure if Gradishar or Tom Jackson would've left the Donks and joined the Raiders in '83 and had won the Super Bowl with them, you'd have a little different outlook. Put Allen ahead of SMith? you gotta be kidding. I dont even think Marcus had a 1000 yard season with the Chiefs. Allen was GREAT in Oakland/LA whatever, but when he came to the Chiefs he was just an aging runningback with "some" skills left. He never really did SHIT.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 08:59 PM
I'd probably also put Saleaumua, Maas, Hackett, Szott, and Grunhard in ahead of Smith.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Put Allen ahead of SMith? you gotta be kidding. I dont even think Marcus had a 1000 yard season with the Chiefs. Allen was GREAT in Oakland/LA whatever, but when he came to the Chiefs he was just an aging runningback with "some" skills left. He never really did SHIT.

Yeah, he simply helped us get to the AFC Championship game, dumbass.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Yep. But imagine if he had gone to the Raiders instead and they had won a SB with him by beating us at Mile High on the way. Ouch.

Ok, had Sharpe done that with either Oak or KC ... sure it would have sucked, but I would have had zero ill will toward him and would still tout his greatness.

Sure it stings... but, I'm not going to crucify the guy.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Ok, had Sharpe done that with either Oak or KC ... sure it would have sucked, but I would have had zero ill will toward him and would still tout his greatness.

:rolleyes:

You're so full of sh*t...

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
This thread is a perfect example of how history gets distorted.

Smith over-valued himself on the open market. He got no offers at his asking price. After his agent came to his senses, they discussed all the offers they got.

All TWO of them. Lein Sthim fell out of tree and landed on the backs of Elway and TD.

Frazod
03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm shocked by the results of this poll.

And digusted. :shake:

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
:rolleyes:

You're so full of sh*t...

You know nothing about me... I understand why people are bitter, but the desire to erase his memory is crazy to me.

We differ in opinions... get over it.

cdcox
03-05-2006, 09:06 PM

64% of the planeteers are enlightened and share your live-and-let-live attitude. The rest of us are just bitter little people.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 09:08 PM
64% of the planeteers are enlightened and share your live-and-let-live attitude. The rest of us are just bitter little people.

I don't know if you're little...

shaneo69
You know nothing about me... I understand why people are bitter, but the desire to erase his memory is crazy to me.

We differ in opinions... get over it.

I know you're a dickhead bronco fan, and that's pretty much all I need to know about you.

Oh, and that spanking you took from the Steelers at Pile High.....get over it. ROFL

Bwana
I'm shocked by the results of this poll.

And digusted. :shake:

Indeed :shake:

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I know you're a dickhead bronco fan, and that's pretty much all I need to know about you.

Oh, and that spanking you took from the Steelers at Pile High.....get over it. ROFL

C'mon, GoChiefs has better stuff than that...

Slainte
03-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm not surprised in the least...

Deberg_1990
03-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Smith and Derrick Thomas were probably the biggest reasons for our turnaround from joke of a franchise to contenders in the late 80's early 90's. I say he deserves to be in the Chiefs HOF.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Smith and Derrick Thomas were probably the biggest reasons for our turnaround from joke of a franchise to contenders in the late 80's early 90's. I say he deserves to be in the Chiefs HOF.

Sure he deserves it, but I'm big on spite.

PastorMikH
03-05-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm of the persuasion that Niel Smith would have only been an average DE if it weren't for teams having to be worried about DT coming in from the other side.

Add in the fact that he sold out to the donkeys and finished his career in a downward spiral with them, no way do I think he should be in the ring of fame.

PastorMikH
03-05-2006, 09:18 PM

But what if he went to the Chiefs or Oakland? Would you still feel the same way about him?

kcxiv
03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Yeah, he simply helped us get to the AFC Championship game, dumbass.And Smith and Thomas made people start actually watching KC games again!. ALso, wasnt Smith there as well? And i will have to say, your the dumbass to think Marcus Allen did more for the Chiefs then Smith ever did, thats just idiotic.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 09:21 PM
But what if he went to the Chiefs or Oakland? Would you still feel the same way about him?

Yeah, I mentioned that after the other comment... while it would have really sucked (which is why I said I understood the bitterness) I would still tout his greatness as a Bronco.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 09:23 PM

Had Neil Smith helped us win two Super Bowls, then left for Baltimore and won one for them, I would hold absolutely no hostility towards him.

The donk fan never answered my question about Gradishar/Tom Jackson leaving Denver for the Raiders and winning the '83 championship with them. My guess is they would feel the same way we feel about Neil Smith right now.

cdcox
03-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I mentioned that after the other comment... while it would have really sucked (which is why I said I understood the bitterness) I would still tout his greatness as a Bronco.

Now, what if Sharp never won a SB with Denver? And what if you were already bitter over not having won a SB for a gabillion years?

Let's get the comparison apples to apples.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Had Neil Smith helped us win two Super Bowls, then left for Baltimore and won one for them, I would hold absolutely no hostility towards him.

The donk fan never answered my question about Gradishar/Tom Jackson leaving Denver for the Raiders and winning the '83 championship with them. My guess is they would feel the same way we feel about Neil Smith right now.

My bad... I was considering my Sharpe example as an answer to your question. Back to your question... I view it the same way. But, I would have been 12 in '83 ... I'm a whole lot older now, so it's hard to say what I'd really say.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Now, what if Sharp never won a SB with Denver? And what if you were already bitter over not having won a SB for a gabillion years?

Let's get the comparison apples to apples.

I'm going to stick with what I've said... I just don't believe I would have had that mindset. I understand why some do, but I think it's a weird way to view the player.

Frazod
03-05-2006, 09:29 PM

That's the thing. He jumped ship, went to an absolute hated division rival, dissed the fans and the team in the process, and was a part of the team that cheated to knock us out of the playoffs, AT HOME, on the way to a Super Bowl victory for the Broncos and John f#cking Elway. Good God, how could it honestly be any worse? What pure villainous scum.

Sharpe going to Baltimore isn't even in the same universe, let alone the same ball park.

I wouldn't have believed there were 36 people in Kansas City that would have wanted this back-stabbing piece of shit in the HOF, let alone 36 people on this BB.

Some people have some seriously short memories. I'll never forget the pain of that ghastly day in January of '98, the anger I felt the first time I saw Smith do his Brett swing at Arrowhead AGAINST US, the "joining Elway's good guys" comment. This guy SUCKS. PERIOD.

milkman
03-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm of the persuasion that Niel Smith would have only been an average DE if it weren't for teams having to be worried about DT coming in from the other side.

Add in the fact that he sold out to the donkeys and finished his career in a downward spiral with them, no way do I think he should be in the ring of fame.

Pretty much what I said.

cdcox
03-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm going to stick with what I've said... I just don't believe I would have had that mindset. I understand why some do, but I think it's a weird way to view the player.

I don't think it is a weird way of viewing the world at all.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 09:33 PM
And Smith and Thomas made people start actually watching KC games again!. ALso, wasnt Smith there as well? And i will have to say, your the dumbass to think Marcus Allen did more for the Chiefs then Smith ever did, thats just idiotic.

I didn't say Marcus did more for the Chiefs than Neil Smith, dumbass.

You had said Marcus didn't do sh*t for the Chiefs; I said he helped us to the AFC Championship game.

I said I'd rather see Marcus in the Chiefs Ring of Fame than Neil. Marcus didn't dick us over.

I'd also rather see Dale Carter in the Chiefs Ring of Fame before Smith. He was arguably as good as Smith with the Chiefs, and at least when he went to the Broncos, he helped destroy their team.

listopencil
03-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Seen in game films by a Denver Bronco scout, Alzado was selected by the Broncos in the fourth round (79th overall) in the 1971 NFL Draft.

Alzado's combination of speed (4.75 in the 40-yard dash) and strength made him one of the premier pash rushers in the NFL. His versatility -- he played both defensive tackle and end -- also made him a feared lineman. A starter as a rookie in 1971, Alzado said, "My first year with the Broncos, I was like a maniac. I outran, outhit, outanythinged everybody. All along I was taking steroids and I saw that they made me play better and better." After his rookie season, he returned to Yankton to complete his college education and received a B.A. in physical education with an emphasis on secondary education.

In 1972, Alzado led the Broncos in sacks (10.5) and tackles (91). Two years later, he had a team record 13 sacks. In 1977, Alzado was named AFC Defensive Lineman of the Year as the Broncos made the playoffs for the first time in franchise history after a 12-2 regular season. They won the AFC West and reached the Super Bowl before falling to the Dallas Cowboys, 27-10. The following year, Denver finished the season 10-6, repeating as division champions, but they lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs.

Prior to the 1979 season, Alzado had a contract dispute with the Broncos and walked out of training camp. An amateur boxer, he considered turning pro (he fought an exhibition against Muhammad Ali), but was then traded to the Cleveland Browns before the season. The two-time Pro Bowler (1977 and 1978) played three seasons with the Browns and registered 16.5 sacks for the team. In 1982, Alzado moved to the Los Angeles Raiders, and thrived under legendary owner Al Davis (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/football.asp?ID=4). He led the team with seven sacks in the strike-shortened season and was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

The following year, Alzado had seven sacks and teamed on the line with Hall of Famer Howie Long to lead the Raiders to a record of 12-4-0 and a 38-9 victory over the Washington Redskins in the Super Bowl. Alzado retired after the 1985 season, having recorded eight points that year (safety, and fumble recovery for touchdown). Lyle played in a total of 196 games in the NFL, and was an All-Pro from 1977-1980, and again in 1982. After his playing career ended, he appeared in 15 movies before being diagnosed with brain cancer. In a 1991

http://www.jewsinsports.org/profile.asp?sport=football&ID=307

It would closer to the mark to ask Bronco fans how they feel about Alzado.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Seen in game films by a Denver Bronco scout, Alzado was selected by the Broncos in the fourth round (79th overall) in the 1971 NFL Draft.

Alzado's combination of speed (4.75 in the 40-yard dash) and strength made him one of the premier pash rushers in the NFL. His versatility -- he played both defensive tackle and end -- also made him a feared lineman. A starter as a rookie in 1971, Alzado said, "My first year with the Broncos, I was like a maniac. I outran, outhit, outanythinged everybody. All along I was taking steroids and I saw that they made me play better and better." After his rookie season, he returned to Yankton to complete his college education and received a B.A. in physical education with an emphasis on secondary education.

In 1972, Alzado led the Broncos in sacks (10.5) and tackles (91). Two years later, he had a team record 13 sacks. In 1977, Alzado was named AFC Defensive Lineman of the Year as the Broncos made the playoffs for the first time in franchise history after a 12-2 regular season. They won the AFC West and reached the Super Bowl before falling to the Dallas Cowboys, 27-10. The following year, Denver finished the season 10-6, repeating as division champions, but they lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs.

Prior to the 1979 season, Alzado had a contract dispute with the Broncos and walked out of training camp. An amateur boxer, he considered turning pro (he fought an exhibition against Muhammad Ali), but was then traded to the Cleveland Browns before the season. The two-time Pro Bowler (1977 and 1978) played three seasons with the Browns and registered 16.5 sacks for the team. In 1982, Alzado moved to the Los Angeles Raiders, and thrived under legendary owner Al Davis (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/football.asp?ID=4). He led the team with seven sacks in the strike-shortened season and was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

The following year, Alzado had seven sacks and teamed on the line with Hall of Famer Howie Long to lead the Raiders to a record of 12-4-0 and a 38-9 victory over the Washington Redskins in the Super Bowl. Alzado retired after the 1985 season, having recorded eight points that year (safety, and fumble recovery for touchdown). Lyle played in a total of 196 games in the NFL, and was an All-Pro from 1977-1980, and again in 1982. After his playing career ended, he appeared in 15 movies before being diagnosed with brain cancer. In a 1991

http://www.jewsinsports.org/profile.asp?sport=football&ID=307

It would closer to the mark to ask Bronco fans how they feel about Alzado.

Thanks. That's a better comparison, but he went to Cleveland first and didn't win the Super Bowl with the Raiders until 5 years after he left Denver. Smith won it the year after he left the Chiefs. Then won it again the next year.

It's funny that Bronco fans don't tout Alzado for the HOF like they do with Gradishar and Tom Jackson. I wonder why.

shaneo69
03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks. That's a better comparison, but he went to Cleveland first and didn't win the Super Bowl with the Raiders until 5 years after he left Denver. Smith won it the year after he left the Chiefs. Then won it again the next year.

It's funny that Bronco fans don't tout Alzado for the HOF like they do with Gradishar and Tom Jackson. I wonder why.

Is Alzado in the Broncos' Ring of Fame, after a stellar 8 year career with the organization?

listopencil
03-05-2006, 09:47 PM

Heh, because he was a dirty stinkin' Raider of course.

PastorMikH
03-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Even if Neil had been one of the best DEs in the game, and went to someone that isn't a rival, still shouldn't get such an honor. To me, that Ring of Fame is for people that played at an extremely high level for the Chiefs and (call me old fashioned) ends their career here.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
... and (call me old fashioned) ends their career here.

That's gonna be a tough one to do going forward with the way players move around.

PastorMikH
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
That's gonna be a tough one to do going forward with the way players move around.

I know, but at the same time, putting up every player that came in for a season or two and put up decent numbers is going to cause problems for the custodian that has to find space for the paint.

However, right now we have Will Shields and Tony Gonzales that are legit canidates for the Ring of Fame (Drafted by us and have a good chance of ending their career with us). There is also a possibility that a few players that bounced around in FA before settling and becoming natives could get into the ring for example Priest and maybe even Trent as well.

listopencil
03-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Is Alzado in the Broncos' Ring of Fame, after a stellar 8 year career with the organization?

No, and neither is he:

#24 - CB - 1963-1966 - Inducted: 1984

Cornerback Willie Brown was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1984. An undrafted free agent, Brown was cut by the Oilers before joining the Broncos in 1963. He was named All-American Football League in 1964. He intercepted nine passes that season, including a team-record four in one game (Nov. 15, 1964 vs. New York), and was named the outstanding back in the AFL All-Star game in January, 1965. Prior to the 1967 season, he, along with quarterback Mickey Slaughter, was traded to the Raiders for defensive tackle Rex Mirich and a draft choice. Possibly one of the worst trades in NFL history, Brown went on to play twelve more seasons in Oakland (1967-'78) where he was an all-league performer every year from 1968 to 1973, while making three AFL All-Star game (1967-'69) and four Pro Bowl (1970-'73) appearances.

listopencil
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
http://www.raiders.com/images/pics/wbronw_sb.jpg

I think this is a pic of Old Man Willie setting a record for an INT return in a SuperBowl. It was broken this year by Kelly Herndon, another ex-Bronco DB.

PastorMikH
03-05-2006, 11:21 PM
What's really awesome is Jared Allen is on pace to beat Smith's sack record, not only that, he's got 2x as many sacks as Neil did in his first 2 years here. AND he doesn't have someone like DT on the other side for teams to plan for, well, uhm, exept for Hicks.

If they turn DJ loose to attack from the opposite side of Allen, lookout!

Hammock Parties
03-05-2006, 11:36 PM
If they turn DJ loose to attack from the opposite side of Allen, lookout!

We've been over this before. DJ isn't much of a pass rusher.

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 12:37 AM
We've been over this before. DJ isn't much of a pass rusher.

Never will be as long as they keep sending him back into coverage and letting Bell do the pass rushing. I believe Plummer would also prefer him NOT pass rushing from now on either.

Hammock Parties
03-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Never will be as long as they keep sending him back into coverage and letting Bell do the pass rushing. I believe Plummer would also prefer him NOT pass rushing from now on either.

Running straight at the QB unblocked is not really "pass rushing."

DJ is a coverage LB.

tk13
03-06-2006, 12:45 AM
I think DJ could be an all-around linebacker. He is a good coverage guy but he also runs like a deer and is good at stripping the ball, the tools are there.

PastorMikH
03-06-2006, 12:47 AM
I think DJ could be an all-around linebacker. He is a good coverage guy but he also runs like a deer and is good at stripping the ball, the tools are there.

Nope. He's only a coverage LB.

BigMeatballDave
03-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Running straight at the QB unblocked is not really "pass rushing."

DJ is a coverage LB.WTF is up with that ghey-ass sig?
ROFL

Nightwish
03-06-2006, 01:28 AM
As a Chief, he was a great defensive player. As a Bronco, he lost a lot of his edge, and was a rather mediocre player. But that doesn't take away from what he did in KC. He and DT made a great team!

Simplex3
03-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Which is why I say keep him the f**k out. It's obvious that he didn't care about the Chiefs.

royr17
03-06-2006, 02:55 AM
So what if Neil won 2 super bowls with Denver, we all know his best years was when he was a Chief and the Donkeys fans know that too.

CHENZ A!
03-06-2006, 03:00 AM
Does Niel ever go back to Denver? just curious, haters.. #90 played his ass off for an extended period of time for US, and to me he deserves it.

MOhillbilly
03-06-2006, 08:32 AM
I still wear my number 90 jersey. The guy was a phenominal lineman for the Chiefs.

Hell yes Smith should be in!

Rausch
03-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Sooner suck a dick as have Smith in the CHOF...

Mile High Mania
03-06-2006, 08:52 AM

Sounds like you may soon have a connection to Brokeback Mountain.

Bwana
03-06-2006, 08:52 AM

ROFL

No doubt.

StcChief
03-06-2006, 10:07 AM
His numbers as a Chief speak for themselves.
The fact he couldn't retire as a Chief is him/Mgmt not seeing a continuing future.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 10:52 AM
C'mon guys show some love.

Neil was faithful to his first love, the Chiefs, for years. He had a mid-life crisis and hooked up with a much hotter chick for a couple of years. She gave him things the Chiefs never could.

Now he has it out of his system and has gone back to his homely but faithful first love.

Can't you please find it in your heart to take him back? (he promises to keep the rings out of sight)

Don't just take my word for it, here is Neil's emotional explanation of his unfaithfulness to the good people of KC:

"Pray to J I get the same ol' same ol'.
Eh. Yo knock yourself a pro slick, gray matter live performas down now take TCB'in man.
Hey, you know what they say... See a broad, to get that booty yak 'em.
Leg 'er down 'n smack 'em yak 'em
Cold got to be. You know? Shiiiiit."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/quotes

melbar
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Yep- with an apology to the Chiefs fans...

TEX
03-06-2006, 01:55 PM
100% YES

Rausch
03-07-2006, 01:18 AM
C'mon guys show some love.

Neil was faithful to his first love, the Chiefs, for years. He had a mid-life crisis and hooked up with a much hotter chick for a couple of years. She gave him things the Chiefs never could.

That's all nice and fuzzy.

But when the NFL cameras were on he leaned over to another defensive player (can't remember who) on the Denver sideline while they were trouncing our asses and said "Nice to finally play for the good guys."

Hey Neil, hope you die of ass cancer...

greg63
03-07-2006, 01:20 AM
What; no Gaz option?

Smith was great with the Chiefs, IMO, but I have to admit having a bad taste in my mouth when thinking about him playing for the donks.

Rausch
03-07-2006, 01:22 AM
What; no Gaz option?

Gaz is MIA...

SoCalBronco
03-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Wow. Alot of hatred here. Understandable I guess.

MahiMike
03-07-2006, 07:48 AM

Exactly. At the time Carl chose between Neil and Derrick. Of course he kept his boy Derrick. Neil had little choice. Those 2 were awesome together!

Gaz
03-07-2006, 08:21 AM
It is a business.

I did not cheer for him as a Bronco, but Smith is hardly a traitor.

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot fault the guy for following the cash.

Mr. Kotter
03-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Neil had some great years as a Chief; I gotta say though, the way he left...especially to the Donkeys.....really makes this a much tougher decision than it really should be. He had a great career here. We sure as hell could use him, in his prime, opposite Allen right now.

Brock
03-07-2006, 08:41 AM
If it weren't for the idiot Schottenheimer, Smith never would have been a Bronco. At least put the blame on the right moron.

greg63
03-07-2006, 11:55 AM
It is a business.

I did not cheer for him as a Bronco, but Smith is hardly a traitor.

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot fault the guy for following the cash.

There you are; you were conspicuous by your absence.

Iowanian
03-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Seems he talked alot of crap about Kc when he left...for the Hated Donkeys.

Hell no.

go bo
03-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Seems he talked alot of crap about Kc when he left...for the Hated Donkeys.

Hell no.well, while perfectly clear, that just didn't meet the criteria expected from the keyboard of doom...

not one colorful, original term of endearment in the whole thing (hated d-onkey is too trite to count)...

surely you can create a more artistic description of your opinion of mr. smith...

seriously, i know you can do it... :p :p :p

go bo
03-07-2006, 12:41 PM
say, how did you get the thing to say d0nkeys instead of donkeys?

MOhillbilly
03-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Neil had some great years as a Chief; I gotta say though, the way he left...especially to the Donkeys.....really makes this a much tougher decision than it really should be. He had a great career here. We sure as hell could use him, in his prime, opposite Allen right now.

oh i hear ya. he was my favorite player and went to the enemies camp. To say i held a grudge would be to understate the fact that the #90 jersey i have is like new.

but now its water under the bridge, while i dont hate him he was still big part of the gruesome twosome that were #58 & #90 and belongs in the KC Chiefs HOF.

the NFL outlawed the flinch because of Smith. Come on if that doesnt speak volumes about his playing days what does?