PDA

View Full Version : This deserves a thread by itself .............

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 07:51 AM
What an astounding accomplishment !:eek:

Props to our rivals to the east ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14026782.htm

MU 64, NEBRASKA 63
Missouri avoids last place
Brown’s hook caps Tigers’ comeback
By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star

COLUMBIA — Marshall Brown’s right-handed half hook from the lane with just 3.3 seconds to play kept Missouri from finishing in the Big 12 basketball basement.

But the way this season has gone — Missouri’s 64-63 nail-biter over Nebraska was just the Tigers’ second victory in the last dozen games — there were a lot of Tigers holding their breath as Nebraska’s Jason Dourisseau launched a 60-foot prayer as time ran out.

“Those kind of shots have been going in against us all year,” said Thomas Gardner, who almost personally dragged Missouri out of an 11-point deficit with 11 consecutive points in the final 3 minutes. “My heart kind of dropped. Luckily he missed it. And luckily Kevin (Young) didn’t get called for a foul for reaching in.”

Dourisseau said he felt contact as he tried to get close enough for his wing and a prayer.

“I actually thought they fouled me a couple of times before I got it off,” Dourisseau said.

But then Dourisseau’s hop, skip and a jump — it sure looked like traveling to what was left of 9,388 at Mizzou Arena — wasn’t called either.

Ultimately Brown’s make and Dourisseau’s miss were what it took for Missouri to avoid finishing dead last in a conference race for the first time in 39 seasons.

The season before Norm Stewart replaced him, Bob Vanatta’s 1966-’67 Tigers, finished 3-22 and, at 1-13, alone in the basement of the old Big Eight Conference. Oh yeah, and Vanatta’s penultimate MU team had finished 3-21 overall and, at 1-13, dead last in the Big Eight.

With 4 minutes, 43 seconds to play, Wes Wilkinson had put Nebraska — already having clinched a sixth-place finish in the Big 12 — on top 59-48 with a three-pointer from the right wing.

The only thing keeping Missouri even that close was the fact that reserve guard Marcus Watkins was near the end of an eight-point scoring run for the Tigers.

And then Gardner, who finished with 23 points, went on a sizzle of his own starting with 2:53 left.

Gardner hit a three, then another three, then three free throws. When Gardner hit a left-handed running drive down the lane with 1:06 to play, he’d scored 11 points in a row. Missouri led 62-61.

“I’ve got to shoulder a lot of the blame,” Dourisseau said. “I was guarding him, and Gardner went off on me the last couple of minutes. He made some tremendous shots.”

Dourisseau looked as if he might have made Gardner’s late heroics meaningless when, with 42.5 seconds, he was fouled and made both ends of a one and one.

Nebraska led 63-62.

Missouri was clearly desperate.

Gardner drove wildly and missed with 28 seconds to play. Jimmy McKinney missed from three 3 seconds later. Then there was a mad scramble for a loose ball, and Nebraska got it on the alternating possession with 20.2 seconds left under the MU basket.

Wilkinson was immediately fouled but missed the front end of a one-and-one at 19.6, and Young got the rebound.

Missouri called a timeout with 13.7 seconds left.

And then the real wildness began.

The play was supposed to be Brown setting a pick for Gardner, but Nebraska beat that play. McKinney dribbled around the right flank and thought about launching one of his fade-away two-pointers.

But McKinney had already missed nine of 11 shots on the way to six points in his final home game as a Tiger.

“I didn’t want to force it,” he said. “I passed it off to Cap.”

That would be Young, who was three for 11 from the field and – while dragging down 12 rebounds – scored only seven points in his final game at Mizzou Arena.

“He gave it to Marshall,” McKinney said, “and Marshall went up strong and hit the half hook.”

Only 2.9 seconds showed on the clock. But referees checked and reset the clock to 3.3 seconds.

Dourisseau dribbled up the middle of the court to just short of midcourt and launched. McKinney feared the worst.

“I didn’t breathe,” McKinney said. “I didn’t do anything because it looked good. I was right next to him, and I looked at the way he was looking at it, and I thought it was going in.”

It didn’t, and Nebraska finished 17-12 overall and 7-9 in the Big 12.

Missouri’s victory puts the Tigers as the 11th seed and into an 8:20 p.m. Thursday rematch with Nebraska in the first round of the Big 12 tournament in Dallas.

How much did Missouri need this? How much did the Tigers want it?

Well, with 3:34 left and Missouri down 59-50, acting coach Melvin Watkins called a timeout and ripped into his Tigers.

“If you saw me,” Watkins said, “you saw the blood vessels popping in my head and almost passing out. I was begging them at that point.

“I just didn’t want us to lie down. And for a moment there it looked like, ‘Well, Coach, this may be a little too deep for us.’

“So I kind of raised my voice a little bit to get them to collectively come back.”

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bob Dole
03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Way to put those Mizzou fans in their place!

They really don't have any clue that their men's basketball program is a complete mess and their team sucks. Maybe this will shut them all up.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 08:00 AM
"I actually thought they fouled me a couple of times before I got it off,” Dourisseau said."

What a pussy.

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 08:04 AM

They really don't have any clue that their men's basketball program is a complete mess and their team sucks. Maybe this will shut them all up.

No kidding, Best/sad ( you call it ) part is the Kittens from AFHwest beat you in the standings this year. :rolleyes:

Rausch
03-06-2006, 08:06 AM

They really don't have any clue that their men's basketball program is a complete mess and their team sucks.

No, really, it's pretty clear...

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 08:18 AM
They need an inside game, and need to quit living and dying by the 3. They seem to do that every game.

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 08:22 AM
They need an inside game, and need to quit living and dying by the 3. They seem to do that every game.

Been that way since Quinn showed up.

redfan
03-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Heck, even a blind squirrel with no nose can find an acorn every once in a while. Don't give up yet MU fan, those big dance tourney hopes are still alive! The constant Gardner and the Melvins could run the table!

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Heck, even a blind squirrel with no nose can find an acorn every once in a while. Don't give up yet MU fan, those big dance tourney hopes are still alive! The constant Gardner and the Melvins could run the table!

ROFL

That would be the most shocking event in the history of college basketball.

Nice dream........... :)

beer bacon
03-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Just a reminder. MU isn't really much of a rival to KU. That is why this thread was started.

beavis
03-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Just a reminder. MU isn't really much of a rival to KU. That is why this thread was started.
OMGZZ!!!!!!!!1111 JOOO PWNEED US!!!!1111111111

beavis
03-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Beakers are so clever. They must have Witty Remarks 101 instead of freshman seminar.

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 10:48 AM
MUrons are constantly insearch of a little excitement, it sucks to be them. They can only find it when a rival team lose ....... That must really suck ............

Dartgod
03-06-2006, 11:27 AM
No kidding, Best/sad ( you call it ) part is the Kittens from AFHwest beat you in the standings this year. :rolleyes:
I'm assuming that AFHwest means Allen Field House west, aka Mizzou Arena, where the Jayhawks have lost two straight to the "kittens"?

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm assuming that AFHwest means Allen Field House west, aka Mizzou Arena, where the Jayhawks have lost two straight to the "kittens"?
You dumb Husker fan. Nebraska, where the N stands for Nowledge.

:)

Dartgod
03-06-2006, 11:31 AM
You're not very good at geography, are you?

Yeah, I'm a dumbass. I was going to delete my post, but I'll leave it there for everyone to laugh at.

Pile on...

|Zach|
03-06-2006, 11:33 AM
This is a very sad thread. And it has nothing to do with how awful MU is this year.

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
ROFL As this thread illustrates, KU fans are far above taking glee in the downfall of another team.

Just a little payback to a couple of good ribbing MUrons friends.........

It's all good, kinda like all is fair in love and war ?

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 01:18 PM

:LOL: never heard that one before.

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 01:21 PM
This is a very sad thread. And it has nothing to do with how awful MU is this year.

It might relate however, to the fact that MU almost pissed away that game with McKinney's brilliant "Senior Day Hero" decision to throw up a NBA range 3pter when down by only one point with 20sec left in the game.

Beating Nebraska should satisfy every senior's "Senior Day".

Bearcat
03-06-2006, 02:04 PM

I think it's a great accomplishment for MU fans. About 20 posts, and no mention of that school that rhymes with Ducknell.

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 02:09 PM
I think it's a great accomplishment for MU fans. About 20 posts, and no mention of that school that rhymes with Ducknell.

Oh, give them time. Someone will come along and claim it was a clossal failure we lost to Bucknell in the NCAA touney. In fact,KU was a bigger failure than MU not making the tourney and finishing 11th out of 12 teams.

One of them will chime in........

Dartgod
03-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Oh, give them time. Someone will come along and claim it was a clossal failure we lost to Bucknell in the NCAA touney. In fact,KU was a bigger failure than MU not making the tourney and finishing 11th out of 12 teams.

One of them will chime in........
You hope. As it is, you look pretty pathetic for starting this.

Clearly, the "MUrons" don't care...

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 03:03 PM
You hope. As it is, you look pretty pathetic for starting this.

Clearly, the "MUrons" don't care...

Hope has nothing to do with it.

As for don't care, maybe they are getting wiser ?
:hmmm: Naw, it just can't be ............... :p

BTW, any news on who MU is targeting for the new coach ?

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Hope has nothing to do with it.

As for don't care, maybe they are getting wiser ?
:hmmm: Naw, it just can't be ............... :p

BTW, any news on who MU is targeting for the new coach ?

As far as not caring goes. What do they have to care about? A corrupt program that finished almost dead last in the Big12. Then they congrats KU fans for winning a conference championship in a "soft and weak" Big12. Well ok that may be true as the Big12 did in fact have a down year, but doesnt that make matters look even worse for MU???? hmmm.

I heard there was a party from MU at the MVC championship tourney scouting the coaches from Southern Illinois, Creighton, and Northern Iowa. Thats really all there is to that. No one is being singled out yet as the next coach.

redbrian
03-06-2006, 04:45 PM
For fans who follow more than just basketball. :p

MU Baseball

MU’s Scherzer sees a chance at being the No. 1 draft pick

Scherzer went 9-4 with a 1.86 ERA last season. He struck out a school-record 131. Most impressive, though, he yielded just nine extra-base hits in 106 1/3 innings, meaning batters had a .211 slugging percentage against Scherzer.

On May 6, at Nebraska, Scherzer held a 2-1 lead going into the eighth inning. He struck out five of the final six hitters, including national player of the year Alex Gordon — the Royals’ first-round pick last year — and cinched his first complete game.

Last summer, Scherzer pitched for the USA Baseball national team, made up of top college players. They played in Japan and Taiwan and were host to games against Italy and Nicaragua.
In the second game against Nicaragua, Scherzer had runners on second and third with one out. He struck out the first hitter on a breaking ball. On the second, he threw three straight fastballs: 95 mph, 98 mph and 99 mph, all swinging strikes.

MU Wresting

Seven Tiger Wrestlers Qualify for NCAA Championships

March 5, 2006
Ames, Iowa. - Seven Missouri wrestlers will compete in the 2006 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, March 16-18, in Oklahoma City, Okla

Two-time 174-pound Big 12 Champion Ben Askren (Hartland, Wis.) will make his third consecutive appearance at the NCAA Championships. The two-time NCAA runner up is a perfect 40-0 on the season and recently claimed Big 12 honors after besting Nebraska's Jacob Klein 17-7 in Hilton Coliseum.

Junior 165-pound grappler Matt Pell (Luxemburg, Wis.) will vie for his second All-America honor. After finishing seventh at 184-pounds last season, Pell is looking for his first honor at 165 pounds.

Junior Tyler McCormick (Leawood, Kan.) and redshirt freshman Raymond Jordan (New Bern, N.C.) earned their first automatic bids to an NCAA Championship event with their second place finishes at 133 and 184 pounds respectively.

Senior Austin DeVoe (125, Columbus, Kan.), redshirt freshman Michael Chandler (157, High Ridge, Mo.) and senior Jeff Foust (197, Blue Springs, Mo.) all received wild card bids immediately following Saturday night's Big 12 Championship event. This marks the first appearance for both DeVoe and Chandler and second for Foust.

125-Austin DeVoe
133-Tyler McCormick
157-Michael Chandler
165-Matt Pell
174-Ben Askren
184-Raymond Jordan
197-Jeff Foust

Skip Towne
03-06-2006, 05:32 PM

MU Baseball

MU’s Scherzer sees a chance at being the No. 1 draft pick

Scherzer went 9-4 with a 1.86 ERA last season. He struck out a school-record 131. Most impressive, though, he yielded just nine extra-base hits in 106 1/3 innings, meaning batters had a .211 slugging percentage against Scherzer.

On May 6, at Nebraska, Scherzer held a 2-1 lead going into the eighth inning. He struck out five of the final six hitters, including national player of the year Alex Gordon — the Royals’ first-round pick last year — and cinched his first complete game.

Last summer, Scherzer pitched for the USA Baseball national team, made up of top college players. They played in Japan and Taiwan and were host to games against Italy and Nicaragua.
In the second game against Nicaragua, Scherzer had runners on second and third with one out. He struck out the first hitter on a breaking ball. On the second, he threw three straight fastballs: 95 mph, 98 mph and 99 mph, all swinging strikes.

MU Wresting

Seven Tiger Wrestlers Qualify for NCAA Championships

March 5, 2006
Ames, Iowa. - Seven Missouri wrestlers will compete in the 2006 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, March 16-18, in Oklahoma City, Okla

Two-time 174-pound Big 12 Champion Ben Askren (Hartland, Wis.) will make his third consecutive appearance at the NCAA Championships. The two-time NCAA runner up is a perfect 40-0 on the season and recently claimed Big 12 honors after besting Nebraska's Jacob Klein 17-7 in Hilton Coliseum.

Junior 165-pound grappler Matt Pell (Luxemburg, Wis.) will vie for his second All-America honor. After finishing seventh at 184-pounds last season, Pell is looking for his first honor at 165 pounds.

Junior Tyler McCormick (Leawood, Kan.) and redshirt freshman Raymond Jordan (New Bern, N.C.) earned their first automatic bids to an NCAA Championship event with their second place finishes at 133 and 184 pounds respectively.

Senior Austin DeVoe (125, Columbus, Kan.), redshirt freshman Michael Chandler (157, High Ridge, Mo.) and senior Jeff Foust (197, Blue Springs, Mo.) all received wild card bids immediately following Saturday night's Big 12 Championship event. This marks the first appearance for both DeVoe and Chandler and second for Foust.

125-Austin DeVoe
133-Tyler McCormick
157-Michael Chandler
165-Matt Pell
174-Ben Askren
184-Raymond Jordan
197-Jeff Foust
:ZZZ:

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM

Sorry, this is a KU thread, you won't find them here.

KevB
03-06-2006, 07:45 PM

As a KSU fan, I would never be caught dead mentioning that team in a thread here at Chiefs Planet.
:p

ROYC75
03-06-2006, 08:13 PM
As a KSU fan, I would never be caught dead mentioning that team in a thread here at Chiefs Planet.

After your teams performances the past few years, we understand you choice of better judgement. :D

beer bacon
03-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Book it. KU is going to lose to UMKC in the first round of next year's tourney.

jspchief
03-21-2006, 08:40 AM
This bump fits nicely with all the KU fans whining about the ribbing they got this week.

ROYC75
03-21-2006, 08:55 AM
This bump fits nicely with all the KU fans whining about the ribbing they got this week.

Heh, ya think ? For years MU has bashed any KU loss. It's a ritual for them. But MU has so many more losses than KU does per year, it's best for us to wait till the end of the year to give them credit on a wonderful season.

In reality, You seem to be motivated by a KU loss as well. Enjoy it, it's just part of the game. :D

BTW, How did Iowa do ? It seems that they did about as well .

Lzen
03-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Heh, ya think ? For years MU has bashed any KU loss. It's a ritual for them. But MU has so many more losses than KU does per year, it's best for us to wait till the end of the year to give them credit on a wonderful season.

In reality, You seem to be motivated by a KU loss as well. Enjoy it, it's just part of the game. :D

BTW, How did Iowa do ? It seems that they did about as well .

Iowa did really well, as shown in my sig. ;)

MU did.........oh......wait......MU didn't get invited to any postseason tourney.

jspchief
03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
BTW, How did Iowa do ? It seems that they did about as well .Iowa got bitch slapped in the tourny just like KU did. I'm just glad I didn't go around puffing out my chest and predicting 20 point victories.

ROYC75
03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Iowa got bitch slapped in the tourny just like KU did. I'm just glad I didn't go around puffing out my chest and predicting 20 point victories.

Ooohhh, nice poke. BTA, maybe you didn't have the confidence in Iowa as I did in KU. Kinda like a betting man does........

jspchief
03-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Ooohhh, nice poke. BTA, maybe you didn't have the confidence in Iowa as I did in KU. Kinda like a betting man does........
:pThere's a difference between confidence and willingness to make an ass of oneself through cocky predictions.

ROYC75
03-21-2006, 10:48 PM
There's a difference between confidence and willingness to make an ass of oneself through cocky predictions.

Really, how is it that you know me better than I know myself.

Again, being over confident does make you look like a fool from time to time. No big deal, I was wrong, not the 1st nor will it be the last.I happen to love that team and as much as I love the Chiefs. God only knows they have let me down from time to time.

I bet you have never been over confident before only to find that your team has lost, right ?

Why is it somebody always have to make mountain out of a mole hill ?