PDA

View Full Version : The cheerleader that fell yesterday broke her neck

chiefqueen
03-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Cheerleader continues cheering after breaking neck

Associated Press

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_In_House_Marketing/Dec_2005/espn-146x46-0001.gif (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=3888C13B-96C2-418B-8B86-8297226FA38A&drop=0&addata=1332:64:218152:65&a=1&goto=http://www.mobileespn.com?campaign=mobile&source=insider_ah)

ST. LOUIS -- Kristi Yamaoka wasn't about to let a broken neck and concussion keep her school spirit down.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncaa/2006/0306/photo/a_yamaoka_275.jpg
AP Photo
Yamaoka's routine from her gurney got her a standing ovation.

The Southern Illinois University cheerleader lost her balance during a routine Sunday and fell about 15 feet onto her head, hushing the crowd of about 14,000 as she was placed in a back and neck brace.

But the 18-year-old sophomore, in fair condition Monday and expected to make a full recovery from chipped neck vertebra and a concussion, let the stunned fans and national television audience know right away that she was going to be OK.

When the pep band fired up SIU's fight song "Go Southern Go," Yamaoka gave a two-handed thumbs up from the gurney, then moved her arms -- the only things not strapped down -- in time to the music and cheered.

"As long as my arms were functioning, I could do the fight song," a groggy Yamaoka told The Associated Press by telephone Monday morning from Saint Louis University Hospital.

"I just knew that it would be a little easier for my team and squad to concentrate if they knew I was OK and not worrying about me," she said. "I didn't want the team to get distracted. I needed them to win for me."
They did. The Salukis beat Bradley 59-46 in the Missouri Valley Conference tournament final, earning their fifth-straight berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Yamaoka's routine from the gurney got her a standing ovation at the Savvis Center and mention later on national sports TV highlights packages. She said her season is over -- doctors have told her not to perform for six weeks.

Yamaoka, of Springfield, Ill., said she doesn't remember the midcourt tumble during a timeout with 3:25 left to play. She was supposed to dismount to the front of the human pyramid, where two cheerleaders were ready to catch her, said the squad's cheerleading coach, Jennifer Graeff.
But Yamaoka lost her balance and tumbled off the back, landing on her head.

"It's a little bit scary falling from 15 feet," Yamaoka said. "That kind of thing doesn't happen often."

Yamaoka was motionless for a few minutes on the court, but says she recalls hearing SIU's fight song and couldn't resist leading the cheer as she was taken away in a brace.

"I do remember that, the fight song," she said.

Graeff urged Yamaoka to stay still, fearing her cheer could hurt her more. But Graeff saw that the medical crews at Yamaoka's side didn't seem to have much of a problem with the impromptu show of spirit, so Graeff let it go.

"She didn't want to leave the floor. She said, 'Just let me finish the game,"' Graeff said Monday. "That's Kristi -- 100 percent school spirit."
Yamaoka asked about whether anyone had videotaped the game, specifically the last 4 minutes, Graeff said.

"I just thought she wanted to see the fall," Graeff said. "But she wanted to see how the Salukis did."

leviw
03-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Guess they don't have to make grades to stay on the cheerleading squad.

18 makes her a young sophomore.

Mr. Laz
03-06-2006, 04:32 PM
no paralysis is the key ... she'll be fine

HemiEd
03-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Wow, that is amazing. I watched her being carted off, glad she is going to ok.

leviw
03-06-2006, 04:35 PM
no paralysis is the key ... she'll be fine

For being all gurney-ed up, looks pretty hot. I'd welcome her home from the hospital.

kaplin42
03-06-2006, 04:37 PM
For being all gurney-ed up, looks pretty hot. I'd welcome her home from the hospital.

Yeah I was thinking I would help her with her physical therapy for sure.

chiefqueen
03-06-2006, 04:39 PM
I know at first that seem odd to me, but high school kids can now begin taking AP courses and receiving college credit for them as early as 10th grade, it is not uncommon seeing 18 year-olds arriving on college campuses having enough credits to be sophomores or even juniors.

Mr. Laz
03-06-2006, 04:39 PM
i bet some serious BJ work would strengthen that neck right up.

leviw
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I know at first that seem odd to me, but high school kids can now begin taking AP courses and receiving college credit for them as early as 10th grade, it is not uncommon seeing 18 year-olds arriving on college campuses having enough credits to be sophomores or even juniors.

I'm aware. Last weekend I had sex with a girl who swore up and down she was a freshman. Come to find out it was completley illegal on my part. Who knew?

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I dont care if people ram me about this issue, but I think its dumb that the media is making as big a deal about this as they are. This is nothing more than an athlete being carted off the field or something, waiving to the crowd or giving the thumbs up as they go into the tunnel. I'm glad she'll be okay though. That was indeed a nasty fall.

PS - off the topic if I see that damn Jordan commerical where the kids do all of his signature dunks/shots one more time I'm gonna shoot my TV.

sedated
03-06-2006, 04:45 PM
She broke her neck and wanted to finish the game.

Then asked for a tape of the end of the game.

That's mind kind of chick.

Plus, she's a cheerleader so she must be hot.

I'd definitely do her.

...just have to keep her head from bumping against my headboard

DMAC
03-06-2006, 04:53 PM
She must have jogged her brain pretty good, cause it was kinda weird her doing the cheers while being carted off. She might be one of those girls that does her arms like that while she is just walking down the street. OOKAAYYY!!

ChiefsFire
03-06-2006, 05:59 PM
As usual, I'm the dumbass.

REP

Sure-Oz
03-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I saw that, pretty cool nad she was pretty good looking too, hope she gets better fast.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Does her cooter still work okay?

Hammock Parties
03-06-2006, 06:03 PM
i bet some serious BJ work would strengthen that neck right up.

Dammit I wanted to make the first BJ joke.

DJay23
03-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Wilbon made a good point on PTI. Here's this little girl falling from, what, 8 feet and hitting a hard wood surface on her head/back, whatever. She gets wheeled off on a REAL stretcher all the while, still doing her cheers. But we have this shmuck last week get hit by a basketball in the T-wolves game and leave on a gurney? What a puss in boots.

CoMoChief
03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Wilbon made a good point on PTI. Here's this little girl falling from, what, 8 feet and hitting a hard wood surface on her head/back, whatever. She gets wheeled off on a REAL stretcher all the while, still doing her cheers. But we have this shmuck last week get hit by a basketball in the T-wolves game and leave on a gurney? What a puss in boots.

Yeah that guy was an official boner in my book. What a pussy. What about the kids at school telling the guy's child that his dad is a pussy?

Dunit35
03-06-2006, 06:26 PM

I had 21 college credit hours when I graduated HS and it took me one actual college semester to be a sophmore. Many of my friends had 30+, 40+ hours of college credit hours when they left HS.

ChiefsFanatic
03-06-2006, 06:37 PM
That arena was so quiet, it was kinda spooky.

VonneMarie
03-06-2006, 06:42 PM
What a sport finishing her routine on the stretcher...

Skip Towne
03-06-2006, 06:55 PM
The account I read said she fell 15 feet.

Bearcat
03-06-2006, 07:05 PM

Maybe it was 8 feet from where she was standing, but a 15 foot trip for her head... wait, that can't be right...

JBucc
03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
From the video it looked like she was standing on top of two stacks of girls

DJay23
03-06-2006, 08:51 PM
From the video it looked like she was standing on top of two stacks of girls
I guess I didn't pay attention to who/what she was standing on. I just assumed it was one dude holding her up. Either way, it's a long way to fall onto a basketball court.

StcChief
03-08-2006, 12:13 AM
She'll be alright, won't be Cheering for awhile.

greg63
03-08-2006, 12:51 AM
18 makes her a young sophomore.

True; my oldest is twenty and still a college sophomore.

Bob Dole
03-08-2006, 05:08 AM
Either way, it's a long way to fall onto a basketball court.

It is. Bob Dole's youngest used to be the one always on top of the formation and it made Bob Dole a nervous wreck to watch it.