PDA

View Full Version : donks re-sign courtney brown

Mr. Laz
03-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Another One in the Fold

Courtney Brown had every reason to celebrate in Week 2 against San Diego when he notched what was his first regular-season sack in 23 months.

By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The ongoing uncertainty regarding which of two potential salary-cap conditions will exist during the coming season did not prevent the Broncos from continuing the business of keeping their players, the latest of which is defensive end Courtney Brown.

The Broncos announced Tuesday morning that the former No. 1 overall draft pick signed a contract extension that will keep him in Denver through the 2009 season. It also perpetuated the team's offseason priority of keeping as many of the players from last year's 13-3 AFC finalists as possible.

"Going into 2006, it's our job to try and improve the football team and we will certainly do that, but the main focus was to keep this group together and get our guys re-signed," General Manager Ted Sundquist said.

The re-signing of Brown comes amidst a seven-week stretch that has now seen the Broncos work out contracts or extensions with six players. Brown is the fourth full-time starter among the six, joining center Tom Nalen, offensive tackle Matt Lepsis and safety John Lynch.

"I couldn’t be more pleased that we were able to reach an agreement with Courtney," Sundquist said. "Courtney came to our team last season and helped solidify a defensive front that clearly became a strength of our football team. He proved to be an outstanding addition to the Broncos both on and off the field, and I’m excited that he will continue to be a key component of our defense and help us accomplish our goal of winning another World Championship."

Brown started in 13 games last year and played in 14 in his first season with the Broncos. The 14 games were the most for Brown in a single season since his rookie campaign of 2000, which followed his acquisition as the No. 1 pick in that year's draft by the Cleveland Browns.

Injuries dogged Brown throughout the years that followed, as he only played in 31 of a possible 64 regular-season games from 2001 through 2004. However, Brown proved durable in his first season with the Broncos, and even overcame a dislocated elbow suffered in a training-camp practice to return to action by Week 2, when he would post his first sack since the 2003 campaign.

Hammock Parties
03-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Excellent. We won't have to worry about their pass rush from that side for another year!

ChiefsfaninPA
03-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Thats going to be one scary defense next year now that they have wrapped him up.

beer bacon
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Thats going to be one scary defense next year now that they have wrapped him up.

I have it from good sources that he actually only plays 20% of the defensive snaps for them.

ChiefsfaninPA
03-07-2006, 02:19 PM
I have it from good sources that he actually only plays 20% of the defensive snaps for them.

If this is the same source whos cousins brothers uncles rabbit heard that TO is playing for us then this is credible.

beer bacon
03-07-2006, 02:21 PM
If this is the same source whos cousins brothers uncles rabbit heard that TO is playing for us then this is credible.

Actually, I think it was assholes over on the mane that were trying to rationalize why their claim of Brown playing better then Jared Allen last season was valid despite their stats not being in any way comparable :)

ChiefsfaninPA
03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Actually, I think it was assholes over on the mane that were trying to rationalize why their claim of Brown playing better then Jared Allen last season was valid despite their stats not being in any way comparable :)

If it came from that cesspool it is a FACT!!!

Hammock Parties
03-07-2006, 02:26 PM

That was only a couple of them assholes. Most of them are grounded in the reality that Jared Allen is the premier defensive end in the AFC West.

Lurch
03-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Wow. That seals the division for them next year. Why even play, now?

StcChief
03-07-2006, 04:36 PM
20% of the plays did he take a 80% cut?

listopencil
03-07-2006, 04:51 PM
It was a good move for us. Brown is worth keeping at the pryce we signed him.

Rain Man
03-07-2006, 07:27 PM
It was a good move for us. Brown is worth keeping at the pryce we signed him.

I suspect that you subliminally regret seeing Trevor go.

Mile High Mania
03-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I do regret seeing Pryce go... same with Anderson, but I'm numb to these things for the most part now.

Garcia Bronco
03-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Pryce sucks...or rather...he doesn't play to his potential....he was a ball and chain. I'll be interested to see how Brown does next year. Now that he's got a full year in him again he might become more confident in his body. He's got a better staff in Denver to help him take care of himself.

So long Pryce...good luck on your new album....

Garcia Bronco
03-07-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm am pissed about Anderson...but I want to see Dayne too as a full time starter...so WTH can we do at the thin edge of free agency.

listopencil
03-07-2006, 10:53 PM
I suspect that you subliminally regret seeing Trevor go.

No that was intentional. Unfortunately for the Broncos this year, the Pryce wasn't right. I would have liked to keep him but I didn't want to see them stuck with the one hundred leventy gajillion dollar salary.

HemiEd
03-08-2006, 05:45 AM
I do regret seeing Pryce go... same with Anderson, but I'm numb to these things for the most part now.

Yesterday, the talking heads on Sirius Radio speculated that they would both be back.