PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Places in America

Dunit35
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
http://theshadowlands.net/places/

Has anyone ever been to any of these places on here? I have been to the Hartner, KS and Medicine Lodge, KS "haunted" places. The one about Medicine Lodge I have heard hundreds of times and have been up there late at night. I didn't notice anything weird besides the tree they are talking about. The Hartner hospital is said to be haunted but I have been in there five or six times and found nothing. Some of these places make me want to go check them out.

Miles
03-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Only looked up the last two places I lived. Douchebag ghosts wounld't buy be a beer.

Baton Rouge - Highland Road near Lee Drive - Usually during late September or early October, but occasionally at other times, the ghosts of ragged and dirty Confederate soldiers can be seen walking along or crossing Highland Road beginning around Lee Drive (south of the LSU campus) and the sightings continue as far down as Gardere Lane. There are numerous reports of soldiers scurrying across the road late at night. However, in 1999 or 2000, there was an incident in early October in which several drivers called police when a filthy, bleeding young man wearing a Confederate uniform and carrying a rifle staggered across the busy intersection of Lee Drive and Highland Road around 5:00pm. Police serached the area and found no one.

Baton Rouge - Spanish Moon - This downtown area nightclub is inhabited by at least one known ghost. During the 1880's, the building served as a firehouse. It has seen many occupants since then. It was even used as a "wino flophouse" about thirty years ago. This era is where the spirit is believed to have originated from. Manifestations include apparitions of a young man; beer taps turning themselves on, strange noises, and flying glassware.

Denver - State Capitol Buildings - Many security guards see a woman in a long dress. She is seen there often, and in four or five n

earby buildings. People report sounds of voices, footsteps, and doors.... Cold spots too.

Waco - Baylor University - Some of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's original works are kept in the old Library on campus. She has been seen walking the halls at night holding a candle, wearing a white gown. Residents have seen her in the top floor window peering outside at us. Also, a statue of her sits out in front of the library. Her arms are at her sides, however, some nights the shadow that was cast on to the library behind her showed her arms held up high above her head.

Waco - Baylor University - Brooks Hall - - At Baylor University, the oldest college in the state of Texas, exists a mysterious phantom on the abandoned fifth floor of the oldest dorm on campus. Violin music is heard in the dead of night and chilling sightings of a cloaked figure in top hat and cloak staring down and illuminated by an eerie candlelight have been widely reported by spooked residents. Investigations have wielded little fact but the enormous amount of eyewitness accounts and spine tingling sightings have given the legend a grand following. One night the shattering of glass was reported as the phantom peered down and paused his playing and in a fit of apparent rage struck a window. Come morning when level heads prevailed and the storm of the previous night had passed, no damage was found. Still the unpredictable toiling of the phantom have attracted audiences in the witching hour in hopes of catching a glimpse of the mysterious floating candlelight that often hovers from room to room and then vanishes only to appear in the other wing of the building. One unsettling account recollects the viewing of a noose and dangling of a shadowy corpse after the phantom finished the evenings mournful serenade. Still more haunting is the episode on record of the lights failing the building and an ungodly tapping and cold sensation filtrating the respective doors of the fourth floor of the building. Only one resident dared investigate the unwelcome visitors calling. It is claimed that he peered into pitch darkness to find the horrific silhouette of a cloaked figure in a top hat turn and stare him down through the darkness and calmly vanish out of sight as he glided parallel down the corridor, needless to say it was not pursued. The university has failed to satisfy rumors of hauntings and has downplayed the events for close to half a century now. The Victorian styled villain who roams the corridors of the uninhabited floor and occasionally mingles with the living loves to make an entrance, the hoax is to elaborate for any collegiate prankster and the tradition has endured for too long. Perhaps the only explanation is that the phantom is ultimately unexplainable.

Waco - Cameron Park - Lindsy Hollow Road - Two alleged horse thieves use to hang out on Lindsey Hollow Road. The bodies of the two brothers were found hanging from a tree about 100 feet from the road, killed by vigilantes in 1880. Shadowy images of the hanging brothers can be seen in the old tree. Reports of reflections of unknown person, a spectral party, hearing screams, feeling paralyzed, & apparitions.

Waco - Cameron park - Witches Castle - this place called The witches castle is in Cameron park, if you go up to it there is a road and you turn right and go up all the way, you then start to smell something terrible, the smell is the bodies the witches killed, and you can hear screams, gasps, and banging.

Dunit35
03-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Kansas City - George Brett Bridge - On the night the Royals won the world series a drunk driver ran over a man and if you stand on the bridge after a game you can see him wearing his KC Royals hat.

This can't be true?

Dunit35
03-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Kansas City - Kansas City arena / Kemper Arena - There is said to be sightings, sounds, and lights flickering on and off in the arena late at night from a former WWF wrestler named Owen Hart who died 3 years ago by falling 50 feet to his death from the ceiling of the arena . There are also sightings of him still in his Owen Hart suit at the top of the arena looking down with the cable hooked up to him.

What about this?

SnakeXJones
03-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Kansas City - Kansas City arena / Kemper Arena - There is said to be sightings, sounds, and lights flickering on and off in the arena late at night from a former WWF wrestler named Owen Hart who died 3 years ago by falling 50 feet to his death from the ceiling of the arena . There are also sightings of him still in his Owen Hart suit at the top of the arena looking down with the cable hooked up to him.

What about this?

I dunno but i seen him fall it wasn't very pretty.

Halfcan
03-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I heard, the Edge of Hell downtown is Haunted- and for $25, they will let you walk around inside.

FAX
03-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Going to haunted places would be fun if they weren't so scary.

FAX

Dunit35
03-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Going to haunted places would be fun if they weren't so scary.

FAX

LOL..you can get through it if you bring extra undies. :)

Nzoner
03-08-2006, 11:36 PM
We went on a haunted tour last October in Atchison,Kansas.The only place noted on that site that we visited was...

Atchison - Jackson Park - It is said that on the stroke of midnight the terrifying screams of "Molly" can be heard. Molly was a beautiful young woman out with her date after prom. The next day Molly was found dead, hanging by her neck in one of the park trees down in the hallow of the park, her clothes torn. Some believe that her date got to excited and killed her when she refused to go all the way with him. No one will ever know, no one was ever charged with her murder.

Here's a link of the actual tour we went on. (http://www.legendsofamerica.com/OZ-HauntedAtchison.html)

Frazod
03-08-2006, 11:46 PM
I've been to F. E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I've been to the building they mention - it's boarded up now, or at least it was when I was there 10 years ago. It was a hospital in the late 1800s, when the base was Fort D. A. Russell. Eventually it was converted to the base security headquarters. The security personnel (according to a book I've read) reported many sightings, some of a physical nature. My friend (Air Force Captain) told me that at some point the base CO decided he'd heard enough of the haunting stories and spent the night on the top floor of the building, which was supposedly the most haunted. He made it through the night, but the next day began making arrangements to move the security forces to another building and have the old hospital torn down. Since the building is on the historic buildings registry, he was unable to have it torn down, but he did have it boarded up (which I've seen). I've walked around it but obviously didn't go in.

However, I did stay in a house down the street, which IS haunted, apparently by the ghost of a calvary officer who fell to his death out of a second floor window in the back of the house (this was the house my friend and his wife lived in while they were stationed there). The "Major" as they called him, had been banging the wife of another officer and tried to escape out that window when the husband came home.

Bullshit, you say. So did I.

Until my friend took his dog, who acted normally everywhere else in the house, and carried him into this attic room. The dog promply freaked the f#ck out, and started squirming and whimpering. Ran off like a shot as soon as my friend put him down.

I slept in a room separated from this room by a closed down and a short hallway that night. There was no way my friend could have gotten past me, so I know he wasn't f#cking with me. I heard footsteps (not old house noises - FOOTSTEPS), and a sound I would describe as a sword rattling in a scabbard. I will admit to having a vivid imagination, but the sounds I heard were real. I'm not ashamed to say that I was scared shitless, barely slept, and spent the rest of the nights I was there sleeping on the couch downstairs. Never did go back upstairs. The Major can have that room all to himself. :eek:

A couple of years ago, my friend sent me a framed ink drawing of that house which he got from a local artist. I have it hanging in my hallway downstairs. Came without the Major, thankfully. :D

greg63
03-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Kansas City - George Brett Bridge - On the night the Royals won the world series a drunk driver ran over a man and if you stand on the bridge after a game you can see him wearing his KC Royals hat.

This can't be true?

I hear that Kaufman (Sp?) Stadium is haunted by the "85" Royals.

ChiefsFan4Life
03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Rolla - the "women" will scare the shit out of you

Duck Dog
03-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Is there any surprise that most of the places mentioned as being "haunted" are cafe's, bars, grills, hotels that are open for business?

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Stull Cemetary
Stull, Kansas

http://www.odeo.com/audio/561549/view

MOhillbilly
03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
JESUS BUILT MY HOTROD.

NewChief
03-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I've plugged this site before, but for anyone that's into "haunted" places or just abandoned buildings in general, this site is way cool. It has a discussion board where people discuss various sites around Springfield, KC, St. Louis and Arkansas as well.

http://undergroundozarks.com/

The coolest thing about it is that several of the people are pretty into actual historicity, so they research all of those places that have wild rumors floating around about them (you know the ones) and find out the actual historical facts. The Albino Farm is an example for your Springfielders.

Dunit35
03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Stull Cemetary
Stull, Kansas

http://www.odeo.com/audio/561549/view

That cemetary sounds like it has to be crazy to be in.

Stull - Stull Cemetery and abandoned church- Update: The church has since been torn down - Stull is said to be one of the six gateways to hell. The devil had a child with a local witch. The witch was hung in a tree and the boy was killed. The tree that she was hung from fell over and opened a gateway to hell. Many stories say that a large group of people went out into the cemetery on Halloween and the next day they were found all slaughtered. Witnesses report a demon like creature watching them from the doorway of the abandoned church on the hill of the cemetery. Do not go in the cemetery. Many bad things could happen.

I'm listening to this site right now kotter. Do you believe this place is haunted?

Pitt Gorilla
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't know about haunted, but I did see the "spook light" near Neosho, MO. It was crazy.

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2006, 11:45 AM
That cemetary sounds like it has to be crazy to be in.

Stull - Stull Cemetery and abandoned church- Update: The church has since been torn down - Stull is said to be one of the six gateways to hell. The devil had a child with a local witch. The witch was hung in a tree and the boy was killed. The tree that she was hung from fell over and opened a gateway to hell. Many stories say that a large group of people went out into the cemetery on Halloween and the next day they were found all slaughtered. Witnesses report a demon like creature watching them from the doorway of the abandoned church on the hill of the cemetery. Do not go in the cemetery. Many bad things could happen.

I'm listening to this site right now kotter. Do you believe this place is haunted?

Do a search....I've told the stories of my visit there a number of times.

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can dig it up....heh....no pun intended! :p

EDIT: Here are a couple of my posts from one thread:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130846&highlight=Stull

I've posted the full story before....but as a college sophomore in 1983, me and a bunch of drunk college buddies crashed the annual Halloween devil worshipping ceremony in Stull, KS. We made it to within 150 yds or so of the freak's chanting to weird music in the cemetery....before being spotted, and getting run off into a high speed car chase all the way back to Lawrence....

I had been skeptical of the whole thing, and we decided to see if they were for real; and they were. I certainly didn't expect a 100 mph "chase" back to Lawrence, during which they tried to run us off the road with their Cherokee. Thank God for muscle cars, otherwise they'd have probably succeeded...

It was spooky as hell. It was a good thing all but the driver had been drinking....he refuses to discuss the whole thing, to this day.

To this day, I get chills and goosebumps thinkin' about it....it was the freakiest thing I've ever experienced--especially, now, considering all the stuff you can read on the internet about Stull, KS.

I suspect much of it is urban legend, another chunk of it is embellished drunken college kid stories, and a bit of it probably based in fact. It was really spooky though, and I'm not at all the superstitious type.

FTR, paganism and the occult does engage in some weird practices and ceremonies, so as far as what I saw....it was nothing really unusual. It's all the stories surrounding those activities that are really eerie, but I don't think much of it is probably "real."

I think there were some others, but that's the gist of it....

cadmonkey
03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
I have actually heard and been to these places in Lynn, Ma.

Lynn - Dungeon Rock - Lynn Woods - Strange noises and visions are said to happen here deep in lynn woods. Dungeon rock is a large, hollowed out boulder where pirates used to hide, their spirits are said to haunt the area.

Lynn - English High School - the auditorium is haunted by the old drama teacher. it has been said that eerie breezes sweep through when there is no door or window open and she is there for every rehearsal and show.

Lynn - Lynn Woods - Vast woods that surrounds the city of Lynn. Legend has it that if you walk through these woods you will hear voices and hear the breaking of sticks right next to you. The woods are completely dark, so you might want to take a flashlight and a friend. There is a tree that looks like a man was sucked into it. The tree appears to have an arm and a face can be visibly seen on the side. Also there is Dungeon rock, this where cults went to sacrifice people wandering alone in the woods. Its said if you go there alone at night the ghosts of these cults can be seen. That is why they lock the door of dungeon rock.

Lynn - Pine Grove Cemetery - People Whispering Water fountains going on and off little girls skipping white orbs faces in tombstones people inside the tombs spiders crawling all over the tombstones weird looking trees with faces from the olden days this is freaky

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Here's another website on it, with links....

http://www.washburn.edu/cas/art/cyoho/archive/KStravel/stull/

cadmonkey
03-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I now live in Salem, the "most haunted city in the country" and "Halloween Capital". I can definatly say that I have seen/witnessed the Patriot Cinemas activity. Its now closed due to the drop of customers to freaked out to go there any more.

Salem - Gallows Hill - Many report unknown phenomena happenings. Said to be the so called witches that were hanged there in the olden days.

Salem - The Hawthorne Hotel - The elevator is believed to be haunted. The 6th floor is haunted as well. There was a double murder over a lover’s quarrel. Could spots have been felt as well as chandeliers swaying with no sound.

Salem - Joshua Ward House - This house is associated with the Salem Witch Trials. Sheriff Corwin is said to haunt this place.

Salem - Patriot Cinemas - Sometimes you can smell cigarette smoke over near the projector, but you can't smell it anywhere else. There is a room at the end of the hall which is very cold. You can see shadows moving fast out of the corner of your eye. One time there was a person reflected in the window, standing next to the projector, but no one was there. Someone had keys on a clip hanging from their pocket at hip level, and these keys somehow came unclipped, flipped around, and clipped on a wire, while this person was standing there. A little while later, they realized they were missing and after searching everywhere, found them hanging on this knee level wire. (There are at least 15 keys on this key ring, so you would have heard them if they fell off.) Another time the light upstairs was shut off, and the only way to get up there is if you have a key, someone with a key turned it back on, and then 5 minutes later when they went upstairs, the light was off again. The lights upstairs are always kept on.

Salem - Saint Mary's Cemetery - Very strange noises, like the sound of a dog jogging on cement, a strange light what seemed to be a white glow stick go by very fast, but the oddest of them all was the Unexplainable feeling of evil, the feeling of being watched, and being rushed and overwhelmed with a negative energy.

Salem - Salem Hospital - ghost of a woman that died in childbirth there is seen in the halls.

Salem - Salem Jail - Haunted by the spirits of civil war prisoners who were held there.

Salem - Salem State College - Bowditch Hall Room 222 - Known for the ghosts of all three roommates that were found murdered there in the 70's. Reports of beds shaking in the middle of the night and loud banging on the walls that can only be heard in that room.

Salem - Salem State College - Mainstage Auditorium - The ghost of a little Boy named Tommy is said by theater professors and students to haunt the auditorium. Tommy is supposedly the ghost of a child that got into the area above the auditorium one night during the '60's. He fell through a spot in the ceiling and was found dead in the seats of the auditorium by a professor the next day. Tommy still haunts the area above the auditorium, which has long been sealed up and used for storage. He is mischievous for the most part, making noises, moving things, and causing unexplainable problems in the theater. Technicians working on tall ladders swear they can feel Tommy putting a pressure on their backs. They claim that it is Tommy trying to prevent any one else from falling. December 2003 correction:The actual story is this: It was in the '70's when it happened, and the boy that fell wasn't a child, he was a teenager.The boy that died was named Tommy. Tommy and few other kids had been drinking and they snuck into the auditorium. They were fooling around, jumping on seats, rolling around on the stage, etc. When the kids where getting ready to leave, but they couldn't find Tommy. They figured that he had left and so they left. The next morning my dad got a call saying that his friend Tommy had fallen through the ceiling of the auditorium. He had fallen head first onto the floor and died on impact.

Salem - Salem YMCA - The old pool. The old pool was built above the original pool. Many lifeguards at the old pool have seen movements and heard noises by the stairwell leading to the old pool. It is rumored to be from a swimmer that died there.

Salem - The Ward House - is haunted by the ghosts of the evil Sheriff George Corwin and witchcraft victim Giles Cory. Corwin is buried in the cellar.

StcChief
03-09-2006, 12:12 PM
And you live in Salem Ma. why?

Hammock Parties
03-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Creepy.

I'd love to go ghoul hunting sometime. I get scared pretty easily. :)

BagoobaChief
03-09-2006, 12:25 PM
It's been almost 15 years to the day since this has happened but it's a true story. We had puchased a new house in an older neighborhood about a year before all of this happened...

On most evenings at around 6:00pm or so, I would hear a blood curdling scream. My dog runs and hides under the bed whimpering, why he does this I don't know because you can hear the scream in every corner of our house. I must admit that I too feel like hiding as well, but as I slowly turn and look towards the stairs leading up towards the kitchen, I typically hear the scream again..."Where's my dinner!! You expect me to eat that for dinner, you dumb S.O.B.!!" Then I see the ghastly image of a woman, all bloated and frightening looking, appear at the top of the stairs, still screaming about dinner. I vaguely recognize this woman as my loving wife who had disappeared nearly 5-6 months proir. I stutter and stammer "Honey, is that you?" Only to get a response of "Who were you expecting, the Queen? Now get me some food!" I stand there hoping that she will disappear, that something will distract her or maybe the dog will come to my rescue. But none of this happens. This continues for 3-4 weeks before this apparition finely stops appearing.

Only after my first child was born on April 13th, 1991 did this hungry demon disappear. But it did appear 3 more times only to disappear after my other 3 children were born. Truly one of the most frightening Hauntings that I have ever seen.

;)

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Lehunt cemetary- between Elk City and Independence ,KS, Now that place is creepy. It's at the end of a long winding dirt road through a jungle of trees.Lots of stories from that place. Murders, The Goatman, Ghosts, We used to party there on a regular basis back in the day.