PDA

View Full Version : If we could play one game over... [Warning NSFCF]

Rain Man
03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Don't look at this poll if you're a sensitive Chiefs fan. It's brutal.

Keeping in mind the time, the opponent, your own feelings, and the eventual playoff and Super Bowl winner that year, which game would you most like to play over? There's no guarantee of a win, or of other wins later, but rather it's one more chance to play the game.

Poll coming.

CHENZ A!
03-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Colts playoff loss, the first one... We had a championship team that year I believe, similar to the Steelers this yr. Dominant D and dominant running game. plus we had played dallas(the eventual SB winner) tough at their house on thanksgiving.

Chiefnj
03-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't need to wait for a poll. I'll take Joe Montana in Buffalo for the AFC Championship.

KC Jones
03-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Colts playoff loss, the first one... We had a championship team that year I believe, similar to the Steelers this yr. Dominant D and dominant running game. plus we had played dallas(the eventual SB winner) tough at their house on thanksgiving.

With Steve Bono? No, either the 93 or 97 teams had better chances in my opinion.

CHENZ A!
03-09-2006, 10:14 PM
With Steve Bono? No, either the 93 or 97 teams had better chances in my opinion.

while Bono WAS horrible, he was just ok enough to win with THAT team.

On a side note, I have to put in a 2nd place vote for the Miami Christmas day game for my old man. I wasn't born yet, but if he knew how to work a computer he'd be on here voting for that one(he was there).

Rain Man
03-09-2006, 10:19 PM
I have to go with the '93 game. If we had another chance, Montana could've worked his magic, and then we'd be only one game from the Lombardi.

We had good teams in '95 and '97, but they still would've had a couple more games even if they won the rematch.

'71 is intriguing, because there weren't a lot of powerhouse teams that year. If the Chiefs had made it past the Dolphins, they could've gone all the way, and then they would've been the second team after Lombardi's Packers to get two SB wins. A few more Chiefs would be in the Hall of Fame as a result.

KcMizzou
03-09-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't need to wait for a poll. I'll take Joe Montana in Buffalo for the AFC Championship.Yep.

CHENZ A!
"A few more Chiefs would be in the Hall of Fame as a result."

OT baby!

Frazod
'97 playoffs. AFTER I put a bullet through Girlbac's head. :#

Reaper16
03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
97 rubs me raw more to this day

Dunit35
03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
same as frazod.

cdcox
03-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I think the '71 and '97 teams were closest to the top of the NFL. I think had they won those playoff games they'd have as good as chance as anyone of winning it all. I eneded up voting for the '97 game becaues of the added bonus of seeing Denver not get theirs.

Rain Man
03-09-2006, 10:30 PM
A year that's not being mentioned yet is 1990. Marty and a then-popular Carl had a two-headed monster in Word and Okoye. Stephone Paige had over 1,000 yards. Steve DeBerg was running the play-action, even with a bad pinkie. Alt and a couple of new kids named Szott and Grunhard were running the left side of the line. Nick Lowery was kicking the daylights out of the ball. On defense, Cherry, Lewis, Ross, and Burruss were at their peaks, and all-pro Bill Maas was joined at the line by a young star named Neil Smith.

And on top of it all, some kid from Alabama rang up 20 sacks.

That team may not have been a bunch of superstars, but they brought game. And the Super Bowl that year was won by a Giants team that was strong, but not dominant.

Nightwish
03-09-2006, 10:39 PM
2005, the Dallas game. Keep the game as it was, except without DJ's rookie penalty on 4th down at the Dallas 1. We win that one, and we had the tie-breaker over Pittsburgh. Of the ones listed, though, the '95 playoff game against the Colts. Two words that will forever live in infamy: Lin Elliot.

BIG K
03-09-2006, 10:56 PM

Keeping in mind the time, the opponent, your own feelings, and the eventual playoff and Super Bowl winner that year, which game would you most like to play over? There's no guarantee of a win, or of other wins later, but rather it's one more chance to play the game.

Poll coming.

All listed were painful losses. The 97' playoff game against the broncs was proly the worst for me...I thought the Chiefs could dominate ANY team in the NFL that year. To see the game slip away to ghost penalty calls, TG being shoved out of bounds when he caught a pass in the endzone, and blatant cheating by the ref's to allow super jOHN to get his ring just killed me. 5-yard penalty for delay of game to wipe off the vaseline on the o-line???? That's no different than corked bats. The donk o-line should have been ejected...Call it sourgrapes on my part, but that loss still hurts.

Munson
03-10-2006, 12:39 AM
I'd have to go with the '95 playoff game against the Colts. I was at that game sitting in the nosebleed section. I still can't believe that Lin Elliot missed those three field goals. I swear, if I ever meet him, I'm going to roundhouse kick him in the nuts three times. One kick for every field goal missed that day.

My second choice would be the '03 playoff game against the Colts. I'm still pissed by the phantom pass interference call on Tony Gonzalez right before halftime, which would have resulted in a touchdown. And who could forget Priest fumbling during that long ass run. If only he could have been a little bit faster. Damn I hate the Colts. :banghead:

redngold85
03-10-2006, 12:48 AM
now I may get laughed @ and called a n00b for this...but I voted for the first playoff loss to the Colts via the three missed field goals by he-who-must-not-be-named because I was 10 years old that season...and everytime that douchebag missed a field goal, I died inside...and when he missed the last one....I cried the rest of the night

ok...bring on the ridicule

03-10-2006, 12:59 AM
I don't need to wait for a poll. I'll take Joe Montana in Buffalo for the AFC Championship.

YEP :banghead: Would love to have another shot at that one.

Demonpenz
03-10-2006, 01:02 AM
i like the one where our kicker kicked it out of bounds a couple times

greg63
03-10-2006, 01:13 AM
1995 playoff game against the Colts; stupid Linn Elliot!:banghead:

redngold85
03-10-2006, 01:18 AM

PLEASE!!!!!!! STOP!!!!!
his name hurts my ears...

Nzoner
03-10-2006, 01:33 AM
I've got to go with '97 here if for nothing else the opportunity to stop the donks from getting a ring.

greg63
03-10-2006, 01:37 AM
PLEASE!!!!!!! STOP!!!!!
his name hurts my ears...…Ooops; sorry.

I shall never again utter the name Linn Elliot, for I know that the name Linn Elliot is to most of us loyal chief’s fans an offence to hear. So; one only has to tell me once not to ever again mention the name Linn Elliot for me to know that the name Linn Elliot is not ever again be made mention of. I am one who doesn't have to be told twice not to mention the name Linn Elliot because I want to be sensitive to my Chiefs brothers and sisters wishes to never again make mention the name Linn Elliot. :D

03-10-2006, 01:37 AM

Ugh, he said the L word. :cuss:

greg63
03-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Ugh, he said the L word. :cuss:

ROFL

See post 23

03-10-2006, 01:45 AM
ROFL

See post 23
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

greg63
03-10-2006, 01:58 AM
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

ROFLWell!:harumph:

kcfanXIII
03-10-2006, 02:25 AM
i say the denver one in 1997. i've never told you guys this, but it was my fault we lost. instead of watching game with my brother, which i have almost every week since he came back from the military, and every game that season, i watched it with my girlfriend. i know some of you will say the fact :Elvis: started instead of gannon had more to do with it, but i've never forgiven myself. :doh!: :banghead: :doh!:

mikey23545
03-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Easily 1971...

The Chiefs were still loaded with Super Bowl stars making their final push for glory, with a mix of some good young players. The Dolphins just played over their heads, and ended up getting their asses handed to them in the Super Bowl.
It quite possibly would been a second championship in 3 years for the red and gold...

Oh, and it also started some kind of weird quasi-curse over the Chiefs which persists to this day....

Aries Walker
03-10-2006, 05:23 AM
now I may get laughed @ and called a n00b for this...but I voted for the first playoff loss to the Colts via the three missed field goals by he-who-must-not-be-named because I was 10 years old that season...and everytime that douchebag missed a field goal, I died inside...and when he missed the last one....I cried the rest of the night

I stand stalwart beside my brother in pain. That was a painful, painful day. Our team was so good - except for one glaring deficiency.

I would have us replay that game, and bring back Nick Lowery for it.

Rausch
03-10-2006, 05:33 AM
I stand stalwart beside my brother in pain. That was a painful, painful day. Our team was so good - except for one glaring deficiency.

Bono was not a SB winning QB.

Montana was. Had Smith not knocked him out of that AFC championchip game victory would have been ours.

You argue yer 2nd round game, I'll take the do-over on teh AFC Championchip...

StcChief
03-10-2006, 06:09 AM
1997 -Best team of 90s Chiefs.
1993 -close 2nd had our SB tickets hotel already

Skip Towne
03-10-2006, 06:27 AM
…Ooops; sorry.

I shall never again utter the name Linn Elliot, for I know that the name Linn Elliot is to most of us loyal chief’s fans an offence to hear. So; one only has to tell me once not to ever again mention the name Linn Elliot for me to know that the name Linn Elliot is not ever again be made mention of. I am one who doesn't have to be told twice not to mention the name Linn Elliot because I want to be sensitive to my Chiefs brothers and sisters wishes to never again make mention the name Linn Elliot. :D
:Lin: I thought it was Lin.

teedubya
03-10-2006, 07:02 AM
thanks for saddening me first thing in the morning, Rain Monkey.

greg63
03-10-2006, 07:23 AM

You mean Linn Elliot?

Oops; sorry I forgot that I'm not supposed to mention the name Linn Elliot.

Oh no; there I go again mentioning the name Linn Elliot....I can't help it I just keep mentioning the name Linn Elliot. :banghead:

greg63
03-10-2006, 07:23 AM
:Lin: I thought it was Lin.

ROFLROFLROFL

It probably is.

Extra Point
03-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Tie between the 71 Grinch Game and the 97 Pam Game. We had the better team in both games. If I could travel in time and be invisible, I would have spiked the Dolphin's coolers with Benadryl and lit a match when they were spraying the first Broncos jersey.

Chiefnj
03-10-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm surprised so many people want to replay games with Bono and/or Grbac leading the team and needing not one but two wins to make it to the promised land. Insanity.

greg63
03-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Tie between the 71 Grinch Game and the 97 Pam Game. We had the better team in both games. If I could travel in time and be invisible, I would have spiked the Dolphin's coolers with Benadryl and lit a match when they were spraying the first Broncos jersey.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

I'm with ya; when do we leave???

ct
03-10-2006, 08:57 AM
'95, that was the best KC defense I've ever seen.

jidar
03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm surprised so many people want to replay games with Bono and/or Grbac leading the team and needing not one but two wins to make it to the promised land. Insanity.

I voted that one. My reasoning is that if we beat the Broncos there we're the best team left and we go on to win. On top of that we also take away a Broncos Superbowl.

bkkcoh
03-10-2006, 09:26 AM

Poll coming.

I certainly hope you had trouble sleeping after drudging up these horrible and disturbing memories... :cuss: :banghead:

Predarat
03-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Can you take 1997 and start Gannon over FukUpBac?

Thig Lyfe
03-10-2006, 09:43 AM
'03 or '95, both against the colts.

Painful. Painful. I shouldn't have clicked on this thread...

Rain Man
03-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Easily 1971...

The Chiefs were still loaded with Super Bowl stars making their final push for glory, with a mix of some good young players. The Dolphins just played over their heads, and ended up getting their asses handed to them in the Super Bowl.
It quite possibly would been a second championship in 3 years for the red and gold...

Oh, and it also started some kind of weird quasi-curse over the Chiefs which persists to this day....

This is indeed tempting. To have two Chiefs champions in three years would have put that team up in the top tier of Super Bowl champions with the other multiple winners: the early Cowboys, the early Dolphins, the 90s Cowboys, etc.

Rain Man
03-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Were we favored in the '71 Christmas game? I've never thought about that.

Lurch
03-10-2006, 10:09 AM
1997 Playoff loss to the Donks. Hands down winner in my mind.....

Aries Walker
03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Bono was not a SB winning QB.

Montana was. Had Smith not knocked him out of that AFC championchip game victory would have been ours.

You argue yer 2nd round game, I'll take the do-over on teh AFC Championchip...
The problem I had with that game was not so much that it was a loss, but how painful a loss it was. I just remember watching our infernal, screwball kicker miss over and over and over, deep-sixing the game and the most promising season in a looooooong time, to what was a pretty mediocre team, at home. Even if we didn't make it to the show, I would have liked to make it through that game.

steelyeyed57
03-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I was at both the '95 and '97 losses. The '95 game just had that feeling like the weather and the Colts run of luck was against us.
The '97 game I would have bet my life we were going to win, Arrowhead was electric -- our team was playing well. Even up until Grbac's wonderful last minute heave out of bounds intended for Lake Dawson.... damnit, we should have won that game.

DJJasonp
03-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Gotta be the 90 loss to Miami.....I still have pains everytime I think about Lowery's kick coming up 3 inches short of the goalpost.

That was the hardest loss I've ever had as a Chiefs fan.

What made it so brutal is:

1) We were one of, if not the hottest, teams in the league going into the playoffs.

2) Two young superstars (Neil Smith and DT) were introducing themselves to the rest of America

3) The Nigerian Nightmare was running rampant

4) The TD pass marino threw that Albert Lewis (or was it Kevin Ross?) came within a fingernail of intercepting.....but became an important score for Miami instead

5) The absolute biggest BS holding call of all time against our o-line on Okoye's 15 yard run during the two minute drill which would have set up an easy chip shot for Lowery....but due to the BS holding call....it ended up being a 48-50ish yd FG attempt...

6) that damn field goal....I'll never forget that (ABC I think) replayed the kick at least 700 times.....

Damn...I'm sick to my stomach again.

Hammock Parties
03-10-2006, 11:36 AM

We would have been crushed in the Super Bowl in 1993 and probably 1995, too.

vailpass
03-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Cool. An intraweb Wailing Wall.
Self flagellation cleanses the soul. I'd say 1,997 lashes ought to do the job.
Carry on.

Rain Man
03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Cool. An intraweb Wailing Wall.
Self flagellation cleanses the soul. I'd say 1,997 lashes ought to do the job.
Carry on.

Watch yourself, or I'll put a poll up for the Broncos. We can have up to 50 poll options, so that should just about cover it.

wkchief
03-10-2006, 02:20 PM
97 this keeps denver out of the super bowl and their 1st of 2 super bowls

redngold85
03-10-2006, 05:51 PM

thank you, sir...

milkman
03-11-2006, 11:23 AM
This was easy.

'71.

That was a great team with a great coach.

We had no chance of ever winning a SB with Marty.

Lin Elliot's misses were just a by product of Marty playoff ultra-conservatism.

You guys can blame Elliot.

I will always blame Marty.