PDA

View Full Version : Football Javon Walker want out of G.B.

Prince22
03-10-2006, 12:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361969 (http://)

I wonder what it would cost to bring him in.

keg in kc
03-10-2006, 12:24 AM
After missing almost all of last season? Who knows.

Dunit35
03-10-2006, 12:24 AM
A torn up knee= no thanks.

Ebolapox
03-10-2006, 12:37 AM
eh, I'd hang a flier on him and go for it--he's a stud if/when healthy, and it IS possible to recover from a torn up knee... just as long as it's not a shoulder ;)

-EB-

Mile High Mania
03-10-2006, 07:52 AM
This is getting kinda silly...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361969

StcChief
03-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Worth a look.

Mile High Mania
03-10-2006, 07:57 AM
My bad - didn't catch the other thread.

jspchief
03-10-2006, 07:57 AM
I don't think Walker is off base in this scenario.

1. He was deserving of the new contract he wanted last year.
2. It was bush for Favre to call him out in public.
3. I don't doubt that the state of Wisconsin sided with Favre, and was hard on him.

If the Chiefs want to chase a WR, this is the guy we should be looking at. I'd take him over two Terrell Owens'.

MOhillbilly
03-10-2006, 08:25 AM
blown knees dont carry the same tag as 10 or even 5 years ago,its a whole new world in sprots meds. Id like to see kc pick him up.

greg63
03-10-2006, 08:28 AM

3. I don't doubt that the state of Wisconsin sided with Favre, and was hard on him.

If the Chiefs want to chase a WR, this is the guy we should be looking at. I'd take him over two Terrell Owens'.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Agreed!

Dunit35
03-10-2006, 08:34 AM

He does deserve a new contract. But he has incury concerns right now. He could turn out 100% healthy, who knows.

jspchief
03-10-2006, 08:39 AM
He does deserve a new contract. But he has incury concerns right now. He could turn out 100% healthy, who knows.I was referencing last off-season when he wanted a new contract before he got injured. Ultimately, he showed up to camp and decided to play without the new contract. Then he got injured, and has lost some of his leverage.

It really puts into perspective why these guys want new contracts as soon as they start playing well.

ct
03-10-2006, 08:43 AM

I'm all for it, we'd get a bargain with the injury thing too. Didn't he fire Rosenhaus(sp?) last year?

Dunit35
03-10-2006, 08:46 AM
I was referencing last off-season when he wanted a new contract before he got injured. Ultimately, he showed up to camp and decided to play without the new contract. Then he got injured, and has lost some of his leverage.

It really puts into perspective why these guys want new contracts as soon as they start playing well.

With him getting injured last year would you still be willing to give him T.O. type of money? I guess T.O. type money could go either way with a cheap one year contract with incentives or the type of T.O. contract that was 7 year 49 mill?

I'm sure some team is willing to give Walker a huge contract.

jspchief
03-10-2006, 08:51 AM
With him getting injured last year would you still be willing to give him T.O. type of money? I guess T.O. type money could go either way with a cheap one year contract with incentives or the type of T.O. contract that was 7 year 49 mill?

I'm sure some team is willing to give Walker a huge contract.Without having any idea what the diagnosis is on his knee, it's hard to answer that.

IMO, he's worth less than he was last year, when he would have commanded a contract in line with the highest paid WRs in the league. A team should be able to use the leverage of his injury to drive his price down this year, whether it's deserved or not. I would still expect him to be very expensive and I doubt he'll sttle for anything other than a long term deal.

ct
03-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Without having any idea what the diagnosis is on his knee, it's hard to answer that.

IMO, he's worth less than he was last year, when he would have commanded a contract in line with the highest paid WRs in the league. A team should be able to use the leverage of his injury to drive his price down this year, whether it's deserved or not. I would still expect him to be very expensive and I doubt he'll sttle for anything other than a long term deal.

Agree, but with the uncertainty, the contract can be structured up front with checkpoints to CYA.

Dunit35
03-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Without having any idea what the diagnosis is on his knee, it's hard to answer that.

The Packers are stupid for all of this. He is worth more than Brett is. Even after the injury I would rather take Walker than Brett.

jidar
03-10-2006, 09:25 AM
There is a guy that got screwed.

1: He deserved the money, he was way underpaid.
2: Brett should have stayed the f out of it.
3: He got injured and now look.
4: He still hasn't gone in the media and badmouthed favre like he might have.

Valiant
03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Couldn't Javon retire if it came to it.. And then when his contract is up(in two years) unretire and become a FA.. Some other athlete I think attempted this and the team caved. Because I think they do not get any compensation for this.. Javon would just have to pay back his signing bonus portion..

I would love to give Javon a bonus clause contract, if he is a stud he would get paid like one...

whoaskew
03-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Young, athletic, talented, reliable, proven, and a chip on his shoulder

What's not to like? (other than the injury)

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Calcountry
03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361969 (http://)

I wonder what it would cost to bring him in.Forget about him, what about #4? Does he want out of Green Bay yet? Yeah, w3ll what about #4 wanting out of the NFL?

That is what I think about when you mention Green Bay.

blueballs
06-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Walker's message to Broncos: It's personal
By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: June 6, 2008

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Javon Walker admits he has a strong distaste for the Denver Broncos. He refers to them as "that team."

Walker wants to make it clear he still loves the city of Denver. He has decided to make it his home after playing there for two seasons. Yet a residence in the Rocky Mountains is the only positive experience the former first-round pick of the Green Bay Packers said he got out of his Denver days.

That's why Walker is so looking forward to the 2008 season opener. It's more than proving he can still be a dominant No. 1 receiver, and it's more than proving Oakland wasn't out of its financial mind by giving him a six-year, $55 million deal (with a staggering $16 million in guarantees) despite his history of knee trouble.

Walker is looking forward to the opener because he gets to face "that team."

On Sept. 8, on ESPN's "Monday Night Football," Denver will visit Oakland in what is one of the game's most heated rivalries. Walker is all aboard the spite train. The day after the game was announced at the NFL owners' meetings, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said he texted his new No. 1 receiver about the news. He said Walker sent back a spirited text that displayed just how ready he is for that game.

Two months later, the fire is still burning in Walker, who practiced just once a day during the team's just-completed minicamp and is still shaking off the effects of his second knee surgery in two years. Kiffin has twice said this offseason that Walker needs to lose some weight. Still, Walker said he'll be 100 percent ready to face Denver.

Javon Walker is chomping at the bit to face his former team in the 2008 season opener.

"That team is going to see me in the opener," Walker said. "They are going to see me, I'll tell you that. They'll see what they are missing."

It seems Al Davis has a new fellow Bronco hater in Oakland. That alone might be worth the $55 million Davis is paying Walker.

When Walker arrived in Denver, it was supposed to be a perfect match.

The Broncos, coming off a trip to the AFC title game, needed a playmaker at receiver and Walker wanted out of Green Bay after the 2005 season in which he suffered a torn ACL in the first game the season. Walker's first season in Denver was successful as he had 69 catches and eight touchdowns and seemed on his way to a solid marriage in Denver.

Then, things started to fall apart. Walker was sitting next to Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams in a limousine when Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting. Walker was filmed hours after the shooting wearing a shirt with Williams' blood on it.

Walker still downplays the aftereffects of the tragedy as being part of his unhappiness as a Bronco. On the last day of the year, the day after Denver finished the season 7-9, Walker exploded, saying he wasn't a good fit for the Broncos in a rambling diatribe. Broncos insiders said the team's brass was already tiring of Walker and that episode sealed his fate. Denver unceremoniously dumped Walker in February.

Walker's attributes his demise in Denver to the Broncos and the way they handled his knee injury. While in Dallas for some training camp work against the Cowboys last summer, Walker experienced swelling in his surgically repaired knee. He said he dealt with the issue and kept practicing daily.

In the first two games of the season, two Denver wins, Walker looked like the same player he was the season prior, grabbing 17 balls and being a key offensive component. However, in the third game, a home loss to Jacksonville, Walker had just two catches.

He said that was the beginning of the end of his time in Denver.

"I was open and they didn't get me the ball," Walker said. "Here I was busting my butt, draining my knee, to be able to go out and make plays and they didn't get me the ball. After that, I started to take care of my knee."

Shortly after the Jaguars game, Walker had arthroscopic surgery and missed the next seven games. When he returned the Broncos were 5-5, but he made little impact on the team that went 2-4 down the stretch. Walker had just seven catches in the final six games.

That made him even angrier at what was soon going to be his former club.

"I was ready in those final games and they just didn't want me to be a part of the offense," Walker said. "It just didn't work for me there with that team. They wanted me to take a pay cut in the middle of the season. They just didn't care about me. I'm glad I'm out of there."

Privately, the Broncos are happy Walker is gone, too. Team insiders said Walker, who wore out his welcome in Green Bay as well as Denver, was selfish and was more interested in his personal numbers than the team's success.

Walker insists he is a team player and is looking forward to an Oakland renaissance, both personally and for the franchise.

"'This team gets me," Walker said. "They know what I can do for them. The coaches want me to get the ball here. I just can't wait to show what I can do in the first game against that team."

Bill Williamson covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

rambleonthruthefog
06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
A torn up knee= no thanks.

yeah, who would want a guy like jevon walker?
our receiving crew is top notch

Mr. Flopnuts
06-06-2008, 08:13 PM

At the price Oakland paid? Seriously?

vailpass
06-06-2008, 08:21 PM
:deevee: He got beat out for #1 WR by a younger player and couldn't hack it. He cried about it instead of trying to take care of it on the field.
JW was a great talent who blew a knee and will never be the same. Happens all the time in the Not For Long.

He's looking forward to playing the Broncos? Good. Shows he still has balls, or at least vocal chords.

Buehler445
06-06-2008, 09:38 PM

Dude...two years ago

03-09-2006, 11:24 PM

ohiobronco2
06-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I want to see the Champ-Walker matchup. Should be exciting.

CupidStunt
06-07-2008, 02:21 AM
With Denver's dogshit pass rush, Walker should be good for 7-150-2, provided ol' pieman can get him the ball deep.

Rausch
06-07-2008, 02:26 AM
I want to see the Champ-Walker matchup. Should be exciting.

:D

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00376/charley1_280_376645a.jpg

Kerberos
06-07-2008, 03:50 AM
With Denver's dogshit pass rush, Walker should be good for 7-150-2, provided ol' pieman can get him the ball deep.

Gotta love the Jamarcus FAT jokes. REP ROFL

ohiobronco2
06-07-2008, 02:37 PM

ROFL