PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton on the Broncos...R U Kidding me???

DJJasonp
03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
From Clayton's ESPN story "5 teams to watch" during the offseason/free-agency period...

Please tell me how in the world this is always possible....why don't they just list Jesus Christ as a potential safety on this list as well? Salary cap be damned!!!!

4. Denver Broncos
They've been the most active team of the offseason, re-signing offensive linemen Tom Nalen and Matt Lepsis, defensive ends Courtney Brown and John Engelberger and safeties Sam Brandon and John Lynch They still have almost $11 million of room and want to keep defensive tackle Gerard Warren. If head coach/executive VP Mike Shanahan can work some magic, he might be able to get wide receiver Terrell Owens, running back Jamal Lewis and defensive end John Abraham. Abraham might cost them a first-round draft pick, but he would be worth it. Those additional options might not have been possible if the cap hadn't grown because of the CBA extension.

Rain Man
03-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Apparently, Plummer, Rod Smith, and Champ Bailey all agreed to cut their salary down to minimum wage, because they got lucrative offseason jobs turning on the automatic sprinklers at Pat Bowlen's house.

Amnorix
03-10-2006, 02:22 PM
One webiste is reporting that the Broncos are close to trading a 1st round pick to the Jets for Abraham, and will then sign him to a deal worth $27M over the first three years. :shrug:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

alanm
03-10-2006, 02:23 PM
We need to target their capologist. I salute him since he's not in jail... yet! :)

Mr. Laz
03-10-2006, 02:25 PM
We need to target their capoligist. I salute him since he's not in jail... yet! :)

it's the owner not the cap guy

ChiefsfaninPA
03-10-2006, 02:26 PM
I hope that all of these rags start naming the Donkeys the favorite for the Superbowl that way when they lose in the wildcard game(if the cheat enough to make it there) I will have a bigger chuckle.

tk13
03-10-2006, 02:27 PM
They didn't really do anything last year. Well they made moves, but they weren't high cost moves. They just added a bunch of Browns D-linemen, and they traded their leading rusher for that. Then they signed guys like Ian Gold and Jerry Rice... and they let some DB's walk and drafted 30 DB's in the draft. The last time they really made a big splash was two years ago with Champ, and even that was a trade.

Mile High Mania
03-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Profootball talk isn't the best source for information... they're not bad, but they have a lot of wild ass guesses from time to time.

Everyone (even the 19 year old jets fan) is saying it's Denver or Atlanta that will trade for Abraham.

BigRock
03-10-2006, 02:38 PM
They didn't really do anything last year. Well they made moves, but they weren't high cost moves.
But but but... they won the division! And it's a well known fact that if you don't spend big money in FA every year, YOU DIE!!!!!!

At least according to some people, it seems.

Gonzo
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
It must be nice to have a GM that goes after quality players in the off season. Maybe we can re-sign Bell, Holliday, Mccleon and Barber this off season.

htismaqe
03-10-2006, 02:42 PM
It must be nice to have a GM that goes after quality players in the off season. Maybe we can re-sign Bell, Holliday, Mccleon and Barber this off season.

Yeah, quality guys like Ron Dayne, Courtney Brown, and Ebenezer Ekuban...

Amnorix
03-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Profootball talk isn't the best source for information... they're not bad, but they have a lot of wild ass guesses from time to time.

Everyone (even the 19 year old jets fan) is saying it's Denver or Atlanta that will trade for Abraham.

PFT is sort of random. Seem to want to go for home runs all the time, and thereofre strike out a fair bit. But they do hit their fair share of home runs...

alanm
03-10-2006, 02:44 PM
To be fair Denver has bucked some serious injury ju-ju the last couple of years unlike the Chiefs. Statistics say it hits them hard this year. :)
Not to wish injury on them mind you but it has to catch up with them.

HC_Chief
03-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Dungver seems to make moves constantly to improve their team. We point & laugh at many of them, and to be honest, deservedly so (Plummer, Dale Carter), but they also make good moves from time to time (who knew the crappy Clev DL would be much improved in Dungver?). Point is, can't make improvements to your team if you stand pat.

keg in kc
03-10-2006, 02:53 PM
To be fair Denver has bucked some serious injury ju-ju the last couple of years unlike the Chiefs. Statistics say it hits them hard this year.Unlike the Chiefs? How many times has Priest been on IR? Keyaron Fox might've taken Bell's job if hadn't gone down in week 2. Kris Wilson and Kawika Mitchell both spent the better part of their first two seasons in the tub. Julien Battle last year. Tony Gonzalez has had a bad wheel for, what, three years now? We haven't had any less of an injury problem than any other team.

DJJasonp
03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Unlike the Chiefs? How many times has Priest been on IR? Keyaron Fox might've taken Bell's job if hadn't gone down in week 2. Kris Wilson and Kawika Mitchell both spent the better part of their first two seasons in the tub. Julien Battle last year. Tony Gonzalez has had a bad wheel for, what, three years now? We haven't had any less of an injury problem than any other team.

I think he meant that the Broncos didnt have injury problems (unlike the chiefs).

shaneo69
03-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I hope the Broncos trade for Abraham, sign TO and Jamal Lewis, and then Carl counters by re-signing Dalton.

Dallas Chief
03-10-2006, 04:16 PM
We need to target their capologist. I salute him since he's not in jail... yet! :)
That's hilarious :LOL: Target Mike Blum... HA!

ROYC75
03-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Nothing about Denver susprises me with the cap....... After all, it's not like they have never cheated before.

Mile High Mania
03-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Dungver seems to make moves constantly to improve their team. We point & laugh at many of them, and to be honest, deservedly so (Plummer, Dale Carter), but they also make good moves from time to time (who knew the crappy Clev DL would be much improved in Dungver?). Point is, can't make improvements to your team if you stand pat.
It doesn't matter to me if you guys don't think Plummer is worth a damn, but there's no way his addition to the team should be compared to that of Dale Carter.

Dale Carter, Darryl Gardner, Kennison, Dalton... there are many guys that failed to do anything, but Plummer shouldn't be on that list. This team has done pretty well with Jake at the helm for 3 years.

10 wins, 10 wins, 13 wins (1-3 playoffs)
Denver's offense has been in the top 10 offensively for points and yards in all 3 years. Plummer hasn't been a disappointment.

| 2003 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2003.htm) den (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/den2003.htm) | 11 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/PlumJa00.htm#2003) | 189 302 62.6 2182 7.2 15 7 | 37 205 3
| 2004 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2004.htm) den (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/den2004.htm) | 16 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/PlumJa00.htm#2004) | 303 521 58.2 4089 7.8 27 20 | 62 202 1
| 2005 (http://www.profootballreference.com/years/2005.htm) den (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/den2005.htm) | 16 (http://www.profootballreference.com/games/PlumJa00.htm#2005) | 277 456 60.7 3366 7.4 18 7 | 46 151 2

Skip Towne
03-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Apparently, Plummer, Rod Smith, and Champ Bailey all agreed to cut their salary down to minimum wage, because they got lucrative offseason jobs turning on the automatic sprinklers at Pat Bowlen's house.
I heard he was keeping the alligators out of Bowlen's pool. Doing a great job, too, not a single gator has gotten in.

alanm
03-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Unlike the Chiefs? How many times has Priest been on IR? Keyaron Fox might've taken Bell's job if hadn't gone down in week 2. Kris Wilson and Kawika Mitchell both spent the better part of their first two seasons in the tub. Julien Battle last year. Tony Gonzalez has had a bad wheel for, what, three years now? We haven't had any less of an injury problem than any other team.
That's what I meant by Denver bucking the injury bug. We've been hit extremely hard while Denver has been pretty lucky lately. Denver is due.

TEX
03-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Denver does stuff to improve thier team EVERY year, while the Chiefs do it every other year. There is definately a difference in philosophy.

stevieray
03-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Denver does stuff to improve thier team EVERY year, while the Chiefs do it every other year. There is definately a difference in philosophy.

yet the end result isn't different. It takes much more than just bringing in different guys every year. They have remained competitive, you can't take that from them.

Mile High Mania
03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
yet the end result isn't different. It takes much more than just bringing in different guys every year. They have remained competitive, you can't take that from them.

It's a little different. Denver's advanced to the playoffs the last 3 years and actually did the unthinkable by winning a game with Plummer... granted, they didn't win the SuperBowl, but they were one game away.

So, yeah... no difference if you're counting Titles... but, they're showing some signs of progress.

Word out of Dallas is that the Cowboys will do all they can to sign Owens. Take it for what it's worth.

KC Jones
03-10-2006, 08:07 PM
How is it that the Rat can be coach and GM, and do a better job at GMing than our own spectacular GM. Oh, that's right - I forgot our GM is also over burdened by his roles as President and CEO.

Mile High Mania
03-10-2006, 08:09 PM
How is it that the Rat can be coach and GM, and do a better job at GMing than our own spectacular GM. Oh, that's right - I forgot our GM is also over burdened by his roles as President and CEO.

Technically, the Rat isn't the GM ...

HerculesRockefell
03-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Technically, the Rat isn't the GM ...

Yeah, he's a Veep

Cormac
03-10-2006, 08:13 PM

I don't think the Denver Broncos really improve themselves. If we were Denver fans....

sorry......

:Lin:

....OK, I'm back......

we'd all be bitching about 1 playoff win since Elway. They have failed to get a decent QB or add any quality WRs to Rod Smith in the last several years. They had to trade a PB RB in order to get 1 decent CB, and have spent a lot of high draft picks on CBs. And last year all they did was bring in Cleveland's D-line. They ended up having a D much like the Chiefs. Decent against the run, but no pass defense, despite having some big names in the secondary.

It's all in how you look at it, I realise. But I don't them (or their philosophy) one bit.

JMO.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2006, 08:15 PM
we haven't made the playoffs in how long?

we haven't won a playoff game in how long?

Dungver has done both

Dungver has also won a super bowl in the last 30 yrs :(

no difference?! ... pass some of that, will ya :bong:

TEX
03-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't think the Denver Broncos really improve themselves. If we were Denver fans....

sorry......

:Lin:

....OK, I'm back......

we'd all be bitching about 1 playoff win since Elway. They have failed to get a decent QB or add any quality WRs to Rod Smith in the last several years. They had to trade a PB RB in order to get 1 decent CB, and have spent a lot of high draft picks on CBs. And last year all they did was bring in Cleveland's D-line. They ended up having a D much like the Chiefs. Decent against the run, but no pass defense, despite having some big names in the secondary.

It's all in how you look at it, I realise. But I don't them (or their philosophy) one bit.

JMO.

I hear ya, but lets see what they do this year. They finished 13-3, won the division, and actually managed to win a playoff game. I'm betting that they don't stand pat like we did the last time we won the division and finished 13-3. Thus, the difference in philosophy will become even more apparent.