PDA

View Full Version : USA and baseball power South Africa............

chiefqueen
03-10-2006, 03:53 PM
..........in extremely tight game.

chiefqueen
03-10-2006, 03:55 PM
HA! HA!

Made you look, they're one out away from mercy ruling South Africa.

tk13
03-10-2006, 04:14 PM
The first round was fun and all... but this next round is what I've been waiting for. I think this is where it starts to get exciting.

Two 4-team pools, both pools are loaded with good teams, and every team has a realistic shot at advancing. That second pool is just gonna be awesome. Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Cuba, Puerto Rico.... that's gonna be some great baseball, and great crowds too I'm sure.

vailpass
03-10-2006, 04:19 PM
The first round was fun and all... but this next round is what I've been waiting for. I think this is where it starts to get exciting.

Two 4-team pools, both pools are loaded with good teams, and every team has a realistic shot at advancing. That second pool is just gonna be awesome. Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Cuba, Puerto Rico.... that's gonna be some great baseball, and great crowds too I'm sure.

Yeah, that DR lineup is awesome. I don't see anyone stopping them from winning it all.

The crowd here in Phoenix for the USA-Mexico game was kind of cool; it was like what I hear happens at soccer games. The crowd was half for Mexico and half for USA so the chants would go back and forth. This town is definetely Little Mexico. It's awesome to see that many all-stars in the same (USA) uniform.

For the US-Canada game there were only 16,000 fans at the ballpark. Pretty embarrassing but typical of Phoenix sports "fans".

tk13
03-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I thought about making a thread about that today. I just don't understand why Americans don't get behind something like this. I love it, I think it's great. All these people complaining about how spoiled and money driven pro sports has become, here is your perfect answer to that. Not playing for a bunch of money, just a bunch of All-Stars playing for their country. And there really is no sure favorite like there's supposed to be in basketball or other international sports.

The Dominicans sure look tough though... plus they're supposed to get Vlad Guerrero back for this next round. Their lineup is going to be sickening. The US or Venezuelan pitching is going to have to have a lights out type day to contain them, that might be the only chance. Actually I'm real interested in seeing how Cuba does against them... Cuba's such a total wildcard in this, you just don't know how good they are. I think the US-Japan matchup should be real interesting too.

vailpass
03-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I went to the USA-Mexico game. Did you see me? I was the white guy drinking a beer.

ROFL
Yeah, I thought that was you. You were sitting in that one section in front of those people. You were wearing that one shirt and drinking a lot of beer. I couldn't help but notice that you applauded at the appropriate time when what's-his-name jacked that homer.

vailpass
03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I thought about making a thread about that today. I just don't understand why Americans don't get behind something like this. I love it, I think it's great. All these people complaining about how spoiled and money driven pro sports has become, here is your perfect answer to that. Not playing for a bunch of money, just a bunch of All-Stars playing for their country. And there really is no sure favorite like there's supposed to be in basketball or other international sports.

The Dominicans sure look tough though... plus they're supposed to get Vlad Guerrero back for this next round. Their lineup is going to be sickening. The US or Venezuelan pitching is going to have to have a lights out type day to contain them, that might be the only chance. Actually I'm real interested in seeing how Cuba does against them... Cuba's such a total wildcard in this, you just don't know how good they are. I think the US-Japan matchup should be real interesting too.

I agree completely. Did you see how pumped up the crowds are in the Latin American bracket? It's very cool to see other countries adopt our national pastime and make it their own. You can see the pride in their fan's faces.

vailpass
03-10-2006, 05:16 PM
I only had too many. Honest.

Fixed. :thumb:

chiefqueen
03-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Actually the US did the Royals a favor, by winning the US eliminated Canada meaning Guiel and Stairs are headed back to Surprise.

Logical
03-10-2006, 05:33 PM
I agree completely. Did you see how pumped up the crowds are in the Latin American bracket? It's very cool to see other countries adopt our national pastime and make it their own. You can see the pride in their fan's faces.

Is there a football tournament going on?

vailpass
03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Is there a football tournament going on?

True. I guess I should have said "our former national pastime".

Ultra Peanut
03-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Anyone who likes baseball that tries to accuse soccer of being boring is a waste of oxygen.

I went to the USA-Mexico game. Did you see me? I was the white guy drinking a beer.Dude, I totally saw you!

VonneMarie
03-10-2006, 07:47 PM
We won... yay.

dj56dt58
03-11-2006, 12:28 AM
I damn near took the spread picking SA to lose by less than the 11 point spread. I was gonna put 50 dollars on it but couldnt decide for sure. I decided to flip a coin and if it landed on heads I would do it. It landed heads 5 times in a row...but something told me not to do it so I didn't. thank god. I figured they would slack off a little but then I remembered they would be pissed after losing to canada.

Frazod
03-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Anyone who likes baseball that tries to accuse soccer of being boring is a waste of oxygen.

Waste of oxygen? Not likely.

AMERICAN CITIZEN BORN IN THIS COUNTRY? Probably.

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2006, 12:34 AM
AMERICAN CITIZEN BORN IN THIS COUNTRY? Probably.Well, there are a lot of morons in America.

Frazod
03-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Well, there are a lot of morons in America.

Yes. Many of them like soccer. The rest of us think it's the most boring goddamn thing on earth. And we're right.

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Yes. Many of them like soccer. The rest of us think it's the most boring goddamn thing on earth. And we're right.After that convincing argument from someone who surely has so much experience viewing both sports, I must concede defeat.

Frazod
03-11-2006, 12:38 AM
After that convincing argument from someone who surely has so much experience viewing both sports, I must concede defeat.

Either that or catch the next garbage scow to the third world.

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes. You're not American if you like soccer. What a refreshing and unexpected point of view.

Frazod
03-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Seems like you used to claim to be a Cubs fan. I guess I really can't blame you for liking soccer.

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2006, 12:46 AM
I am a Cubs fan. Baseball's fine, when I care about the outcome of a game or I'm actually at the game and can bask in its leisurely pace. I've even had the WBC on for background noise a lot over the past week.

This being baseball's answer to the World Cup, however, I figured soccer would come up at some point, and thought I'd note that there's no comparison between the two, boredom-wise. But hey, if you prefer lots of standing around to lots of stuff going on, that's your choice. At least I've actually watched enough of both to form an actual opinion.

Then again, I used to think bashing soccer was cool, too... when I was twelve.

Frazod
03-11-2006, 01:00 AM
I am a Cubs fan. Baseball's fine, when I care about the outcome of a game or I'm actually at the game and can bask in its leisurely pace. I've even had the WBC on for background noise a lot over the past week.

This being baseball's answer to the World Cup, however, I figured soccer would come up at some point, and thought I'd note that there's no comparison between the two, boredom-wise. But hey, if you prefer lots of standing around to lots of stuff going on, that's your choice. At least I've actually watched enough of both to form an actual opinion.

Soccer came up when you brought it up, along with the "waste of oxygen" slam. I wouldn't have said anything about it otherwise. You and the permachip on your shoulder are the ones with something to prove.

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Hush you, waste of oxygen.

dj56dt58
03-11-2006, 01:05 AM

Was you yelling at them to take Lee out after being hit too?

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Was you yelling at them to take Lee out after being hit too?I've been too preoccupied with the C-USA tournament to follow the WBC much over the last few days, but D-Lee is indeed a precious commodity.

And a REAL AMERICAN, unlike that traitor Pujols!

tk13
03-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Baseball is a thinking man's game.

Frazod
03-11-2006, 01:11 AM
I've been too preoccupied with the C-USA tournament to follow the WBC much over the last few days, but D-Lee is indeed a precious commodity.

And a REAL AMERICAN, unlike that traitor Pujols!

You mean the MVP Pujols?

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2006, 01:16 AM
You mean the MVP Pujols?They gave him the MVP because they hate America!