PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Collins talks to other teams

Skyy God
03-12-2006, 04:47 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/14077595.htm

Todd Collins was jostled from his vacation in the Bahamas on Saturday morning, shortly after free-agency began at midnight Eastern time. Washington coach Joe Gibbs was on the speakerphone. San Francisco called, too.

After five years of carrying a clipboard as the Chiefs’ No. 2 quarterback behind Trent Green, Collins is about to have a busy month.

He was scheduled to leave a Bahamas fishing trip and meet with Washington on Saturday, his agent, Brad Blank, said. The obvious tie to Washington is Al Saunders, the team’s new offensive coordinator who worked with Collins in Kansas City.

Collins does have starting experience, but he hasn’t been in that role since 1997 in Buffalo. In Kansas City since 1998, he has completed just 18 of 27 passes for 229 yards and one touchdown.

Washington is shopping backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey and needs depth behind veteran starter Mark Brunell.

While teams scurried to fly free agents in and out of town over the weekend, the Chiefs had a quiet start to the period. President/general manager Carl Peterson said he didn’t anticipate the club being active at the start of free-agency.

By late Friday, Kansas City was under the salary cap with help from running back Priest Holmes and lineman Chris Bober, who restructured their contracts.

In other Chiefs news, former Panthers long snapper Adam Johnson has been added to the roster. Ed Perry, picked up in 2005 to replace injured snapper Kendall Gammon, is not on the roster.

Dunit35
03-12-2006, 04:55 AM
Why does Al Saunders have such an obsession with Todd Collins?

HMc
03-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Y'know sometimes i think its better for some guys to be career backups. You make awesome money for doing sweet fug all and you never get the oppportunity to fail miserably.

I'm not describing collins here, i don't even think ive seen him throw a ball. Great clipboard technique though, and he nods his head with authority.

Chiefs Express
03-12-2006, 06:44 AM
With Casey Printers in KC now it seems as if Todd is hedging his bet and looking for a team that will keep him holding the clipboard.

the Talking Can
03-12-2006, 07:06 AM
no one scratches their chin thoughtfully like he does...

milkman
03-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Damnit Carl!

I never once saw Collins drop a clipboard.

Where are we going to find that kind of consistency without Todd?

Manila-Chief
03-12-2006, 08:31 AM
When did Todd get cut? I can't find where he was cut??? He is still listed on the roster. Therefore, why is he getting calls from other clubs? I thought there is a tampering rule in place???

I'm confused. I think Todd was never given a chance and just may turn out to be a good Q.B. but we just don't know. But, he is getting rather long in the tooth and it is time to allow one of the younger Q.B. to take his snaps in practice, preseason, and in games.

I'm glad D.V. is gone ... one reason is he didn't allow other Q.B.'s to gain experince. Seems Herm will allow younger guys to play and may even get other Q.B.s in the game when we have a big lead????

It is time we develop a Q.B. or at least see if one of the young ones may just be a QBOF.

So, I hope Todd is looking for work

milkman
03-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Manila.

Collins' contract expired and he is now an UFA.

Manila-Chief
03-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks!!!!

That explains it. But, he is still listed on the roster and that is what confused me. I guess I read that but somehow it didn't register with me. I was more concerned with the "more important" guys that are UFA's.

So, Kingless didn't actually take this action. He just let it happen.

Otter
03-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Y'know sometimes i think its better for some guys to be career backups. You make awesome money for doing sweet fug all and you never get the oppportunity to fail miserably.

I'm not describing collins here, i don't even think ive seen him throw a ball. Great clipboard technique though, and he nods his head with authority.

I think when all is said and done and I had to look back at my career I’d rather fail then to never have given it a shot. Collins is a QB in the NFL, a dream job, and hasn’t done anything but hold a clipboard for the last 10 years.

Nice way to make a living but he seems to be wasting the opportunity men dream of.

C-Mac
03-12-2006, 10:08 AM
I think when all is said and done and I had to look back at my career I’d rather fail then to never have given it a shot. Collins is a QB in the NFL, a dream job, and hasn’t done anything but hold a clipboard for the last 10 years.

Nice way to make a living but he seems to be wasting the opportunity men dream of.

Who would of thunk it that the second string QB would never get that oppourtunity from the normal percentage of first string QB's knocked out of a game.

Otter
03-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Who would of thunk it that the second string QB would never get that oppourtunity from the normal percentage of first string QB's knocked out of a game.

If I’m misinterpreting what you've said then I apologize, but there’s 32 teams in the NFL. I’d rather start for the Saints then backup the Chiefs.

Just me though, not saying it’s right or wrong either way. It’s just what would make me sleep easier at night.

jspchief
03-12-2006, 10:30 AM

Nice way to make a living but he seems to be wasting the opportunity men dream of.Huh? He did try and fail. At Buffalo.

You make it sound like there are a bunch of starting opportunities out there for Collins. If anyone actually thought he was capable of starting, he would have been lured away from KC a long time ago. The only reason he's moving on now is the chance of a bigger payday in what is likely the last contract of his career. And he'll still be a back-up.

C-Mac
03-12-2006, 10:32 AM
If I’m misinterpreting what you've said then I apologize, but there’s 32 teams in the NFL. I’d rather start for the Saints then backup the Chiefs.

Just me though, not saying it’s right or wrong either way. It’s just what would make me sleep easier at night.

I agree with you, I was just trying to convey that many second string quarterbacks feel that they will get their opourtunity to shine because of the large percentage of injuries. It just seems that Collins needed that next step to move to someone even wanting him to be their starting QB. It just never came for him.

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Me, not knowing his salary ? I think I could suit up for a 1/2 to a 1 mill salary per year and hold a clipboard.

But that's just me......

StcChief
03-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Casey Printers deal better pan out. Hope he isn't thrust in to the starting job.

Damn it, Carl. :cuss:

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Huh? He did try and fail. At Buffalo.

You make it sound like there are a bunch of starting opportunities out there for Collins. If anyone actually thought he was capable of starting, he would have been lured away from KC a long time ago. The only reason he's moving on now is the chance of a bigger payday in what is likely the last contract of his career. And he'll still be a back-up.

Yep ....... :clap:

Otter
03-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Huh? He did try and fail. At Buffalo.

Dude, I have no idea what goes through his head or what he could have done.

Kerry Collins got a starting job with the Raiders. Kurt Warner was apparently a bag boy (that's the joke anyway) at a grocery store before he won a super bowl.

Is he pissing away the opportunity of a lifetime? I don't know for sure but it sure seems that way. I don't envy him, that's for sure.

Otter
03-12-2006, 01:56 PM
The only reason he's moving on now is the chance of a bigger payday in what is likely the last contract of his career. And he'll still be a back-up.

Think about that for a minute.

big nasty kcnut
03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Bye todd thank for sucking in preseason games.

jspchief
03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Dude, I have no idea what goes through his head or what he could have done.

Kerry Collins got a starting job with the Raiders. Kurt Warner was apparently a bag boy (that's the joke anyway) at a grocery store before he won a super bowl.

Is he pissing away the opportunity of a lifetime? I don't know for sure but it sure seems that way. I don't envy him, that's for sure.What do Kerry Collins and Warner have to do with Todd Collins? Both of those QBs have taken teams to Superbowls.

Todd Collins got his chance to start, and failed. Since then he's spent eight years on the bench, and no team has given him a shot at a starting job. It's hard to piss away an opportunity that no one has given you. He sucks. He's good enough to be a back-up. Regardless of what he wants, NFL teams don't want to give him the chance.

OldTownChief
03-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Bye todd thank for sucking in preseason games.

And thanks for sucking in Buffalo when you had a 1st and goal at the end of a game in Arrowhead. 4 straight sucky passes, giving us the win.

StcChief
03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
What do Kerry Collins and Warner have to do with Todd Collins? Both of those QBs have taken teams to Superbowls.

Todd Collins got his chance to start, and failed. Since then he's spent eight years on the bench, and no team has given him a shot at a starting job. It's hard to piss away an opportunity that no one has given you. He sucks. He's good enough to be a back-up. Regardless of what he wants, NFL teams don't want to give him the chance.

He is less than avg NFL QB when starting. Backup ok.

We did the right thing, not our QB of future.

Otter
03-12-2006, 02:19 PM
What do Kerry Collins and Warner have to do with Todd Collins? Both of those QBs have taken teams to Superbowls.

Collins started for the Bills 10 years ago and failed. Trent Geen was a backup for the Washington Redskins back then and failed.

Rarely does life throw opportinity on you doorstep. You have to make stuff happen.

We could argue all day about what could have been and neither of us will ever be proven correct.

Given the same circumstaces I like to think I would have moved on when the Chiefs started Warren Moon over him. That was a pretty good indication of what the Chiefs thought of him.

I see your point, I just think he should have moved on years ago. Like I said, who the hell knows what's going on behind the scenes.

HMc
03-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Collins started for the Bills 10 years ago and failed. Trent Geen was a backup for the Washington Redskins back then and failed.

Rarely does life throw opportinity on you doorstep. You have to make stuff happen.

We could argue all day about what could have been and neither of us will ever be proven correct.

Given the same circumstaces I like to think I would have moved on when the Chiefs started Warren Moon over him. That was a pretty good indication of what the Chiefs thought of him.

I see your point, I just think he should have moved on years ago. Like I said, who the hell knows what's going on behind the scenes.

Moved on to where, exactly? I think you'll find that you lack leverage when you haven't proven yourself as a starter, and there's plenty of others willing to take your spot as a 2nd or 3rd stringer in the NFL if you decide you don't want it.

morphius
03-12-2006, 07:42 PM
This is an easy one. Coaches like to bring in people from their past posts to help "coach" other players in the scheme so he doesn't have to do all the work.

Mr. Laz
03-12-2006, 07:50 PM
who says he does?

IIRC collins was here before Al ... the chiefs just kept him around as a cheap veteran backup because they never picked up a QBotf.

easy to see why Al is considering Collins in Washington ... he'll speed up the learning process for his offense there.

:shrug:

Coach
03-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks!!!!

That explains it. But, he is still listed on the roster and that is what confused me. I guess I read that but somehow it didn't register with me. I was more concerned with the "more important" guys that are UFA's.

So, Kingless didn't actually take this action. He just let it happen.

Well which website roster are ya seeing that Todd is still on the team? If it's kcchiefs.com, then just dis-regard that. kcchiefs.com is horrible/slow on updating things.

Phobia
03-12-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/14077595.htm

In Kansas City since 1998, he has completed just 18 of 27 passes for 229 yards and one touchdown.

"Just" 18 of 27 is a pretty good day for a backup QB.

morphius
03-12-2006, 08:16 PM
"Just" 18 of 27 is a pretty good day for a backup QB.
Not when 80% of his passes were the "safe" passes to RB's. :D

Sure-Oz
03-12-2006, 08:39 PM
id take his job doesnt have to step on the field and sits the whole time and gets paid alot