PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tourney screw jobs

banyon
03-12-2006, 11:22 PM
This is the worst a tournament committee has performed in quite some time IMO. I will list the moves I view as mistakes from most egregious to least.

#1- Air Force in as a #13 seed, Utah State in as a #12 seed. Missouri State, Cincinnatti, and Florida St. left out.

AF has only beaten 1 team in the tourney (San Diego St.), likewise Utah St. only beat 1 team in the tourney (Nevada).

Missouri St. beat Oral Roberts, SIU, Bradley, N. Iowa, and Wisc-Milwaukee. By my count that's 4-1. Cincy and FSU went 8-8 and 9-7 in two of the toughest conferences. They both beat several tourney teams along the way. I could almost understand if Missouri St was snubbed in favor of Cincy or FSU, but Air Force?! They have more quality wins, fewer bad losses, and a much higher RPI. WTF could Air Force's bid over the Bears be based on? Donald Rumsfeld's recommendation? Giant screw job (although I did predict it.)

#2-George Washington gets a #8 seed. This team lost 2 games. I mean the A-10 isn't exactly the Big East, but this team was ranked #6 in the country just last week. Pops Mensa-Bonsu's health supposedly affected this seed (even though he may play), so why didn't Allan Ray's health affect Villanova's seed? Either drop them to a 2, or raise GW to a 6. Oh yeah, and if they win their first round game, they get to play Duke. Happy happy joy joy.

#3- Tennessee a #2 seed. I mean c'mon really, WTF? Yeah their RPI is #6, but that didn't matter so much when we were excluding Missouri St.
This is a team that has dropped games to S. Carolina, Arkansas, and Kentucky, all in the last week and a half. Their best victory was when they pasted TX @ TX, but Gibson was hurt for that game. UNC won the title last year, but lost to Santa Clara when Felton was injured. They should be a #4 at best IMO. This seed should've gone to Gonzaga (see next item).

#4-Gonzaga gets a #3 seed. They didn't lose to anybody in conference, played a tough nonconference schedule. They performed better than last year, but get the same seed. I mean their story is pretty much Memphis's. So if you are going to reward the Tigers with a #1, be consistent and give the Zags a #2.

#5-Indiana gets a #6 seed. Hell, I thought they were a bubble team, now they are a six? just based on what they did in the Big 10 tourney, winning 1 game (against Wisconsin)? Their RPI was #34, but this team is 18-11. This is a team that is 5-6 in its last 11 games. 4 of those wins were against non-tourney teams too. They should've been more like a #9 seed or something.

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Agree with most of that, except the Indiana part. They had a better resume than the teams they were placed right ahead of. They've got a real good amount of quality wins and played a good OOC schedule. I had them as a 7 seed, so a 6 isn't crazy to me.

Tennessee getting a #2 and Pittsburgh getting a #5 were probably my biggest gripes in regards to seeding, though I thought GW got completely disrespected.

ArrowheadHawk
03-12-2006, 11:29 PM
good points im just glad ku made it 18 in s row although i think our potential second rnd matchup with pitsburg kinda sux

tk13
03-12-2006, 11:31 PM
If Bonsu is healthy, I think that is a nightmare 2nd round matchup for Duke.

banyon
03-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Agree with most of that, except the Indiana part. They had a better resume than the teams they were placed right ahead of. They've got a real good amount of quality wins and played a good OOC schedule. I had them as a 7 seed, so a 6 isn't crazy to me.

Tennessee getting a #2 and Pittsburgh getting a #5 were probably my biggest gripes in regards to seeding, though I thought GW got completely disrespected.

About Indy. In the past the selection commitee has said that how you are doing lately is important (probably the only reason to leave Michigan, Cincy, and FSU out). But Indy is 5-6 in its last 11, only beating non-tourney teams.

But it was the one I felt the least bad about, so I guess it's no big whoop. I guess I would've given that seed to GWash.

HolmeZz
03-13-2006, 02:36 AM
Well they did play well right at the end of the season, beating Michigan State, winning at Michigan, beating Wisconsin in the B10 tourney, and then losing a heartbreaker to Ohio State.

tk13
03-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Indiana could be dangerous if they got their head on straight. They have a big guy in Killingsworth who can dominate if he's focused, and they can really shoot the three. I don't think there's a team in their bracket they couldn't beat. It's staying focused for 4 or 5 straight games that'd be the problem.

OldTownChief
03-13-2006, 06:26 AM
I'm looking forward to a WSU vs Tenn in the second round. That is if WSU doesn't choke against Seaton Hall.

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm looking forward to a WSU vs Tenn in the second round. That is if <strike>WSU</strike> Tennessee doesn't choke against <strike>Seaton Hall</strike> Winthrop.FYP

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 06:51 AM
I like that 2 vs 15 upset too, Psi.

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2006, 07:02 AM
UTK is playing like pure crap at this point, so anything can happen. Winthrop hasn't done as well as they were expected to this season, but they're a solid team from a terrible conference. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it come to pass.

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2006, 07:06 AM
From an anonymous poster elsewhere:

My theory --- It was all geography. (none / 0)

Looks to me like Geography was a huge factor.

Think about it.

The two furthest west bubble teams, Air Force and Utah St. (if you even considered them bubble teams before today) get in the tourney and magically play in the two west locations, San Diego and Salt Lake. No long travel burden for Cincy, Michigan, Missouri St. or Hofstra.

Montana draws a puzzling 12 seed... which magically puts them in Salt Lake City.

Nevada surprises everyone with a 5 seed... which magically lands them in Salt Lake City.

SD St. gets an 11... which magically puts them in Salt Lake (closes place they are allowed to play).

Pacific gets a shockingly generous 13...which magically puts them in Salt Lake.

Sensing a pattern here with Salt Lake?

How about Greensboro?

Winthrop gets screwed with a 15... which magically puts them in Greensboro.

GW gets screwed with an 8... which magically puts them in Greensboro (one of the two places in driving distance).

UNC-Wilmington gets a 9... which magically puts them in Greensboro.

How about Dallas?

Arkansas gets an 8 seed -- and a higher one than GW.... which magically puts them in Dallas (closest place).

Oral Roberts surprises everyone by getting just a 16 seed... which magically puts them in the closest place, Dallas.

There's more, too, as virtually every puzzling seed got a close geographic location:

Everyone had Kent St. as a 13, but they get a 12... which magically puts them a couple hour drive to Auburn Hills.

Bradley gets that puzzling 13... but look where it magically lands them: Auburn Hills.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Duh.

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Duh.It's not shocking that they've veered towards the monay, but it's nice to see some of their machinations laid out like that.

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Duh.
That is the most intelligent statement you've made in weeks.

teedubya
03-13-2006, 07:27 AM
That is the most intelligent statement you've made in weeks.

This is true.

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2006, 07:28 AM
BOB ROSS CONCURS

happy little tree

donkhater
03-13-2006, 07:37 AM
I'm an IU fan but not really a fan of this team. This team goes through big spurts where it is obvious they have no clue. They have one big guy over 6-9 who really isn't a big guy (Ben Allen). Killingsworth is their ONLY inside threat and he's just too stupid to go through a game without getting into foul trouble.

Losing DJ White for the season just killed this team. Had he not gotten hurt the second time, I really believe this was a top ten team and could've challenge for the elite eight. As it is, they are just too small and their only inside threat is 6-8 with a peanut brain.

royr17
03-13-2006, 07:51 AM
I tell you Western Kentucky got screwed too, they finished the year with a 23-7 record even though they did lose to south alabama in there championship game

ct
03-13-2006, 09:03 AM
I like Tennessee with a #2, cause if the Shockers can get by Seton Hall, which I think they should, that's a winnable game to hit the Sweet 16!!

ChiefsCountry
03-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Interesting here is a nice post from an Ohio State Board.....Makes sense

Selection committee for NCAA (frauds)...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really stands for "(N)epotism (C)an (A)lleviate (A)nything.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nepotism

n : favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power (as by giving them jobs)

Behold the NCAA Selection Committee that presided over this 2006 NCAA Tournament Bracket...

Karl Benson - WAC Commissioner (06)

Mr. Benson was able to help his fellow members select Utah State in the NCAA Tournament field despite having an SOS of 102 and having three (3) losses outside the top 100 and only one (1) top 50 win. Utah State played exactly ONE top 100 team (BYU) in the non-conference season. They played NO ONE from any major conference. And how about Nevada? They were WELL rewarded as a No. 5 seed, pleasing commisioner Benson, who also happened to be thrilled in 1998 when his New Mexico club (67 RPI) shocked everyone by making the NCAA Tournament. But don't be fooled that Lunardi and Palm had Nevada 7 seeds. I'm sure they were deserving. So what that they had 3 sub 100 losses? So what that their only two top 100 non-conference wins were against Kansas and Akron, and so what that George Washington and other teams in their situation bit the bullet while Nevada thrived.

Dan Guerrero - UCLA AD (10)

UCLA is a very good team, and well deserving of praise and their ranking, but Mr. Guerrero must be very happy that his team, UCLA, got a somewhat surprising No. 2 seed when bracket experts Jerry Palm and Joe Lunardi expected them as a No. 3. Certainly UCLA was playing really well late in the season, and you can't necessarily say they aren't worthy, although they had only 3 wins in the top 75 in the non-conference, and 2 of those (Temple and Michigan) were teams that didn't make the field. Their only non-conference win against a tourney team was Nevada). Consider Illinois, a team that was given a 4-seed, had non-conference wins against Wichita State, @North Carolina, Georgetown, and Xavier along with Big Ten conference wins against Michigan State (twice), Indiana, Iowa and Michigan. Oh, and Illinois had nine (9) top 50 wins while UCLA had five (5).

But Mr. Guerrero can rest easy, since his collegue was also rewarded.

Mike Slive - SEC Commissioner (09)

More rewarding than UCLA being given a 2-seed, Tennessee was the surprise 2 seed of the NCAA Tournament. The Volunteers led by Bruce Pearl were a very good team this year, but finished the season with a 4-6 record. What No. 2 seed have you ever heard of that finished that strong? But you can't accuse anyone of wanting to protect Slive's best team, or you can't fault anyone for putting Florida a No. 3 seed despite having a non-conference SOS of over 100. Favortism for the SEC? No way! For the record, bracket experts Lunardi and Palm had Florida 4 seeds and Tennessee 5 seeds.

Christopher Hill - Utah AD (09)

Mr. Hill has to be happy for fellow Mountain West member, Air Force. Air Force managed to surprise people by getting in the NCAA Tournament despite an RPI of No. 50, an SOS of 168, a non-conference SOS of over 200, and playing just TWO games against top 100 teams in the non-conference... Washington (a loss) and Miami Fla (No. 78 ). I'm sure Hill is also pleased that San Diego State got such a favorable seed at No. 11. Bracket experts Lunardi and Palm expected a 12 seed for th Aztecs. SDSU had 5 losses against sub-100 teams in the RPI and ironically enough, their only top 50 win was against - Air Force.

Thomas O'Connor - George Mason AD (09)

The committee is supposed to take into account injuries and suspesions to the point of whether teams will have a full compliment of players going into the tournament. It's nice, then, that O'Connor will see his George Mason club in the NCAA Tournament despite their leading scorer Tony Skinner being suspended for the first game because of throwing a punch at an opponent against Hofstra. Speaking of the pride, it's unfortunate, however, the Pride missed out on the NCAA Tournament despite beating George Mason twice. Mason had an SOS of 89 and their only top 100 non-conference win was against Wichita State in the bracket buster.

Laing Kennedy - Kent St AD (10)

Mr. Kennedy's Golden Flashes finished the season well, but I'm sure he's feeling fortunate his committee friends decided that Kent State was worthy of a 12 seed over someone like say, Bradley, despite having no top 50 wins and their only top 100 non-conference win was against Butler (no. 80). Bradley, btw, beat Western Kentucky and DePaul in addition to their two wins against UNI and a win against Wichita State. Bradley had half the SOS of Kent State and was expected by Lunardi and Palm to be about a 10 or 11 seed.

Robert Vowels - SWAC Commissioner (10)

Lastly, Mr. Vowels has gotta be kind of relieved. His Southern Jaguars avoided the play-in game, something that both Lunardi and Palm expected of the nation's worst-rated conference and their champion. It's only the second time the SWAC champ has not been a play-in opponent since they started it 5 years ago.

Hopefully, Jonathan LeCrone, the Horizon commisioner is happy about Wis-Milwaukee's 11 seed, also somewhat surprising to Palm and Lundari, who had them a 12.

To the 10th member, Gary Walters, Princeton AD... I hope your Ivy education came in handy.

StcChief
03-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.