PDA

View Full Version : John Chaney to retire

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Longtime Temple coach John Chaney will announce his retirement at an 11 a.m. ET press conference, a source told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

A Hall of Famer, Chaney, 74, guided Temple to five NCAA regional finals and 17 NCAA Tournament appearances in 24 seasons in North Philadelphia.

This season, Temple (17-14) made the NIT for the fifth straight season, a dramatic decline from when it was a tournament regular.

Chaney has 741 wins as a college coach, including a 516-252 record at Temple, and has won six Atlantic 10 titles. He was twice named national coach of the year and is a five-time Atlantic 10 coach of the year.

He began his collegiate coaching career at Cheney State University where he led his team to the 1978 Division II National Championship.

arrowheadnation
03-13-2006, 08:51 AM
^^and your beloved Huggins is on the short list of replacements. Just heard that from Andy Katz on Mike & Mike in the morning.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 08:52 AM
^^and your beloved Huggins is on the short list of replacements. Just heard that from Andy Katz on Mike & Mike in the morning.
Yep. I don't think Temple can afford Huggins though. At least I hope not.

Dunit35
03-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Is there any talk of who the next KSU coach could be Saul?

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Is there any talk of who the next KSU coach could be Saul?
Yes.

Dunit35
03-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Yes.

Good one...I figured there was talk, but who are the frontrunners for it?

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Good one...I figured there was talk, but who are the frontrunners for it?
The credentials that ADTW laid out:

1. HC experience
1A. NCAA Tournament experience

That's about it. Hopefully we stick to that. Some names that have been thrown around:

Bob Huggins (Ex-Cincinatti Coach), Chris Lowery (Southern Illinois HC), Greg McDermott (Northern Iowa HC), Barry Hinson (Mo State HC), Mike Anderson (UAB HC), Rob Jeter (Wisconsin-Milwaukee HC)

Dunit35
03-13-2006, 09:07 AM

1. HC experience

That's about it. Hopefully we stick to that. Some names that have been thrown around:

Bob Huggins (Ex-Cincinatti Coach), Chris Lowery (Southern Illinois HC), Greg McDermott (Northern Iowa HC), Barry Hinson (Mo State HC), Mike Anderson (UAB HC), Rob Jeter (Wisconsin-Milwaukee HC)

hmm...don't know any of them besides Huggins.

I guess I won't waste paper and put my name in it since you have to have HC experience.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 09:35 AM

1. HC experience

I see they are going the route I mentioned, a Mid Major coach, mostly MVC coaches.

Anderson, Lowery, and Hinson are / would be a solid choice. I just find that Huggins would rather be somewhere where it is easier to recruit.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Anderson, Lowery, and Hinson are / would be a solid choice. I just find that Huggins would rather be somewhere where it is easier to recruit.
I think Anderson and Lowery are solid choices. I don't want Hinson.

Anderson would likely want to stay closer to home (the South). Lowery I think is a pretty solid candidate who we have a good chance of hiring.

Your last statement is stupid.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Your last statement is stupid.

Really ? How many top notch quality players, Mc Donalds All American does KSU get in a century little know any given year ?

Nuff said ............

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Really ? How many top notch quality players, Mc Donalds All American does KSU get in a century little know any given year ?

Nuff said ............
How many McD's AA does San Diego State get? San Diego is probably the best location in the country to recruit to.

On the flip side, Oklahoma State is located in Stoolwater, OK. Gee. How do they ever get players?

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 09:46 AM
How many McD's AA does San Diego State get? San Diego is probably the best location in the country to recruit to.

On the flip side, Oklahoma State is located in Stoolwater, OK. Gee. How do they ever get players?

Coaching ? Last time I checked Sutton and Fischer were some pretty big names.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Coaching ? Last time I checked Sutton and Fischer were some pretty big names.
You just contradicted yourself. A good coach goes much further than location. So does good facilities, and good boosters. :)

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 09:49 AM

They take big clumsy guys like Big Country and make players out of them. Also, Tulsa is an hour away.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 09:51 AM
ROFL

Just the fact that it is located in Oklahoma is bad enough. That entire state is just shit.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 09:56 AM
You just contradicted yourself. A good coach goes much further than location. So does good facilities, and good boosters. :)

I see you are still trying to defend yourself.

Find a good coach and build from there. That's the biggest selling point, the players must believe in their leader. KSU has not had good leaders ( coaching ) since the days of Hartman and Kruger.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 09:58 AM
ROFL

Just the fact that it is located in Oklahoma is bad enough. That entire state is just shit.

People say that about Kansas too, but KU gets players. Again, coaching is your answer. Sampson and Sutton is bigger than anything KSU can throw out there.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Bout time, should have done that 3 years ago.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 10:02 AM
I see you are still trying to defend yourself.

Find a good coach and build from there. That's the biggest selling point, the players must believe in their leader. KSU has not had good leaders ( coaching ) since the days of Hartman and Kruger.
%100 agreed. The first thing a recruit knows about a University is its coach. Generally the coach will fly out to visit the recruit in home. The coach is the most important thing when trying to sell a basketball program. The absolutely retarded statement that "It's hard to get recruits to xxx location" can be proven false. Noone goes to Storrs, CT for the scenery. If location was such an important thing for recruits (I find it funny that 50+ year old men try to tell me what is important to an 18 year old), UNLV (irony there) , Miami U, USD, would all be in the tourney right now, and every year.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Bout time, should have done that 3 years ago.
He's a legend in Philly. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
%100 agreed. The first thing a recruit knows about a University is its coach. Generally the coach will fly out to visit the recruit in home. The coach is the most important thing when trying to sell a basketball program. The absolutely retarded statement that "It's hard to get recruits to xxx location" can be proven false. Noone goes to Storrs, CT for the scenery. If location was such an important thing for recruits (I find it funny that 50+ year old men try to tell me what is important to an 18 year old), UNLV (irony there) , Miami U, USD, would all be in the tourney right now, and every year.

Let it go Saul. Your hang up is I think Huggins would rather be in a place that has already / or is easier to establish recruiting. It's no secret that Tobacco Road, the Big East area is easiest to recruit top notch talent. It has for years. Ole Roy claimed it was hard, he always went west most of the time and had to sell KU's tradition and his style to compete with them. He has stated this many times.

Again, IMHO, I think Huggins would be happier and will look for a Name school that has some ( more than KSU ) back ground tradition.

Manhattan is out in the middle of nowhere, alot like Stillwater, but the tradition of OSU is bigger than KSU. Their current coach is better too .

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 10:13 AM
He's a legend in Philly. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

He is, but his time should have stopped before his NCAA Tourney fiasco and his latest bout last year.

I always admired his efforts as a coach and respected him, but I lost that last year.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
The state of Texas produces enough basketball talent to fill any Big XII roster.

FloridaMan88
03-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Good riddance. Chaney should have been fired after the stunt he pulled last year. Not to mention the style of play he used at Temple was the most disgusting, boring style of basketball this side of Dick Bennett.

The basketball world is better off now that Dick Bennett and John Chaney aren't coaching anymore

JimNasium
03-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I would be shocked if Barry Hinson goes anywhere.