PDA

View Full Version : I was under the impression that...

BTAU
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
The Redskins didn't have that much room under the cap.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Redskins | Preparing to offer Archuleta a contract?
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:31:32 -0800

John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports according to a source, the Washington Redskins are preparing to offer free agent S Adam Archuleta (Rams) a multiyear contract worth $3.5 million annually. Archuleta is considered a possible target of the New England Patriots.

Redskins | Team to visit with Abraham
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:35:39 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Washington Redskins scheduled New York Jets franchise DE John Abraham for a visit Sunday night, March 12. It will be interesting to see if the Redskins have the right draft choices to trade to the Jets for Abraham. The team has only a second, a fifth, two sixths and a seventh in the 2006 NFL Draft.

I guess I was wrong.

Bowser
03-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Apparently the salary cap is just a suggestion, not a rule. At least for the Snyder Redskins.

shaneo69
03-13-2006, 10:15 AM
I think this is the "every other year" that the Redskins spend money.

KCChiefsFan88
03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Wonder what Al Saunders is thinking about being with a club that actually aggressively goes out in free agency and quickly addresses their needs.

Must be nice after working under Carl Peterson

Bowser
03-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Wonder what Al Saunders is thinking about being with a club that actually aggressively goes out in free agency and quickly addresses their needs.

Must be nice after working under Carl Peterson

Heh.

Dan Snyder: Al, what do I have to do to get you to be my offensive co-ordinator?

Al Saunders: I want some goddamned wide receivers! Now, not later! And 2 mil a year.

DS: Sold! Where do you want to go for lunch?

58-4ever
03-13-2006, 10:27 AM
they are almost out of draft picks. That means he won't have to find ways to fit them under the cap.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Snyder went to Denver to learn capology.

BTAU
03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
It's now official

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2366421

Safety Adam Archuleta kept getting calls from his former Rams defensive coordinator, Lovie Smith, who was trying to recruit him to come to the Chicago Bears and help out his defense.

But the Redskins flashed $10 million in guarantees and a contract worth close to $5 million a year, and those thoughts ended. Archuleta became the Redskins' fourth addition from over the weekend, joining receivers Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El and tight end Christian Fauria.

Archuleta flew to Washington on Saturday on Daniel Snyder's private plane and stayed for the weekend until the Redskins finished the deal.

jspchief
03-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Vinnie Cerrato was on NFL Network saying that those reports were not accurate. His quote was something along the line of "I'd like to tell Adam Schefter how wrong his reports were".

It just goes to show, these reporters are guessing just as much as us fans are. Contract details are not public info.

cdcox
03-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Four points:

1) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them get nailed for cap violations at some point.

2) Their approach hasn't translated into any level of consistent on field success.

3) The Redskins have a ton of FA. They'll probably have to fill most of these positions with very young players (low min salary) that no one else wants. Having 10 guys on your team that probably couldn't make any other roster on the league is going to make their depth aweful.

4) Big signing bonuses lead to large amounts of dead cap money. Sooner or later it will bite them.

Washington 2006 Free Agents

Player Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. 2005 Team 2006 Team Grade Comment
LaVar Arrington LB Released 6-3 255 6 Redskins Insiders Only
Khary Campbell LB UFA 6-3 232 4 Redskins Insiders Only
Rock Cartwright RB UFA 5-7 215 4 Redskins Insiders Only
Ryan Clark S UFA 5-11 205 4 Redskins Insiders Only
Chris Clemons LB RFA 6-3 240 2 Redskins Insiders Only
Derrick Dockery OG UFA 6-6 335 3 Redskins Insiders Only
Demetric Evans DE UFA 6-3 285 4 Redskins Insiders Only
Warrick Holdman LB UFA 6-1 243 7 Redskins Insiders Only
Ade Jimoh CB RFA 6-1 195 3 Redskins Insiders Only
Cedric Killings DT UFA 6-2 310 3 Redskins Insiders Only
Brian Kozlowski TE UFA 6-3 265 12 Redskins Insiders Only
Robert Royal TE UFA 6-4 260 3 Redskins Bills Insiders Only
Omar Stoutmire S UFA 5-11 205 9 Redskins Insiders Only
Melvin Williams DE RFA 6-2 270 3 Redskins Insiders Only

Wile_E_Coyote
03-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I would imagine Jerry Jones is on Snyder, like Al Davis on Shanahan

alanm
03-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Four points:

1) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them get nailed for cap violations at some point.

2) Their approach hasn't translated into any level of consistent on field success.

3) The Redskins have a ton of FA. They'll probably have to fill most of these positions with very young players (low min salary) that no one else wants. Having 10 guys on your team that probably couldn't make any other roster on the league is going to make their depth aweful.

4) Big signing bonuses lead to large amounts of dead cap money. Sooner or later it will bite them.

Washington 2006 Free Agents

Player Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. 2005 Team 2006 Team Grade Comment
LaVar Arrington LB Released 6-3 255 6 Redskins Insiders Only
Khary Campbell LB UFA 6-3 232 4 Redskins Insiders Only
Rock Cartwright RB UFA 5-7 215 4 Redskins Insiders Only
Ryan Clark S UFA 5-11 205 4 Redskins Insiders Only
Chris Clemons LB RFA 6-3 240 2 Redskins Insiders Only
Derrick Dockery OG UFA 6-6 335 3 Redskins Insiders Only
Demetric Evans DE UFA 6-3 285 4 Redskins Insiders Only
Warrick Holdman LB UFA 6-1 243 7 Redskins Insiders Only
Ade Jimoh CB RFA 6-1 195 3 Redskins Insiders Only
Cedric Killings DT UFA 6-2 310 3 Redskins Insiders Only
Brian Kozlowski TE UFA 6-3 265 12 Redskins Insiders Only
Robert Royal TE UFA 6-4 260 3 Redskins Bills Insiders Only
Omar Stoutmire S UFA 5-11 205 9 Redskins Insiders Only
Melvin Williams DE RFA 6-2 270 3 Redskins Insiders Only
How come it never does? :hmmm:

BigChiefFan
03-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Some will have you believe there isn't money to spend, but there is a way to circumvent the cap, if the owner is willing to give more upfront money in signing bonuses. Most players will take the guaranteed money, while taking a lower base salary to help circumvent the cap. The player gets the signing bonus upfront, but the signing bonus is spread out over the entire length of the contract helping ease the cap burden.

Stinger
03-13-2006, 11:11 AM

Their version of the Cap rules are written in Pencil and they have a big eraser.

Rausch
03-13-2006, 11:14 AM

Snyder is a ****ing used car salesman.

Eleazar
03-13-2006, 11:22 AM
This just goes to show you that all the speculation during and after the season about what teams are way over and way under the cap is a total crock of s###.

morphius
03-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Another thing is that you can almost never trust the numbers tossed out. I mean how long did it take us to figure out that Bells up front money last year was really two seperate bonuses throughout his contract? Player enjoying bragging about their money too much, and like to say I signed a 50 million dollard deal with 10 in signing bonuses, when in reality what they signed as a 3 year contract with 3 million up front and 1 million a year, at which point they will be cut before the next level of bonuses get paid.

Stupid and impossible to follow. Makes me almost wish for guarnteed contracts, almost.

DaWolf
03-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Guys, it's all based on how you structure a contract. You've got your guarunteed money, your incentives, and your base salaries. There's always a way to structure a deal so that the cap impact is not devastating and theres always a way to restructure a deal so that you can add more players. Snyder can hand out fat sounding contracts that some guys will never see the end of, and he can get rid of players like Arrington and save a big chunk of cash and then bring in new guys. And having the stadium and the market that he has, he has the cash to give these guys the extra bonuis money and guaruntees that other franchises don't have. It's an advantage to the Denvers and the Washingtons to have these new cash cow stadiums, and it's not an advantage we have.

That being said, until the Dan Snyder method ever wins anything, I'll say it's probably wiser to go the Pittsburgh Steeler method and try to make smart, sensible moves. Every year the Redskins and Raiders are making the big acquisitions and every year they fall flat on their faces. We've used a mix of both methods over the years, spending big and then staying quiet the next year. It would help if we drafted better of course...