PDA

View Full Version : Redskins continue to get players.

CoMoChief
03-13-2006, 10:30 AM
This time it's former Rams safety Adam Archuleta. He was a good run stopper but sucked balls in coverage. And OMG has anyone seen his workout video?!?! God damn the guys a freak in the weight room.

IIRC, werent the Redskins the worst in the NFL as far as cap situation goes? I know the CBA added another $10 million to the cap, but they were in pretty bad shape to being with, unless letting go of Lavar Arrington really created that much room. We have to get at least one guy on defense. Its making me sick to watch Washington go after all of these players after them being in cap hell.

jspchief
03-13-2006, 10:34 AM
The Redkins were worst in the league as far as cap situation...according to a bunch of reporters that don't know what the f*ck they are talking about.

Kclee
03-13-2006, 10:44 AM
It's a good thing a new CBA is in place otherwise teams like K.C. would never get any FA's and teams like Wash. would sign all the big time FA's. :)

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 10:45 AM
The Redkins were worst in the league as far as cap situation...according to a bunch of reporters that don't know what the f*ck they are talking about.

Has something to do with Snyder's enrollment in Denver's school of capology.

chefsos
03-13-2006, 10:45 AM
I decided to tune out all the cap "experts" when I discovered that they know about as much as I do. Which, of course, means they are morons.

Chiefnj
03-13-2006, 10:48 AM
For the last 6 offseasons just about every football analyst says "this is the year the cap catches up to the Redskins" and every year Snyder pulls himself out of an alleged cap hell and signs lots of free agents to what appears to be big deals on paper.

All of the free agent signings haven't necessarily turned out for the best or resulted in wins, but you've got to admire a GM that tries his all and puts his money up like that.

ct
03-13-2006, 12:20 PM
It's a good thing a new CBA is in place otherwise teams like K.C. would never get any FA's and teams like Wash. would sign all the big time FA's. :)

That's good stuff!

Cormac
03-13-2006, 12:41 PM
All of the free agent signings haven't necessarily turned out for the best or resulted in wins, but you've got to admire a GM that tries his all and puts his money up like that.

Exactly.

What has it got them. So far they are nothing but the poster child for overspending on underachieving FAs. Can't fault their effort, but I'm not jealous of their fans either.

RedThat
03-13-2006, 12:46 PM
For the last 6 offseasons just about every football analyst says "this is the year the cap catches up to the Redskins" and every year Snyder pulls himself out of an alleged cap hell and signs lots of free agents to what appears to be big deals on paper.

Yep. He definately tries to do what he can to win. No doubt about it. I definately have a lot of admiration and respect for his work ethics. Most analysts await for that "moment" to see if Snyder can mess up, and get himself in cap hell. That way they can create a storyline out of it, and pounce on the opportunity to bash him when things go wrong. A lot of analysts are like this. They're all critics. But to no avail, Snyder proves his doubters wrong every year. Good for him.

I have a lot of admiration and respect for the man. I'll bet he is an owner that would give up his "left nut", to get his team a SB trophy. I like him because he is ambitious, and very ethical. However, he has his share of problems. There are lot of times where he doesn't spend his money wisely. He gives away his draft picks like their nothing. I think he is very ambitious, ethical, and all that, but I think he lacks vision, I don't think he is wise enough to build a championship team.

Frankie
03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

Under the salary cap

Green Bay Packers $35 million
Minnesota Vikings $30.9 million
Arizona Cardinals $28.9 million
Cleveland Browns $27.1 million
Philadelphia Eagles $26.1 million
San Diego Chargers $24.6 million
Jacksonville Jaguars $23.4 million
Dallas Cowboys $22.6 million
St. Louis Rams $22.1 million
New Orleans Saints $20.2 million
San Francisco 49ers $20.2 million
Detroit Lions $17.7 million
Seattle Seahawks $17.3 million
New England Patriots $16.9 million
Cincinnati Bengals $16.6 million
Chicago Bears $14.9 million
Buffalo Bills $14.1 million
New York Jets $14 million
Houston Texans $12.7 million
Atlanta Falcons $12.2 million
Denver Broncos $10.9 million
Baltimore Ravens $10.6 million
Carolina Panthers $10.4 million
New York Giants $9.9 million
Kansas City Chiefs $7.3 million
Miami Dolphins $6.3 million
Tennessee Titans $6.2 million
Pittsburgh Steelers $6.1 million
Tampa Bay Buccaneers $5.1 million
Oakland Raiders $653,000

Over the salary cap

Indianapolis Colts $5.9 million
Washington Redskins $4.9 million

tk13
03-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Supposedly they gave him a $10 million signing bonus. That is insane. You can just as soon draft a good safety or two. What a waste of money. If that's what "wanting to win" is, count me out...

Brock
03-13-2006, 01:36 PM
[Over the salary cap

Indianapolis Colts $5.9 million
Washington Redskins $4.9 million

I guess that pretty much proves that the media really doesn't know anything about the salary cap.

Mecca
03-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Supposedly they gave him a $10 million signing bonus. That is insane. You can just as soon draft a good safety or two. What a waste of money. If that's what "wanting to win" is, count me out...

They give larger bonuses because it's a way of circumventing the cap....

tk13
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
They give larger bonuses because it's a way of circumventing the cap....
What? I know how it works. Doesn't mean he's not overpaid.

Iowanian
03-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Say what you want about Snyder, but every Chiefs fan that hates CP should love him.

He may or may not be a brilliant football owner, may or may not be too involved with his team's onfield activities.....but noone can say he isn't TRYING to win, and is willing to put his money where his mouth is on that subject.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-13-2006, 04:10 PM
archuleta and sean taylor not a bad safety combo for them

Jesus777
03-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Dan Snyder backloads contracts like hell, more than any other owner in the league.

Randel El may have signed on for 6 years-31 million, but in reality he will probably make around 2.5 million this year and 3-4 million the next. Then his salary will jump up, but he'll never see that money because he will be forced to renegotiate or be cut. The players who sign these deals know this, but they sign on because they are being offered monster bonuses. It's the same case with Archuleta and any other player they sign as well.

Snyder can just accelerate/prorate the bonuses throughout five years and he won't have any problems.

Garcia Bronco
03-13-2006, 04:22 PM
They just got Andre Carter as well

BIG K
03-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Say what you want about Snyder, but every Chiefs fan that hates CP should love him.

He may or may not be a brilliant football owner, may or may not be too involved with his team's onfield activities.....but noone can say he isn't TRYING to win, and is willing to put his money where his mouth is on that subject.

Well put.

Garcia Bronco
03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Well put.

The chiefs aren't even in the same league as Snyder when it comes to revenue. The Stadium alone seats about 30 grand more than arrowhead for starters.

tk13
03-13-2006, 04:30 PM
The chiefs aren't even in the same league as Snyder when it comes to revenue. The Stadium alone seats about 30 grand more than arrowhead for starters.
Eh, I think it's about 15,000 more seats. But that's not where he kills us, it's luxury boxes. They have well over 200. Arrowhead has like 80... and not nearly at the outrageous prices Snyder charges. According to last Forbes breakdown from 2 years ago, Snyder brought in like $100 million more than the Chiefs in pure revenue... and I'm sure that number will widen as Snyder continues to tinker and the Chiefs sit there with the same facilities.

Garcia Bronco
03-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Eh, I think it's about 15,000 more seats. But that's not where he kills us, it's luxury boxes. They have well over 200. Arrowhead has like 80... and not nearly at the outrageous prices Snyder charges. According to last Forbes breakdown from 2 years ago, Snyder brought in like $100 million more than the Chiefs in pure revenue... and I'm sure that number will widen as Snyder continues to tinker and the Chiefs sit there with the same facilities.
Arrowhead seats about 70 grand? Redskins seat 101 grand

cdcox
03-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Arrowhead seats about 70 grand? Redskins seat 101 grand

Garcia Bronco
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM

So the difference is about 20...even at 15...that's subsantial...we'll they just got Andre Carter to.

They're getting the best guys fo sure.

keg in kc
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM

He may or may not be a brilliant football owner, may or may not be too involved with his team's onfield activities.....but noone can say he isn't TRYING to win, and is willing to put his money where his mouth is on that subject.Why should anybody love him, exactly? He's gotten Washington exactly as much as Peterson has gotten KC. Bubcus. Failure is failure; I don't particularly care how much he's "tried" or how much money he's spent. Hell, for that matter he's a magnitude worse than Peterson, because he's spending the kind of money that we've never gotten Lamar to shovel out and still can't put a winner on the field.

cdcox
03-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Dan Snyder backloads contracts like hell, more than any other owner in the league.

Randel El may have signed on for 6 years-31 million, but in reality he will probably make around 2.5 million this year and 3-4 million the next. Then his salary will jump up, but he'll never see that money because he will be forced to renegotiate or be cut. The players who sign these deals know this, but they sign on because they are being offered monster bonuses. It's the same case with Archuleta and any other player they sign as well.

Snyder can just accelerate/prorate the bonuses throughout five years and he won't have any problems.

This partially explains things, but not completely. If you cut someone after 2-3 years, the balance of the signing bonus comes due immediately. They might balance it by not keeping their own draft choices around after their initial contracts come up. I'd love to look at their books.

MOhillbilly
03-13-2006, 04:46 PM
works for me.

TEX
03-13-2006, 04:55 PM
This time it's former Rams safety Adam Archuleta. He was a good run stopper but sucked balls in coverage. And OMG has anyone seen his workout video?!?! God damn the guys a freak in the weight room.

IIRC, werent the Redskins the worst in the NFL as far as cap situation goes? I know the CBA added another $10 million to the cap, but they were in pretty bad shape to being with, unless letting go of Lavar Arrington really created that much room. We have to get at least one guy on defense. Its making me sick to watch Washington go after all of these players after them being in cap hell.

It just shows that a team CAN sign ANYONE they want EVERY year if they're willing to shell out the signing bonus. Using the salary cap as an excuse is all BS.

TEX
03-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Why should anybody love him, exactly? He's gotten Washington exactly as much as Peterson has gotten KC. Bubcus. Failure is failure; I don't particularly care how much he's "tried" or how much money he's spent. Hell, for that matter he's a magnitude worse than Peterson, because he's spending the kind of money that we've never gotten Lamar to shovel out and still can't put a winner on the field.

Sure, but in less than half the time. Lets see how many Super Bowls or playoff games he wins after about 18 years. :hmmm:

ct
03-13-2006, 04:59 PM
speaking of cap space ...

Cardinals | $67M available for 2007 cap
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:42:58 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Arizona Cardinals have $67 million in cap space for 2007.

ROFL

It's gonna be Edge and Warner vs the world!!

tk13
03-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Sure, but in less than half the time. Lets see how many Super Bowls or playoff games he wins after about 18 years. :hmmm:
Do you see New England or Pittsburgh out here forking over big money for everybody? The idea that free agents = desire to win is one of the most tiresome rants on this board.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-13-2006, 05:05 PM
the contract is backloaded with money the player never sees & the agent looks good for signing his player to a monster deal

Ralphy Boy
03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I'll give Dan Snyder this, he is willing to spend money to buy himself a championship. Lamar was once a lot like him, but in time he matured and after winning a championship he started running it like a business. I admire that Mr. Snyder is willing to pay for the best coaching staff and players he can get, I wish Lamar would do the same. I cannot fault him for spending the money he has because it is his money to spend and he wants to win NOW. Sure he might be immature in doing so but he gives the fans and team every opportunity to field a winning, championship caliber team.

Frankie
03-13-2006, 08:43 PM
archuleta and sean taylor not a bad safety combo for them
Sean must be a hell of an athelete to be able to defend a pass from behind bars.

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Lamar was once a lot like him, but in time he matured and after winning a championship he started running it like a business.
when was Lamar like him?

before he won his super bowl the game was completely different, the players were paid like it was a part time job.

There wasn't even free agency in the nfl until 1989.

Hunt has never spent HIS money on football ... not much of it anyway.

Hunt spends the money of the fans of the kansas city chiefs on footbal .... minus around 20-30 million per year he keeps for a rainy day of course.

keg in kc
03-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Do you see New England or Pittsburgh out here forking over big money for everybody? The idea that free agents = desire to win is one of the most tiresome rants on this board.Isn't it, though.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Teams that win are the ones that draft well and spend their free agent money wisely, rather than freely. If you want to bitch at Carl, feel free to bring out charts about draft picks from, say, '95 to the present. But this BS comparing him to an owner because the guy spends more is one of the more ludicrous things I've seen. If we're going to take that tack, toss blame where it's due: at St. Lamar, he who can do no wrong because he's old, frail and helped form the league. Because Carl only controls the cap. It's Lamar that controls the cash. There's enough to bitch about with Carl without bitching about shit that he's not even controlling. None of which changes the fact that the deadskins are losers no matter how much Snyder spends.

tk13
03-13-2006, 09:01 PM
when was Lamar like him?

before he won his super bowl the game was completely different, the players were paid like it was a part time job.

There wasn't even free agency in the nfl until 1989.

Hunt has never spent HIS money on football ... not much of it anyway.

Hunt spends the money of the fans of the kansas city chiefs on footbal .... minus around 20-30 million per year he keeps for a rainy day of course.
How is that different than any other owner? It's not like Snyder is spending his money, it is the money of Redskins fans. He spends the most money and still turns 50-70 million in profit to lead the NFL. People sit here and act like he "wants to win" more, but he just operates at a completely different financial level than the Chiefs and brings in more money than Lamar could ever dream of making in KC.

The only owner that has gone into his own money was Jim Irsay to pay for Peyton Manning, and the other owners thought he was nuts. The NFL model is so successful that every team can spend money to be competitive and still turn a profit... there are a lot of teams that turn a bigger profit than Lamar.

kcxiv
03-13-2006, 09:07 PM
lol, Chiefs are exactly that, out! Have been for 35 years.

kcxiv
03-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Isn't it, though.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Teams that win are the ones that draft well and spend their free agent money wisely, rather than freely. If you want to bitch at Carl, feel free to bring out charts about draft picks from, say, '95 to the present. But this BS comparing him to an owner because the guy spends more is one of the more ludicrous things I've seen. If we're going to take that tack, toss blame where it's due: at St. Lamar, he who can do no wrong because he's old, frail and helped form the league. Because Carl only controls the cap. It's Lamar that controls the cash. There's enough to bitch about with Carl without bitching about shit that he's not even controlling. None of which changes the fact that the deadskins are losers no matter how much Snyder spends.yet, they won a play off game last year. We are not going on 11 years.

tk13
03-13-2006, 09:13 PM
lol, Chiefs are exactly that, out! Have been for 35 years.
You got me. We blew it, Adam Archuleta was the missing piece to our Super Bowl puzzle. Another high priced guy we can put in the back 7 to be annihilated when the front four doesn't get any pass rush.

keg in kc
03-13-2006, 09:14 PM
yet, they won a play off game last year. We are not going on 11 years.Whoopty shit. The NFC is a joke. Hell, the f*cking seahawks went to the superbowl for crissakes.

*ducks away from Joe Seahawk *

kcxiv
03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Whoopty shit. The NFC is a joke. Hell, the f*cking seahawks went to the superbowl for crissakes.

*ducks away from Joe Seahawk * To me it doesnt matter what side. Win in the play offs is a win in the play offs. Back in the early 90's the AFC was a joke to the NFC back then. Still Chiefs going on 11 years no play off win, and 35 with no SB.

keg in kc
03-13-2006, 09:23 PM
To me it doesnt matter what side. Win in the play offs is a win in the play offs. Back in the early 90's the AFC was a joke to the NFC back then. Still Chiefs going on 11 years no play off win, and 35 with no SB.Which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said.

How you got from my comments about how stupid it is to compare an owner to a GM to your comments about the Redskins winning a playoff game doesn't tell me anything other than maybe you didn't read my post and you want to rant.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Sean must be a hell of an athelete to be able to defend a pass from behind bars.

a millionaire pro athlete serve jail time...ya right ROFL

BTAU
03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
This might help explain the cap room:

Redskins | Team working to free up cap space
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:50:52 -0800

The Washington Post reports the Washington Redskins have begun converting about $13.5 million in total roster bonuses due to players in 2006 into signing bonuses, which will clear about $10 million in total cap space.

Portis&Taylor
03-14-2006, 07:22 AM

nope we were number five in over the cap you guys were three and oakland was number 1

KCTitus
03-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Being in 'Skins' country...I get the other perspective. You know the genious (chiefsplanet spelling) perspective. I know you're probably asking yourself, 'Self? How could any self respecting genious not like what Snyder is doing with that team?'. Well, Im sorry to say, it IS possible that there are people that think Snyder is wasting money on marginal talent.

Anyway, the consensus on the talk radio here is that 'this' is the build up for a SB run before Gibbs returns to racin' and that Snyder is overpaying for the people that he's picking up.

They just dont get it, do they?

MOhillbilly
03-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, Im sorry to say, it IS possible that there are people that think Snyder is wasting money on marginal talent.

:hmmm:

HMc
03-14-2006, 08:16 AM
It's tangental, but since when does Fedex Field seat 101 thousand people?

according to the wiki page, and stadiumsofthenfl.com, it's 91,665.

Amnorix
03-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Without bothering to go through this entire thread, I'll note that the Patriots are sitting back and waiting for the insanity to stop before jumping into the pool.

This happens year after year. Patriots message boards do the same thing. One important Patriots site has a thread entitled "Have the Patriots Thrown in the Towel?" It's ridiculous and absurd.

The 'skins throw big $$$$ around every time. Big splash. And at the end of the year --- same result, every damn time.

Radar Chief
03-14-2006, 09:04 AM
The 'skins throw big $$$$ around every time. Big splash. And at the end of the year --- same result, every damn time.

Yup.

Frankie
03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Without bothering to go through this entire thread, I'll note that the Patriots are sitting back and waiting for the insanity to stop before jumping into the pool.

This happens year after year. Patriots message boards do the same thing. One important Patriots site has a thread entitled "Have the Patriots Thrown in the Towel?" It's ridiculous and absurd.

I agree with you. This is like Macy's openeing the door to the waiting crowd of shoppers early in the morning of a big sale. They stampede in and overpay for good merchandise as well as junk. A few hours later one can walk in and make sensible purchases. That said, however, a team like the Pats has made it to the top and is now in a perpetual maintenance mode. That means they are mostly interested in cheap back ups with upside. A team like the Chiefs cannot afford that luxury. There are a few holes that need to be filled with starter types. While I agree with the strategy of waiting for the frenzy to pass, I don't think we can wait too long.