PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park' over its 'disrespect' for religious beliefs

jAZ
03-13-2006, 04:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060313/ap_en_tv/people_isaac_hayes

Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park' By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer
31 minutes ago

Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

JBucc
03-13-2006, 04:41 PM
So is he a scientologyist? Anyways there's plenty of black guys with deep voices out there.

sedated
03-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Matt and Trey are dissin' Isaac pretty bad.

I wonder if it was an ugly breakup...

SLAG
03-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Damn Nukka

banyon
03-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Scientology has broken up Beck's band a few times too.

It must really f*** with your head.

"and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians"

:clap: good response

SLAG
03-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Scientology has broken up Beck's band a few times too.

It must really f*** with your head.

that South Park Episode is 100% true it Representing Scientology

KcMizzou
03-13-2006, 04:47 PM
"and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians"

:clap: good responseAbsolutely. What a hypocrite.

Gonzo
03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Dum dum dum dum dummmmmmm.

What about making fun of the mormons. (Double standard) Issac did a few lines in some of those episodes.
Oh well... South Park is starting to lose it's edge anyway. Family Guy kicks it's ass.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Yep. They've made fun of Christians, Mormons, Jews...he didn't seem to care about that.

Baby Lee
03-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey Isaac, suck on my choc-lit salty boaws. Just stick 'em in your mouth and suck 'em.

SLAG
03-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Yep. They've made fun of Christians, Mormons, Jews...he didn't seem to care about that.

as a gooback Im offended that Mr hayes was not Offended about Our Episode

-George Bush

Katipan
03-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Perverted man with a funny hat talking about sex with little boys.

He's Catholic.

Gonzo
03-13-2006, 04:54 PM
That offends him but this dosen't????

"Who wants to pound my hot vage?"--Mrs. Garrison

Hammock Parties
03-13-2006, 04:55 PM
This is horrible on multiple levels. Chef is one of the most recognizable characters on the show.

I hope they kill him off.

SLAG
03-13-2006, 04:56 PM
This is horrible on multiple levels. Chef is one of the most recognizable characters on the show.

They should show him getting sucked up mr slaves ass

jAZ
03-13-2006, 05:07 PM

Of course they will... It's not like they can't just bring him back if he gets his head straight.

Hootie
03-13-2006, 05:12 PM

What about making fun of the mormons. (Double standard) Issac did a few lines in some of those episodes.
Oh well... South Park is starting to lose it's edge anyway. Family Guy kicks it's ass.
Wow, you couldn't be MORE wrong.

The first three seasons of Family Guy totally OWNED the South Park episodes at that time. It wasn't close. I'll totally agree.

HOWEVER, the new Family Guy episodes were unorignal and for the most part, not very funny. South Park is totally different than it was even three years ago now, and personally, I think it, once again, kicks Family Guy's ass.

Until Seth McFarlane (sp?) can get Family Guy back to how it was seasons 1,2 and 3, I am willing to bet Trey and Matt continue to dominate the show in every respect, like it has for the last two years.

Hootie
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM

and Chef really isn't a big part of the show anymore, like he was in the first 4 or 5 seasons.

South Park can do without him, that's for sure.

No huge loss here.

Mr. Garrison has really turned into the go-to-character that Chef used to be.

RealSNR
03-13-2006, 05:14 PM
I still refuse to believe that scientology is a religion. It's not, and I don't give a shit what it "officially" is

HC_Chief
03-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey Isaac, suck on my choc-lit salty boaws. Just stick 'em in your mouth and suck 'em.

...and suck 'em and suck em and suck 'em! :D

Chef won't be gone... they'll just find another voice actor, like they did for the mayor and Cartman's ho of a mother ;)

StcChief
03-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Chef Get over it. Issac, we won't miss you.
I guess that might be an illegal interview question for the next guy/girl to be Chef

Taco John
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM

Not even.

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Most people don't know this, but that's exactly why the Olsen twins quit Full House.

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Family Guy would be much funnier if they would kill off the dad. Brian and Stewie make for great comedy, but they go too far with the dad to the point where it's just stupid.

Eleazar
03-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Family Guy is still funny, but South Park is much less funny than it used to be.

Hootie
03-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Family Guy is still funny, but South Park is much less funny than it used to be.
Wow.

South Park is so much funnier now than it ever was.

I'm not big into religion, and I laugh at racism, so maybe that's my problem. I'm not easy to offend.

Adept Havelock
Get over yourself, Isaac.

You were just a voice over on a cartoon.

KcMizzou
Family Guy would be much funnier if they would kill off the dad. Brian and Stewie make for great comedy, but they go too far with the dad to the point where it's just stupid.Everybody loves Stewie. Brian's vastly under rated.

Sure-Oz
03-13-2006, 06:21 PM
that episode was hilarious and thats bs that he cant take that shit, wtf is scientology

Spicy McHaggis
03-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Wow, you couldn't be MORE wrong.

The first three seasons of Family Guy totally OWNED the South Park episodes at that time. It wasn't close. I'll totally agree.

HOWEVER, the new Family Guy episodes were unorignal and for the most part, not very funny. South Park is totally different than it was even three years ago now, and personally, I think it, once again, kicks Family Guy's ass.

Until Seth McFarlane (sp?) can get Family Guy back to how it was seasons 1,2 and 3, I am willing to bet Trey and Matt continue to dominate the show in every respect, like it has for the last two years.

I'll agree with your remarks in some aspects.

South Park went from being a show about fart jokes etc. to a show that basically is a social criticism while still remaining funny. Family Guy was a show that went it's own way at first but now is just one pop-culture reference after another. And if I wanted that I'd watch VH1.

Eleazar
03-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Wow.

South Park is so much funnier now than it ever was.

I'm not big into religion, and I laugh at racism, so maybe that's my problem. I'm not easy to offend.

I'm not offended, it just doesn't make me laugh that much.

Offensive just to be offensive isn't humor it's just... meh.

Reaper16
03-13-2006, 06:47 PM
South Park is getting better, not worse. It's getting smarter and contains less shock humor. It's very apparant when matched up with Drawn Together, which is offensive for the sole purpose of being offensive.

Family Guy's humor mostly comes from unexpected events, absurdity, and pop culture reference. South Park is biting and satrical - an improvement from what started out as something much dumber.

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 06:47 PM
[ "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."
the way it usually works ... everyone thinks their religion is The ONE

trash eveyone else's religion but don't mess with mine.

:shrug:

seclark
03-13-2006, 06:53 PM

trashing my religion doesn't pi$$ me off as much as when someone forgets to bring a towel.
sec

Katipan
03-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Offensive just to be offensive isn't humor it's just...

a way of life

melbar
03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
as a gooback Im offended that Mr hayes was not Offended about Our Episode

-George Bush
Umm ...what..?

Thig Lyfe
03-13-2006, 07:12 PM
That's unfortunate. However, that specific episode was 100% accurate on what scientology is, so it can't be attributed to ignorance or bigotry. It's just Hayes getting his big alien-loving panties in a bunch.

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm thinking about inventing my own religion. Anyone interested in joining?

melbar
03-13-2006, 07:23 PM

I always thought that was the point on South Park - equally offend. Wether it is Race , Sexual preference, Religion, you name it , the ability to laugh at each others differences lightens the tension a bit
That being said Scientology is a bit about controll of its members...

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I always thought that was the point on South Park - equally offend. Wether it is Race , Sexual preference, Religion, you name it , the ability to laugh at each others differences lightens the tension a bit
That being said Scientology is a bit about controll of its members...
i'm not a big fan of south park myself ... but that's the way i see them too.

offend everyone

seems to me the most religions try and control their members is one way or another.

Katipan
03-13-2006, 07:29 PM

Will the women be encouraged to keep harems full of men?

Phobia
Are we really counting Scientology as a religion?

seclark
you give away comic books, or anything?
sec

Hootie
03-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I hope not.

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 07:32 PM

what's the evaluation process for what is or isn't a religion?

Brock
03-13-2006, 07:51 PM
what's evaluation process for what is or isn't a religion?

Whether or not cash contributions are required is probably a good place to start.

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Whether or not cash contributions are required is probably a good place to start.
pass the collection plate much?

tithe 10% of your yearly salary lately?

every religion, i have ever heard of, hits it's members up for money at every opportunity.

religious t.v. is based on it

Katipan
03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Druids didn't want money.

I hope they make a comeback.

Adept Havelock
03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
ROFL

Laz..perhaps you missed the word "Required" in Brocks post.

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 08:17 PM
you give away comic books, or anything?
sec

If you enter the chocolate chip and ice cream gates of Pigskinia, you will receive all the comic books you want. But you must be pious and humble, and you must financially support the church. Please make all checks to Rain Man.

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Will the women be encouraged to keep harems full of men?

If you enter the chocolate chip and ice cream gates of Pigskinia, you will be in an environment of men who are handsome and like to give massages and other physicial services. But you must be pious and humble, and you must financially support the church. Please make all checks to Rain Man.

Phobia
03-13-2006, 08:20 PM
what's the evaluation process for what is or isn't a religion?

I think worship of some spiritual deity is first and foremost for most of them. Scientology worships Hubbard. I dunno.... they had to fight the IRS for years to be recognized. They scare me. I hope they're not reading this.

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 08:22 PM
ROFL

Laz..perhaps you missed the word "Required" in Brocks post.

hehe ... naw, i saw it

required schmequired ... they all start grabbing cash as much as they can.

while riding in Benny Hinn's white and gold Cadillac i often wondered how many old ladies donated their social security checks to pay for it.

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 08:23 PM
They scare me. I hope they're not reading this.
ROFL ROFL

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Silly Chef. Xenu doesn't give a ****.

DJay23
03-13-2006, 08:37 PM
My favorite all time South Park is on right now.

"Scott Tenerman Must Die"

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2006, 08:55 PM
My favorite all time South Park is on right now.

"Scott Tenerman Must Die""Oh, Scott, your tears taste so good!"

Adept Havelock
03-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Silly Chef. Xenu doesn't give a ****.

Of course not. Xenu is far too busy getting rid of excess galactic population by strapping them into volcanos and setting off H-Bombs to kill them.

Thereby creating trillions of negative Engrams, and causing all of the problems that afflcit humanity..or some such similar nonsense.

unlurking
03-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Only if you're giving away lottery tickets for a new house!

DJay23
03-13-2006, 09:27 PM
"Oh, Scott, your tears taste so good!"
Aaah, the sweet tears of unfathomable sadness

Na na na na na na, made you eat your parents!

RealSNR
03-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Rain Man, your religion needs an identity. May I suggest one?

http://thejamootz.com/blog/archives/wakeupwiththeking.JPG

Wake up with The Church of The King!

dtebbe
03-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Chocolate Salty Balls was the best south park tune ever.

"Put em in your mouth!"

Listen Here (http://stopwatches.com/pix/salty.mp3)

DT

keg in kc
03-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I wonder what kind of comedic gold they'll come up with in response to this.

KcMizzou
03-13-2006, 09:45 PM
I wonder what kind of comedic gold they'll come up with in response to this.I expect Chef to die a violent death of some sort.

dtebbe
03-13-2006, 09:46 PM
I wonder what kind of comedic gold they'll come up with in response to this.

If I was them I would make Chef a deaf mute. Now that would be funny! Have him mumble and put subtitles on the screen.

Better yet, have some ex lover kill him off and replace him with chris rock, aka skinny chef.

DT

KcMizzou
03-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Whatever they do, you can bet they'll be blasting away at scientology more than ever.

KcMizzou
03-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Better yet, have some ex lover kill him off and replace him with chris rock, aka skinny chef.

DTStolen from Fark.. Samuel Jackson.

"Hey Chef, what's for lunch today?"

"Salisbury steak, and there's not a GOT DAMN thing you can do about it!"

keg in kc
03-13-2006, 09:50 PM
They should have him become white as a result of some freak accident and have larry the cable guy voice him, doing his best michael jackson impression. Hey kids, come eat my chocolate salty balls.

Brock
03-13-2006, 09:52 PM
pass the collection plate much?

tithe 10% of your yearly salary lately?

every religion, i have ever heard of, hits it's members up for money at every opportunity.

religious t.v. is based on it

You're obviously biased to the point of ignorance.

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 10:10 PM
You're obviously biased to the point of ignorance.
speaking of bias...

Iowanian
03-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Oh No Chil'ren...the Scientologist is a hypocrite.

I hope a new southpark episode cuts his balls off.

irishjayhawk
03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Speaking of Church's money, where does the pope's iPod Nano fit in?

03-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Never bothers ya until it touches your own religion. Gee, what is that word they keep thowing at us.... "tolerance". ROFL

Ebolapox
03-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Druids didn't want money.

I hope they make a comeback.

actually, there is a 'druid' comeback in scotland... look it up some time

-EB-

SLAG
03-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Umm ...what..?

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/806/806_image_12.jpg

Baby Lee
03-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Stolen from Fark.. Samuel Jackson.

"Hey Chef, what's for lunch today?"

"Salisbury steak, and there's not a GOT DAMN thing you can do about it!"
ROFL ROFL - I hear Chef do make a tasty burger.

melbar
03-14-2006, 08:40 AM
You know they'll make Chef into the same kind of hipocrite and drive that point home.

with a sledgehammer...

Sully
03-14-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree with most of the sentiments here. It's rdiculous for him to cash the checks making fun of other folks' religions, then bail (publicly) when his was next in line. But as someone said, it's the nature of the beast. Your religion is the "right" one, and the others don't matter, in most cases.

Katipan
03-14-2006, 08:46 AM
In most cases...

Your posts are stupid this morning.

Sully
03-14-2006, 08:48 AM
In most cases...

Your posts are stupid this morning.
Haven't had my morning poo yet.

oaklandhater
10-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Most people don't know this, but that's exactly why the Olsen twins quit Full House.

Hey what do you know I was checking up on google one of the olsen twins is in to Scientology.

DMAC
10-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey what do you know I was checking up on google one of the olsen twins is in to Scientology.perv