PDA

View Full Version : The trash talking has already started, Jayhawk fans

Pages : [1] 2

Lzen
03-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Peoria Journal Star (http://www.pjstar.com/stories/031406/PHI_B98496NS.054.shtml)

Are the Jayhawks molting?

Phil Luciano
NEWS COLUMNIST

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What the heck is a Jayhawk?

I investigated this silly nickname in my quest to present here a comprehensive analysis of Bradley's upcoming game against the University of Kansas.

Mind you, I won't trifle with breakdowns of athletes or game strategy. That's not necessary, as Bradley will surely win.

How do I know this? Bradley always beats Kansas.

Granted, they've played only once, way back in 1950. But that game was also in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Bradley not only won but went on to the championship.

That's what you call a half-century's worth of momentum. BU's on a roll, baby!

With that all settled, let's get back to this Jayhawk nonsense.

The term arose from settlers from Illinois (ironical, ain't it?). Its origin isn't clear, but "jayhawk" came to refer to ruffians with the habit of robbing, looting, and general lawlessness.

Charming, eh? The perfect team logo would feature a whiskey-sodden cattle-rustler swinging from a noose. Then again, such imagery might not engender much in the way of alumni donations.

Instead, the school mascot is a goofy-grinned, color-streaked bird - one that could star in an animated movie, "Heckle and Jeckle Visit Brokeback Mountain."

The school's Web page says the jayhawk is a fearsome combo of two birds: "The blue jay, a noisy, quarrelsome thing known to rob other nests, and the sparrow hawk, a stealthy hunter. The message here: Don't turn your back on this bird."

Scared to death, I checked out these species a little further. The blue jay, indeed, is known for attacking other birds' nests - to nibble eggs. Possible slogan: "Look out for us Jayhawks - we suck eggs!"

Then again, a Cornell University study showed that just 1 percent of blue jays eat eggs. Instead, they eat bugs. Wow. They can outmuscle a cricket.

As for sparrow hawks, they live in less than majestic perches: the tops of telephone poles. As for being "stealthy hunters," they boast the uncanny ability to outwit and snatch the likes of worms. As birds of prey, they're bug-eaters.

If you watch the game Friday, you'll hear the Jayhawk fight song, known as the Rock Chalk chant. I won't bore you with the history of this droning babble, which essentially pays homage to the most exciting thing on campus: a big chunk of limestone (hey, it's Kansas).

The school calls the tune "world famous," but I don't get it. The song sounds like monks either chanting in prayer or moaning from torture. If I had a hound dog that wailed so miserably, I'd shoot it.

Still, KU alumni are rabid about the school, especially its environs of Lawrence, Kan. I took a peek at Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, to get a glimpse at the town's heritage.

Apparently, Lawrence's most famous son is Hugh Beaumont, aka Ward Cleaver from "Leave It to Beaver." Impressive, eh?

How much did Hugh Beaumont love Lawrence? As soon as he got out of high school, he blew right out of town and went to a far more cosmopolitan hamlet: Chattanooga, Tenn.

He couldn't be persuaded to go to KU, even with its mystique of the Jayhawk. That's what happens when your school mascot is an egg-sucking bug-eater that sings like a dying monk.

That's pathetic. In a fight with Bradley's mascot, the Jayhawk would get creamed.

(Note to KU: Bradley has no mascot. That's the point).

PHIL LUCIANO is a columnist with the Journal Star. He can be reached at pluciano@pjstar.com, 686-3155 or (800) 225-5757, Ext. 3155.

SLAG
03-14-2006, 09:58 AM
What a Douche

journeyscarab
Wow... when I read Hugh Beaumont... I heard it in the announcer's voice.
Don't be hard too on The Beaver.

Braincase
Time to shut 'em up.

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 09:59 AM
What a Douche

Bag.

This guy was really hard up for something to write about.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Missouri Valley Conference. :shake:

Little mans syndrome.

Bob Dole
03-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Bradley should just adopt the Bushwhacker as their mascot.

SLAG
03-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Bradley should just adopt the Bushwhacker as their mascot.

Why not the Snipe

Baby Lee
03-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Instead, the school mascot is a goofy-grinned, color-streaked bird - one that could star in an animated movie, "Heckle and Jeckle Visit Brokeback Mountain."
Peoria, where 'your mascot's so ghey!' is still an insult.

Peoria, where 'brokeback mountain' is the never-fail punchline, kind of like Dorian's 'so's your face' on scrubs.

StcChief
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Bradley
the rich man's school in MVC. F'em.

KU bury them...

sedated
03-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I thought their mascot was the braves?

(very original, btw)

this f@g wouldn't be knocking tradition if bradley had any at all.

teedubya
03-14-2006, 10:31 AM
i was mildly amused.

Eleazar
03-14-2006, 10:34 AM
:rolleyes: If this is supposed to be trash talk to get KU fans' blood boiling, it's pretty pathetic. Reminds me of JoPo's column every year about why the Royals are going to win the pennant.

It will be funny watching this thread turn indignant though...

"Heckle and Jeckle Visit Brokeback Mountain."

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Dartgod
03-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Gosh, you Jayhawks are a sensitive bunch. I thought it was pretty funny.

beer bacon
03-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Informative.

KC Jones
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Put yourself in his shoes - the only positive they have is a mascot comparison.

ROYC75
03-14-2006, 10:38 AM
WOW, He makes it sound as Bradley will be the 2006 NCAA Champions ........ Why should KU even play this game ?

What a dumbf*ck.......... Really. Just play the game, if you win, so be it. But I like our chances.

But I would bet that come Sat. AM, his column will look alot different.

We can send him a nice little note...... Thanks for the motivation . :D

PHIL LUCIANO is a columnist with the Journal Star. He can be reached at pluciano@pjstar.com, 686-3155 or (800) 225-5757, Ext. 3155.

ROFL

jspchief
03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Gosh, you Jayhawks are a sensitive bunch. I thought it was pretty funny.That's kind of what I thought.

The only thing more pathetic than that columnists failed attempt at humor is the number of Jayhwawk fans that are actually on the defensive about it.

ROYC75
03-14-2006, 10:40 AM

I laughed, he is only trying to rally his troops and fans that they can do a Bucknell on us.

I bet this is a 20 point game. KU win.

sedated
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Napoleonic complex
noun
Definition: the condition of being small in stature but aggressively ambitious and seeking absolute control

Victims of this insanity feel the compulsion to prove their self-worth through fighting. Typically, victims of Napoleonic complex will pick fights with people of larger stature. The trigger for this illness is whenever tall, muscular people taunt the victim.

Bob Dole
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Why not the Snipe

Bob Dole wasn't aware that the Jayhawkers ever battled against the Snipe.

Interesting...

HemiEd
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM

I am a Jayhawk fan and thought it was very funny as well. I especially like the Heckal and Jeckal reference, my favorite cartoon characters as a kid. ROFL

Eleazar
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
"How dare a media outlet not worship us outright! Where is our mandatory fellation? This is an outrage!"

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 11:14 AM
So... he scraped the bottom of the barrel to come up with the idea of writing about his team's opponent in the first round of the NCAA tournament?

I guess it's too bad there wasn't something more exciting going on like a women's golf tournament or something.

umm...writing about how someones mascot is two different types of birds instead of just talking about what he thinks the game will turn out to be is a waste of keyboard useage.

Dartgod
03-14-2006, 11:14 AM
WOW, He makes it sound as Bradley will be the 2006 NCAA Champions ........ Why should KU even play this game ?

What a dumbf*ck.......... Really. Just play the game, if you win, so be it. But I like our chances.

But I would bet that come Sat. AM, his column will look alot different.

We can send him a nice little note...... Thanks for the motivation . :D

ROFLumm...writing about how someones mascot is two different types of birds instead of just talking about what he thinks the game will turn out to be is a waste of keyboard useage.Here's a quarter...

Edit: Make that two quarters.

Mr. Laz
03-14-2006, 11:21 AM
just silly, BS type smack ... nothing worth getting upset about

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 11:25 AM
just silly, BS type smack ... nothing worth getting upset about

I'm not upset about it I would rather just read something interesting about what Bradley will be bringing against KU.

StcChief
03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Send the Quarters to the Journal Star guy...

So he can Buy a clue. .....

They are gonna get stomped.

SLAG
03-14-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm not upset about it I would rather just read something interesting about what Bradley will be bringing against KU.

See thats the Thing..

They aint bringing Nothin

So they have to talk trash a more Pathetic way.

Was Funny to see that they rely on the 1950 game as an Hint as to how we are going to play

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
See thats the Thing..

They aint bringing Nothin

So they have to talk trash a more Pathetic way.

Was Funny to see that they rely on the 1950 game as an Hint as to how we are going to play

Maybe in the 1950 game KU players had ancestors(sp) playing against Bradley.

Brock
03-14-2006, 11:37 AM
This reads like that "The sports team from my area will defeat the sports team from your area" article that appeared in the Onion 10 years ago.

KCTitus
03-14-2006, 11:39 AM
You Will Suffer Humiliation When The Sports Team From My Area Defeats The Sports Team From Your Area

As you can see from the calendar, the game is coming up this weekend. I'm sure you are as excited for it as I am, as our cities are rivals and have been for quite some time. Your confidence in your team is high, but rest assured, you will suffer humiliation when the sports team from my area defeats the sports team from your area.

On numerous occasions, you have expressed the conviction that your area's sports team will be victorious. I must admit that every time I hear you make this proclamation, I react with both laughter and disbelief. "Ha!" I say to myself with laughter. "What?!" I say to myself in disbelief. How could you believe that your sports team could beat my sports team? It is clear that yours is inferior in every way.

When the sporting contest begins, the players on your team will be treated as though they are inconsequential. It will be remarkably easy for my team to accumulate more points than yours. There are many reasons for this, starting with the inferior physical attributes of the players representing your area. Strength, speed, and agility are just three of the qualities that the players on the team from your area lack. The players representing my area, on the other hand, have these traits in abundance.

I would not be a bit surprised if the individuals on the team from your area were sexually attracted to members of their own gender. That is how ineffective they are on the field of battle.

Underscoring your team's inferiority is its choice of colors. It is ludicrous to believe that your team's colors inspire either respect or fear. Instead, they appear to have been chosen by someone who is colorblind or, perhaps, bereft of sight altogether. The colors for my team, on the other hand, are aesthetically pleasing when placed in proximity to one another. They are a superior color combination in every way.

While we are on the subject of aesthetics, let us compare the respective facilities in which our teams play. While my team's edifice is blessed with architectural splendor and the most modern of amenities, yours is a thoroughly unpleasant place in which to watch a sporting contest. I know of what I speak, for I once attended a game between our respective teams in your facility. Let's just say the experience left me wishing that my car was inoperable that day due to mechanical problems, rendering it impossible for me to get to your area to attend the game.

If you need another reason why the sporting franchise representing my area is superior, look no further than the supporters for the two sides. Not only are the supporters of the team from my region more spirited, but they are also more intelligent and of finer breeding than you and the rest of your ilk. In addition, the female supporters of the team from my area possess more attractive countenances and figures than yours. Some of the women from my side that I have observed could make a living by posing for pictures for major men's magazines. The women who cheer for your team, I'm afraid, are far too unattractive to do so.

One of the more pathetic aspects of the team from your area is the fact that only people in your immediate area possess an affinity for it. By means of contrast, the team from my area inspires loyalty and affection in individuals who live in many other geographic locations.

To illustrate this point, let me tell a brief story: Recently, I was on vacation in an area of the country far away from my own, and I saw many individuals wearing items of clothing that bore the insignia of my team. I approached one such individual and asked him if he originated from my area. He said no, explaining that he simply liked the team from my area and had for many years. Interestingly enough, during this trip, I saw no clothing or other paraphernalia bearing the insignia of your team.

Do you still doubt that the team from your area is inferior to the one from mine? Just look at our teams' respective histories. In the past, we have defeated you on any number of occasions. Granted, there were times when your team beat my team, but those were lucky flukes.

The day of the game will soon be at hand. And no matter how hard you pray to a higher power or how many foam accoutrements you wear in support of the team from your area, your team will be defeated. We will win and you will lose. This is your fate.

Prepare for humiliation. It shall be upon you at the designated hour.

ArrowheadHawk
03-14-2006, 11:40 AM
i emailed him

Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:29 AM
To: Phil Luciano
Subject: interesting article

do they actually pay you to write that garbage about ku's mascot? You actually think the 5th place team in the MVC will even compete with the Big 12 Champs?

his reply

thanks for failing to see the humor.

Bob Dole
03-14-2006, 11:44 AM

You'd rather read an article about a pot of boiling water and some salt?

KCTitus
03-14-2006, 11:48 AM
The only thing that the author could have included was the line: "The only thing that comes out of Kansas is I-70".

Brock
03-14-2006, 11:50 AM
The only thing that the author could have included was the line: "The only thing that comes out of Kansas is I-70".

"I drove through that state once, and man, was it BOOORING."

Andoverer
03-14-2006, 11:51 AM
i emailed him

do they actually pay you to write that garbage about ku's mascot? You actually think the 5th place team in the MVC will even compete with the Big 12 Champs?

his reply

Uh huh.
Lucky for you he's a "catch and release" guy. Now carefully remove
that hook from your cheek and try not to hurt yourself while doing it.

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 11:52 AM
You'd rather read an article about a pot of boiling water and some salt?

Sure, it would be just as interesting.

HemiEd
Uh huh.
Lucky for you he's a "catch and release" guy. Now carefully remove
that hook from your cheek and try not to hurt yourself while doing it.

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are! ROFL

sedated
Napoleonic complex
noun
Definition: the condition of being small in stature but aggressively ambitious and seeking absolute control

Victims of this insanity feel the compulsion to prove their self-worth through fighting. Typically, victims of Napoleonic complex will pick fights with people of larger stature. The trigger for this illness is whenever tall, muscular people taunt the victim.

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 11:53 AM
i emailed him

his reply

You know there will be another article tomorrow with you in it?

Bob Dole
03-14-2006, 11:53 AM
"I drove through that state once, and man, was it BOOORING."

It's also frustrating to be able to see the all the way to the next state, but still have to drive 3 hours to get to it.

StcChief
03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Deju Vu...

My first job in Jr.High...Paper delivery by bicycle of the morning edition of Peoria Journal Star.

HemiEd
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
It's also frustrating to be able to see the all the way to the next state, but still have to drive 3 hours to get to it.

I bet that would be frustrating for a person that lives in two states at once.

Dartgod
03-14-2006, 12:39 PM
That column kicked ass. The only thing that made it better were the occassions when someone would post it here and a couple dumbasses would take it serious.
You mean like the dumbasses that are taking this column serious?

FloridaMan88
03-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Here is a copy of the e-mail by buddy who is a Kansas fan sent to that newspaper columnist, and by the way that newspaper columnist's e-mail address is pluciano@pjstar.com:

Mighty tough words coming from a sports columnist in the sports "hotbed" that is Peoria, Illinois. Seriously what sports are there to write about in Peoria, Illinois... girls high-school basketball and the occasional wiffle ball tournament?

As for your lame attempts to talk smack about KU, it is pretty pathetic that the only angle you could use was making fun of KU's nickname and mascot. Also if you are going to diss KU's nickname, perhaps you should get your facts straight for why KU is called the "Jayhawks". The nickname dates back to the Civil War, when the "Jayhawkers" from Kansas went to battle against the "Tigers" from Missouri.

Now back to Bradley University and the beacon of boredom that is Peoria, Illinois. After KU humiliates the non-factor, Missouri Valley FRAUD that is Bradley, then yourself and the rest of your fellow sports "journalists" can sit down and re-evaluate your career and wonder what the heck you did wrong in your life, that led you to end up covering the nonexistent sport scene in Peoria, Illinois.

I look forward to your exciting future columns covering the lawn mower races, teather-ball tournaments and yodeling contests that dominate the "exciting" Peoria sports landscape.

ROCK... CHALK... JAYHAWKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Saulbadguy
03-14-2006, 01:21 PM
ROFL

Hilarious. Sounds like he has ruffled the feathers succesfully.

shakesthecat
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
What exactly do you idiots sending huffy emails hope to achieve?

FloridaMan88
03-14-2006, 01:27 PM
What exactly do you idiots sending huffy emails hope to achieve?

A good e-mail-trash talking pissing match can be festive

jspchief
03-14-2006, 01:28 PM
A good e-mail-trash talking pissing match can be festiveAnyone see the one between Joe Rogan and some dude on myspace?

Brock
03-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Anyone see the one between Joe Rogan and some dude on myspace?

No, but I'd like to.

tk13
03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
ROFL I've said on here before that KU fans are the Denver Bronco fans of college basketball. This isn't helping your cause. Talk a lot of trash and get really defensive when you mock them.

Bradley got a tough draw. They were the MVC team I thought you maybe had to look out for because they were playing so well, have a good frontcourt and senior leadership... but KU might be the hottest team in the country.

jspchief
03-14-2006, 01:35 PM
http://blog.myspace.com/talkingmonkey

Rogan came out looking kind of pathetic IMO. Why let the kid get to you?

Dartgod
03-14-2006, 01:37 PM
ROFL I've said on here before that KU fans are the Denver Bronco fans of college basketball. This isn't helping your cause. Talk a lot of trash and get really defensive when you mock them.

No shit. I keep thinking it looks like something Joe Posnaski would write at the Star. It's nothing more than a humorous article, but some of the KU fans here act like he insulted their manhood. Which is even funnier than the article.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2006, 01:38 PM

Who is that guy?

sedated
03-14-2006, 01:55 PM
some of the KU fans here act like he insulted their manhood.

essentially he did.

he didn't just talk sh!t on the bird, he talked sh!t on the history of the University and the state.

crying bucknell is one thing, but attacking the school itself is another.

I'm sure he would have some respect for tradition and history if Bradley had any.

ArrowheadHawk
03-14-2006, 02:00 PM
essentially he did.

he didn't just talk sh!t on the bird, he talked sh!t on the history of the University and the state.

I'm sure he would have some respect for tradition and history if Bradley had any.
rep

Dartgod
03-14-2006, 02:03 PM
essentially he did.

Yeah, this shit is definitely funnier than the article.

I need to break out a roll of quarters so all you f***ers can buy a sense of humor.

KCTitus
03-14-2006, 02:07 PM

Ghey...I mean, how can anyone get insulted by: "You're not funny. I hate you".

That's some serious sandginer, there.

Probably good publicity tho.

Eleazar
03-14-2006, 02:17 PM
essentially he did.

Jeez... melodramatic much?

This guy wrote a tongue in cheek column for a paper that covers a school that is about as massive of an underdog as there is to be found in the tournament, and you are acting like he pissed on your mother's grave.

HE TALKED SH#T ON THEBIRD AND THE STATE!!!!!!!

Sounds like a good basis for a brawl in the middle school locker bay or out by the flagpole after school.

You guys will show Bradley that they can't cut in front of you in the lunch line! :cuss:

I'm leaving before someone triple-dog-dares me :huh:

Mr. Laz
03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
i don't know ... i took it the completely opposite way.

i thought the article was almost a satire

like the guy thought that Bradley was just such a long shot that he would put something total crazy out there to be funny.

i didn't see it as being serious at all. :shrug:

Dartgod
03-14-2006, 02:25 PM
i don't know ... i took it the completely opposite way.

i thought the article was almost a satire

like the guy thought that Bradley was just such a long shot that he would put something total crazy out there to be funny.

i didn't see it as being serious at all. :shrug:
Exactly.

Glad to know I can save at least one quarter today.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Heh... you know you're in bad shape when laz is the one that "gets it".
Heh. Outstanding.

ArrowheadHawk
03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Exactly.

Glad to know I can save at least one quarter today.
give me some more because no matter what yall say this article pisses me off it is in poor taste

CoMoChief
03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I like to see what he writes about when KU beats their ass by 25+

Mr. Laz
03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
i hope mer's teeth slip

:p

ChiefaRoo
03-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Here is a copy of the e-mail by buddy who is a Kansas fan sent to that newspaper columnist, and by the way that newspaper columnist's e-mail address is pluciano@pjstar.com:

Mighty tough words coming from a sports columnist in the sports "hotbed" that is Peoria, Illinois. Seriously what sports are there to write about in Peoria, Illinois... girls high-school basketball and the occasional wiffle ball tournament?

As for your lame attempts to talk smack about KU, it is pretty pathetic that the only angle you could use was making fun of KU's nickname and mascot. Also if you are going to diss KU's nickname, perhaps you should get your facts straight for why KU is called the "Jayhawks". The nickname dates back to the Civil War, when the "Jayhawkers" from Kansas went to battle against the "Tigers" from Missouri.

Now back to Bradley University and the beacon of boredom that is Peoria, Illinois. After KU humiliates the non-factor, Missouri Valley FRAUD that is Bradley, then yourself and the rest of your fellow sports "journalists" can sit down and re-evaluate your career and wonder what the heck you did wrong in your life, that led you to end up covering the nonexistent sport scene in Peoria, Illinois.

I look forward to your exciting future columns covering the lawn mower races, teather-ball tournaments and yodeling contests that dominate the "exciting" Peoria sports landscape.

I like it and your right it can be "festive"

Go Chickenhawks

Eleazar
03-14-2006, 02:38 PM
ROFL

Laz is the only one who gets it.

Come on people. No one really thinks Bradley is going to win. He's got to write something.

KCTitus
03-14-2006, 02:53 PM
ROFL

Come on people. No one really thinks Bradley is going to win. He's got to write something.

I guess I should note that I didnt find anything objectionable about the article. I posted 'Your team' for Brock and EndDelt because they mentioned it. I thought it ironic that End mentioned that sometimes when 'Your Team' was posted here that many took it seriously, kind of like a few posters took the article in the title post.

Dartgod
03-14-2006, 03:05 PM
give me some more because no matter what yall say this article pisses me off it is in poor tastePoor taste? Wow....

That's pathetic. At least I know how to get under your skin now. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2006, 03:09 PM
ArrowheadHawk is pretty god damned retarded on multiple levels. Just my opinion, of course.

Eleazar
03-14-2006, 03:26 PM
ArrowheadHawk is pretty god damned retarded on multiple levels. Just my opinion, of course.

Tell us how you really feel.

By the way, did I mention that your school has a substandard mascot, history, and state of residence?

Oh - snap.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Tell us how you really feel.

By the way, did I mention that your school has a substandard mascot, history, and state of residence?

Oh - snap.
That was just uncalled for. What is your email address? I'm seething with anger.

Eleazar
03-14-2006, 03:36 PM
That was just uncalled for. What is your email address? I'm seething with anger.

But... I haven't even had time to belittle your team's cheer or your town's minor celebrity yet.

StcChief
03-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Wow.. are the KU folks worried they might get Bucknelled again?

Skip Towne
03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Hugh Beaumont my ass. Doesn't that jackass know John Hadl is from Lawrence?

ArrowheadHawk
03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
greatest post ever, i love you too saul

CoMoChief
03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
But... I haven't even had time to belittle your team's cheer or your town's minor celebrity yet.

My high school's cheer is/was the same as KSU's cheer.

Duck Dog
03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I can't believe that on the eve of March Madness, this assclown couldn't come up with anything other than to bash KU.

I smell an MU drop out.

sedated
03-14-2006, 04:26 PM

oh, I get it. It's just not that funny.

and what's wrong with getting a little offended? Everybody has topics that get them upset when insulted. race, religion, sexual orientation, family, habits, etc.

Had this guy said, "Kansas is full of stupid n*ggers," I'm sure someone would get offended. I'm not saying it's similar, but saying that everyone gets offended, don't act like you're above it.

I'm not going to go burn the guy's house down or anything, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

It doesn seem pretty ridiculous when compared to the Onion's article, but when you actually insert specifics from something you care about, it takes a more personal feel.

See, now I'm offended cause you're making fun of me for getting offended. I need to chill the f*ck out.

ArrowheadHawk
03-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Smoke a bowl, sedated.
that fixes everything

ROYC75
03-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Come on guys, he wants to ruffle our feathers, don't let him do it. He knows he has to get his shot in now, after Friday night, he has no chance to do it.

He's a bigmouth dickhead. :D

sedated
03-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Smoke a bowl, sedated.

umm...okay

:bong:

Ebolapox
03-14-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm gonna laugh my ass off if ku overlooks bradley like they did bucknell... I might just go to the hospital for laughing so hard...

-EB-

Ebolapox
03-14-2006, 05:14 PM
I can't believe that on the eve of March Madness, this assclown couldn't come up with anything other than to bash KU.

I smell an MU drop out.

worked for bucknell

-EB-

Tactical Funky
03-14-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm not offended at all by this piece. It's merely a journalist attempting to deflect attention away from the fact that Bradley is going to get run over like a freight train on Friday.

If you can't win, poke fun at and attempt to rile up your opponents. Interestingly enough, the writer neglected to state the abolitionist and radically liberal roots of the Jayhawkers, but I guess that era is known as Bleeding Kansas for a reason.

Okay, I'm not guaranteeing a KU win here *coughBUCKNELLcough* but I feel our chances of at least making the Final Four are quite good. My only real concern would be playing a strong Pittsburgh squad in the second round. :hmmm:

Tactical Funky
03-14-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm gonna laugh my ass off if ku overlooks bradley like they did bucknell... I might just go to the hospital for laughing so hard...

-EB-
I doubt Self is going to allow our team to overlook any team as long as he's coaching here.

The Bucknell loss hurt, that's for sure, but it could serve to help us early on in the tourney.

Ebolapox
03-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I doubt Self is going to allow our team to overlook any team as long as he's coaching here.

The Bucknell loss hurt, that's for sure, but it could serve to help us early on in the tourney.

eh, ya never know... and that's the beauty of march madness...

-EB-

tk13
03-14-2006, 05:21 PM

I'm not sure... usually I would agree 100% but you guys turned over your entire roster. Most of them didn't get to really play and experience that Bucknell disaster.

Tactical Funky
03-14-2006, 05:25 PM
eh, ya never know... and that's the beauty of march madness...

-EB-
Yup.

We'll have to wait and see, but I have hopes for this young yet talented team. They did, however, do much better than I expected this year, so that much leaves me satisfied. :clap:

Hammock Parties
03-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Wow.. are the KU folks worried they might get Bucknelled again?

Not too worried about that really. Last year the seniors really didnt want to be there anymore by that time, and our guys now love the style of basketball they're playing. It kind of worries me though, because last year i felt the same way as i do now... so yah, i dont know, lol

Tactical Funky
03-14-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure... usually I would agree 100% but you guys turned over your entire roster. Most of them didn't get to really play and experience that Bucknell disaster.
Good point.

I hope Self has instilled a sense of humility into them, because young players can definitely get inflated egos after big wins.

ArrowheadHawk
03-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Good point.

I hope Self has instilled a sense of humility into them, because young players can definitely get inflated egos after big wins.
i think the texas loss in regular season helped tone down our egos this team may be young but they are as tough as any ku team i can remember.....not that that is a lot im only 25 yrs old but still i like this team....i think next year we will be legitamate title contenders

Tactical Funky
03-14-2006, 05:43 PM
i think the texas loss in regular season helped tone down our egos this team may be young but they are as tough as any ku team i can remember.....not that that is a lot im only 25 yrs old but still i like this team....i think next year we will be legitamate title contenders
Agreed.

Next year we should be in the Top 5 in the nation, and hopefully can get that elusive third NC...

Mr. Laz
03-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Agreed.

Next year we should be in the Top 5 in the nation, and hopefully can get that elusive third NC...

i think unless Brandon Rush just goes off in the NCAA tourney he will be back next year too.

he seems to be having fun and clearly needs to improve on his ball handling skills before moving to the NBA.

Tactical Funky
03-14-2006, 05:50 PM
i think unless Brandon Rush just goes off in the NCAA tourney he will be back next year too.

he seems to be having fun and clearly needs to improve on his ball handling skills before moving to the NBA.
Yeah, once Rush gets his ball handling down, look out.

I just want the kid to stay as long as possible. :(

OldTownChief
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I can tell you that a lot of you have never been in a sports bar in your life. I'm a Hawks fan and I laughed my ass off reading the article. Get out people, have some fun. SMILE

ArrowheadHawk
03-14-2006, 06:10 PM
I can tell you that a lot of you have never been in a sports bar in your life. I'm a Hawks fan and I laughed my ass off reading the article. Get out people, have some fun. SMILE:) :virtualsmile:

Tactical Funky
03-14-2006, 06:13 PM
I can tell you that a lot of you have never been in a sports bar in your life. I'm a Hawks fan and I laughed my ass off reading the article. Get out people, have some fun. SMILE
Yup, it's a very sarcastic article that obviously pokes more fun at Bradley then KU. Read between the lines and you'll see.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
ROFL

Sounds like he ruffled alot of feathers...

http://pjstar.com/stories/031506/PHI_B98F1NNE.NW1.shtml

Luciano opens his e-mail bin

The following letters - written in response to the March 14 column, "Are the Jayhawks molting?" - were screened only for offensive material.

Advertisement

Related stories
Luciano opens his e-mail bin (03/15/2006)
Jayhawkers as funny as the rock they adore (03/15/2006)

Phil Luciano
Phil Luciano
NEWS COLUMNIST

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Nice way to try and rally the troops. Seriously, you think Bradley will beat KU ? Using a 1950 game as refrence to your domination?

What will your Sat. morning story be when you get waxed by 20 + points ?

Signed,

Life long Jayhawk fan laughing at your stupidity.

royc75@hotmail.com

---

the jayhawk was once associated with what you say in your article, but during and after the civil war the jayhawkers were renowned for fighting heroically for freedom of slavery and against missouri, and the term became associated with heroism and bravery. you are a moron if you actually believe what you write in your article. are you too stupid to realize that you are bashing lawrence and kansas and you live in peoria!!! i know you are probably clueless about basketball, i mean you do write for bradley, oooh bigtime writer(haha) but you are talking trash by making fun of a legendary mascot?

dont you realize all you r doing is firing up our players more, which are all 2 talent levels above any bradley player, and making yourself look like an idiot? i mean what was the point of your article? it didnt even make sense.

oooh ku's mascot is 2 birds, they suck. lets not do something worthy and actually analyze the match-up, lets compare mascots. i really hope your article was sarcasm, if not you are clueless and an idiot. so according to your logic, when we paste your team by 30 friday, does that mean the mascot could also whoop yours ? that makes sense. the mascots and school decide the game, and you bash the rock chalk chant?!! are you kidding me??? the rock chalk chant is the greatest college chant of all time, during the olympics in 1906, the king of england asked for americans to belt out a classic college chant, they belted out the rock chalk, teddy roosevelt called it the greatest chant ever made. and i dont think you have seen it done in a packed allen fieldhouse in pregame with ereryone singing in unison and going crazy have you? come back to me when you do see it, it will give you chills down your spine, does for me every time, so before you go bashing our chants and mascot and school, which are all 100 times better than bradley, you might want to get a clue and a life, and stick to stuff that not out of your league, like lets say, covering little league football.

bigmack@mail.ku.edu

---

Get your facts straight

"The term arose from settlers from Illinois (ironical, ain't it?). Its origin isn't clear, but "jayhawk" came to refer to ruffians with the habit of robbing, looting, and general lawlessness."

There is a difference between a Jayhawk and A Jayhawker buddy. If you want to look for looters and scum, look no further than Mizzou.

G a r r e t t M i l l e r

gm4784@att.com

---

Great article on the Gay,ah I meant Jayhawks. I live in Lawrence and frankly Lawrence is a great town, but everything you discussed in your article is soooo true. I'm a K-Stater (instate rivals), I nearly puke everytime these jayhawks start there darn "chant" at the end of the game. I truly truly hope Bradley takes it to them on Fri, and I will be watching, and hoping I don't have to hear that sickening chant. Mel

insplan@sbcglobal.net

---

As a K-State fan I, of course had a deep appreciation of your editorial.

I personally always refer to them as: k - ah- YEW up at LahRenz on the Kaw, and describe the Jayhawk as a Blue duck with yellow goulashes.

Among the inner circle we regard them as "haughty, arrogant, and sanctimonious bastards".

jm36@juno.com

---

I'm not sure if I'm more offended by the poor fact-gathering or overwhelming insensitivity of this article. I'll assume that since Mr. Luciano is a columnist and not a reporter, it's the insensitivity, but the horrible fact-finding is not to be overlooked. Initially I'd like to point out that William S. Borfoughs, James Naismith and Phog Allen all chose to call Lawrence home, rather than just Ward Cleaver, as the article would suggest. Further, some more research might have exposed the fact that "jayhawker" is inherently tied to the abolitionist movement, something noble rather than the "lawlessness" which was used to characterize it.

I especially enjoyed Mr. Luciano's characterization of the Jayhawk as homosexual. Very enlightened and worthy of attention, it really was.

Fortunately, I won't characterize the city of Peoria as being as narrow-minded and immature as Mr. Luciano. Needless to say, all of us here on "Brokeback Mountain" try to be a tad more accepting of other people's lifestyles.

Most importantly, the article was horribly timed. I wouldn't expect an employee of a newspaper to be aware of the news, but the city of Lawrence was hit by a microburst just days ago that did significant damage. On top of the $6 million dollars of damage done to the university, many residents of Lawrence are only now beginning to regain power so that they may proceed with rebuilding roofs and cleaning up after the destruction. Good timing, Mr. Luciano. I applaud your sensitivity following this disaster.

Joshua Keepes

Lawrence, Kansas

jkeepes@ku.edu

---

While I'm generally tired of Brokeback Mountain jokes, yours was actually pretty funny.

Congrats on making the tourney, and here's to a good game this weekend.

(Of course by good, I mean 30 point blowout by the 'Hawks.)

And if you ever get a chance, visit Lawrence. It's actually a very nice town, and KU's campus is one of the prettiest around.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Seth, KU '97

snoodmonger@gmail.com

---

Phil,

Good work on the article! Some of my Jayhawk "brethren" might be a little thin-skinned as I'm sure you're aware by now. Won't make this long as I'm sure you have a dozen other KU emails to read (don't you love the internet nowadays?). You should come on over to phog.net and join in the discussion, or at the very least come check out the long thread you incited! Take care and good luck Friday.

ps- if you can't tell. . .we're passionate about our basketball, so you only have about 80 responses and 2000 views in the few hours your articles been posted this morning.

Brent Williams

brent.williams@oc.edu

---

Your column, "Are the Jayhawks molting?" is one of the best I have read in a long time. I will be direly rooting for Bradley in the first round.

A K-State student

drewc@ksu.edu

---

Phil,

I've always enjoyed satire, thanks for the good read.

Jacob Bateson

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!

jrbateson@gmail.com

---

From a nice Jawhawk...

...and that 5-state-regionally-famous foul stench emanating from Peoria when you pass by? Is that the stale smell of a long quarter-century of a spotty and midly successful basketball program? Maybe not, but when you ask someone about Braves B-ball all you hear about is the "Golden Age," and the "Vintage Years" of the mid-30's and the lone NIT-loss / NCAA rematch loss of the 1950 season. In fact, Bradley's Famous Five final season was 1939. Is there any decent Braves B-ball to speak of that you actually witnessed?

Your team players are called Braves for a reason...

Bradley Scout

Peoria Pundit

...it stinks where they live.

Scott "visited-Peoria-once-and-not-returning" Schaper

P.S. By the way, in '50 Bradley fell, not once, but twice - in both tournaments to CCNY - That is, The City College of New York.

sschaper@agilcor.com

---

Your column is a joke, and reflects poorly on not only yourself, but your entire newspaper. I'll help clear up some things you may not know about Kansas, since obviously you or no one at your fine newspaper was able to.

First, the Rock Chalk Chant is not our fight song. That would be "I'm a Jayhawk." The Rock Chalk Chant is recited before games, and in the closing minutes of a victory (which I am sure you will hear loud in clear in Auburn Hills Friday night). That brings me to my second point.

The University of Kansas men's basketball team plays in Phog Allen Fieldhouse, on Dr. James Naismith Court. Those names ring a bell?

Allen is only the father of modern basketball coaching, and Naismith, well, he kind of invented the game that allows Bradley to share the same court with such a tradition rich program. Bradley may have won in 1950, but what have they done since? All Kansas has done is become a team that is 3rd All-Time in wins. Usually Kansas fans have great respect for our first round opponents, because they are no doubt good basketball teams who have faired well in their mid-major conferences. The teams aren't loaded with McDonalds All-Americans, but they play quality, team-oriented basketball. You column throws any of that respect out the door. The first thing I thought when I read your column was that it sounded almost identical to a student column that ran in the university newspaper th week before a game with our most hated rival, Missouri.

The week before the teams meet, each universitiy's respective newpaper has a columnist write an article for the other university's newspaper.

Missouri's program was in shambles, so instead of giving an analysis of the game ahead, all the writer did was throw cheapshots at KU.

Congratulations for sounding exactly like some idiot columnist who doesn't even have a bachelors degree yet. Too bad you wasted all of you time getting that degree when you sound about as professional as someone who has no degree. You could have written a column about the University of Kansas and all of the tradition the the program carries, but you chose not to.

Maybe it is because you assumed that your readers would already know all about it, since it is the topic of discussion of every college basketball broadcaster when they visit Lawrence for one of our 15 nationally televised games each year. Instead of some kind of informative column, you took cheap shots at a program that has as much tradition as any program in the country.

Bradley could win Friday. It is unlikely, but so was Bucknell last year.

All Kansas fans know this. Pay attention at the game Friday, and you will see that Kansas is full of tradition. Our fans travel all over the country to watch the Jayhawks play. Our team, although it is young, is playing as good as any Kansas team has been at this point in the year.

You might even go meet Max Falkenstein, the radio color man for KU. He is in his last year as a broadcaster for Kansas Football and Basketball, his 60th year. Maybe he could teach you a thing or two about how to do your job in a classy, professional way. Thanks for helping me and every other Jayhawk fan realize how great our program is by resorting to cheap shots. It just makes us all realize how special it really is to be a fan of such an outstanding program.

Have a wonderful day, and enjoy the game this weekend. I know I will.

Andy Garner

andy2garner@hotmail.com

---

Dear Mr. Luciano,

Clever article. Parts were sort of funny. I will take issue with a few things. You described Jayhawkers as "ruffians with the habit of robbing, looting, and general lawlessness." You forgot to mention that Jayhawker refers to abolitionist guerrilla fighters that were trying to repel Missourians who were attempting to turn Kansas from a Free State to a slave state. That's a little more noble description. Also, many of the Jayhawkers were from New England, and not merely Illinois.

One more thing, we prefer to claim Langston Hughes and William Burroughs as our favorite native sons, and not Ward Cleaver.

Thanks,

Bobby O'Connor

bobbyoc@mail.ku.edu

---

That was a funny column. (Whatever happened to the Braves?) It will be fun to destroy Bradley.

But don't take it personal.

Mark Johnson

Wichita, Kansas

Rock Chalk!

mark@ewjohnsoninc.com

---

Good luck on Friday.

And thanks for all the insulting comments, not that we needed any additional motivation.

I just wanted to thank you in advance for keeping our guys focused.

( just kidding, afterall your column was a joke right?)

Go KU.

Steve Campbell

Lawrence, KS

secamp@sunflower.com

---

Dear misinformed writer,

Regarding the Rock Chalk Chant, if you hear if echoing throughout the arena, you have already lost. It is not our fight song, it is what you hear when you lose to KU. Do your research.

Rock Chalk,

Andy

kufiredancer34@gmail.com

---

Dear Mr. Luciano;

I just read with interest your sarcastic commentary about Jayhawks. I realize that you must play the role of a homer for your local newspaper, with the goal of working the locals into a frenzy, but it sounds like a history lesson is in order:

1) Our "silly" mascot, as you describe it, has it's origins in the pre-Civil war era when eastern Kansas and western Missouri were the battleground between pro-slave and free-state forces. Lawrence (home of KU) was the free-state center of territorial Kansas. You correctly described the morphing of Blue Jays and hawks into a Jayhawk, but to describe it as "silly" ignores the historical context. In fact, ancestral Jayhawks were the vanguard of the abolitionist movement in the country. In contrast, the former mascot of Bradley is basically stolen from a subjugated people. I'll take the Jayhawk.

2) You certainly know that the inventor of the game was the first coach at KU, right? Is that a logical reason to have a sense of tradition?

3) Nice shot about the limestone. Have you been to the KU campus? If not, have a look

You might be surprised to discover that the campus is very hilly and quite pretty. By comparison, central Illinois is................................................????? How's the corn looking this year?

You were far from original in the common put down that, after all, it's Kansas, but, if I recall correctly, the only thing about Peoria in the national consciousness is the old saying How Would it Play in Peoria. Oh, forgot about the tractor thing.

In closing, I understand your need to work up the home crowd, but it strikes me as desperate for a beat writer in Peoria, Illinois to take such an ill-informed swipe at a sister Midwestern city, especially one that most people would consider to be a more favorable place in many ways. You should check it out sometime.

dunes@msu.edu

---

Dear Mr. Luciano:

A friend of mine, who likewise marvels in your insignificance, provided me a copy of your childish little screed in regard to the University of Kansas, the Jayhawk mascot, and Lawrence in general. Permit me to correct a few of the factual inaccuracies within same.

First, while Hugh Beaumont is indeed a Lawrence native, I certainly don't recall him leaving Lawrence like Indiana Jones fleeing the giant rock. Lawrence has provided a home to numerous luminaries over the years, including James Naismith, who, among other things, invented the football helmet, and perhaps did a few other things of which even a microcephalic like yourself might have some familiarity; Phog Allen, the father of modern basketball coaching; Dean Smith and Adolph Rupp, two coaches of whom you may have heard that grew at the feet of Dr. Allen; Wilt Chamberlain; Jo Jo White; Danny Manning; Raef LaFrenz; Paul Pierce; Roy Williams; Larry Brown and many, many others who found Lawrence cosmopolitan enough to go to the town and stay for a period of time. Certainly, they found it a preferable place to other locales, say, Peoria, IL. Many of those individuals have returned to Lawrence throughout their lives and many found it a place where they made their homes.

In regard to the meaning of the term "Jayhawk," you did correctly state that the initial meaning of the word related to free state supporters who occasionally ran incursions into the State of Missouri, which was, at the time, a slave state. However, the term was soon rehabilitated and came to stand for those who opposed the oppression of our fellow men and supported the United States as ONE country. The Jayhawkers so angered those who loved and supported slavery that they invaded Kansas and burned Lawrence to the ground. Certainly, I'm sure that those who believed in the cause of freedom and who fought, suffered, and died for it are deserving of the loathing of one such as yourself.

Additionally, it appears that your comments in regard to the Jayhawk were, in part, plagerized from the KUSports.com website. This site is not affilitated with the University of Kansas, but instead is the official webpage for the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper's coverage of KU athletics.

I recognize that your comments were geared toward a laudable support of a team about which you report. While certainly abandoning any pretext of objective journalism, it is still far from necessary for you to denigrate concepts about which you know nothing, or next to nothing. Far be it from me to allow this to degenerate into a "my school is better than your school," as that serves little creditable purpose, but certainly I would take the Four National Championships, (2 Helms Foundation Championships and 2 NCAAs), 49 conference championships, 8 conference tournament championships, 35 NCAA tournament appearances, and 12 Final Fours (and counting) into account before deciding that it is time to talk smack about another school's program.

Thank you for your attention.

ktstamper@hotmail.com

---

Mr. Luciano:

While I'm sure your fans, and possibly the Bradley Braves themselves, need the motivation you undoubtedly were trying to create with your article attacking the University of Kansas, the Jayhawk mascot, its heritage, etc. your journalistic prowess has a few holes in it.

You state:

" The term arose from settlers from Illinois (ironical, ain't it?). Its origin isn't clear, but "jayhawk" came to refer to ruffians with the habit of robbing, looting, and general lawlessness."

The truth:

Mascots are believed to bring good luck, especially to athletic teams. Just about every college claims a mascot. The University of Kansas is home of the Jayhawk, a mythical bird with a fascinating history. Its origin is rooted in the historic struggles of Kansas settlers. The term "Jayhawk" was probably coined about 1848. Accounts of its use appeared from Illinois to Texas. The name combines two birds--the blue jay, a noisy, quarrelsome thing known to rob other nests, and the sparrow hawk, a stealthy hunter. The message here: Don't turn your back on this bird.

Obviously stating the term "jayhawk" arose from Illinois fit your agenda nicely but isn't a completely truthful statement. Maybe as a journalist the truth wasn't your goal. You win. Furthermore, it is interesting you tout the fact you don't have a mascot even though most schools do and deem them good luck. I'm sure you think that makes you superior.

In addition, "During the Civil War, the Jayhawk's ruffian image gave way to patriotic symbol. Kansas Governor Charles Robinson raised a regiment called the Independent Mounted Kansas Jayhawks. By war's end, Jayhawks were synonymous with the impassioned people who made Kansas a Free State." That's right, we are Jayhawkers and damn proud of it.

Source: http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/jayhawk.shtml

Secondly, you state:

"If you watch the game Friday, you'll hear the Jayhawk fight song, known as the Rock Chalk chant. I won't bore you with the history of this droning babble, which essentially pays homage to the most exciting thing on campus: a big chunk of limestone (hey, it's Kansas).

The school calls the tune "world famous," but I don't get it. The song sounds like monks either chanting in prayer or moaning from torture. If I had a hound dog that wailed so miserably, I'd shoot it."

The truth:

The Rock Chalk Chant is NOT the Jayhawk Fight Song. Furthermore (ironic, ain't it?), you once again use part of the information to feed the points made in your article. I can see why you didn't want to include the rest of the story. Just in case you forgot, I've included it here for you.

"Teddy Roosevelt pronounced the Rock Chalk Chant the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. It was used by Kansas troops fighting in the Philippines in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion in China, and World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty." (has a world famous ring to it, doesn't it?)

Source: http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/chant.shtml

I'm beginning to think I'd take that hound dog any day over your driveling babble. I'd hate to see what you would do with a crying baby if you are willing to shoot a wailing dog.

The next time you want to attack a university, its people, and its heritage make an attempt to include all the information, not just that which is self-serving. I understand this may be a novel concept for the Peoria Journal Star but journalism should strive for accuracy. Ironic, isn't it?

Sincerely,

Jayhawk Nation

camdenmiller@mac.com

---

Are you retarded?

beech2222@hotmail.com

---

Dear Phil,

Count me as one Jayhawk fan who actually smiled reading your column in today's Peoria Journal-Star.

To be honest, you have quite a ways to go before you match the smack level of our more local rivals, Kansas State and Missouri, but it was a decent start. Take note, however, that the same K-State fans who throw red-and-blue dyed rubber chickens on the floor have gone a remarkable 1-32 (including 23 straight on the KSU court) against the Jayhawks over the last 20-plus years. It would seem that too much smack can backfire, especially when you're dealing with birds of prey. And you probably won't get there with trite references to Brokeback Mountain.

Look at it another way: We're one of those NCAA institutions who have no political correctness concerns until parrots form their own rights movement. Good luck with that.

Sincerely,

M. Fisher, Kansas

a Jayhawk alum

mfisher48@yahoo.com

---

Phil,

In response to your article regarding the upcoming matchup you stated

"The school calls the tune "world famous," but I don't get it."

Please find the enclosed information. I would imagine a google search would provide it for you, but you don't get why it is famous.

Teddy Roosevelt pronounced the Rock Chalk Chant the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. It was used by Kansas troops fighting in the Philippines in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion in China, and World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

As for Ward Cleaver being the most famous resident,

KU scientists discovered helium. One alum discovered Pluto. The inventor of basketball and our first coach is buried here.

Thank your for your time,

Dr. Joel Welch

Metuchen, NJ

jocawelch@gmail.com

---

Phil,

Do you honestly think of yourself as a news columnist? You sound like a disallusioned fan? That article was an absolute waste of my time and your work resembles an article from "The Onion" more so than a respectable news source.

deckbd@yahoo.com

---

"The message here: Don't turn your back on this bird."

Or their current coach, don't turn your back on him either!

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he is no longer wearing orange and blue and I respect and admire Bruce Weber. However, the bad feelings of most inhabitants of the ILLINI NATION for Bill Self will not easily be erased.

Jeanette Clark Go ILLINI

TourismDirector@co.coles.il.us

---

Phil,

Dont worry about some of the thinskinned Jayhawks. That was some funny stuff. Thanks for the Laugh.

Message board

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU,

DS

DStarr@prismb2b.com

---

Sir,

Just wanted to thank you for the prediction of hearing the Rock Chalk Chant on Friday! Due to your poor investigation you missed the fact that the Rock Chalk Chant is NOT our fight song, but the chant you hear at the end of the game, last minute or so, during a victory. Glad to know you have given up hope before the game.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!

Mandy

sikes2@hotmail.com

---

Mr. Luciano, you have proceeded to show many of us how much you know about intercollegiate athletics, Division 1, basketball tradition and history.

Thank you so much from a lifelong Jayhawk fan. What was I thinking?

Curt Fehr

Graphic Designer

Electrolux Construction Products

curt.fehr@electrolux.com

---

"If you watch the game Friday, you'll hear the Jayhawk fight song, known as the Rock Chalk chant."

These two songs are not the same thing way to do your research!

Fight song

Rock Chalk Chant

FYI after reading the Bradley fight song you do realize you have nothing to talk smack about.

johnathanj@hotmail.com

---

You have a good article, I am not here to rant or flame so I would appreciate it if you took the time to read it.

The Jayhawks actually comes from the term Jayhawker (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jayhawker) which is a free state guerrilla as this site describes it, but basically it was free-staters who were willing to fight Missourians (hence the rivalry) before and during the civil war. Also, these same Missourians burned Lawrence to the ground before the civil war. As for our alumni we don't have a lot we boast Bob Dole and Don Johnson. If you exclude basketball players and football players those are about the two guys we have.

I hoipe you read this and good luck to both teams.

Jason Bishop

bishop.jason@gmail.com

---

Phil,

Read your article...is that the best you can do? Look forward to the follow up article after Kansas defeats Bradley. Also look forward to how well you like the "Rock Chalk Chant" as the game ends and Bradley is defeated.

kscott@na.ko.com

---

Nothing quite like mascot smack.

And the Rock Chalk Chant and the fight song ("I'm a Jayhawk") are not the same thing.

Nice effort,

Jim Williamson

Topeka

phogfan86@yahoo.com

---

Dear Phil,

I always read your column. Many times I agree with your assessments of local events and laugh at the responses in the "Random Ax of Snideness". This time you have gone too far by maligning my beloved Jayhawks. Both my husband, Lee, and I are KU alumni and Kansas natives.

Yes, the current incarnation of the Jayhawk does look like a cartoon. Big deal! Last time I watched a basketball game, the mascots weren't the ones on the floor playing. The mascot isn't what intimidates to the opposing team. It is the impeccable tradition of Kansas basketball which goes back to the man who invented the game. How many basketball teams with so many young players have the results at the end of the season that the Jayhawks do?

May I compare Peoria with Lawrence? Lawrence has a top university, noted for the number of National Merit Scholars it attracts. It is a diverse city with a vibrant local arts and music scene. Peoria can claim to be the home of Richard Pryor (who hated the town) and Mudvayne, but a hub of the arts and diverse it is not. I haven't seen such blatant racial division since I lived for a few years in the Deep South. Lawrence's school system is one of the best in the state. In fact, families move to Lawrence from all over the nation because it has a unique program for students with autism. Don't make me go off on Peoria's school system. I actually like living in Peoria, but when you attack my home, I am forced to make unflattering comparisons.

In your diatribe against the Rock Chalk Chant, you dissed Kansas. It may not be the top tourist destination in the US, but after living in Illinois, I can't wait to go back. I can't believe the amount of red tape there is just to get simple things done. The history of governmental corruption in Illinois disgusts me. When your governor won't live in the capital, you know there is something wrong.

I am only a moderate basketball fan, but the Rock Chalk Chant gets my spine tingling every time I hear it. It is a tradition, which is something top basketball programs and universities have. You'll hear it, too, in the last minutes of the game on Friday when Bradley gets its butt kicked by the Jayhawks.

Emily Evans-Schnee

Peorian for three years, Kansan for life.

emevans@insightbb.com

---

Nice article on the Jayhawks, good read. Congrats on the tourny and Good Luck Next Year, cause it won't do you much good this year. Seriously, I did enjoy the article.

Rock Chalk,

Chris Beets

cmanbeets@cox.net

---

I assume your article about the Kansas Jayhawk, KU basketball, and Lawrence, Ks. were meant to be satire. If so it still leaves much to be desired. Let me suggest that you plan a trip to Allen Fieldhouse next basketball season and watch a real venue for college basketball. Even playing a team like Bradley there would be 16,300 rabid fans cheering on the Hawks and chanting the Rock Chalk Chant when the KU win is assured. Then tell us your thoughts of a real basketball venue.

radkins5@cox.net

---

I will admit your article was funny

although you should visit lawrence some time, I think you will find it not quite as you envision.

Also the term Jayhawk is not really that narrowly defined, however most of it is representative of those who fought the first battles of the Civil War here (in the 1850's, against slavery, something I really don't think we need to be ashamed of.

Anyway you were funny, so I give you a pass.

However, and this is not bragging, your team really has very little chance.

Your only chance would be to be hitting lights out from the 3 point line, and I mean lights out, like you have never done before. Kansas ranked 12th does not do them justice, they have been climbing for 2 months and the ranking does not do the team justice. We have an 8 man rotation where we lose nothing regardless of which of the 8 are playing.

And if we get in a pinch we have 2 other seniors that can do an adequate job, i.e. forget getting us in foul trouble, never happens. Out of the 8, 5 will be on their game. You will not face a press I don't think, but half court pressure that will kill you, and break away points on turnovers out the yin yang.

I respect the love of Basketball in your town, and very quickly other Jhawk fans saw that too, you clearly love basketball.

However, you got the wrong draw on this one, I am just being objective, you are doomed, maybe 1 chance in 10 of winning.

fkalich@sunflower.com

---

Your research obviously did not enlighten you much about Kansas! First of all, you probably were unaware that the game of basketball was invented by the first coach at Kansas. Next, you probably never heard of the many all americans who played round- ball at Kansas, such as Wilt Chamberlain, JoJo White, Paul Pierce, nor did your research avail you of the fact that Kansas has more National titles than Bradley has trips to the NCAA tournament. For the clincher, watch your Bradley boys get a little school housin at Arbor Hills Friday night!! Glad you finally made the tournament. With your record, I can see why you would rather talk about mascots! Hawk

bhawk40@yahoo.com

---

Let me begin by saying one thing - I am aware of the tongue-in-cheek nature of your article. You realize that Bradley has little hope against Kansas' team, so you must stoop to attacking it's history and mascot.

However, that doesn't make it less acceptable (or funny). It's just bush-league.

Attacking a school's history and tradition goes far beyond demeaning it's players. It is a personal attack on every person who has worn those colors, every student who has left Lawrence with a hard-earnded degree, and every Jayhawker that fought for the state they loved and the ideals they believed were right (during the civil war, which you did not mention in your article).

However, if you making fun of our bird makes you happy, then please proceed.

We are too thick skinned to let a childish article affect the pride we feel when we chant Rock Chalk. We know why we do it and why it is significant, we don't need others to understand.

But I don't think you would be disprespecting tradition if Bradley had any.

On a side-note, I thought the Braves were Bradley's mascot.

The hitory you failed to mention:

During the 1850s, the Kansas Territory was filled with such Jayhawks.

The area was a battleground between those wanting a state where slavery would be legal and those committed to a Free State. The factions looted, sacked, rustled cattle, stole horses, and otherwise attacked each other's settlements. For a time, ruffians on both sides were called Jayhawkers. But the name stuck to the free staters. Lawrence, where KU would be founded, was a Free State stronghold.

During the Civil War, the Jayhawk's ruffian image gave way to patriotic symbol. Kansas Governor Charles Robinson raised a regiment called the Independent Mounted Kansas Jayhawks. By war's end, Jayhawks were synonymous with the impassioned people who made Kansas a Free State. In 1886, the bird appeared in a cheer--the famous Rock Chalk chant.

kashmir6699@hotmail.com

---

Nice to see that you wasted your time serving the folks of central Illinois a nice piece of trash in your column. Based on the content of your article and the inaccuracies within, it is no wonder you are not writing for the Tribune or Sun!

Adam

sikes2@hotmail.com

---

ABSOLUTELY HILIARIOUS----I AM A KANSAS STATE FAN AND HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT BIRD OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT WAS REPULSIVE AND DORKY LOOKING.-----GREAT PIECE OF JOURNALISM, I MUST SAY.------HERE'S HOPING BRADLEY KILLS THEM.----CHRIS GRIFFIN

qualitypainting@cox.net

---

Next time why don't you use a little more time and get some facts. You neglected to mention poet Langston Hughes as a native. Perhaps you should go look up "Bleeding Kansas" in your Funk and Wagnall so you have some idea of where "Jayhawkers" not to be confused with Jayhawks come from. Also, the Rock Chalk is a chant, not a fight song. "I'm A Jayhawk" is the fight song. And since your team uses a Native American moniker, I wouldn't go trashing the mascot of another school. Perhaps you can explain your "Braves" to the students of Haskell Indian Nations University, also located in Lawrence. And you did leave out something else. . .Kansas has more MVC championships than you do. Perhaps instead of "Playing in Peoria" you should move to Normal, Illinois; an oxymoron if there ever was one.

bruce.bertsch@networkbp.net

---

I see why you've moved through the journalism ranks, climbed the ladder and made all the way to PEORIA. Congratulations. What an ignorant, arrogant piece of junk that article was. Good luck Friday....you'll need it chump.

KU 80

Bradley 65

davidatmfs@hotmail.com

---

You can save the Bucknell blast as well. You're no Bucknell.

This article might deserve page 4 in the student paper. Your editor must have risen to the top of his profession all the way to Peoria as well, to allow such amateurism. Oh well......what do you expect? It is PEORIA.

I'm sure that's the best they can get.

Regards,

David Vaughn

Kansas City

---

HA!

Been to Peoria, and it's obviously made you a very, very bitter man.

Good luck with the sweet gig at the PSJ, and I'll look forward to your follow-up column after Brad's season is over, sometime around 11pm Friday.

Rock Chalk,

Dan

dmcginley@prudentialfirstrealtors.com

---

Dear Sir:

I am writing to take exception of your commentary you wrote in the PJ Star today. I find it humorous that your whole focus in this article was bashing the state of Kansas, the university and the city of Lawrence. Maybe you should focus on the positive IE Bradley making the tournament for the first time in twenty years. Or after the Hawks win by 20 on Friday night you could write about what a nice season Bradley had. I would love to take some shots at Bradley unfortunately I don't know anything about them, and I suspect no one outside of Peoria does either. Maybe you should take in a game in Lawrence before you bash something you have never experienced. I can not believe the level of stupidity that article displayed, and Ward Cleaver or the Beaver won't be able to save Bradley on Friday night, Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!!! Good day sir

Christopher Thate

University of Kansas

Class of 2003

christopher_thate@yahoo.com

---

Idiot-

Most writers are well informed and have done extensive research before printing slop. I guess you are a big time writer in big Peoria and can print whatever the heck you want. Big time. . .Peoria. . ..ha ha.

I'm from Chicago and went to KU. I have been to Peoria many times. Peoria is an armpit compared to KU. KU's campus is set within rolling hills, trees and traditional campus buildings.

You took a cheap way to get a rise out of your readers. . ...amateur.

RwNicoll@aelfinancial.com

---

What a remarkably lame piece of journalism that was. If you were taking a stab at humor, you failed miserably. I've been to Peoria many times. Good God, what a wretched rust-belt town you live in. Have fun with your one day in the NCAA tournament. Hope your university, which was forced to eliminate its racist mascot, gets back to the tournament sometime in the next half-century

ADonley@Sosland.com

---

Mr. Luciano,

I'm sure you'll find it no shock that it took your 'article' approximately 10 minutes to reach Kansas City this morning from the booming metropolis that is your Peoria, Illinois. And I must say, as a sports journalist (or whatever heading it may be that you claim to write these pathetic diatribes under) you should have done a little more research on KU (and Lawrence, for that matter) than picking on our mascot and Hugh Beaumont.

You would have found that Lawrence was a site of Quantrill's Raid, a piece of American Civil War History that you might have learned in a good quality high school. And to quote your source, Wikipedia,

directly: "The city is known for a thriving music and art scene; the New York Times called Lawrence "the most vital music scene between Chicago and Denver" (isn't Peoria located in there somewhere?) in a travel column on February 25, 2005, and Rolling Stone named Lawrence one of the "best lil' college towns" in the country in their August 11, 2005 issue."

And that's only Lawrence. What you should know, and forgot to mention in your little slander of the Jayhawk, is that KU is the home of one of the richest histories in college basketball. You might be familiar with a guy by the name of James Naismith, who much to your shagrin I'm sure, invented the game and coached at KU. We have four NCAA titles, have been to the Final Four eight times, and have ten alumni currently playing in the NBA.

Those are a little bit better stats that those of your beloved Bradley, whom most of the people in this country had never heard of until they went to fill out their brackets on Sunday.

So good luck. Hopefully the bus ride home is a pleasant one.

Best Regards,

Julie Hall

2004 KU Alumni

julie_a_hall@msn.com

---

Mr. Luciano,

I know that as a journalist, you have the right to write whatever you want. But claiming that the Jayhawk could star in a movie like "Heckle and Jeckle Visit Brokeback Mountain" is a bit much.

And what did you say again that the Bradley Mascot is? Oh yeah, you do not have one. But you do have a title that represents the school. Ashamed to have something physical represent your school?

Speaking of mascots, Wikipedia says, "In August of 2005, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, which conducts collegiate athletics, instituted a ban on schools that use hostile and abusive American Indian nicknames from hosting postseason games, beginning February 2006. Bradley, whose athletic teams are known as the "Braves," was placed on the list. Sad. . ..in trouble with the NCAA for a name for an imaginary mascot.

You also mentioned "The blue jay, a noisy, quarrelsome thing known to rob other nests, and the sparrow hawk, a stealthy hunter. The message here: Don't turn your back on this bird." You are very correct. As a team, Kansas had 311 steals this year. A freshman had 86, and a sophomore had 71. Turn your back and you will get scored upon. Just ask Texas. . ..

Bradley has had 3 notable NBA basketball players. KU has had many, many more. Remember a guy named Wilt the Stilt?

As for the Rock Chalk Chant, when there are 16,300 fans chanting it one time, there is nothing else like it. The chant can even be heard in opposing arenas. I think the following says it all. . .

"KU's world famous Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886. Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. Legend has it that troops used the chant when fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and in World War II. At the Olympic Games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty."( http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/chant.shtml)

Now, lets see who is chanting what at about 10:30pm Friday night.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK! GO KU!

Brandon M. Perkins

brando@ku.edu

---

Hugh Beaumont was not good enough for Lawrence, but Wilt Champerlain and a slew of other All-American basketball players were. So was the inventor of the game, James Naismith. If you want to talk smack, get some ammo. Bradley?? come on. What mascot would Bradley have? I believe a good mascot would be a picture of a middle brother of three brothers, tall and lankey, kind of goofy looking with glasses and maybe plays the obo(not very well). And, assuming he had your mouth and lack of IQ and basketball credentials, his glasses would sit askew on his face with a broken lense and he would have a black eye. Perhaps you did not notice that there is a 3 just to the right of the one in your seeding. After Friday, this pathetic reject of a mascot will have to wait many months for the start of the next basketball season along with you and any other idiot who would bring a knife to a gunfight.

If you want to learn to talk smack on KU, go to Columbia, MO. Please, no amateurs.

urschrisf@everestkc.net

---

I'm sorry, but your history research seemed to fail you a bit there, Mr. Luciano. "Jayhawker" was a term used for Kansas abolitionists fighting against slavery back in the Civil War. And, the "Rock Chalk" chant was used a proud abolitionist fighting call during those times. But, I can pretty confidently assume you are a racist jerk, so it's understandable that this little snippet passed your eyes invisibly.

Good luck to you and your Bradley (no mascot?) Braves. Oh, and nothing about belittle American Indians, huh???

Go on with your white, privileged life...

Yours Truly,

Nathan A. Voth

University of Kansas Alum '2001

nvoth@hotmail.com

---

Phil,

Ripping our mascot - somewhat lame even for a "star journalist" like yourself. Anyway, why doesn't Bradley have a mascot - or are they wanting one but are afraid of the PC implications of a "Bradley Brave". Good article - kinda got the history wrong a little but not too bad. Looking forward to the game and the matchup with Bradley. As far as "Bradley should win" - don't think so even for a moment but I don't think you do either.

Bob

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU

bscalvert@columbus.rr.com

---

You set out to bash the University of Jayhawks, our mascot, and everything that is Lawrence. Although, I find it troubeling that you are already admitting defeat. How you ask? You telling the Bradley fans that "If you watch the game Friday, you'll hear the Jayhawk fight song, known as the Rock Chalk chant".

Well if you knew anything about KU, or even watched one game, then you would know that the only time KU fans start the chant is when the game is out of reach from the other team, and the win is a lock for the Jayhawks.

"The blue jay, a noisy, quarrelsome thing known to rob other nests, and the sparrow hawk, a stealthy hunter. The message here: Don't turn your back on this bird." Thanks again Mr. Luciano, thank you for giving our guards the credit they deserve. They will rob the ball right out of your nest if you Brave's put their guard down for a split second. I think you do get your point across...don't turn your backs on Mario,

Russel, Jeff "J-Hawk" Hawkins.

---

Now I understand that you probably do not know anything about college basketball, and you think the next best thing would be to rip our beloved Jayhawk, so I'm not mad. However, you don't know your facts (the rock chalk chant) and just don't make any sense (stupid bird analogy).

I've searched through the newspapers, and have listened to sportstalk radio, and I haven't heard one thing about Bradley mascot bashing.

However, I have heard good analysis of what is going to be a hard fought game between two different teams. Not different on the caliber of a team they are, but different from the respect they get. KU will always get the respect they deservee, but Bradley all year, along with other MVC member, have not received that same credit. I truly believe Bradley along with the other MVC members deserve the credit. I also believe Missouri State got snubbed.

I guess what I'm saying is that I believed Bradley fans would have a lot more class than you have shown. Bashing someones mascot is what you would expect out of Texas, Missouri, or the Universtiy of Illinois, not fans of team that are trying to earn the respect that they believe they deserved.

May the better team win Friday night,

Hawk Fan in Law School

---

You're a hack!

Your description of the Jayhawk is incomplete:

"During the Civil War, the Jayhawk's ruffian image gave way to patriotic symbol. Kansas Governor Charles Robinson raised a regiment called the Independent Mounted Kansas Jayhawks. By war's end, Jayhawks were synonymous with the impassioned people who made Kansas a free state." - ljworld.com

Your description of the Jayhawk would be the equivalent of me saying that Bradley was built on the backs of slaves because Lydia Moss Bradley's fortune ultimately came from her father's plantation. This statement may be true but it leaves out the fact that she was deeply anti-slavery.

We have another University here in Lawrence called Haskell Indian Nations University; why don't you try and explain your use of the term 'Braves' to them before you bash on the Jayhawk.

Oh and by the way, you wrote that we will be able to hear the rock chalk chant during Fridays game, typically you only hear this at the end of the game when we WIN!

rmiller@wgacpa.com

---

ChiefsRoyalsFan1@aol.com

---

Mr. Luciano,

I read with great amusement your "article" on the Kansas Jayhawks. That was superior analysis you offered on the origins of the Jayhawk, the Rock Chalk chant and Lawrence. I do have to give you credit for not making a Dorothy reference, however.

I'm a KU grad (and Journalism major) who lives in the Chicagoland area and was actually hoping to find some legitimate coverage of the game this Friday. I was disappointed to find you column instead. Trust me, I've been to Peoria and I don't think you should be throwing stones.

For your information, the term Jayhawker has it's origins tied to Lawrence's history as a critical player in the anti-slavery movement in this country. The Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk chant you bash was called the greatest college cheer by Pres. Teddy Roosevelt (the same Teddy Roosevelt who called Grand View Drive the most beautiful drive in America). And while you chose the low brow appoach with the Leave It To Beaver reference, you did choose to ignore other notable residents of Lawrence, KS Dr. James Naismith (you know, the inventor of basketball), Jim Thorpe (he's no Jim Thome) and Clyde Tombaugh who discovered Pluto. I could even throw in Erin Brockovich if I wanted to do so. I know that hardly compares to the likes Dan Fogelberg, David Ogden Stiers and a WWE Diva (Amy Weber).

I will now enjoy even more the pasting that the Kansas Jayhawks will be laying on the Bradley Politically Incorrects. See this boils down to athletes...we have them and you don't.

Enjoy that new Catapillar Museum (and Big Al's).

Patrick Keefe

patrick.keefe@reedbusiness.com

---

"If you watch the game Friday, you'll hear the Jayhawk fight song, known as the Rock Chalk chant."

By the way the Rock Chalk Chant is not a fight song and I am glad that you are predicting we will hear it on Friday.

Scott Allen

s_allen40@hotmail.com

---

I only hope that the Bradley has better judgment in putting together a basketball team than the Peoria paper does in hiring columnists. Only in your most lust-filled wet dreams could you hope to cover a basketball team like Kansas.

Chump

andrewlonard@yahoo.com

---

Phil; Enjoyed reading your article.....must be a slow day for real news. One comment.........I believe Bill Self didn't blink twice when given the opportunity to leave the great state of Illinois for, as you say,"hey, it's Kansas." Guess he must have known something that Ward didn't............. Keep up the good work.

john-o.turner@weyerhaeuser.com

---

Phil - Your article is posted on the net and I've got to hand it to you for giving the Jayhawks a good "trash talking". Pretty funny. However, as a transplanted native of Chicago Illinois and 40 year resident of Kansas, including 4 years attending KU, you are wrong. Lawrence is a great town with a great University and mascot, and our basketball team will settle that matter later this week. When I lived in Chicago I never even heard of Bradley. In fact I never heard of Bradley until last Sunday afternoon. You don't represent your school or community in a very good light.

Don McKenzie

Steam Music and Sound

3300 SW Topeka Blvd. #2

Topeka, KS 66611

PH 785-267-3771

don@steammusic.com

www.steammusic.com

---

i'm sure you are getting you're share of idiotic "retaliation" emails from all manner of jayhawk fans.

this isn't necessarily one of them.

while i appreciate the irony in which you wrote this article, i just wanted to point out a few mistakes you made. first off, the "rock chalk chant" is not our fight song. our fight song is "i'm a jayhawk." but who's counting? and you would only hear it on friday if your team is getting drubbed as it only surfaces before the game and when the 'hawks are going to win.

and given your extensive research on wiki "written by 14 year olds" pedia, i can only suppose that william s burroughs and langston hughes are too "cultured" for your audience. so nice choice of ward cleaver.

this is all in fun though. overall, i laughed a few times while reading it.

best of luck to your team on friday. 1-1 in 50+ years ain't so bad.

ecade@cadeland.com

---

Dear Dr. Phil...wait, that guy is bald. Who are you again?

bricke@estreet.com

---

Oh that's right, no one knows who you are and it's not hard to see why.

The inane drivel that you attempted to pass off as a column is an insult to any human being with the ability to read. Your pathetic attempt to degrade a school with a proud tradition reflects very poorly on yourself and the paper you attempt to write for. Your "Brokeback Mountain" reference was completely devoid of class, which is really no surprise considering your entire column was also utterly classless.

I sincerely hope that you are not an accurate representation of the citizens of Peoria. They should be embarrassed by your immature ramblings.

Do you even do any real research before spouting off? Do you know the difference between a jayhawker and a Jayhawk?

Do you know the true origin of the "Rock Chalk Chant"? Do you know that former President Theodore Roosevelt chose the "Rock Chalk Chant" to be used by athletes in the Olympics because he felt it "the greatest college cheer"?

Of course, I'm sure an amateurish writer living in Peoria is knows more than Teddy Roosevelt, right?

Do know that James Naismith (let me save you a "Google" search - he was the inventor of basketball) was KU's first basketball coach and is buried in Lawrence?

Also, I find it very hypocritical for a school with the nickname "Braves" to be bashing anyone else's mascot, especially since the school's color of choice just happens to be red. I'm sure Native Americans are thrilled about that little tidbit.

There was one humorous aspect to your article, albeit unintentional:

If you knew anything about the "Rock Chalk Chant" you would know that it is only sung when victory is well in hand. Although I'm sure you're right, we will be hearing it on Friday.

B. Ricke

bricke@estreet.com

---

Most of us around here can' stand the chickenhawks. As you will surely notice during the game, everything is a foul on the other team,but never on them. They(the basketball bandwagon fans) are a whiney bunch. Their fans rarely support any of their other programs. It's kind of funny,but many chickenhawks will tell you they are huge bball fans and football fans of another school--K-state,Oklahoma,ect.. And actually, I think the jayhawk is really a large DoDo bird. Please make them extinct in the 1st round!!!

14truman@cox.net

---

Mr. Luciano,

In response to your article denigrating the fine mascot of the University of Kansas...

I have to say as a graduate in English at that same quality institution,

"Oh, Yeah?"

Sincerely, Lawless Border Ruffian

BRIAN.PFEIFF@cigna.com

tk13
03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
ROFL This is fantastic. The meltdown should Bradley make a game of it will be hilarious...

redbrian
03-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Napoleonic complex
noun

Napoleon was actually avg. height for his day, so how could he have had a short man’s complex (just a little food for thought)?

Oh and I thought the piece was rather funny.

OldTownChief
03-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Nice to see some fans took the article for what it's worth.

leviw
03-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Nice way to try and rally the troops. Seriously, you think Bradley will beat KU ? Using a 1950 game as refrence to your domination?

Signed,

royc75@hotmail.com

ROFL

Saulbadguy
03-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Haha..I didn't even see that, I just skimmed through some of them.

Roy is a great, kind, nice guy...but damn, he can be a dipshit.

DJay23
03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Is that like the longest post ever?

OldTownChief
03-15-2006, 09:54 PM
I'd be willing to bet a few others came from here as well.

ROYC75
03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Haha..I didn't even see that, I just skimmed through some of them.

Roy is a great, kind, nice guy...but damn, he can be a dipshit.

Nice words then you called me a dipshit ? Ha Ha , I laughed thru it , it was creative and then realized he screwed up. He only gave our players a little more motivation. Anybody remember the Longhorns getting a trophy and we didn't. The kids were pissed off about it.

His only purpose to write this crap was for humor and to get his only shot in at KU before the waxing Bradley is going to get Friday night.

leviw
03-15-2006, 10:05 PM
I'd be willing to bet a few others came from here as well.

I want to clear my name from being a possible e-mail contributer. I thought the column was funny. It was obviously a joke, had nothing to do with sports, just simply trying to get some laughs out of the deal and possibly a rise out of the KU fans (which obviously worked quite well). Good for him.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Nice words then you called me a dipshit ? Ha Ha , I laughed thru it , it was creative and then realized he screwed up. He only gave our players a little more motivation. Anybody remember the Longhorns getting a trophy and we didn't. The kids were pissed off about it.

His only purpose to write this crap was for humor and to get his only shot in at KU before the waxing Bradley is going to get Friday night.
Nice words cause I mean them.

I don't see how he screwed up. He did exactly what he wanted to do.

Skip Towne
03-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Is that like the longest post ever?
I hope it holds the record for 100 years. That was waaay too long. It took forever to scroll past all that.

ROYC75
03-15-2006, 10:59 PM
I want to clear my name from being a possible e-mail contributer. I thought the column was funny. It was obviously a joke, had nothing to do with sports, just simply trying to get some laughs out of the deal and possibly a rise out of the KU fans (which obviously worked quite well). Good for him.

It was to put down the mascot but he brought sports into it when he mention the dominance over KU from 1 game in 1950 .

It was humor at it's finest, a way of getting his only shot at KU, that is if KU wins on Friday night.

IMHO, I think caused Braley a little more harm than good. The KU players could be pissed off about it..... could be. BTA, they probally laughed at it as well.

Like I told him, a nice way to rally his troops and fans but it just might backfire on them.

ROYC75
03-15-2006, 11:00 PM
I hope it holds the record for 100 years. That was waaay too long. It took forever to scroll past all that.

Really, I bet you aged another year reading it. :D

No doubt he got some attention........ just what he wanted. Crap, I didn't read all the emails...... too long.

Dartgod
03-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Most importantly, the article was horribly timed. I wouldn't expect an employee of a newspaper to be aware of the news, but the city of Lawrence was hit by a microburst just days ago that did significant damage. On top of the $6 million dollars of damage done to the university, many residents of Lawrence are only now beginning to regain power so that they may proceed with rebuilding roofs and cleaning up after the destruction. Good timing, Mr. Luciano. I applaud your sensitivity following this disaster.
This one was the best. ROFL

03-15-2006, 11:18 PM

I don't know, the movie theatre thread has a pretty damn long post in it too. :deevee:

leviw
03-16-2006, 01:00 AM
It was to put down the mascot but he brought sports into it when he mention the dominance over KU from 1 game in 1950 .

It was humor at it's finest, a way of getting his only shot at KU, that is if KU wins on Friday night.

IMHO, I think caused Braley a little more harm than good. The KU players could be pissed off about it..... could be. BTA, they probally laughed at it as well.

Like I told him, a nice way to rally his troops and fans but it just might backfire on them.

You (and a lot of other people, apparently) need to take a step back and look at this for what it was: A silly column poking fun at the opposing team. I doubt one player read this, and if one did, I doubt it would pump him full of much motivation. I'd hope being on the biggest stage in college athletics would provide all of that they need.

Dartgod
03-16-2006, 06:32 AM
You (and a lot of other people, apparently) need to take a step back and look at this for what it was: A silly column poking fun at the opposing team. I doubt one player read this, and if one did, I doubt it would pump him full of much motivation. I'd hope being on the biggest stage in college athletics would provide all of that they need.
True, but printing it so soon after that devastating microburst was pretty classless. I understand that, as I type this, FEMA and The Red Cross are still at work, assisting college students whose beer stash was destroyed.

OldTownChief
03-16-2006, 07:05 AM
True, but printing it so soon after that devastating microburst was pretty classless. I understand that, as I type this, FEMA and The Red Cross are still at work, assisting college students whose beer stash was destroyed.

Time to bring in the beer looter dude.

Dartgod
03-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Time to bring in the beer looter dude.
Heh...

Eleazar
03-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Wow, nice of the KU fans to completely show their ass in his mailbag.

greg63
03-16-2006, 07:57 AM
...The term arose from settlers from Illinois (ironical, ain't it?). Its origin isn't clear, but "jayhawk" came to refer to ruffians with the habit of robbing, looting, and general lawlessness...As apposed to "Sooners" who cheated in the Oklahoma land rush for land that we stole from the Native Americans fair and square. :p

ROYC75
03-16-2006, 08:41 AM

WOW, just WOW. You obviously do not know me at all. I was not bitter. It was funny, but at the same time it is a worthless column. His info was wrong. It was nothing more than an attempt of comedy. To paint a picture, a false picture of a mascot. In as much, his attempt to throw in an actual sporting event.

It was a column for the Bradley Braves to have fun with, all well knowing that Friday night they could get dumped very quick.

As for the players, I bet one, or some of them did here about it. I doubt that they need any other motivation, I think Bill Self will have them ready to play.

As you said, It was a silly column poking fun at the opposing team and their mascot.

leviw
03-16-2006, 09:11 AM
WOW, just WOW. You obviously do not know me at all. I was not bitter. It was funny, but at the same time it is a worthless column. His info was wrong. It was nothing more than an attempt of comedy. To paint a picture, a false picture of a mascot. In as much, his attempt to throw in an actual sporting event.

It was a column for the Bradley Braves to have fun with, all well knowing that Friday night they could get dumped very quick.

As for the players, I bet one, or some of them did here about it. I doubt that they need any other motivation, I think Bill Self will have them ready to play.

As you said, It was a silly column poking fun at the opposing team and their mascot.

No, I don't know you. Never claimed to know you. No large desire to get to know you. That wasn't my point. Yes, it was a worthless column that only small-minded people would give a second thought to. It's a small-city newspaper writer (news columnist mind you, not even sports, so forgive the wrong info). Why shouldn't the columnist, the people, the fans, the players, the coach, the boosters, the school teachers, the pupils, the pupils' kittens, under-age drinkers, crossing guards and Missouri fans not have fun with this. Yes, Bradley may very well get "dumped" by halftime tomorrow, but everyone Bradley related should have fun while they're there. Because who knows when it will happen again. The fun includes making fun of the other team, their mascot and anything else non-weather related.

What's the difference between this and a Lawrence-Journal World columnist poking fun at Missouri or K-State? Bottom line: It need not be taken seriously by anybody.

leviw
03-16-2006, 09:14 AM

I agree. Classless. Bring out the tar and feathers.

ROYC75
03-16-2006, 09:28 AM
No, I don't know you. Never claimed to know you. No large desire to get to know you. That wasn't my point. Yes, it was a worthless column that only small-minded people would give a second thought to. It's a small-city newspaper writer (news columnist mind you, not even sports, so forgive the wrong info). Why shouldn't the columnist, the people, the fans, the players, the coach, the boosters, the school teachers, the pupils, the pupils' kittens, under-age drinkers, crossing guards and Missouri fans not have fun with this. Yes, Bradley may very well get "dumped" by halftime tomorrow, but everyone Bradley related should have fun while they're there. Because who knows when it will happen again. The fun includes making fun of the other team, their mascot and anything else non-weather related.

What's the difference between this and a Lawrence-Journal World columnist poking fun at Missouri or K-State? Bottom line: It need not be taken seriously by anybody.

Agreed, nice to know we are on the same page now, my day will go so much better .
:rolleyes: :D

leviw
03-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Agreed, nice to know we are on the same page now, my day will go so much better .
:rolleyes: :D

HAHA. Mine, too. Here's something I know we can agree on looking ahead to tomorrow....

GO HAWKS!

Lzen
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM

ROFL

Lzen
03-16-2006, 11:13 AM

Which is exactly why this team will not get Bucknelled this year.

StcChief
03-16-2006, 11:26 AM
yeah...
Bucknell is going to Bucknell somebody else this year....

jspchief
03-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, at least if Bradley wins, this guy's mailbag provides a nice list of people to e-mail and rub it in. :)

Bearcat
03-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Which is exactly why this team will not get Bucknelled this year.

I think there's another term for it.... upset, maybe? :shrug:

Anyway, if Kansas loses in the first weekend... if it's Bradley, Pittsburgh, or Kent State... we can look forward to 1000 posts about how disappointing it is, how they didn't live up to expectations, how they choked, etc. Because you know, this team is supposed to go to the Final Four :rolleyes: :shake:

jspchief
03-16-2006, 11:40 AM
I think there's another term for it.... upset, maybe? :shrug:

Anyway, if Kansas loses in the first weekend... if it's Bradley, Pittsburgh, or Kent State... we can look forward to 1000 posts about how disappointing it is, how they didn't live up to expectations, how they choked, etc. Because you know, this team is supposed to go to the Final Four :rolleyes: :shake:Forgive me if I won't feel sympathy if it happens.

KU fans are on the same level of Bronco fans when it comes to cockiness and arrogance. The responses to this article are a prime example. They're just too easy to hate.

Saulbadguy
03-16-2006, 11:41 AM
KU fans are on the same level of Bronco fans when it comes to cockiness and arrogance. The responses to this article are a prime example. They're just too easy to hate.
Very very true. I don't mind KU that much, and i'll be halfassed rooting for them and the rest of the XII in the tournament. KU fans are the ones that irritate me. Just like Bronco fans.

Bearcat
03-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Forgive me if I won't feel sympathy if it happens.

My entire point is that we don't need sympathy because Kansas fans should be "just happy to be here"... but, knowing how any group of fans can cave into the hype, and how opposing fans can be idiots, if this group of kids don't play like champions under the spotlight they'll be failures :rolleyes:

Lzen
03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
C'mon, not all KU fans are like. A lot of the cocky and arrogant ones are the young fans. Hell, young people tend to be that way, period. Doesn't matter if they're sports fans or not. Add those types to the fanbase of a team that has had a lot of success over their history and you have cockiness and arrogance overflowing from some KU fans. But really, this is no different than any other team with a winning tradition.

Lzen
03-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Forgive me if I won't feel sympathy if it happens.

And did you read a lot of those responses? Quite a few KU fans told him the article made them laugh.

Personally, I know it was supposed to be cute. I guess a couple parts were. However, overall I thought it was bush league. A couple things in there were over the top, IMO. But I guess we all have different things that are important to us.

Of course, pretty much all the KSU and MU fans found it amusing. That didn't come as any surprise.

Lzen
03-16-2006, 11:51 AM
My entire point is that we don't need sympathy because Kansas fans should be "just happy to be here"... but, knowing how any group of fans can cave into the hype, and how opposing fans can be idiots, if this group of kids don't play like champions under the spotlight they'll be failures :rolleyes:

I think this team has really surpassed most expectations after that horrible start. :thumb: I'm not caving into the hype because I've watched enough NCAA Tourneys over the years to know that on any given day a low seed can beat a high seed.

Saulbadguy
03-16-2006, 01:41 PM
C'mon, not all KU fans are like. A lot of the cocky and arrogant ones are the young fans. Hell, young people tend to be that way, period. Doesn't matter if they're sports fans or not. Add those types to the fanbase of a team that has had a lot of success over their history and you have cockiness and arrogance overflowing from some KU fans. But really, this is no different than any other team with a winning tradition.
Yep. You are definately not the arrogant type. However, it stays true with a large percentage of the fan base. Here is what I think...(satire)

KU fans = Denver Bronco fans. Arrogant, shit-doesn't stink attitude. They won't acknowledge that their title(s) are tainted. They won't acknowledge their rivals, unless it is convienent for them. They won't appear if their team is losing, but be in full force when they are winning.

K-State fans = San Diego Charger fans. Just started crawling out of the woodwork when their teams started winning. Football has been bad for many years. Basketball, once good, but more of a Dan Fouts type of good.

MU fans = Raiders fans. No comment.

ROYC75
03-17-2006, 08:40 AM
KU fans = Denver Bronco fans. Arrogant, shit-doesn't stink attitude. They won't acknowledge that their title(s) are tainted. They won't acknowledge their rivals, unless it is convienent for them. They won't appear if their team is losing, but be in full force when they are winning.

Talking about being full of shit ? What a stupid comment that was. Kansas titles being tainted ? Denver , yes ! KU, Uh,no.

It doesn't matter where you go, what team you find, basketball, football, baseball, college or pro, you will find good and bad fans alike. Period, even KSU fans. That's just the way it is.

I would call you a egg sucking mule, but that title belongs to Missouri. We could always go back to calling KSU fans ( as we did back in the 60's ) the shitty kitty's without a titty to suck on. I want to think we have grown up a bit, we now just call you guys pussies from the west . :D

Eleazar
03-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Ok, I can't resist.

Mr. Laz
03-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Ok, I can't resist.
dick

Saulbadguy
03-17-2006, 11:00 PM
LMAO

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:03 PM
LMAO

When's KU's spring game?

KillerB's
03-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Man, I wish we had Roy back

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Man, I wish we had Roy back

Losing in the Sweet 16 is no better than losing in the first round. Just delays the sour feelings another week.

DenverChief
03-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Bill Self SUCKS!

Saulbadguy
03-17-2006, 11:07 PM
When's KU's spring game?
Dunno. I know KU is coming to Topeka for a scrimmage on April 1st. I might have to check that out.

Isn't it odd KU fans are pining for football season?

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Dunno. I know KU is coming to Topeka for a scrimmage on April 1st. I might have to check that out.

Defending Fort Worth Bowl champs, baby!

Yeah, it's sad.

Miles
Losing in the Sweet 16 is no better than losing in the first round. Just delays the sour feelings another week.

Sure it is.

leviw
Sure it is.

Roy's national titles at KU: 0
Self's national titles at KU: 0

Tie ballgame.

KillerB's
03-17-2006, 11:11 PM

Tie ballgame.

Yea but look at the two... Roy wins a Championship as soon as he leaves, loses his 7 top players , then takes them to a top 10 team in the nation.... who is the better coach?

Skip Towne

So what season is K-State pining for? Hahahahahaha You got nothing!!

ChiTown
Bradley ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Yea but look at the two... Roy wins a Championship as soon as he leaves, loses his 7 top players , then takes them to a top 10 team in the nation.... who is the better coach?

Roy won nothing at KU. You want him back, but he didn't win anything HERE.

Saulbadguy
03-17-2006, 11:13 PM
So what season is K-State pining for? Hahahahahaha You got nothing!!
I'm surprised you are here, Skip. Props.

Eleazar
03-17-2006, 11:14 PM
She said, you're not the only one but you're the best Bradley.. bo bo

Saulbadguy
The KU womens team is still in it. KU fans still have a chance to go to Allen Field House this year.

KillerB's

Maybe WE as fans didn't do enough for Roy..... Boy I miss Roy.... we weren't total losers when he was here.

This is pathetic and I am ashamed to call myself a Jayhawk right now

Eleazar
03-17-2006, 11:15 PM
The KU womens team is still in it. KU fans still have a chance to go to Allen Field House this year.

I don't think you saw the game; they lost to Bradley.

(ok, I'll stop trolling now)

ChiTown

Yeah, but he typically got out of the 1st rd................... ROFL

leviw
Maybe WE as fans didn't do enough for Roy..... Boy I miss Roy.... we weren't total losers when he was here.

Now we agree. I'm ashamed you call yourself a Jayhawk, too.

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:16 PM

They'll be done on Sunday, so you better hurry.

Saulbadguy
03-17-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't think you saw the game; they lost to Bradley.

(ok, I'll stop trolling now)
Please don't.

Miles
03-17-2006, 11:17 PM

Tie ballgame.

For some reason I suspect most fans would prefer to see their team making it as far as the championship game rather than gettting tossed in the first round in major upsets.

KillerB's
Now we agree. I'm ashamed you call yourself a Jayhawk, too.

Bucknell and now Bradley???? and you are a proud Jayhawk fan??? WTF is up with that, are you getting used to losing? Not me I want ROY back!

Saulbadguy
They'll be done on Sunday, so you better hurry.
Who do they play?

K-State women advance as well. HELL YES!

leviw
Yeah, but he typically got out of the 1st rd................... ROFL
What's the difference? Not winning a championship is not winning a championship, no matter how you spin it.

Skip Towne
03-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Bradley ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
Where do you have room to laugh? Your team is the worst piece of shit in the Big XII. Even Baylor has a National Championship in something. Your POS team has nothing.

Bearcat

Roy was handed a ton of talent that was desperate to get on board with a winning coach. Self was handed a talented group of Seniors that didn't buy into his style because "if it ain't broke...".

Both coaches exceeded expectations this year.... KU lost by a narrow margin as a 4 seed, UNC won by a narrow margin as a 3 seed.

At this point, it's apples and oranges. Now, if Roy takes these kids to the Elite Eight or Final Four...

leviw
Who do they play?

K-State women advance as well. HELL YES!

KU plays Ole Miss at AFH on Sunday.

KSU plays the winner of Fresno St/UNLV at Bramlage Tue. or Wed.

Saulbadguy
Where do you have room to laugh? Your team is the worst piece of shit in the Big XII. Even Baylor has a National Championship in something. Your POS team has nothing.
Prune juice, Skip.

KillerB's
03-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Roy was handed a ton of talent that was desperate to get on board with a winning coach. Self was handed a talented group of Seniors that didn't buy into his style because "if it ain't broke...".

Both coaches exceeded expectations this year.... KU lost by a narrow margin as a 4 seed, UNC won by a narrow margin as a 3 seed.

At this point, it's apples and oranges. Now, if Roy takes these kids to the Elite Eight or Final Four...

ROY has nothing but a bunch of freshmen.... if they would have lost it would have been no big deal because they are suppose to, they are FRESHMEN.

KU is the Choke of the decade in my opinion, and we will never win with Self

Skip Towne

We're ashamed to have you as a fan, n00b.

Frazod
Gayhawks one and done. And now, blessed silence. :)

Saulbadguy
03-17-2006, 11:21 PM
KU plays Ole Miss at AFH on Sunday.

KSU plays the winner of Fresno St/UNLV at Bramlage Tue. or Wed.
Cool. Since Half Sport U's flagship sport is now over, maybe the KU fans can turn their attention to the womens program and get more than 1k at AFH.

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:21 PM
ROY has nothing but a bunch of freshmen.... if they would have lost it would have been no big deal because they are suppose to, they are FRESHMEN.

They never won under Roy.

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Cool. Since Half Sport U's flagship sport is now over, maybe the KU fans can turn their attention to the womens program and get more than 1k at AFH.

Doubt it.

Braincase
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

ChiTown

Yeah. But I'm happy and drunk. You're old, angry and watching your overrated POS team get their ass handed to them in the 1st round............again ROFL

KillerB's
We're ashamed to have you as a fan, n00b.

Well you are a class act , you 37k post loser, Have you no life ? Ku SUCKS balls and after another one and done anybody that don't think so sucks BALLS too, you included

KillerB's
03-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Yeah. But I'm happy and drunk. You're old, angry and watching your overrated POS team get their ass handed to them in the 1st round............again ROFL

Tell him again, I am so mad I can't

Skip Towne
03-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Prune juice, Skip.
Shouldn't your team at least be a credit to the league before you're allowed to cast stones? You're team is an embarrassment to the Big XII and has been for quite some time.

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Well you are a class act , you 37k post loser, Have you no life ? Ku SUCKS balls and after another one and done anybody that don't think so sucks BALLS too, you included

Nice 8th post, n00b. What's the point you're trying to make here? You're not a KU fan, obviously?

Saulbadguy
03-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Shouldn't your team at least be a credit to the league before you're allowed to cast stones? You're team is an embarrassment to the Big XII and has been for quite some time.
Haha, your and idiot!

KillerB's
03-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Nice 8th post, n00b. What's the point you're trying to make here? You're not a KU fan, obviously?

I was a KU fan before this dipwad took over as coach, I am officially a TARHEEL fan now because they have a winner for a coach

KillerB's
03-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Haha, your and idiot!

That cockjockey(skiperr) is a cable running homo too

leviw
03-17-2006, 11:28 PM
I was a KU fan before this dipwad took over as coach, I am officially a TARHEEL fan now because they have a winner for a coach
ROFL

Your and idiot, dos.

Phobia
03-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Tell him again, I am so mad I can't

Don't be mad, at least you're showing your conquerers proper respect with your board username. KillerB's = Bradley & Bucknell

KillerB's
03-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Don't be mad, at least you're showing your conquerers proper respect with your board username. KillerB's = Bradley & Bucknell
Very good Grasshopper :)

Skip Towne
03-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Well, you ignorant 9 post n00b, I at least has the stones to declare my team 5 years before you did. You're 14 years old aren't you? You've never had the balls to post here before. I'll see to it you have a pleasant stay here you ignorant f*ck.

Bearcat
03-17-2006, 11:31 PM

Roy's young kids = no expectations

Self's young kids = chokers

Gotcha :spock:

KillerB's
03-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Well, you ignorant 9 post n00b, I at least has the stones to declare my team 5 years before you did. You're 14 years old aren't you? You've never had the balls to post here before. I'll see to it you have a pleasant stay here you ignorant f*ck.

Only stones you have are the ones you pick from your ass from dragging cable wire under trailers you dipsh*t

sedated
03-17-2006, 11:32 PM
F*ck everyone who doubts KU.

we will be back and better than ever next year.

at least now everyone will stay, cuz everyone played like shit tonite.

Frazod
03-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Only stones you have are the ones you pick from your ass from dragging cable wire under trailers you dipsh*t

I kind of like this one. ROFL

Nzoner
Gayhawks one and done. And now, blessed silence. :)

And to a team from MISSOURI Valley

Okay I had to reach with that one but it still feels good. :D

thebrad84

That comment makes no sense what-so-ever. KU's starting 5 consists of 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores (Rush, Chalmers, Wright, Kaun, and Robinson), and UNC's starting 5 consists of 3 freshmen, 1 junior, and 1 senior (Hansbrough, Green, Terry, Frasor, and Noel). So to say they would have an excuse because they are a "bunch of freshmen," doesn't that allow Kansas to use the same excuse dip$hit? Kansas is young. Very, very young, and they played like it tonight. It happens. As a "KU fan," I thought you would understand that, but obviously your intelligence level is below average. Very below average.

thebrad84
03-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Roy's young kids = no expectations

Self's young kids = chokers

Gotcha :spock:

Exactly my point. He's a dip$hit.

siberian khatru
03-17-2006, 11:36 PM

ROFL

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Misdaad/GoodSpider.jpg

"Why don't you go f*ck yourself, Tommy?"

Frazod
03-17-2006, 11:37 PM
And to a team from MISSOURI Valley

Okay I had to reach with that one but it still feels good. :D

Hey, we suck too, but at least we do it quietly. :D

jettio
03-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Luciano's public display of the KU fan's e-mails are the funniest thing out of Peoria since Richard Pryor.

Bruck Fadley & Buck F*cknell are hoisting one to St. Patrick tonight.

|Zach|
03-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Oh wow.

CoMoChief
03-18-2006, 12:06 AM
They never won under Roy.

They sure as **** never lost in the first round either.

leviw
03-18-2006, 12:08 AM
They sure as **** never lost in the first round either.

...and we all felt so ****ing great when they lost in the second round, sweet 16, elite 8, final four and championship game, didn't we?

ChiefaRoo
03-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I was rooting for KU tonight but now that a very good Valley school has thoroughly beaten KU I'd appreciate it if the ultra B12 elitist homers would acknowledge that damn good b-ball is played in places like Peoria, Wichita, Carbondale and Omaha.

KU fans as a fellow Kansan I'd like to say we WSU fans would appreciate your support against Tenn. tomorrow.

Sure-Oz
03-18-2006, 02:18 AM
F*ck everyone who doubts KU.

we will be back and better than ever next year.

at least now everyone will stay, cuz everyone played like shit tonite.
Huge choke job, ****ed up my brackets, dumb worthless ****s.

THis isnt bucknell its ****in Bradley what THE ****... :cuss:

douch bags

Sure-Oz
03-18-2006, 02:19 AM
holy shit

greg63
03-18-2006, 02:30 AM

Bandwagoner. :shake:

BIG K
03-18-2006, 02:33 AM
Bandwagoner. :shake:

How's the bar-b-que coming along?

:)

greg63
03-18-2006, 02:35 AM
I was rooting for KU tonight but now that a very good Valley school has thoroughly beaten KU I'd appreciate it if the ultra B12 elitist homers would acknowledge that damn good b-ball is played in places like Peoria, Wichita, Carbondale and Omaha.

KU fans as a fellow Kansan I'd like to say we WSU fans would appreciate your support against Tenn. tomorrow.
:thumb:

I actually have rooted for both teams, and now that KU is out of it I will be concentrating all my support for WSU; I just hope it gives them better fortune then it did the Hawks.

greg63
03-18-2006, 02:39 AM
How's the bar-b-que coming along?

Don't much care for the crow, but sedatives help the digestive process. ;) :D

Actually the cow that we're raising on my in-laws farm will be ready for processing soon. :)

BIG K
03-18-2006, 02:45 AM
Don't much care for the crow, but sedatives help the digestive process. ;) :D

Actually the cow that we're raising on my in-laws farm will be ready for processing soon. :)

Ask for a 'Tri-Tip' cut when she's ready for processing. I am very interested in what they will say. If they know what it is, you will thank me later I am sure. :p

greg63
03-18-2006, 02:49 AM
Ask for a 'Tri-Tip' cut when she's ready for processing. I am very interested in what they will say. If they know what it is, you will thank me later I am sure. :p

ROFL :thumb:

luv
03-18-2006, 02:50 AM
IF they know what it is? Just what do you take us midwesterners for?

greg63
03-18-2006, 02:55 AM

Tell 'em Luv. :D

Gnite to you both!

BIG K
03-18-2006, 02:55 AM

Do you really want me to answer that? ROFL No kiddin', Tri-Tip is a California thing. I am hoping it has made it's way 'back there'. It is really, to die for...

BIG K
03-18-2006, 02:59 AM
Tell 'em Luv. :D

Gnite to you both!

When did we become enemies? That's it! No more bar-b-que tips for you! May your meat and potatos be crispy and without flavor.....

J/K

luv
03-18-2006, 03:07 AM
When did we become enemies? That's it! No more bar-b-que tips for you! May your meat and potatos be crispy and without flavor.....

J/K
Was that an ATTEMPT at trash talk? :p

Pitt Gorilla
03-18-2006, 03:09 AM
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Signed,

royc75@hotmail.com

---

dont you realize all you r doing is firing up our players more, which are all 2 talent levels above any bradley player, and making yourself look like an idiot? i mean what was the point of your article? it didnt even make sense.

bigmack@mail.ku.edu

---

That was a funny column. (Whatever happened to the Braves?) It will be fun to destroy Bradley.

But don't take it personal.

Mark Johnson

Wichita, Kansas

Rock Chalk!

mark@ewjohnsoninc.com
---
Did anyone else notice roy in the email responses? 20+ points, Roy?
ROFL

Sure-Oz
03-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Jayhawk Fans got ****ing OWNED and played by their own damn team, It's just crazy how shit went down, you knew the apocalypse would be upon us if UCONN lost too lol

BIG K
03-18-2006, 03:12 AM
Was that an ATTEMPt at trash talk? :p

I'm keeping it G-rated cause of the six year old in my house! Don't make me open a 55-gallon drum a whoopass on ya!

SLAG
03-18-2006, 03:13 AM
I'm keeping it G-rated cause of the six year old in my house! Don't make me open a 55-gallon drum a whoopass on ya!

You really should work on your trash talkin educatte

OldTownChief
03-18-2006, 03:19 AM
I missed the game. Did KU beat them by 30 like skip said they would?

OldTownChief
03-18-2006, 03:20 AM
When is KU's next game?

luv
03-18-2006, 03:24 AM
When is KU's next game?
I know you're joking, right?

BIG K
03-18-2006, 03:25 AM
You really should work on your trash talkin educatte

Yeah, I know. I'm going to visit some of my relatives in Kansas this summer at their trailer park and I'm hoping they can help me with my trash talkin edi-kit...

OldTownChief
03-18-2006, 03:26 AM
What a bunch of PUSSIES, They Started the season PUSSY babies and endend the season worse. Little girls.

luv
03-18-2006, 03:26 AM
Yeah, I know. I'm going to visit some of my relatives in Kansas this summer at their trailer park and I'm hoping they can help me with my trash talkin edi-kit...
Don't forget to teach them about tri-tips. That way, someone from the midwest will know what one is.

Hammock Parties
03-18-2006, 03:29 AM
What a bunch of PUSSIES, They Started the season PUSSY babies and endend the season worse. Little girls.

What are you talking about? whos your team?

OldTownChief
03-18-2006, 03:31 AM
JaHaunks Brokeback Mountian

OldTownChief
03-18-2006, 03:32 AM
What are you talking about? whos your team?

I'm a Hawks fan

OldTownChief
03-18-2006, 03:32 AM
i'm pissed

BIG K
03-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Don't forget to teach them about tri-tips. That way, someone from the midwest will know what one is.

Okay Ice Princess, I get the point.....

OldTownChief
03-18-2006, 03:38 AM
Do they have to? Would it make a difference if they did?

Hammock Parties
03-18-2006, 03:38 AM
I'm a Hawks fan

Bah, no you arent. well your not acting like it really

luv
03-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Okay Ice Princess, I get the point.....

Whoa...never been called that before. Bitch, dork, ignorant...but Ice Princess?

luv
03-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Bah, no you arent. well your not acting like it really
It's called sarcasm.

BIG K
03-18-2006, 03:47 AM
Whoa...never been called that before. Bitch, dork, ignorant...but Ice Princess?

Like 'Tri-Tip", it's a California thing......

Keep it coming Princess, oh and slag.... :)

CoMoChief
03-18-2006, 03:53 AM

Thats the most retarded thing Ive ever heard.

Hammock Parties
03-18-2006, 03:56 AM
It's called sarcasm.

is that so captain dipshit?

luv
03-18-2006, 03:56 AM
Like 'Tri-Tip", it's a California thing......

Keep it coming Princess, oh and slag.... :)
Beef Tri-Tip
From Derrick Riches,
Your Guide to Barbecues & Grilling.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
One of the best cuts you are probably not buying
For years the beef tri-tip found itself being ground into hamburger or cut into cubes and sold as soup meat. The reason for this is that there is only one per cow and in the days when butchers carved their own meat it was considered a waste of display space to sell the tri-tip by itself. Now that the carving is done by packers you are much more likely to find the tri-tip at your local butcher. If you don't, ask for it. This often over looked piece of meat is not only relatively inexpensive but also very flavorful and has become a favorite amongst the few in the know.
The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 ½ to 2 ½ pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. Not only does it have a great flavor, but also tends to be lower in fat than most other cuts, so it's a good lean cut.

Of course this means that it can dry out faster, but with a good marinade you really can't go wrong with this cut. Particularly good flavors for tri-tip are Southwestern or Asian.
The versatility of tri-tips is another factor that makes them great. Uncut it's a fantastic roast that should be grill indirectly for 30 to 40 minutes. You can also cut the tri-tip into 1-inch steaks that grill up in about 8 minutes over a low to medium direct heat. As always, let your steak (or roast) sit for 5 to 10 minutes before you carve or serve it. This lets the juices return and evens out the heat.

Because tri-tip is lean, be careful not to over cook it, particularly when preparing the full roast. Medium is as far as you should go with this cut. Use a meat thermometer to make sure you get it right where you want it. If you are used to grilling other cuts, this one can throw some grillers off by appearing underdone when it is ready to serve.

I know a lot of people who complain about not being able to find this cut. In past almost all of it was shipped to California or ground for sirloin burger patties. With the recent interest however, you can find this cut in many places including the large shopping club stores like Costco and Sam's Club. If you have to, try calling around. It's a great cut of meat and worth the search.

Hammock Parties
03-18-2006, 03:57 AM
People are dumbasses... its a little hard to see if somebody is being sarcastic when i dont know the guy one bit and he says something that i dont know if its true or not... i dont see his expressions...

luv
03-18-2006, 04:01 AM
is that so captain dipshit?
That's Miss Dipshit, tyvm.

I don't know him either, but in the very next post after that one, he said he was pissed. I'm just putting two and two together.

BIG K
03-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Beef Tri-Tip
From Derrick Riches,
Your Guide to Barbecues & Grilling.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
One of the best cuts you are probably not buying
For years the beef tri-tip found itself being ground into hamburger or cut into cubes and sold as soup meat. The reason for this is that there is only one per cow and in the days when butchers carved their own meat it was considered a waste of display space to sell the tri-tip by itself. Now that the carving is done by packers you are much more likely to find the tri-tip at your local butcher. If you don't, ask for it. This often over looked piece of meat is not only relatively inexpensive but also very flavorful and has become a favorite amongst the few in the know.
The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 ½ to 2 ½ pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. Not only does it have a great flavor, but also tends to be lower in fat than most other cuts, so it's a good lean cut.

Of course this means that it can dry out faster, but with a good marinade you really can't go wrong with this cut. Particularly good flavors for tri-tip are Southwestern or Asian.
The versatility of tri-tips is another factor that makes them great. Uncut it's a fantastic roast that should be grill indirectly for 30 to 40 minutes. You can also cut the tri-tip into 1-inch steaks that grill up in about 8 minutes over a low to medium direct heat. As always, let your steak (or roast) sit for 5 to 10 minutes before you carve or serve it. This lets the juices return and evens out the heat.

Because tri-tip is lean, be careful not to over cook it, particularly when preparing the full roast. Medium is as far as you should go with this cut. Use a meat thermometer to make sure you get it right where you want it. If you are used to grilling other cuts, this one can throw some grillers off by appearing underdone when it is ready to serve.

I know a lot of people who complain about not being able to find this cut. In past almost all of it was shipped to California or ground for sirloin burger patties. With the recent interest however, you can find this cut in many places including the large shopping club stores like Costco and Sam's Club. If you have to, try calling around. It's a great cut of meat and worth the search.

Wow! Not only do you guys 'back east' have Tri-Tip, but you have internet too!?

Sorry, just being a D*ck!

Hammock Parties
03-18-2006, 04:04 AM
That's Miss Dipshit, tyvm.

I don't know him either, but in the very next post after that one, he said he was pissed. I'm just putting two and two together.

Sorry, my emotions are just running high right now, i dont usually internet smack because its pointless. I didnt notice he said he was pissed heh. and women can be captains too right? :-)

luv
03-18-2006, 04:05 AM
Sorry, just being a D*ck!
Seems to be a lot of that going around.

luv
03-18-2006, 04:05 AM
Sorry, my emotions are just running high right now, i dont usually internet smack because its pointless. I didnt notice he said he was pissed heh. and women can be captains too right? :-)
It happens.

Hammock Parties
03-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Man... Im really close to just giving up on sports now... i dont think my blood pressure goes over too well during football season and college basketball season, because Chiefs and Jayhawks just seem to get my hopes up to only let me down, and when i go down i go down hard...

BIG K
03-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Man... Im really close to just giving up on sports now... i dont think my blood pressure goes over too well during football season and college basketball season, because Chiefs and Jayhawks just seem to get my hopes up to only let me down, and when i go down i go down hard...

Why don't you tell us more? You will find that everyone here is pretty understanding.

Hammock Parties
03-18-2006, 04:12 AM
Lol oh yah? I definitely see none of that most of the time, lol.

luv
03-18-2006, 04:13 AM
and women can be captains too right? :-)
See, I completely overlooked that part of your post. Someone definitely trained you well. :p

I picked KU to win it all about 4 years ago. If they would've won, I would have won our bracket pool. Instead, they lost. The advice that the guy who won gave me was to never put my money on Kansas cuz they'd let me down every time. Good thing I took that advice this year, although I definitely had them going beyond the first round on all of my brackets. :banghead: