PDA

View Full Version : National writers are so knowledgable...

htismaqe
03-16-2006, 08:36 AM
(14) Northwestern State over (3) Iowa
Cinderellas are often battle-tested, experienced and deep. The Demons? They won at Oklahoma State, Mississippi State and Oregon State earlier this season. Northwestern State starts four seniors — forward Clifton Lee (13.9 points per game, 6.5 rebounds per game), guard Jermaine Wallace (9.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg), guard Tyronn Mitchell (7.9 ppg, 5.0 assists per game) and center Byron Allen (7.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg) — who have all started since they were freshmen.

Coach Mike McConathy uses 10 players, nine of whom are upperclassmen, to the tune of at least 13 minutes a game. Conversely, Iowa lacks the size that often sets major-conference clubs apart from their smaller-conference challengers. Erek Hansen (6.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg) stands 6 foot 11 for the Hawkeyes, but is not much of a factor on the offensive end. In nonconference play against smaller opponents, Hansen scored more than 10 points only once. Need more evidence that Northwestern State is for real? The Demons lost at NCAA tournament teams Wichita State, Texas A&M and Utah State just by a combined 13 points.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5407524?GT1=7934

I love stuff like this.

Saulbadguy
03-16-2006, 08:39 AM
I think the Demons will give the Hawkeyes some problems. I picked Northwestern State for the upset because I don't think Iowa will go very far.

htismaqe
03-16-2006, 08:45 AM
It's amazing they failed to mention that while Northwestern State starts 4 seniors, Iowa starts 3. Not only that, but those 3 all led the Big 10 at their respective positions in at least one category.

And I like the fact that the Demons only last to WSU, TAMU, and Utah State by a combined 13 points. No mention of the fact that Iowa played the 22nd toughest schedule in the nation, or that they had one of the best records against the Top 50 RPI in D-1 basketball.

htismaqe
03-16-2006, 08:46 AM
I think the Demons will give the Hawkeyes some problems. I picked Northwestern State for the upset because I don't think Iowa will go very far.

I don't think it's gonna be an easy game.

From the national coverage, though, you'd swear that Iowa was the #14 seed in this matchup.

StcChief
03-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Northwestern State - Natchitoches, Louisiana

Northwest of what?

This is like the comments I heard in Houston Tx.

Everybody that lives north of I-10 is a Yankee.....

jspchief
03-16-2006, 09:10 AM
I think the Demons will give the Hawkeyes some problems. I picked Northwestern State for the upset because I don't think Iowa will go very far.I think it will be an edge of your seat type of game. Not fun for Iowa fans expecting an easy advance.

But I also think Iowa's veteran leadership and style of play is well suited for a grind. They don't panic, and in the end they have the better athletes to put them over the edge.

Ultra Peanut
03-16-2006, 09:21 AM
From the ever-brilliant Dan Shanoff (and the seemingly billion idiot writers just like him):

The Lead Item
Two Words For You:
SWEET. SIXTEEN.

Talk about suffering Madness: I will insanely boldly go where no NCAA Tournament prognosticator has gone before.

A 16 seed will beat a No. 1 seed.
This year.

In the history of the men's NCAA Tournament, it has never happened. It's like the first rule of bracket-picking: The 16 never beats the No. 1. Period. Oh-for-history.

But when the brackets were announced Sunday night, I had a gut reaction when I saw Friday's pair of 1-seed Memphis and 16-seed Oral Roberts:

Upset. (Sorry: U-P-S-E-T!!!)

History, sanity and propriety all insist that I couldn't be more wrong. I was too timid to put it in my original projections. But I've changed my mind. It will happen. I want it to happen. And so do you.

The ultimate upset in sports.

I don't want it to happen because then I can say I was right (well, sort of); I want it to happen because it would be so unforgettably refreshing:

In a tournament field that most people -- fans and experts alike -- think will be dominated by UConn, Duke and Nova, nothing would be as shocking or unprecedented, perhaps in all of sports, as 16 toppling 1.

Mid-major guru Kyle Whelliston didn't scoff at me. In fact, he gave me a couple talking points that back my pick with more than just "gut" and wishful thinking:

*ORU has better offensive stats in FG pct, 3PT pct, points per shot and effective FG pct -- even though Memphis cruised through C-USA.

*ORU fouls less than Memphis does (21.6-20.4) and has better FT pct (70.8-68.4). If they can keep it close, it's winnable at the line.

*ORU's big guys are actually bigger and bulkier (avg: 6-9, 243 lbs) than Memphis' bigs (avg: 6-8, 231 lbs).

*"Expect a Miracle": That's what it says on ORU's home floor. Could that be any more appropriate?

And here's one more detail: They're playing the game in Dallas, a short drive from from Tulsa, in front of an audience that includes Arkansas fans who hate Memphis with lust. The arena atmosphere will be favorable to ORU.

You can dub it a "Memph-dis," but I originally had the Tigers going out in the Sweet 16 to Kansas anyway. Memphis went from not even in the tournament last year to being a 1-seed this year; I don't think they can handle it. I'm not alone: They're everyone's pick to be the No. 1 seed to fold early.

Um, just not this early.

In the grand scheme of my bracket picks, this kind of 16-over-1 upset call isn't even worth that many points. But it transcends pool position.

And I hope you'll agree:
It's so worth rooting for. So... Kareem Cooper (6'11"), Joey Dorsey (6'9"), Shawne Williams (6'9"), Robert Dozier (6'8"), and Waki Williams (6'9") are smaller than Mickey Michalec (6'11"), Caleb Green (6'8"), Larry Owens (6'7"), Marchello Vealy (6'7"), and Yemi Ogunoye (6'8")?

We're only the "weak" #1 in these morons' eyes because of the conference we play in. Indeed, our conference by and large sucked this year beyond the top four teams, but in our final seven games leading into the Dance, we played those four teams in five of those games (twice versus a Top 25 UAB squad, twice versus Houston, which is inconsistent but dangerous enough to have beaten Arizona and LSU, among others, and once versus UTEP, which is a very tough team to play, though their early struggles and terrible OOC schedule sank their chances). Also, I'm sure it must be easy to be every team's championship game, with every gym you roll into being packed to the brim with screaming lunatics looking for a huge upset.

We finished the year #4 in the RPI, with the #31 overall strength of schedule. We've gone 30-3; 3-2 vs. the RPI Top 25, 3-1 vs. the RPI 26-50, and 7-0 vs. the RPI 51-100. We rolled through our conference tournament (facing the #31 and #51 teams in the RPI), unlike certain other #1 seeds that either lost in their first game, lost in a game that was never really a game, or looked like they were trying to lose the whole way through in addition to a lackluster finish to the regular season... yet we're somehow the weakest. Mmmkay.

Oh, and C-USA had a terrible year, which means our stats are meaningless; unlike that powerhouse Mid-Con (I especially like how he phrased the surprise at some of our stats being ever-so-slightly worse than theirs, "despite" us being in C-USA). Speaking of stats, we're #10 in the nation in scoring, #4 in the nation in scoring margin, #3 in the nation in defensive FG percentage, #8 in the nation in rebounding margin, #5 in the nation in blocks, and #11 in the nation in steals, among other numbers. And yeah, the fact that we weren't in the tourney last year is damning... but ORU's 22-year absence means nothing. :rolleyes:

At least some of our guys have NIT Final Four experience from last year, not to mention four of our freshman building their 40-0 prep record from 04-05 to 70-3 including this year's results.

ORU is better than your average #16 seed, but the teams they almost beat are the sort of teams we rolled in non-conference and conference play. For God's sake. Their losses came to the likes of IUPUI, Western Illinois, and ULaLa. Our losses were Duke, Texas, and at UAB.

Phobia
03-16-2006, 09:21 AM
That's Delaney's alma mater.

The national media is bashing Iowa because more often than not, Iowa proves them right in the tournament.

They gut out a conference championship and then go to the tourney and choke. It's pretty embarrassing, actually.

shakesthecat
03-16-2006, 09:26 AM

The national media is bashing Iowa because more often than not, Iowa proves them right in the tournament.

They gut out a conference championship and then go to the tourney and choke. It's pretty embarrassing, actually.

Who have they choked to?

Duke? Cinncy? Kentucky?

I'll admit they don't have the greatest NCAA record, but it's not like they get beat by lower seeds every year.

htismaqe
03-16-2006, 09:26 AM

Not when they're a #3 seed they don't.

Phobia
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey - I'm a disenfranchised fan. I'm allowed to trash them. It would be nice to have a national championship in something besides Wrestling, badminton, or ladies sports.

Lzen
03-16-2006, 10:04 AM
It's amazing they failed to mention that while Northwestern State starts 4 seniors, Iowa starts 3. Not only that, but those 3 all led the Big 10 at their respective positions in at least one category.

And I like the fact that the Demons only last to WSU, TAMU, and Utah State by a combined 13 points. No mention of the fact that Iowa played the 22nd toughest schedule in the nation, or that they had one of the best records against the Top 50 RPI in D-1 basketball.

Heh, I thought that was kinda funny. Utah State, WSU, and TAMU aren't exactly a good comparison to Iowa. They can talk all they want, but it doesn't mean squat. That's why they play the games.

BTW, I love your av. :thumb:

ct
03-16-2006, 10:05 AM

also no mention that you're such a blind Iowa homer that any vibe against them is just crazy talk. :)

jidar
03-16-2006, 10:08 AM
If everybody picks it as an upset, is it still an upset?

jspchief
03-16-2006, 10:09 AM
also no mention that you're such a blind Iowa homer that any vibe against them is just crazy talk. :)Yea, because only a homer would expect a 3 seed to beat a 14 seed. :rolleyes:

shakesthecat
03-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Dammit, I'm outraged by this writers insulting article. How dare he pick Iowa to lose.

I'm gonna send an email and tell him off.

htismaqe
03-16-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't have a problem with picking Iowa, or any high seed to lose.

I have a problem with one-sided journalism and the blatant ignoring of facts when it isn't consistent with one's way of thinking...

Chiefnj
03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
//

Ebolapox
03-17-2006, 02:27 PM
pwnage

-EB-

Eleazar
03-17-2006, 02:28 PM
ROFL

SPchief
03-17-2006, 02:29 PM
ROFL

NewChief
03-17-2006, 02:29 PM
I thought about going back and looking for this thread and bumping it, but I decided it was probably pointless as Parker's already kicked the stool out from under himself and will never see it.

alanm
03-17-2006, 02:38 PM
How do you like it now? :D

ct
03-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Uh oh!

beavis
03-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I got nothing important to add. ROFL

keg in kc
03-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow.

Do it right and this could be heading for the hall of classics.

Eleazar
03-17-2006, 02:51 PM

"And Ruth is pointing to the stands..."

SPchief
03-17-2006, 02:53 PM
National writers are so Stooooopid

the Talking Can
03-17-2006, 03:07 PM
yes

morphius
03-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Iowa you make me smile.

htismaqe
03-17-2006, 04:27 PM
I thought about going back and looking for this thread and bumping it, but I decided it was probably pointless as Parker's already kicked the stool out from under himself and will never see it.

Actually, I came looking for this thread. I was gonna bump it myself.

I didn't actually get to watch the game. I have a kid with the flu and wife with strep throat. I was sleeping for the first time in 36 hours...

Not that them losing changes the point of this thread:

I don't have a problem with picking Iowa, or any high seed to lose.

I have a problem with one-sided journalism and the blatant ignoring of facts when it isn't consistent with one's way of thinking...

But I let myself get sucked in by Iowa basketball once again. It's time to stick to football...oh wait, I'm a Chiefs fan...

Ultra Peanut
03-17-2006, 04:38 PM
You were still right, in the end. They're full of shit.

Sorry about the loss.

htismaqe
03-17-2006, 04:43 PM
You were still right, in the end. They're full of shit.

Sorry about the loss.

No sympathy needed. I could really care less.

I admit without reservation that I'm a bandwagon fan, not because it's the Hawks, but because it's basketball. I'm just so into football that I don't really get into the other sports unless my favorite team is doing well...

shaneo69
03-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Wow...tough loss. So I guess Stevie is headed to Bloomington?

WilliamTheIrish
03-17-2006, 07:20 PM
It was an incredible shot.

htismaqe
03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Wow...tough loss. So I guess Stevie is headed to Bloomington?

Most of Indiana doesn't want him. Sounds like Randy Whitman will be their next coach.

NewChief
03-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Actually, I came looking for this thread. I was gonna bump it myself.

I didn't actually get to watch the game. I have a kid with the flu and wife with strep throat. I was sleeping for the first time in 36 hours...

Not that them losing changes the point of this thread:

But I let myself get sucked in by Iowa basketball once again. It's time to stick to football...oh wait, I'm a Chiefs fan...

Hey. My team lost to Bucknell, so I got no room to talk.

tk13
03-17-2006, 07:39 PM
If Alford recruited Indiana as well as he recruited Iowa, he could load up one bear of a team. That's probably the biggest thing in his favor.

Skip Towne
03-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Hey. My team lost to Bucknell, so I got no room to talk.
Your team lost to Bucknell? Hahahahaha How could you possibly lose to Bucknell?

JBucc
03-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Your team lost to Bucknell? Hahahahaha How could you possibly lose to Bucknell?I still don't know who Bucknell is