PDA

View Full Version : harrington leaving lions

johnson&green
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Lions are parting ways with Joey Harrington after four turbulent seasons in which the former third overall draft pick went from franchise savior to fans' scourge.

Although he declined to say whether Harrington had been released, coach Rod Marinelli told reporters Monday: "We've made a decision to move on."

"At this moment, he's not with us," Marinelli said. "That's been my decision."

Harrington, the third overall pick in the 2002 draft, was 18-37 as a starter with the Lions under three coaches: Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci and Dick Jauron, who took over when he Mariucci was fired during the 2005 season.

He started 55 games, throwing for 10,242 yards with 60 touchdowns and 62 interceptions and a mediocre 68.1 passer rating.

He will be replaced by either Jon Kitna or Josh McCown, both former starters signed who agreed to terms in the last week.

The Lions already have under contract former Tampa Bay and Arizona starter Shaun King and second-year man Dan Orlovsky.

The team is hoping new offensive coordinator Mike Martz can do what he did in St. Louis with Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger: Transform a lightly regarded quarterback into a star.

McCown, for one, is hoping that will happen.

The 26-year-old from Sam Houston State likes Martz's offensive schemes and used to discuss them with Warner, whom he backed up last season in Arizona.

Kitna, who sat behind Carson Palmer in Cincinnati the past two seasons, also has expressed his admiration for Martz's offense.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mr. Kotter
03-20-2006, 12:13 PM
He'll get another chance as a starter somewhere soon. I'd take him as backup and QBOTF, but with the dearth of talent at QB in the NFL....he'll get another shot right away, I suspect.

58-4ever
03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
i think you may be right, but he would look good holding a red clipboard for a few years.

Sure-Oz
03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
We need to bring him in, trent has 2 years left id say!

Seek
03-20-2006, 12:24 PM
supposedly, the Chiefs have offered a 7th rounder for Harrington. I don't know how credible the source was, because it was some Detroit writers blog, but the Lions are looking for a 4th or 5th. This writer also thinks a deal with the Chiefs is near.

They are reluctant to release him, because Minnesota is drooling for him. They have even offered a 3rd rounder to the Lions.

Sure-Oz
03-20-2006, 12:27 PM
No way we get him if Minny is offering a 3rd rounder...wait ya we will cause carl will throw in our 2nd and a 3rd rounder!

Seek
03-20-2006, 12:34 PM
No way we get him if Minny is offering a 3rd rounder...wait ya we will cause carl will throw in our 2nd and a 3rd rounder!

Well it is either take our 7th or cut him, where Minny can sign him. I dont' care what Minny is offering for him as a trade. A divisional rival is not going to get a QB to come back to haunt them with.

Sure-Oz
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM
True, if their smart theyll do a sign and trade and get what they can with us.

Rain Man
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM
It's a no-lose situation for us, when thinking about Minnesota. There are two outcomes:

1. Detroit thinks he's talented, and so they won't want to keep him in the division, and will therefore be willing to accept less to move him out of the conference.

2. Detroit knows that there's some major hidden flaw that's fatal, so they'll take the higher price from Minnesota and have a good laugh as Minnesota eventually discovers it.

The potential flaw in this theory, though, is that Detroit is run by a person with the IQ of a fire hydrant, in which case their assessment of Harrington will be exactly wrong, making it a no-win situation for us.

Sure-Oz
03-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Matt Millen may be a bigger douche than king carl....

jAZ
03-20-2006, 12:43 PM
The potential flaw in this theory, though, is that Detroit is run by a person with the IQ of a fire hydrant...
Is this the fire hydrant you are referring to?

http://www.detroitlions.com/photos/Millen_Body_1104.jpg

Coach
03-20-2006, 12:52 PM
I believe that is correct jAZ

HC_Chief
03-20-2006, 12:55 PM
IMHO option "firehydrant" is closest to the mark.

Firing Mooch was a HUGE mistake.

BigMeatballDave
03-20-2006, 12:58 PM
2 threads by the same user on one subject. Posted 4 minutes apart, no less...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137635

johnson&green
03-20-2006, 04:55 PM
2 threads by the same user on one subject. Posted 4 minutes apart, no less...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137635

who asked u

Rain Man
03-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Is this the fire hydrant you are referring to?

http://www.detroitlions.com/photos/Millen_Body_1104.jpg

That's the hydrant. In the bicentennial, they painted him red, white, and blue.

Spicy McHaggis
03-20-2006, 06:07 PM
IIRC before the 2002 draft the Chiefs FO was highly intrigued by Harrington. I vaguely remember Carl or someone in the FO making a comment about how the Chiefs would have taken him if he had fallen. On the other hand this was 4 years ago and let's be honest, the college life hasn't helped me improve my memory at all.