PDA

View Full Version : Packer, Nance, MVC and KU tidbit

Pitt Gorilla
03-20-2006, 01:11 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2002876660&zsection_id=2002119889&slug=ncaanotes20&date=20060320

Notebook: Critics of "little guys" eat their words
By Seattle Times news services

Maybe the Missouri Valley Conference wasn't so undeserving after all, CBS commentators said.

"I guess we created quite a stir, created a little fuss" with the ripping of the league, Jim Nantz, CBS' lead college basketball play-by-play broadcaster, said on the air Sunday while covering the NCAA Tournament in Philadelphia. "They proved a lot of people wrong, including two who are sitting right here courtside."

A week earlier, Nantz and college analyst Billy Packer blasted the selection committee for including four teams from the Valley and two from the Colonial Athletic Association. The same number of schools were picked from the MVC as were selected from the traditionally more powerful Atlantic Coast Conference and Big 12.

"You've got to be kidding," Packer said last week.

But Sunday, after two Valley teams (Bradley and Wichita State) had moved to the Sweet 16 — one more than the Big 12 and two more than the ballyhooed Big Ten — Packer and Nantz pulled back on their criticism.

"They have proven to be quite meritorious," Nantz said. "I guess our words didn't really play well in Peoria."

He added, "The Missouri Valley certainly came through with their performance this week. Doug Elgin, their commissioner, has to be one of the happiest guys in America right now. Great validation for the Missouri Valley Conference and what they've done all year."

Packer called Bradley's tourney wins, over Kansas (of the Big 12) and Pittsburgh (of the Big East), "impressive victories."

Nantz said they since have talked with Craig Littlepage, head of the selection committee, after blasting the group on the selection show. And he said Littlepage gave them this message: "We were just trying to tell people last week with the bracketing and selections that a lot of people out there can play basketball that maybe you haven't heard of."

Last week, Nantz said: "For years we trumpeted the fact that the little guy needs some representation. But it's gone way too far now." But on Sunday he said, "Good for the little guy making his presence felt."

Notes

• Brother and sister Jamie and Maggie Dixon led their teams into the men's and women's NCAA tournament this year.

Both their seasons ended Sunday as Jamie's Pittsburgh Panthers lost 72-66 to Bradley in the second round of the men's tournament, while Maggie's Army team lost 102-54 to Tennessee in the first round of the women's tourney.

• All four No. 1 seeds — Duke, Connecticut, Villanova and Memphis — advanced to the round of the 16. It's the second straight year that happened (two went on to the Final Four). Since 1979, when the field expanded to 32 teams, all four No. 1s have advanced to the regional semifinals 13 times.

• Kansas' second consecutive first-round upset loss caught the attention of local police over the weekend. "A police officer came in this morning," said owner Jon Amyx, owner of the Downtown Barbershop in Lawrence, Kan. "Last night he thought he had a domestic disturbance. But it was just three couples who were crying. Men and women both. They were all crying. We've heard about a lot of that."

Eleazar
03-20-2006, 01:14 PM
• Kansas' second consecutive first-round upset loss caught the attention of local police over the weekend. "A police officer came in this morning," said owner Jon Amyx, owner of the Downtown Barbershop in Lawrence, Kan. "Last night he thought he had a domestic disturbance. But it was just three couples who were crying. Men and women both. They were all crying. We've heard about a lot of that."

ROFL ROFL ROFL

jspchief
03-20-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't think there's anything more enjoyable than watching the massive quantities of crow being consumed this week.

Andoverer
03-20-2006, 01:21 PM
But Sunday, after two Valley teams (Bradley and Wichita State) had moved to the Sweet 16 — one more than the Big 12 and two more than the ballyhooed Big Ten — Packer and Nantz pulled back on their criticism.

"They have proven to be quite meritorious," Nantz said. "I guess our words didn't really play well in Peoria."

Or in Wichita, I might add.......
mmmmmm.....tasty crow

teedubya
03-20-2006, 01:45 PM
hahaha...

that is funny... I dont care who you are.

ROYC75
03-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Yep, losing sucks.

No crying here, we left and went to the Huddle House to eat, wearing my KU shirt proudly:D

Lzen
03-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Crying? Over a game involving people and things you have no control over? Get a grip, people. ROFL

HemiEd
03-20-2006, 03:00 PM
I think Bradley was underseeded at 13, clearly a tough first round game for the Jayhawks.
Bradley deserves all of this recognition, but so do the Shocks. They took out a 2 seed! Bradley took out a 5 and a 4.

Lzen
03-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I think Bradley was underseeded at 13, clearly a tough first round game for the Jayhawks.
Bradley deserves all of this recognition, but so do the Shocks. They took out a 2 seed! Bradley took out a 5 and a 4.

Nothing against Wichita State, but I think a lot of people were expecting Tennessee to go down early. I know I was. ;) But congrats to WSU. :thumb: I was rooting for them to win.

jspchief
03-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Bradley deserves all of this recognition, but so do the Shocks. They took out a 2 seed! Bradley took out a 5 and a 4.I don't think Bradley was under seeded at all. If you look at their resume before the tourny started, it would have been tough to argue a higher seed IMO.

They were a team that was being called a bubble team, and while I didn't feel they were on the bubble, I don't think the 13 seed was off base either.

ROYC75
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
I'll admit, they played far better than I expected of them.

ct
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Nothing against Wichita State, but I think a lot of people were expecting Tennessee to go down early. I know I was. ;) But congrats to WSU. :thumb: I was rooting for them to win.

I do agree. WSU got a nice draw for sure. Seton Hall and Tennessee were both stuggling, and beatable. But the thing is, they got the job done, and in March Madness, that's all that counts!! Ask Bill and Roy. :)

Survive and Advance!

tk13
03-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah... Bradley's entire "body of work" was probably hurt by the fact they started slow, O'Bryant was hurt early in the season. They didn't start to find their groove until the last 15 games or so. They really might have been playing the better than anyone in the MVC by the end of the year.

ROYC75
03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
I do agree. WSU got a nice draw for sure. Seton Hall and Tennessee were both stuggling, and beatable. But the thing is, they got the job done, and in March Madness, that's all that counts!! Ask Bill and Roy. :)

Survive and Advance!

No doubt a good draw has alot to do with. It helped KU in 1988 and some luck along the way. It happens every year to somebody in the torney. They get farther than many people expect them to.

But the botom line is, If ya don't bring it every game, you lose along the way. KU is evidence of this the last 2 years.KU had the bracket both years to get to the Final Four.

We didn't survive and didn't advance.

Go WSU .......

tk13
03-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah but I do think they still needed to go out and do it. People were making the argument that these schools wouldn't even go 8-8 in major conferences. For the MVC to take out the Big 12 champ, SEC East champ, and Big East runner up is pretty impressive.

HemiEd
03-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I must admit, I was thrilled when I saw where the Shockers were bracketed. I was less than thrilled when I saw the Jayhawks drew Bradley.
I don't think Bradley was under seeded at all. If you look at their resume before the tourny started, it would have been tough to argue a higher seed IMO.

They were a team that was being called a bubble team, and while I didn't feel they were on the bubble, I don't think the 13 seed was off base either.

You make a good point.
I say what I did because they were playing just about as good as the Jayhawks towards the end of the season. I think the conference reputation, is why the Jayhawks were seeded higher and Bradley a Bubble team.
JMO, The baby Jayhawks matured a lot during the season and Bradley improved greatly. As tk13 stated, probably a lot to do with O'Bryant healing up. He was outstanding in the Valley tourney against the Shocks.

KcMizzou
03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
• Kansas' second consecutive first-round upset loss caught the attention of local police over the weekend. "A police officer came in this morning," said owner Jon Amyx, owner of the Downtown Barbershop in Lawrence, Kan. "Last night he thought he had a domestic disturbance. But it was just three couples who were crying. Men and women both. They were all crying. We've heard about a lot of that."That is hilarious.

WilliamTheIrish
03-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't think there's anything more enjoyable than watching the massive quantities of crow being consumed this week.

I agree.

The fact that most of the KU fans on this board didn't know their competition at all, only makes watching them with their foot, ankle, and tib fib in their collective mouths all the more fun.

That and the ****"Official KU thrashing ---------- threads*****