PDA

View Full Version : Steve Hutchinson tidbit

ct
03-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Viking fan friend of mine passed this to me. I think he got it off of scout.com.

All-Pro G Steve Hutchinson should remain a Seahawk after Seattle was able to match Minnesota's offer sheet.
The case did not end up going to arbitration. The Seahawks were able to lower teammate Walter Jones' average salary by adding a year to his contract, thus avoiding a "poison pill" provision in Hutch's offer sheet that guaranteed his $49 million salary if he wasn't the team's highest paid offensive lineman. It's confusing, but the end result is that Seattle retains his rights. This is speculation, but it seems possible to us that Hutchinson could still be dealt before Seattle matches. He clearly doesn't want to be there.

Fish
03-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Seattle is gonna have a pretty good team next year from the looks of things.......

Joe Seahawk
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
This "special master" just made the Transition tag irrelevant..

Special master rules against Hawks | Subscribe

"Special master" Stephen Burbank ruled against the NFL Management Council and the Seahawks today in their attempt to match the Vikings' offer to LG Steve Hutchinson under altered terms. That means the Seahawks have until midnight tonight EST to match the Vikings' offer to Pro Bowl LG Steve Hutchinson, or he will become a Viking.

A clause in the offer called for the full $49 million to become guaranteed if Hutchinson weren't the highest-paid offensive lineman on his team in 2006, presumably at the time he signed the offer sheet with Minnesota. Looks like the Seahawks tried to change the point of reference to be at the time they matched. And then to cover themselves, they reworked Walter Jones' contract in a way that would have made Hutchinson the highest-paid offensive lineman on the team in terms of average per year, which is the standard used in this case. Right now it appears as though the ruling makes it very difficult for the Seahawks to match the deal unless they are willing to guarantee the money. We'll know more as the day progresses and more information becomes available.

"Special master Stephen Burbank has determined that the additional language that the Seahawks proposed to include in the Steve Hutchinson contract would alter a principle term of the Vikings' offer sheet," league spokesman Michael Signora said today. "The Seahawks have until midnight Eastern to decide if they'll match the original offer sheet."

Hootie
03-20-2006, 05:59 PM
This "special master" just made the franchise tag irrelevant..
Actually, the "special master" made the transition tag irrelevant. The Seahawks still f*cked themselves by not franchising the guy.

Joe Seahawk
03-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Actually, the "special master" made the transition tag irrelevant. The Seahawks still f*cked themselves by not franchising the guy.

I can see why the Seahawks FO didn't franchise him, it'd be a 6.5 mil hit on the cap this year, plus we would still have to try to sign him long term or face an 8 mil cap hit next year.. The reason we transitioned him was so he could go see what his market value is, and we'd match..

Well his agent put in a clause that made it absolutely impossible to match without guaranteeing him 49 mil. That'd be nuts.

So if the clause that he had to be the highest paid lineman is valid, than you will see all sorts of clauses that make it impossible for teams to match..

I honestly think it sets a terrible precedent..

Hootie
03-20-2006, 06:08 PM
I can see why the Seahawks FO didn't franchise him, it'd be a 6.5 mil hit on the cap this year, plus we would still have to try to sign him long term or face an 8 mil cap hit next year.. The reason we transitioned him was so he could go see what his market value is, and we'd match..

Well his agent put in a clause that made it absolutely impossible to match without guaranteeing him 49 mil. That'd be nuts.

So if the clause that he had to be the highest paid lineman is valid, than you will see all sorts of clauses that make it impossible for teams to match..

I honestly think it sets a terrible precedent..
blah blah blah

His agent went out, found the best deal, then said f*ck you to the Seahawks for being so careless in negotiations, and then for transitioning him rather than franchising him.

You can beat around the bush all you want, but the Seahawks could've saved themselves a headache and one of the best G's in the league if they would've just used the right tag.

Joe Seahawk
03-20-2006, 06:14 PM
blah blah blah

His agent went out, found the best deal, then said f*ck you to the Seahawks for being so careless in negotiations, and then for transitioning him rather than franchising him.

You can beat around the bush all you want, but the Seahawks could've saved themselves a headache and one of the best G's in the league if they would've just used the right tag.

Obviously in hindsight it probably would have been better to franchise him, but the Seahawks FO did the classy (IMO) thing and let him establish his value on the open market and they felt they could match any offer.. The vikings should be forced to guarantee the entire 49 if the Seahawks have to.

All that aside.. I think the ruling sets a bad precedent..

Joe Seahawk
03-20-2006, 06:55 PM
What a bunch of crap.. I hope the NFL appeals..

NFLPA attorney Richard Berthelson just explained to me over the phone exactly what happened in the Steve Hutchinson case and what it means. Basically, it means that Seattle has to guarantee the $49 million in Hutchinson's contract if the team matches the offer sheet from Minnesota. The Seahawks have until 9 p.m. PST do match or lose Hutchinson to the Vikings. If and when Hutchinson becomes a Viking, his deal with Minnesota will not be guaranteed. But it will be guaranteed if the Seahawks match the offer. I'll have more here in the coming minutes.
http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/

Hootie
03-20-2006, 07:06 PM
What a bunch of crap.. I hope the NFL appeals..

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/
How does this not make sense to you?

At the time of the deal, the Vikings would have no lineman that would be making more than Mr. Hutchinson.

At the time of the deal, the Seahawks did indeed have a lineman (Jones) making more than Stevey boy.

Thus, Seattle would have to guarantee the contract and Minnesota would not.

Seems like Hutchinson's agent is a pretty good one.

Joe Seahawk
03-20-2006, 07:14 PM
How does this not make sense to you?

At the time of the deal, the Vikings would have no lineman that would be making more than Mr. Hutchinson.

At the time of the deal, the Seahawks did indeed have a lineman (Jones) making more than Stevey boy.

Thus, Seattle would have to guarantee the contract and Minnesota would not.

Seems like Hutchinson's agent is a pretty good one.

Hootie, I completely understand the offer and what Hutch's agent did.

I think it makes the transition tag irrelevent and that is a bad thing..

If you think it was a good ruling then we'll just have to agree to disagree..