PDA

View Full Version : How come there are no White Castles in Kansas City?

Saulbadguy
03-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Seriously.

Bwana
03-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Who the hell knows, none around here period, rat bastards.

Fire Me Boy!
03-20-2006, 06:50 PM
What restaurants suck, for $200, Alex.

Calcountry
03-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Seriously.Sounds like a business opportunity for you Saul. Why don't you open a franchise?

|Zach|
03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
I never liked it...but there used to be one in Blue Springs...closed in the mid 90's I believe.

POND_OF_RED
03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
its a sad thing, but you can go to costco or sams club and get a whole bunch of there microwavable cheeseburgers....its the closest thing to satisfaction that i have found.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2006, 06:57 PM
What restaurants suck, for $200, Alex.More like, "Restaurants That Suck for $200, Alex."

JBucc
03-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Now that I think about it I'm not sure I've ever seen one

jiveturkey
03-20-2006, 06:59 PM
its a sad thing, but you can go to costco or sams club and get a whole bunch of there microwavable cheeseburgers....its the closest thing to satisfaction that i have found.I do the same thing.

I really miss the fresh stuff though.

redbrian
03-20-2006, 07:01 PM
They came (way back in the old days out of Wichita) they went, they came (mid 80's) they went and good riddance.

Oh and they don’t franchise (unless that has changed in the last 20 years).

Donger
03-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Isn't there still one off Metcalf and (approx.) 90th street. Near Bo Lings?

Adept Havelock
03-20-2006, 07:03 PM
There were a few around town- 71 HWY and Blue Ridge, Metcalf and 90something....

Why did they leave? Not enough stoned college kids I guess.

seclark
03-20-2006, 07:04 PM
frickin belly-bombs...you would really eat at a white castle, saul?
nasty.
sec

Donger
03-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I do the same thing.

I really miss the fresh stuff though.

The stuff sold at the stores was frozen, too, IIRC.

KcMizzou
03-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Last I knew there was one on 210 hwy/Armor road, just west of I-29.

It's been a couple years though, it may not be there now.

redbrian
03-20-2006, 07:06 PM
There were a few around town- 71 HWY and Blue Ridge, Metcalf and 90something....

Why did they leave? Not enough stoned college kids I guess.

There was also one in NKC, the epa made them declare the site a brown zone and the bulldozed it (not really, although they did bulldoze it).

Also a lack of white trash ridge runners.

Eleazar
03-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Last I knew there was one on 210 hwy/Armor road, just west of I-29.

It's been a couple years though, it may not be there now.

There's not one in that area anymore. I think it used to be on Burlington when I was a kid, so mid-80s perhaps.

I always thought it was nasty, but I ate at one in Minneapolis in the last few years and it was better than I remember.

Fire Me Boy!
03-20-2006, 07:11 PM
More like, "Restaurants That Suck for $200, Alex."
My sincerest apologies. ROFL

beavis
03-20-2006, 07:13 PM
You might be thinking of Culver's. It's at about 87th & State Line.

MGRS13
03-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I think there is still one on the corner of linwood and gilham.

redbrian
03-20-2006, 07:14 PM
There's not one in that area anymore. I think it used to be on Burlington when I was a kid, so mid-80s perhaps.

I always thought it was nasty, but I ate at one in Minneapolis in the last few years and it was better than I remember.

No it was on Armour near Linn, and as I said they bulldozed that place a few years ago, the lot is still vacant (due the cost of cleaning up the toxic waste I'm sure.

CoMoChief
03-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Seriously.

There used to be one in Blue Springs right off of I-70 and 7highway. They closed that and replaced it with a Clancy's bar. I like their burgers. What I really would like is for someone to put a Jack in the Box in Blue Springs or Columbia. Whitey's is great too. 3 things Columbia needs:

White Castle
Mr. Goodcents - waaaaaaaaaay better than Subway
Jack In The Box

The first one and the last one the closest ones are in Warrenton, MO outside of St. Charles. Theres a Mr Goodcents in Bum **** Booneville so whenever I get a Goodcents sandwich is when Im driving back to school from home.

KcMizzou
03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Anyone remember a chain called Checkers? They were pretty good, and just sort of vanished. It was drive-through only, other than a few out door patio tables. There used to be one on North Oak, just south of 72nd.

Fire Me Boy!
03-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Anyone remember a chain called Checkers? They were pretty good, and just sort of vanished. It was drive-through only, other than a few out door patio tables. There used to be one on North Oak, just south of 72nd.
There used to be on in Raytown (on 350, where Sonic is now), and there used to be one just off Troost on 47th (also where a Sonic is now). I loved that place -- great burgers.

Ultra Peanut
My sincerest apologies. ROFLSomeone once said, "If you're going to do it right, do it right, or something." Or something. I think.

|Zach|
There used to be one in Blue Springs right off of I-70 and 7highway. They closed that and replaced it with a Clancy's bar. I like their burgers. What I really would like is for someone to put a Jack in the Box in Blue Springs or Columbia. Whitey's is great too. 3 things Columbia needs:

White Castle
Jack In The Box

The first one and the last one the closest ones are in Warrenton, MO outside of St. Charles. Theres a Mr Goodcents in Bum **** Booneville so whenever I get a Goodcents sandwich is when Im driving back to school from home.
booches

Eleazar

I remember there used to be one of those on Linwood (perhaps?) when I worked in that area, but I never ate there. It seemed like there was normally a pretty... rough crowd hanging out.

DomerNKC
03-20-2006, 07:22 PM
i drive to wentzville every 6 months or so for a few regular white castles, a few white castles with cheese, and a few jalapeno white castles(new). a three hour drive for belly bombs? sure, why not?

Frazod
03-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Nasty-ass onion burgers. Gag. :Lin:

DT4everaChief
03-20-2006, 07:30 PM
In the late eigthies/early nineties there used to be White Castles all around KC. The burgers were awesome after a night of partying.

Garcia Bronco
03-20-2006, 07:34 PM
White Castle....puts the bad name...in the bad name of fastfood. If I put it on a scale...I would say it's somewhere between fast food and dog food.

DaMook
03-20-2006, 07:36 PM
there is one in grandview right near truman corners i believe

|Zach|
03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
a three hour drive for belly bombs? sure, why not?
Are you serious?

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
That eye was actively trying to escape his face, aiming for the freedom of life on the road. Anything, he figured, must be better than seeing what Gary Busey sees.

Eleazar
03-20-2006, 07:43 PM
a three hour drive for belly bombs? sure, why not?

KcMizzou
03-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Kcnut's gonna be pissed when he sees his girl in Harold and Kumar's back seat.

Eleazar
03-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Kcnut's gonna be pissed when he sees his girl in Harold and Kumar's back seat.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

ExtremeChief
03-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Mr. Goodcents kicks ass. My wife used to pick them up in Cameron for me. Now it's a Domino's. BASTARDS!!!!!!

There may be one in Chillicothe. The kick Subway's ass.

KcMizzou
03-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Mr. Goodcents kicks ass. My wife used to pick them up in Cameron for me. Now it's a Domino's. BASTARDS!!!!!!
Traded Goodcents for Domino's? Yeah, you got screwed.

I really dislike Domino's pizza for some reason. It's my least favorite other than the cheap suff. (Little Ceasar's, etc.)

Sure-Oz
03-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I never liked it...but there used to be one in Blue Springs...closed in the mid 90's I believe.
Yep just off the out road by 7...

watching harold and kumar makes me want some though, and get high... ROFL

ExtremeChief
03-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I can't stand Domino's. I'd rather eat a frozen Tony's pizza than that.

HemiEd
03-20-2006, 08:03 PM
The Chain started in Wichita, a long time ago. The greasy things are good for indigestion. There is a lot of them in Chicagoland, I hate them.

Frazod
03-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Traded Goodcents for Domino's? Yeah, you got screwed.

I really dislike Domino's pizza for some reason. It's my least favorite other than the cheap suff. (Little Ceasar's, etc.)

Abominos sucks. I can't believe they actually make enough money to stay open in the Chicago area, considering how many excellent pizza places there are up here. But they do. :shake:

VonneMarie
03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Because KC finally came to their senses?

Skip Towne
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
I remember there used to be one of those on Linwood (perhaps?) when I worked in that area, but I never ate there. It seemed like there was normally a pretty... rough crowd hanging out.
Yeah, we're a pretty rough crowd. You want to make something of it?

Eleazar
03-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Dominos pizza isn't anything special, but they have good wings.

Eleazar
03-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah, we're a pretty rough crowd. You want to make something of it?

I'd have my food and be gone by the time you got your chair down your van's lift, codger.

Skip Towne
03-20-2006, 08:20 PM
I'd have my food and be gone by the time you got your chair down your van's lift, codger.
You'd better smile when you say that, slick.

seclark
03-20-2006, 08:31 PM
if i'm going to chuck in a burger joint at 3am, i'ts usually a steaknshake.
cheese fries,
sec

Dartgod
03-20-2006, 08:42 PM
there is one in grandview right near truman corners i believe
No, that one's been closed for years.

journeyscarab
03-20-2006, 09:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitecastle[

B]White Castle (restaurant)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Whitecastle)[/B]

White Castle is the oldest American hamburger fast-food restaurant chain. It is known for square burgers, commonly referred to as "sliders" (or "slyders"), which were priced at 5 cents until the 1940s, and remained at ten cents for years thereafter while growing smaller. For several years, about every six months, when the original burgers sold for 5 cents, White Castle ran promotional ads in local newspapers which contained coupons entitling the bearer to 5 burgers for 10 cents for takeout only. The typical White Castle restaurant architecture features a white exterior with a crenellated tower at one corner to resemble a medieval castle. The Chicago Water Tower, which stands on Michigan Avenue, was the main model for the classic building.

History
The company was founded in 1921 in Wichita, Kansas when entrepreneur Edgar Waldo "Billy" Ingram partnered with cook Walter Anderson, who had developed an efficient way of cooking hamburgers quickly. Anderson's original method used freshly ground beef and fresh onions. The ground beef was formed into balls by machine, 18 to a pound. The balls were placed upon a hot grill and topped with a handful of fresh thinly shredded onion. Then they were flipped so that the onion was under the ball. The ball was then squashed down, turning the ball into a very thin patty, The bottom of the bun was then placed atop the cooking patty with the bun top on top of that so that the juices from the beef and the onion would permeate the bun. After grilling, a slice of dill pickle was inserted before serving. Management decreed that any additives, such as catsup or mustard, must be added by the customer. Anderson's method is not in use by the chain today, having changed when the company switched from using fresh beef and fresh onion to small, frozen square patties (originally supplied by Swift & Co.) which are cooked atop a bed of dehydrated onions laid out on a grill. The heat and steam rises up from the grill, through the onions. In 1949 five holes in the patty were added to facilitate quick and thorough cooking. The very thin patties are not flipped throughout this process. This "steam grilled" method is unique among major fast food restaurants.

Ingram's business savvy, argues David Gerard Hogan in Selling 'Em By the Sack: White Castle and the Creation of American Food, not only was responsible for White Castle's success, but for the popularization of the hamburger. For example, to counter charges that burgers were not healthy, Ingram paid several young men to dress as doctors and eat White Castle hamburgers: the idea being that if doctors ate it, it had to be healthy. This same logic led Ingram to fund a study in which a medical student went on a ten-week diet of nothing but White Castles and water. The experiment, though dubious, yielded results and increased legitimacy for the hamburger in general and White Castle in particular.

In 1933 Ingram bought out Anderson, and the following year the company moved corporate headquarters to Columbus, Ohio. The company remains privately held and its restaurants are company-owned; they are not franchised in the United States (international White Castle outlets are a different matter). Co-founder Billy Ingram was followed as head of the firm by his son E.W. Ingram Jr. and grandson E.W. Ingram III.

Marketing
White Castle was an early example of successful fast food marketing. While the White Castle company is based on four earlier hamburger stands owned by Anderson, the current name was chosen by Ingram in 1921 to distinguish it from other, less salubrious fast food outlets that many consumers were reluctant to visit. (White Castle's own facilities, prior to 1921, were considered shoddy by some.) "White" was chosen for its connotations of purity, while the "Castle" element was selected as it suggests stability and permanance. This factor was essential in the store's early successes, so much so that several chains (some of which still exist, such as Krystal) imitated the formula.

White Castle's innovative approach to preparing and presenting its hamburgers created a loyal following that, over time, developed slang used today by patrons and restaurant staff to communicate an order or otherwise discuss White Castle products. For example, a customer ordering a "sack of six with both", will receive six burgers with both ketchup and mustard (this is also a reference to White Castle's habit of keeping three bottles of condiments at hand for the burgers: ketchup, mustard, and a combination of the two—or "both"). An individual who consumes 6 or more "slyders" in one sitting earns the distinction "slyder pilot". Its burgers are also sold in frozen boxes in grocery stores nationwide. White Castle purists, however, argue that frozen Slyders only loosely resemble those sold in the restaurants.

A typical White Castle mealWhite Castle's marketing campaign capitalizes on the unique qualities of its product. "The Crave" is depicted in radio and television spots as a sort of addiction to White Castle burgers. An individual afflicted by "The Crave" can only be satisfied by Slyders. While "The Crave" marketing strategy is presented in a light hearted, tongue-in-cheek fashion, many loyal patrons of the restaurant contend they do become afflicted by "The Crave" from time to time. It is argued that the size, construction and cooking method of White Castle burgers is unique among fast food products. Therefore, it is conceivable that "The Crave", in fact, is a specific yearning for the attributes possessed only by Slyders. Another possible explanation is that affordability and convenience of White Castle burgers makes it an ideal choice after one suddenly feels peckish. This is more true after consumption of alcohol which heightens one's appetite for carbohydrates and fat.

Every year, White Castle offers to reserve a candlelit table for two with a server at their restaurants for Valentine's Day.

In 2003, White Castle unveiled a new logo. In that same year, the new slogan was "What You Crave."

Trivia
Ironically, White Castle closed its original stores in Kansas in 1938, it attempted a failed return to the Kansas City area in the 1990s. White Castle recently opened five new Castles in Kansas. In fact, as noted below on "locations", their geography consists strictly within the eastern/southeastern sections of the Midwest, with the major exception of the greater New York area.
For the release of Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, Time Warner set up a temporary White Castle on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood from July 22 - August 11, 2004. The site, a full-size replica of one of the original White Castle restaurant designs, was set up adjacent to the Standard hotel, thus making this restaurant the only White Castle outside of the company's normal area of sales. [1]

Locations
White Castle can be found in the following regions in the United States

Anderson, Indiana
Chicagoland
Cincinnati
Greater Cleveland
Columbus
Detroit
Indianapolis
Lansing
Lexington, Kentucky
Louisville
Minneapolis
Nashville
New York City Metropolitian Area
St. Louis

CoMoChief
03-20-2006, 09:03 PM
booches

Gotta love the Booch too. Great burgers.

chiefs4me
03-20-2006, 09:05 PM

White Castle
Jack In The Box

Jack in the box huh, we have one right up the road, tell me, what's so great about it, I mean, what sandwhich do you fancy??

|Zach|
03-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Gotta love the Booch too. Great burgers.
I always try to make a trip when im in Columbia.

shaneo69
03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Jack in the box huh, we have one right up the road, tell me, what's so great about it, I mean, what sandwhich do you fancy??

The breakfast Jack kicks ass. As do their deep fried tacos, 2 for $0.99.

shaneo69
03-20-2006, 09:30 PM

There was a Checkers right across the street from our high school in the late '80's. Did they get bought by Rally's? Seems like the same concept.

Dartgod
03-20-2006, 09:34 PM
There was a Checkers right across the street from our high school in the late '80's. Did they get bought by Rally's? Seems like the same concept.
Rally's and Checker's were owned by the same company.

Originally separate companies serving different geographic areas, Checkers and Rally's Hamburgers, Inc. merged in August 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally%27s

Frazod
03-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Checkers rocked - there used to be several of them on the north side of Chicago, but all of those closed. Best fast food by a wide margin over the national chains. There are still some on the south side, but it's not worth my life or my car to go to that hellhole area for a f#cking cheeseburger.

ExtremeChief
03-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Best burgers I've had in KC were at the Westport Flea Market. Booches in Columbia serves great burgers as well.

There is nothing up here in Hell. That's why I bought a Traeger... I'll do it my damn self.

Psyko Tek
03-20-2006, 09:52 PM
never had white castles

but In N' Out
there's a fast food burger for ya

double double
animal style

Chiefsrocker
03-20-2006, 09:57 PM
I went to a burger joint in KC several years ago, and cant remember where it was. The name was Fudpuckers or something. Maybe Fudruckers??? Anyway, I thought it was a pretty cool place. Dont have nuthin like that around here!! :banghead:

beavis
03-20-2006, 09:58 PM
but In N' Out

Shut the f*ck up Donnie.

Frazod
03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I went to a burger joint in KC several years ago, and cant remember where it was. The name was Fudpuckers or something. Maybe Fudruckers??? Anyway, I thought it was a pretty cool place. Dont have nuthin like that around here!! :banghead:

Fuddruckers. Pretty good burger place.

There's one about three miles from here. :p

beavis
03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Best burgers I've had in KC were at the Westport Flea Market.
The tenderloin at the Market is awesome.

Simply Red
03-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah there used to be one on The Outer Road in Blue Springs. I used to live right behind it YEARS ago. However, now that I reside in Atlanta, all we have down here are Krystal. Short Bus Kid can testify that THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AS WHITE CASTLE! "Double-burger, double-cheese White Castle, double please!!"

grandllama
03-20-2006, 10:02 PM
what the history always leaves out is that the entire concept was created at the cozy inn in Salina... they always put in the argument between the owners, but leave out that the original burger was created in Salina.

CHENZ A!
03-20-2006, 10:02 PM

No, that one has been closed for yrs. The building is still there, been vacant for a long time.

CHENZ A!
03-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Fuddruckers is right down the street from where white castle used to be on 87th and Metcalf.

HemiEd
03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
never had white castles

but In N' Out

double double
animal style

Best Hamburger Chain I have ever eaten at. I make sure I go every time I am in California. I think I had their Double Double four times last trip.

Skip Towne
03-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Checkers rocked - there used to be several of them on the north side of Chicago, but all of those closed. Best fast food by a wide margin over the national chains. There are still some on the south side, but it's not worth my life or my car to go to that hellhole area for a f#cking cheeseburger.
Although I've never met you in person, judging from the pictures of you I've seen I would have to say you know good food when you see it.

Frazod
03-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Although I've never met you in person, judging from the pictures of you I've seen I would have to say you know good food when you see it.

Oh yeah. Call me an expert. :)

Ultra Peanut
03-21-2006, 08:02 AM
RALLY'S YOU GOTTA EAT

Bob Dole
03-21-2006, 09:45 AM

The two-sided-drive-thru, basic menu, serve you in under 2 minutes places appears to have been a fad that didn't last very long. Hammons put a chain up in Springfield (can't remember the name), too. The ones down here were built and demolished within a year.

RealSNR
03-21-2006, 11:02 AM
The White Castle burgers from Sam's aren't too bad if you wrap them in foil and pop'em in the oven for about 15 minutes. The directions say do the steaming water shit, but they're perfect as is without the mess, IMO

Dave Lane
03-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Seriously.

There were several here but they all closed. It was about the time everyone was on the No fat diets so that may have been their demise.

Dave

StcChief
03-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Whitey's are bad news. Unless your constipated.

Hammock Parties
03-21-2006, 11:27 AM
I am guessing the government didn't want to give Kansas City an unfair advantage in the race for "America's Fattest City."

Chief Pote
03-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Whaa...are you saying that Columbus, Ohio is a fat city? The home of the White Castle shitty, effing nasty burger. You gotta be drunk to enjoy one of the nasty.....

greg63
03-21-2006, 11:52 AM
The Society Against White Castles won't allow it. :p :D

Dunit35
03-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Mr. Goodcents kicks ass. Way better than subway, but then again I think Quiznos is better than Subway.

Never ate at White Castle though.

StcChief
03-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Whitey's - a burger with holes and fits under the pickle.

slider to clean you out.

No they aren't good drunk, they will make you puke though. If you need to lose your beer.

Spicy McHaggis
03-21-2006, 01:27 PM
The only white castles I've seen over the last 10 years were in Michigan and Chicago (southside). And if you're eating White Castle in Chicago you seriously need to examine your dining habits.

StcChief
03-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Go south their cousin is there...Krystal's

gblowfish
03-21-2006, 01:46 PM
White Castle is like Alpo smothered in onions. Whole world o nasty. Why wouldn't they make it in KC? Because we have:

Winstead's
Hi-Boy's
Steak N Shake
Wendy's

And for the drunks, we have Denny's, Town Topic, Sydney's, hell...even most McDonalds are open 24 hours now.

White Castle is probably the worst hamburger known to man.

morphius
03-21-2006, 02:10 PM
White Castle is probably the worst hamburger known to man.

Yup, when you can make McD's seem like fine eating, well, you just know your nasty.

They did have some in KC, but the God's smiled upon us and ran them out of town.

POND_OF_RED
03-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I dont remember there burgers but I remember they had the best fries I have ever eaten... :drool:

Lzen
03-21-2006, 02:59 PM
I've never eaten at White Castle. I'll tell you one fast food place that I wish they would bring further north to Topeka/Lawrence/KC area. Braum's...........mmmmmmmmmmmmm. :drool:

Saulbadguy
03-21-2006, 03:01 PM
I've never eaten at White Castle. I'll tell you one fast food place that I wish they would bring further north to Topeka/Lawrence/KC area. Braum's...........mmmmmmmmmmmmm. :drool:
They won't/can't. They have some sort of agreement with Baskins Robbins. Baskin Robbins operates north of I-70 (for the most part). Braums operates south of it.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-21-2006, 03:06 PM
I ate at a White Castle in Blue Springs, the nasty tasting burger EVAR!

Lzen
03-21-2006, 03:11 PM
They won't/can't. They have some sort of agreement with Baskins Robbins. Baskin Robbins operates north of I-70 (for the most part). Braums operates south of it.

Are you serious?

:banghead:

That's it, I'm gonna go blow up some Baskin Robbins stores. :bang:

So, how do you know this, Saul?

Saulbadguy
03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Are you serious?

:banghead:

That's it, I'm gonna go blow up some Baskin Robbins stores. :bang:

So, how do you know this, Saul?
I just remember making a remark about having no Braums in Topeka whilest I was in Wichita, and someone told me this.

You'll find that Braums are only south of I-70, including Salina. Baskin robbins has stores in Salina as well, but that's it. None in Wichita (or surrounding areas), Emporia, etc.

Brock
03-21-2006, 03:23 PM

:spock:

gblowfish
03-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Braum's is OK. They have one in Carthage, MO and a bunch in Arkansas.
Basically just Dairy Queen with a little better ice cream.

chasedude
03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I ate at a White Castle in Blue Springs, the nasty tasting burger EVAR!

I agree! White castle is about the most disgusting burgers. A Culver's just opened up here in town and wow. They are some damn fine butter burgers!