PDA

View Full Version : Ravens | Stills agrees to terms

recxjake
03-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Ravens | Stills agrees to terms
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:36:16 -0800

Mar 22, 2006 13:36:16 PT: BaltimoreRavens.com reports the Baltimore Ravens have agreed to terms on a three-year contract with free agent LB/DE Gary Stills (Chiefs). Financial terms of the deal were not disclo

Rausch
03-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Doh!

DMAC
03-22-2006, 04:04 PM
There goes our special teams

COchief
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Good, that guarantees he won't be back with us to take up a roster spot of a young player with POTENTIAL to be something in the league.

I understand that he did special teams very well, which for some reason seems to be rare in the NFL. I have never understood why it's so hard to pay someone 300K a year to run down the field and bash through ppl 2-6 times a game.

Kylo Ren
03-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Are we going to get compensation for all of the players that we're losing? We won't because they are free agents and not restricted free agents, right?

Iowanian
03-22-2006, 04:16 PM
If Scanlon and Boomer can't cover his spot on ST, its time to find a young, cheaper player(than stills) who can.

Thanks for your service Gary...buh bye.

jspchief
03-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Good bye Gary. I'll always remember you for your lack of awareness that kept Dante from breaking the NFL record for TD returns in a season.

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Good bye Gary. I'll always remember you for your lack of awareness that kept Dante from breaking the NFL record for TD returns in a season.
You beat me to it. When I think of Stills I think of that missed block.

jspchief
03-22-2006, 04:36 PM
You beat me to it. When I think of Stills I think of that missed block.It's unfortunate, because he was probably instrumental in Hall scoring a few of those previous TDs. But he'll always be the guy that missed the block to me.

nascher
03-22-2006, 05:01 PM
gary made almost 1000k last year to play ST !!!

More than 3 UDFA (Rookie).

oldandslow
03-22-2006, 05:09 PM
While I agree with the overall sentiment that Stills made too much as a SP teams player, unless we spend the money to upgrade somewhere else, what difference does it make?

We have a bunch of holes to fill and so far the signing of Mr. Griffin is all I see as a move to improve - and that signing was, of course, debatable.

It's early, so I am not pushing the red panic button yet...

but still....

Dunit35
03-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Man I just got his autograph last season too!

Hammock Parties
03-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Warpaint Illustrated has exclusive footage of Gary Stills whiffing on blocks:

http://mb14.scout.com/fchiefsinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=10044.topic

Mr. Laz
03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Are we going to get compensation for all of the players that we're losing? We won't because they are free agents and not restricted free agents, right?

you get "credit" for all free agents lost

i don't think you get credit when you cut someone though

ROYC75
03-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Still's stay was over due, should have been gone a year ago.

The guy is a tweener...... hard to use him.

The Poz
03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Ravens | Stills will play special teams
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:49:51 -0800

The Baltimore Sun reports Baltimore Ravens LB Gary Stills will play specials teams for the Ravens, as well as providing depth for the defense. General manager Ozzie Newsome said Stills will bring toughness, enthusiasm, and athleticism to the team.

Big suprise.

Spicy McHaggis
03-22-2006, 08:18 PM
I have never understood why it's so hard to pay someone 300K a year to run down the field and bash through ppl 2-6 times a game.

On a side note that job just got raised to #4 on my "Greatest Jobs on Earth" list behind "Personal Suntan Applicator for Jenna Jameson."

T-post Tom
03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Another chapter from 'Peterson's Paradise Lost.' Remember, years ago, when Peterson was caught screaming into a phone during a game because Stills wasn't being used in the pass rush? That was shortly after DT passed and Peterson was touting Stills as the next DT. Well, at least he didn't end his career on a wrecked moped. :rolleyes:

el borracho
03-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Good, that guarantees he won't be back with us to take up a roster spot of a young player with POTENTIAL to be something in the league.
:clap: exactly!

Chiefnj
03-22-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't have the inclination to look up numbers, but from watching games it appeared as if the Chiefs special teams play took a bit of a step back last year. I think it was due to the fact that in last years offseason they lost the #2, #3 and #4 special teams tacklers. Now, this year they lose the #1 guy. Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to replace these "no name" guys. I think the Chiefs will miss Stills as much as they will miss T-Rich. If the Chiefs are under the cap they might as well as tried to retain some of these guys.

Hammock Parties
03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't have the inclination to look up numbers, but from watching games it appeared as if the Chiefs special teams play took a bit of a step back last year. I think it was due to the fact that in last years offseason they lost the #2, #3 and #4 special teams tacklers. Now, this year they lose the #1 guy. Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to replace these "no name" guys. I think the Chiefs will miss Stills as much as they will miss T-Rich. If the Chiefs are under the cap they might as well as tried to retain some of these guys.

The Chiefs special teams have sucked since Vermeil has been here. Hell, I'm pretty sure they sucked when Gunther was the head coach.

I'm glad we got a new special teams coach. If memory serves he has a history of good special teams, too.

morphius
03-22-2006, 10:26 PM
It's unfortunate, because he was probably instrumental in Hall scoring a few of those previous TDs. But he'll always be the guy that missed the block to me.
And that wasn't the only block that he missed that would have allowed Hall to walk in. I'm damn gad they dropped this guy. He gives me dumb flashes of Vanover, not the car stealing, but the he's a WR... oh he sucks at that, umm he's a RB... umm nevermind he sucks at that too...

I can think of a couple people I would have rather kept ast year who had some potential.