PDA

View Full Version : It's illegal to be drunk in a Dallas bar

ENDelt260
03-23-2006, 10:14 AM

StcChief
03-23-2006, 10:17 AM
That should be good for business....NOT.

JimNasium
03-23-2006, 10:20 AM
"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

These are all mild in nature. He's obviously not run with the crowd I party with.

OnTheWarpath15
03-23-2006, 10:21 AM
That should be good for business....NOT.

And to think bar owners were pissed about a possible anti-smoking ban........

KCTitus
03-23-2006, 10:23 AM
LOL...classic. First, legislators all over the nation are banning smoking, now they're on to drinking at bars.

simply amazing.

KCChiefsMan
03-23-2006, 10:26 AM
just another way for the gov't to get ya, it produces more revenue

OnTheWarpath15
03-23-2006, 10:27 AM
We'll see how serious Texas is about this :BS: when football season starts......

Good luck arresting all the drunks in Texas Stadium.

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Wait till Kalifornia hears about this!

Aries Walker
03-23-2006, 10:32 AM
I wonder if being in your own house still exempts you from public drunkenness laws in Texas.

So much for Ron White's "I was drunk in a bar; arrest them" defense.

picasso
03-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Don't people have choices let alone rights anymore? Dont they realize that what they're going to create is a lot of drunk bastards at home beating their wives arse because that is what a drunk is trying to avoid in the first place when they go to a bar?

Mile High Mania
03-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't have an issue if they were arresting people leaving a bar that were getting into a car to drive...

JimNasium
03-23-2006, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't have an issue if they were arresting people leaving a bar that were getting into a car to drive...
Which is not what they are doing in this instance. They are actually entering the establishment and making field evaluations.

Mile High Mania
03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Which is not what they are doing in this instance. They are actually entering the establishment and making field evaluations.

Oh, I know... I live just north of Dallas and saw this on the news a week ago. Craziness. I do think there is a serious issue with people getting drunk and then driving, especially around here. I don't think this is the best way to attack it, but I'm not sure what is...

I know that over the years I have (hopefully) become smarter about not doing this, but in my younger and single days there are a number of times where I should not have been driving and waking up the next morning, I didn't really recall driving.

That's scary and very dumb. There's a lot of that going on and while people are upset at this action, I'm not sure what the solution is really.

dollar1
03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
he's weaving, almost stumbling to his car. The Sheriff across the road is watching. As other bar patrons are leaving, the drunk finally staggers to his car. He fumbles with his keys, drops them, falls down trying to pick them up, says 'bye to his friends as they pass. The Sheriff is licking his chops. The guy puts it in drive, hits the curb, puts in reverse when the red lights appear. More cars leave the establishment.

The cop asks the drunk to get out of his car and gives him the field soberity test. The "drunk" passes with flying colors. Astonished, the cop ask "What the hell are you doing"...

"Tonight, I'm the Designated Drunk"

Butta Bump

~back under my rock~

Rausch
03-23-2006, 10:59 AM

How can you be drunk in public on private propery?

Rausch
03-23-2006, 11:01 AM
We'll see how serious Texas is about this :BS: when football season starts......

Good luck arresting all the drunks in Texas-

Exactly...

JimNasium
03-23-2006, 11:05 AM
How can you be drunk in public on private propery?
That's a good question. I was not defending the practice. IMO, to use the argument that "drunk people do stupid stuff" as a reason to stop people from over-imbibing is a ridiculous line of logic.

Rausch
03-23-2006, 11:10 AM
That's a good question. I was not defending the practice. IMO, to use the argument that "drunk people do stupid stuff" as a reason to stop people from over-imbibing is a ridiculous line of logic.

How they can do it in the club/bar is what I don't get.

Just wait, the street is public property. Hell, the sidewalk is probably public property.

But if they can enter a business that means they can enter yer home...

MahiMike
03-23-2006, 11:12 AM
I thought it was illegal to be sober in a bar...

Oh well, welcome to Dallas, Russia.

JimNasium
03-23-2006, 11:14 AM
How they can do it in the club/bar is what I don't get.

Just wait, the street is public property. Hell, the sidewalk is probably public property.

But if they can enter a business that means they can enter yer home...
They can enter a business at any time if the business is regulated. In this sitiuation they have a liquor license and I'm sure that there is a stipulation that they can enter the establishment to evaluate adherence to the stipulations found in the license. This is very similar to being granted a business license to serve food. I'm sure you've experienced a surprise food inspection from your friends at the Cole County Health Department.

Skyy God
03-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Texas, it's like a whole other country.

Enjoy the next phase of Operation "Turn back the clock to 1920", field sobriety tests in your living room.

Rausch
03-23-2006, 11:21 AM
They can enter a business at any time if the business is regulated. In this sitiuation they have a liquor license and I'm sure that there is a stipulation that they can enter the establishment to evaluate adherence to the stipulations found in the license. This is very similar to being granted a business license to serve food.

Right, but if they're saying that drinkers are "in public" in a business as soon as I pour them a beer they can get popped with an open container bit as well.

I'm sure you've experienced a surprise food inspection from your friends at the Cole County Health Department.

Can't remember the last time one actually came inside the building...

Rausch
03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Texas, it's like a whole other country.

Enjoy the next phase of Operation "Turn back the clock to 1920", field sobriety tests in your living room.

I don't remember the thread but I explained how a buddy of mine had exactly that happen to him not long ago.

Mile High Mania
03-23-2006, 11:28 AM
So, if you're getting drunk at a game... you're on private property, but there are 75,000 people there with you... is that not getting drunk in public?

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Right, but if they're saying that drinkers are "in public" in a business as soon as I pour them a beer they can get popped with an open container bit as well.

Can't remember the last time one actually came inside the building...
Those Health Dept. nazis are the worst. They should all be shot at sunrise.

CosmicPal
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Ehhhh, what's the point of going to a bar if you're not going to get drunk.

I haven't been drinking in awhile, but I this is a bullshit law.

Imagine this: I'm in a bar. I'm obviously drunk. However, I didn't drive to the said bar. I had someone else drive me there and I plan on hailing a *****ing cab to go home. So, you're still going to give me a *****ing ticket? I can assure you, if they handed me a ticket for being drunk in a place that permits me to get drunk and I'm not planning on driving my drunk ass home- I'd be throwing a wild, major ass fit with those tards- the kind that would probably get me a few months in jail.

Piper
03-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Oh, Vanderjagt isn't going to like that :)

OnTheWarpath15
03-23-2006, 11:33 AM
So, if you're getting drunk at a game... you're on private property, but there are 75,000 people there with you... is that not getting drunk in public?

The bars are private property also.

Doesn't seem to get in the way now.

Mile High Mania
03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh, Vanderjagt isn't going to like that :)

Now, that is funny!

Rausch
03-23-2006, 11:35 AM

At a Chiefs game it's owned by the County, so it's not private property.

Depends on who owns the stadium I guess.

picasso
03-23-2006, 11:40 AM
What I don't get is on what grounds do they have to give you a sobriety test? "Oh he looks like he's having a great time, laughing with his friends and being loud. He must be drunk!" If you decline do they take your license away?

picasso
03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Sounds to me like they weren't giving sobriety tests anyway. I'm sure if they were everyone else would sneak (stumble) out the back door. It sounds like they were just arresting people in a sweep.

Aries Walker
03-23-2006, 11:50 AM
I wonder how long it will take them to start storming wedding receptions.

Bugeater
03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
:shake: This has to be one of the most asinine things I've ever heard in my life. Unbelieveable.

Demonpenz
03-23-2006, 12:56 PM
www.snopes.com

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 12:56 PM
License to what? Drink? There's been plenty of times I was drunk in a bar without a license to drive.
You? Drunk in a bar? Can't be.

Bob Dole
03-23-2006, 01:33 PM
It's a good thing Bob Dole does all his drinking on the Arkansas side of State Line Avenue.

sd4chiefs
04-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I saw this on the news last week. They arrested a women who was staying at a Hotel and drinking at the Hotel bar. They interviewed the woman as they were taking her out of the bar and she did not seem to be that drunk. She was really pissed off. :shake:

Hammock Parties
04-14-2006, 02:52 PM
This has really wrecked my nightlife.

Simplex3
04-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Prohibition worked so well the first time... ROFL

Jilly
04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
My best friend lives in Dallas. She said that the other day she was in a bar with her friends and there were under cover cops that were arresting people out of the blue towards the end of the night for drunkenness. I'm going to visit her the end of April.....I guess we'll just get some Shiner and drink it at her house.....I wonder if they could arrest us there??? Hmmmm

PunkinDrublic
04-14-2006, 03:03 PM
This is what happens when you have neocons and talibaptists running your state. We've had pharmacists who refuse to sell the morning after pill to women who've just been raped because it violates there pro-life beliefs. A couple of years ago a woman was selling dildos at a tupperwear party style event in her home and was arrested by an undercover police officer. In a lot of strip clubs undercover cops will arrest strippers and their patrons if they are dancing too close. There's a Hooters in one part of town that doesn't sell beer or liquor because the religious nuts who live in the area fight to shut it down because "gasp" it's too close to a school.

Other than that it's a swell place to live.

PunkinDrublic
04-14-2006, 03:09 PM
If I were one of the bar owners I would take pictures of the TABC undercover officers and distribute them to as many other bars as I could. Then I would not let them enter my establishment.

jiveturkey
04-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Couldn't they also assume that an angry drunk might try and kill someone?

:hmmm:

PunkinDrublic
04-14-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm guessing the liquor laws are written as such that they can't deny entry to a liquor control officer.

I'm not sure on that one but it would make it hard to do their job if everyone new their identities.

Miles
04-14-2006, 03:31 PM
TABC blows.

sd4chiefs
04-14-2006, 04:30 PM
If I were one of the bar owners I would take pictures of the TABC undercover officers and distribute them to as many other bars as I could. Then I would not let them enter my establishment.

Myabe the people in the bar could buy the undercover officers drinks until they get drunk and then they could arrist themselves.

tahnikijakaba
04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Finding drunks in a bar -- what are the chances?

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:02 AM ET166

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

This is like going to the Daytona 500 and issueing speeding tickets.

KCChiefsMan
04-14-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm glad they didn't have that law when I went to S Padre for spring break a few years ago. If it's illegal to be drunk at a bar then what the f*ck is the point of going to a bar

pak1983
04-14-2006, 05:27 PM
thats george w's state

Dave Lane
04-14-2006, 05:47 PM
I like it good work!

Dave

Cntrygal
04-14-2006, 05:59 PM
I saw this on the news last week. They arrested a women who was staying at a Hotel and drinking at the Hotel bar. They interviewed the woman as they were taking her out of the bar and she did not seem to be that drunk. She was really pissed off. :shake:

I saw that! I would be pissed too. Just a few weeks ago I went skiing and stayed the weekend at Deadwood. I would have been in jail by 7pm going by their criteria. :mad:

Valiant
04-14-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm guessing the liquor laws are written as such that they can't deny entry to a liquor control officer.

They cannot but I would sure love them to announce that they are here and which ones they are...

Valiant
04-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Texas halts arrests of drunks in bars
Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:08pm ET170

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - A controversial Texas program to send undercover agents into bars to arrest drunks has been halted after a firestorm of protest from the public.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has "temporarily suspended" what it called "Operation Last Call" even though it still believes it was worthwhile, commission spokeswoman Carolyn Beck said on Thursday.

"We understand that everything has room for improvement, this included," she said.

She said most of those arrested in the sting operations had been "dangerously drunk" and might have tried to drive if TABC agents had not busted them.

The TABC has launched an internal investigation of Operation Last Call and a Texas Legislature committee will hold hearings on the program on Monday.

The TABC announced the program in late August but it received little attention at the time.

But recent media reports that drunks were being arrested in bars provoked both ridicule and anger around the world and, perhaps more importantly, complaints from hotels, restaurants and bars in Texas who said it could hurt business.

The program drew support from groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

The Houston Chronicle found that 1,740 people across the state had been arrested for public intoxication in Operation Last Call.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Source (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-04-14T170827Z_01_N13257090_RTRUKOC_0_US-CRIME-BARS.xml)

Good for them to back off...