PDA

View Full Version : Girl Missing For 10 Years Allegedly Locked In House

4th and Long
03-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Like ... wow ...

Girl Missing For 10 Years Allegedly Locked In House
Woman Is Now 24 Years Old
UPDATED: 7:06 am CST March 23, 2006

McKEESPORT, Pa. -- A Pennsylvania teen who disappeared in 1996 has been found.

Tanya Kach, now 24, was 14 when she disappeared on Feb. 10, 1996. That was the last time she was heard from, police said.

Ten years later, officials said that Kach was found in McKeesport, Pa., -- the very city from which she vanished.

The girl had been going by the name "Nikki Evans," WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh reported.

http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0323/8203943_400X300.jpg

The man who found Kach is the owner of JJ's Deli Mart in McKeesport. Joe Sparico said that for the past seven months, Kach had been going to his deli and befriended him. On Tuesday, Sparico said Kach came into his deli and told him she had something to tell him. He said Kach told him that she had been using an alias -- that her real name is Tanya Kach.

Kach said she was held captive, locked in the house -- typically made to stay in the bedroom -- at 1002 Soles St. in McKeesport.

It's the home of 47-year-old Thomas Hose, an ex-security guard at Cornell Middle School, where Tanya attended, according to WTAE. He shares the house with his elderly parents.

Kach said she was not allowed to leave the house until sometime in 2000, which was a period of about four years. Kach said after four years as a captive, she was allowed to venture out of the house.

According to Kach, Hose threatened her life if she left or told anyone.

Hose is now jailed on charges of statutory sexual assault and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. His lawyer said Kach went with him willingly. Police said Hose used "mind games" to keep her with him and convince her that her parents didn't care about her. The deli owner said Kach pleaded with him, "Don't you abandon me."

"She said, 'If you go on the missing children Web site, you'll see my name on there.' And I just couldn't believe it," Sparico said. Tuesday night, Sparico checked missing persons reports and located Kach, and then called McKeesport police.

"I was so scared that nobody would believe me," Kach said.

"I feel so bad for the family. I feel so bad for Nikki. She lost her childhood," said a neighbor on Soles Street who said she visited with "Nikki" almost every day.

"She would leave about 3:15 p.m. because Tom got home after work."

When asked if Kach gave any indication that something was wrong, the neighbor said,

"She cried a lot. She cried at Christmas. She said she missed her family, but she didn't know where her family was.

About 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Hose showed up with his attorney at county police headquarters.

Allegheny County Police Superintendent Charles Moffett said that Hose would face charges for sex crimes involving a minor.

Meanwhile, Kach is to be reunited with her mother Thursday. She was reunited with her father Wednesday.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/8203934/detail.html

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 06:09 PM
OK, 14 and not know where her parents were, name where she had lived ?
:shake:

Mr. Kotter
03-23-2006, 06:15 PM

I suspect she's mentally "challenged...."

But......wow. Just wow. :shake:

chiefqueen
03-23-2006, 06:16 PM

They sounds like it was what she was telling the captor's neighbors so she could stay alive.

sedated
03-23-2006, 06:19 PM
I guess it gives hope to all the parent that have lost children in the last decade or so.

maybe your kid is just a retard

4th and Long
03-23-2006, 06:23 PM
http://www.80s.com/saveferris/images/ferris/toofar.jpg
"Are you suggesting I'm not who I say I am?"

HemiEd
03-23-2006, 06:26 PM
speechless

4th and Long
03-23-2006, 06:30 PM
speechless
I think hell just froze over. :D

JBucc
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I can understand not being able to escape being locked in a house if you were ACTUALLY LOCKED IN THE HOUSE

Hydrae
03-23-2006, 06:56 PM
This is getting stranger as the story comes out:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/mostread/s_436166.html

Thursday, March 23, 2006

A McKeesport beautician helped Tanya Kach run away from home and move in with a security guard accused of holding the teen captive in his parents' home for a decade, according to a police affidavit released this morning.
Judy Sokol told police she cut and dyed Kach's hair in 1996 as a favor to the security guard, Thomas Hose, now 48, even though "she knew Hose was engaged in an inappropriate relationship," the affidavit states. Kach said today that Sokol cut her hair very short and dyed it red. She normally wears her hair long and very blonde.

The Allegheny County Office of Children, Youth and Families even contacted Sokol about Kach's whereabouts, prompting the beautician to sever her ties with the pair, the affidavit states, but it does not explain what Sokol told CYF case workers.

Allegheny County police said they are investigating why CYF contacted Sokol in connection with Kach's disappearance. They're also taking a closer look at Hose in connection with the murder of 14-year-old Kimberly Krimm, whose body was found in 1998 in a cemetery that is within view of Hose's Soles Street home.

County police homicide Lt. Chris Kearns said Hose was questioned back in 1998 about Krimm's slaying but there was no indication he was involved. Kearns declined to say what evidence - including DNA - police might have collected from Krimm's body and the crime scene.

Investigators today interviewed Hose's parents, Howard and Eleanor Hose, and his son, Justin, 22. They believe the elderly parents lived in the home the entire time Kach was held captive but they don't believe the couple knew she was in the house until recently, said county police Sgt. Richard Mullen.

Kach, now 24, met Hose in Setpember 1995, when she was in the 8th grade at Cornell Middle School in McKeesport, where he worked as a security guard.

The following month, she was skipping class when Hose caught her in the stairwell. The two started kissing, according to the police affidavit.

They began a relationship and Kach made plans to runaway. Her father, Jerry Kach, of Elizabeth Township, said his daughter wasn't having problems at home that would have prompted her to run away.

Jerry Kach and Tanya Kach's mother, Sherry Koehnke, were divorced when their daughter disappeared. Koehnke is now remarried and living in West Mifflin.

Kach stayed at Sokol's McKeesport home until she could move into Hose's house on Soles Street. The security guard wanted to hide Kach until his parents, with whom he lived, left the house and he could take the runaway there, according to the affidavit.

It is not clear from the affidavit how long Kach stayed with Sokol, who also cut and dyed the teen's hair to help disguise her. Hose and Kach returned to Sokol's house repeatedly over a month to spend the night and have sex, the affidavit said.

"After moving in with Hose, he instructed her not to leave his second-floor bedroom and had threatened her if she left or attempted to leave," the affidavit said.

She was locked in a second-floor bedroom for almost four years, where she had to use a bucket for a toilet. She was fed the food Hose brought her - mostly peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bottled water - and was told to tiptoe around the room. Hose made her memorize the floorboards that creaked so she could avoid them.

She was allowed out of the room twice a week, in the middle of the night, to take a shower in the home's bathroom, Mullen said.

Kach told police Hose insisted she keep track of their sexual activity in a calendar book "so he could brag to co-workers and friends of him in enganging in sex and how often," the affidavit said.

Hose started letting Kach come out of the bedroom on and off - when his parents weren't home - from 2000 until 2005, police said.

Last June, Hose changed Kach's identity to Nikki Allen and introduced her to his parents and friends as his girlfriend. He started letting her walk to church and to a nearby deli. She finally confided to the owner of JJ's Deli Market on Tuesday morning that she was not Nikki Allen, but was really the girl who disappeared from McKeesport on Feb. 10, 1996.

Hose was arraigned late last night on charges of statutory sexual assault and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. District Judge Thomas Miller set bond at $2,000 at 10 percent and ordered that Hose be evaluated by the county jail's behavioral clinic. Defense Attorney James Ecker said Hose likely will not be seen by the clinic staff until Friday.

A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Monday in McKeesport.

sedated
03-23-2006, 06:59 PM
http://www.80s.com/saveferris/images/ferris/toofar.jpg
"Are you suggesting I'm not who I say I am?"

Abe Froman, the sausage king of chicago

ROFL

Rain Man
03-23-2006, 07:12 PM
I guess it gives hope to all the parent that have lost children in the last decade or so.

maybe your kid is just a retard

Those are the kids whose pictures are only on the short milk cartons.

Rain Man
03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Investigators today interviewed Hose's parents, Howard and Eleanor Hose, and his son, Justin, 22. They believe the elderly parents lived in the home the entire time Kach was held captive but they don't believe the couple knew she was in the house until recently, said county police Sgt. Richard Mullen.

Okay, now I admit that perhaps I don't notice everything that's going on around me, but I have to think that if a teenage girl was living in my house for ten years, I would have noticed at some point.