PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question: Would you vote for concealed carry?

CHIEF4EVER
03-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Let's assume that your state didn't have a concealed carry law. Would you vote for or against it? Poll follows.

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Hell yes. I don't own a gun but I have no problem with licensed gun owners carrying their weapons. Makes some criminal jackass think twice before pulling the one they carry.

Katipan
03-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Hell yes. If I'm going to die in a gun fight, I want it to be a big one with bullets flying from every grandma on the corner.

CHIEF4EVER
03-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Hell yes. I don't own a gun but I have no problem with licensed gun owners carrying their weapons. Makes some criminal jackass think twice before pulling the one they carry.

I agree. Previously, when some dirtbag tried to hold up a 7/11, he was reasonably sure nobody was armed. Now he really don't know if the dude in the back getting some salsa for his chips is armed or not.

Logical
03-26-2006, 12:01 AM
If I vote yes am I voting for a allowing concealed weapons to be carried lawfully?

Aries Walker
03-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Absolutely not. There are too many untrained users letting bullets fly every which way as it is. Too many accidents.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Absolutely not. There are too many untrained users letting bullets fly every which way as it is. Too many accidents.
You don't know much about concealed carry laws, do you? You have to apply for a permit, most states require firearms safety classes before they'll give you one. We can assume for the purposes of this discussion that is the case.

The people you're thinking about running around shooting the place up today are criminals carrying illegal guns. They don't have a carry permit. They're already breaking the laws and plan on using their guns unlawfully. The only thing a concealed carry law changes is now law abiding citizens might also be armed. Most criminals wil admit that their attitude toward committing violent crimes changes when their state starts allowing concealed carry.

Halfcan
03-26-2006, 12:31 AM
I would vote to legalize pot before anything that has to do with guns. Make Love not War. :bong:

Just vote NO for Handguns and Rolling Roofs.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:34 AM
I would vote to legalize pot before anything that has to do with guns. Make Love not War. :bong:

Just vote NO for Handguns and Rolling Roofs.
I'd legalize pot, too. Hell, I'd sell crack on the shelf at Osco for $0.05 per vial, which is much more in line with the actual production costs. Then crackheads wouldn't need to steal to get their fix. For a quarter they could get their fix and remove themselves from society.

jAZ
03-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Abstain. I don't care much one way or the other.

Miles
03-26-2006, 12:42 AM
I would tend to say no but don't have that strong of an opinion on it.

Otter
03-26-2006, 01:03 AM
Do concealed weapon rules vary from state to state or is that regulated by federal law?

I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head who carry concealed handguns and they convinced me it was legal.

greg63
03-26-2006, 01:05 AM

Agreed, and I too do not own a gun.

kcmaxwell
03-26-2006, 01:11 AM
I agree whole-heartedly...the criminal element has to stop and say what if this guy...?
maxwell
not a gun owner, but not oppossed.

Logical
03-26-2006, 02:07 AM
Do concealed weapon rules vary from state to state or is that regulated by federal law?

I can think of 5 guys off the top of my head who carry concealed handguns and they convinced me it was legal.

Varies by location, not just state but even municipalities.

UKMike
03-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Don't you guys think if you live in a neighbourhood where you feel you need to carry a concealed weapon to protect yourself, you need to move?!

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 03:40 AM
Don't you guys think if you live in a neighbourhood where you feel you need to carry a concealed weapon to protect yourself, you need to move?!
You mean like a middle school in the suburbs? Or any bank or convenience store? Or how about Wal-Mart?

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/31883.html
Wal-Mart shooting was first under concealed carry permit

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 30, 2005

ALBUQUERQUE (AP) - A fatal shooting at an Albuquerque Wal-Mart last week was the state's first by someone with a concealed-carry gun permit, authorities said.

Police said Felix Vigil was attacking his ex-wife with a knife near the store's deli counter where she worked when an armed customer intervened and shot him. The woman, Joyce Cordova, was treated for multiple stab wounds and later released from an Albuquerque hospital.

The armed customer, 72-year-old Due Moore, was interviewed after the shooting last Thursday and released.

Police spokeswoman Officer Trish Hoffman said it appeared the shooting was justified. However, it will be up to the district attorney to decide whether Moore, a volunteer with the police department's cold case unit, will be prosecuted.

Moore could not be reached for comment.

New Mexico allows citizens age 21 and over to carry concealed weapons if they complete firearms training and pass national and local criminal background checks.

Moore's fatal shot was the first fired by someone with a permit, according to state Department of Public Safety spokesman Peter Olson. The state has issued more than 3,100 permits since the gun law went into effect Jan. 1, 2004.

Moore took a class to get his permit just 13 days after the law went into effect, said Cody Patton, a manager at Calibre's National Shooters Sports Center in Albuquerque. That's where Moore was certified.

"He was the fourth person ever to sign up for a permit," Patton said. "I've now done more than 300 of them."

Patton said there has been a fair amount of interest in concealed-carry permits at his range _ in particular during the first four months after the law passed.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 03:49 AM
http://www.newsmax.com/articles/archive/get2.pl?a=2000/9/12/104130
Edinboro, Pennsylvania – 1998

Fourteen-year-old Andrew Wurst opened fire on an eighth-grade graduation dance. The dance was being held at a privately owned ballroom. The owner of the ballroom, James Strand, grabbed a shotgun out of his office and confronted Wurst. Wurst dropped his gun. One teacher killed, two wounded. Who knows how much worse it would have been if Strand had not been there with his shotgun.

Rausch
03-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Yes.

And as Frazod knows I don't carry or own a gun.

However, I think it'd be fan-****ing-tastic if while I was getting robbed the guy walking down the other side of the street did...

UKMike
03-26-2006, 05:07 AM
You mean like a middle school in the suburbs? Or any bank or convenience store? Or how about Wal-Mart?

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/31883.html

But what are the chances? Do you really think carrying a gun on your weekly shopping trip is a measured reaction to the tiny possibility that the place will get held up? I'm not saying I'm against people being allowed to, it's just that to me that would be ridiculous.

I know theres a chance I might crash and die everytime I go out in my car, that doesn't mean I walk everywhere.

Rausch
03-26-2006, 05:12 AM
I know theres a chance I might crash and die everytime I go out in my car, that doesn't mean I walk everywhere.

Ever drive without yer seat belt?...

Skip Towne
03-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Two guys recently tried to rob a supermarket in Tulsa. A customer whipped out a pistol and shot one of them in the leg. The cops approved, no charges. Besides, you never know when a refrigerator might draw down on you.

old_geezer
03-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Interesting timing to me for this question. I just completed my training yesterday for concealed carry. This week I will go to my county sheriff's dept. with my training certificate to apply for my concealed carry permit. Seriously, in these classes you have to show a knowledge of your weapon AND the ability to use it safely and correctly before you are issued a certificate - not to mention a thorough background on the laws that apply to your state. I personally feel much safer knowing there are trained law-abiding citizens walking the streets carrying firearms - and the criminals don't know who they are. :thumb:

FWIW my instructor for this class is an undercover narcotics agent for the county I live in and he holds the same opinion as I do - the more armed law-abiding citizens we have on the streets, the better. Makes a criminal's job a lot harder.

UKMike
03-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Ever drive without yer seat belt?...

No I dont, wearing it is no big deal at all, its just something you do when you get in the car. Maybe to some of you carrying a gun wouldn't be a big deal and it wouldn't bother you, to me it would be a pretty big deal.

I'd say a better comparison would be if I put on a fireproof race suit and a helmet everytime I went out in the car.

I don't by the way :redface:

cdcox
03-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Besides, you never know when a refrigerator might draw down on you.

ROFL

cdcox
03-26-2006, 07:46 AM
Where does one conceal a handgun? Most men don't wear jackets these days. Ankle holster? Man purse?

dtebbe
03-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Where does one conceal a handgun? Most men don't wear jackets these days. Ankle holster? Man purse?

Here's what I use:
http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

Coupled with an alloy or titanium frame they will stay put even in elastic shorts.

DT

chiefsfaninNC
03-26-2006, 08:27 AM

Ankle holsters are for movies. Too hard to get to when you need it and your eyes come off the target as well. Untucked shirts work well to conceal. Or pack it on your hip. In many states it is legal to pack with no permits at all if you carry it in the open.

Katipan
03-26-2006, 09:50 AM
I think the concealed carry test here is a weekend course and a couple fingerprints.

They like us to carry as many guns as possible so we can shoot illegals.

Skip Towne
03-26-2006, 09:53 AM
I think the concealed carry test here is a weekend course and a couple fingerprints.

They like us to carry as many guns as possible so we can shoot illegals.
Well, you're doing a miserable job of it. You might have to be replaced.

wutamess
03-26-2006, 09:57 AM
I carry mine occassionally without a permit.

What happens if I get caught with it without a permit?

Skip Towne
03-26-2006, 10:00 AM
I carry mine occassionally without a permit.

What happens if I get caught with it without a permit?
In Oklahoma, they come down on you really hard for carrying without a permit. They look at it as a slap in the face since they gave you a chance to do it legally.

alanm
03-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Ankle holsters are for movies. Too hard to get to when you need it and your eyes come off the target as well. Untucked shirts work well to conceal. Or pack it on your hip. In many states it is legal to pack with no permits at all if you carry it in the open.
I'm all for open carry with a permit. You see Ranchers here all the time wearing a shoulder holster. Nary a crime as well. :thumb:

jspchief
03-26-2006, 10:20 AM
It's already legel in Iowa, under the proper guidelines and licensing. I'd say I'm okay with it as is.

I certainly don't want them to make it any easier. There are too many stupid hot heads that would be using them in the heat of the moment.

I tend to agree with UKmike's stance. The odds of needing one are entirely too low for me to consider it neccessary or practical.

Katipan
03-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, you're doing a miserable job of it. You might have to be replaced.

drinking is just so much more fun :(

I certainly don't want them to make it any easier. There are too many stupid hot heads that would be using them in the heat of the moment.

I tend to agree with UKmike's stance. The odds of needing one are entirely too low for me to consider it neccessary or practical.

There might be a few bloody years but eventually as no one would ever be able to tell who is carrying a gun because everyone is carrying a gun it'll balance out in some cosmic yin so no one will ever need to fire their weapons in defense and we could totally start making them in pretty colors like pink maybe even give them ring tones

jspchief
03-26-2006, 10:38 AM
drinking is just so much more fun :(

There might be a few bloody years but eventually as no one would ever be able to tell who is carrying a gun because everyone is carrying a gun it'll balance out in some cosmic yin so no one will ever need to fire their weapons in defense and we could totally start making them in pretty colors like pink maybe even give them ring tonesYea. As evidenced by those peaceful "Wild West" days.

58-4ever
03-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I'd legalize pot, too. Hell, I'd sell crack on the shelf at Osco for $0.05 per vial, which is much more in line with the actual production costs. Then crackheads wouldn't need to steal to get their fix. For a quarter they could get their fix and remove themselves from society.

This is one of the more intelligent posts I've read in a while.

58-4ever
03-26-2006, 10:42 AM
In Oklahoma, they come down on you really hard for carrying without a permit. They look at it as a slap in the face since they gave you a chance to do it legally.

which I was considering, but the process seems kind of arduous.

JBucc
I'm not so sure concealed carry would do much good. If some guy is robbing you with a gun to your head you aren't gonna have time to reach down your pants and pull our yours.(heh) I'd rather have unconcealed carry. And everyone should wear one of those bullet straps across your chest. And a bandana. That'd ward those crooks off.

Skip Towne
Yea. As evidenced by those peaceful "Wild West" days.
Yes, but most of those folks needed killing.

Katipan
03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Did cowboys have concealed carry tests?

Skip Towne
03-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Did cowboys have concealed carry tests?
Actually, most towns back then had ordinances against carrying guns. I know Coffeyville, Ks did in 1892 when the Daltons struck.

BigMeatballDave
03-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Concealed carry is legal in Ohio, but its illegal to carry a concealed weapon into a public establishment. Which begs the question; If its concealed, how would they know you're carrying one?

jspchief
03-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Did cowboys have concealed carry tests?I'm not sure the relevance of of the test or "concealed" to my point.

There are a lot of dumb hot heads in this world that do stupid things in a fit of moronic rage. The more of them that are allowed to carry guns, the more likely they start using them in their stupidity.

I don't think the fear of everyone else carrying a gun will be that effective of a deterrent.

Bwana
03-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I have one, but don't carry very often on my person. I keep a piece loaded in the center area of my jeep though.

Skip Towne
03-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Back when you were but a wee tyke?
Pretty close. My mom was born in Coffeyville in 1915.

jspchief
03-26-2006, 11:11 AM
I keep a piece loaded in the center area of my jeep though.Is that legal? I don't think you can have a loaded weapon within reach in Iowa, even with a permit to carry concealed.

Of course, they don't let us drive around with loaded rifles like they do up in your country either.

Sully
03-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Seems like a weekly occurance that you hear of a cop shooting someone who looked like they had a gun, or something similar... and they are the trained ones.
Now, we want a bunch of amateur testosterone junkies carrying without anyone knowing?
No thanks.

Bwana
03-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Is that legal? I don't think you can have a loaded weapon within reach in Iowa, even with a permit to carry concealed.

Of course, they don't let us drive around with loaded rifles like they do up in your country either.

With a permit it is indeed.

Skip Towne
03-26-2006, 11:24 AM
With a permit it is indeed.
Why would anybody get a permit to carry an unloaded gun?

Bwana
03-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Why would anybody get a permit to carry an unloaded gun?
Bad DNA? :shrug:

This should clear up a lot of questions on the CWP.
http://www.packing.org/

BigOlChiefsfan
03-26-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.a-human-right.com/introduction.html