PDA

View Full Version : Hernandez to start in AAA. Bautista moves up to 4th starter.

DeepSouth
03-27-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14198980.htm

Hernandez moved back in Royals rotationBy BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City StarSURPRISE, Ariz. — It didn’t take long for the Royals to shake up their rotation.
Revised plans call for Runelvys Hernandez to shift to the back of the group after an ineffective spring that continues to raise questions regarding his stamina and conditioning.
The Royals will now open the season with a four-man rotation of Scott Elarton, Joe Mays, Jeremy Affeldt and Denny Bautista. Hernandez was previously positioned as the No. 2 starter but now isn’t expected to make his first big-league appearance until April 14.
“We’ve just got to make sure that when he pitches,” manager Buddy Bell said, “he’s ready to give us some innings. Right now, we just want to give him two more weeks to get ready for the season. That’s all.”
Hernandez opposed the move when informed Monday morning in an extended meeting with Bell, general manager Allard Baird, pitching coach Bob McClure and other club officials.
“I’m just paranoid about starting him,” Bell said, “and him not being in the best possible condition to pitch a full season. That’s my biggest concern. I don’t know if he understands that or not.
“We’re doing what’s best for the team, and we’re doing what’s best for him. I don’t want him to get two or three starts into the season and then find out that he just wasn’t ready.”
Hernandez was not available for comment.
Bautista is the biggest beneficiary in the switch. The previous plan called for him to start the season in the minors, as the No. 5 starter, before joining the rotation April 14. He is now in line to start April 8 in the season’s fourth game.
“We wouldn’t do this,” Bell said, “if we didn’t think Denny was stretched out and ready to start.”
Hernandez, 27, created concern when he reported to camp at 280 pounds — at least 30 over his desired playing weight. He is now about 15 pounds lighter because of a diet-and-workout regimen but has yet to make it through four innings in any of his four outings against big-league opponents.
“He hasn’t looked like the Runelvys we’ve seen at times in the past,” Bell said. “I think it’s probably a combination of things, and I’ve always been concerned about it.
“We were hoping, obviously, that his stamina would be OK by the end of spring training. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. We just want to be sure.”
Hernandez started 29 games last season after missing the entire 2004 season while recovering from reconstructive elbow surgery. He was 8-14 with a 5.52 ERA but faded badly down the stretch, going 0-5 with a 9.45 ERA in his final eight starts.
■ The Royals also cut six players before departing for Monday’s game against the San Francisco Giants in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Catcher Paul Phillips was optioned to Class AAA Omaha, while infielders Alex Gordon, Chris Clapinski, Wilson Valdez, Benji Gil and Mike Coolbaugh were reassigned to minor-league camp.
Coolbaugh will be placed on Omaha’s disabled list because of a broken bone in his left forearm. The injury occurred Feb. 28 when hit by a pitch from Bautista in an intrasquad game.
The Royals now have 34 players on their big-league camp roster, including four pitchers likely to start the season on the disabled list: Zack Greinke, Mark Redman, Mike MacDougal and Bobby Madritsch.

gblowfish
03-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Because Run-Elvis is getting LAAAAARGER!!!

sedated
03-27-2006, 03:11 PM
I like this move.

Affeldt and Bautista were pitching well in the spring.

Who knew the royals would have options?

Lose Grinke, Hernandez, and Redman and still have plenty of starters.

We could still get Wood into the rotation if necessary.

DeepSouth
03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I like this move.

Affeldt and Bautista were pitching well in the spring.

Who knew the royals would have options?

Lose Grinke, Hernandez, and Redman and still have plenty of starters.

We could still get Wood into the rotation if necessary.
Woods had the best ERA out of all the young pitchers this spring. It wouldn't break my heart if he makes the 5th start on Apr 14th instead of Hernandez.

tk13
03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
ROFL

Wonder what this means when Redman is gonna be ready. That's the one good thing, we've got enough depth to force people to work. Redman's coming back, Greinke might be back by May, Madritsch could be back in a couple months, Mike Wood has shown he could start. Force him to get in shape. But I'm a big Bautista fan.

DeepSouth
03-27-2006, 03:15 PM
ROFL

Maybe this means Redman is gonna be ready. That's the one good thing, we've got enough depth to force people to work. Redman's coming back, Greinke might be back by May, Madritsch could be back in a couple months, Mike Wood has shown he could start. Force him to get in shape. But I'm a big Bautista fan.
I Like what Bell's done so far. He ain't handing these guys a job. If they don't perform, to the back of the bus. Nothing like a little competition to light a fire.

shakesthecat
03-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Good!
Albie Hernandez has been worthless this spring.

I'd much rather see Bautista, Wood, or even Howell permanently take his spot.

siberian khatru
03-27-2006, 03:19 PM

http://www.wackyneighbor.com/images/stephen_stucker.gif

ROFL

Eleazar
03-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Good move. I haven't ever been real impressed with Hernandez. Elbow surgery, one win after the all-star break last year, continually on the DL. Combine that with this spring, 30 pounds overweight, and some people to challenge him... Omaha seems like the right place.

To me, the fact that he came into camp so fat says that he's not dedicated and doesn't care about bettering himself as a pitcher. He's had a chance at the major league level. I think it's good that we have some people talented enough to challenge him. Sign we might be getting better.

beavis
03-27-2006, 03:22 PM
But I'm a big Bautista fan.
Me too, I just hope he can hold up. He's like the bizzaro Runelvys. Same problem just oppposite ends of the spectrum.

Spicy McHaggis
03-27-2006, 03:23 PM

He compared himself to Bartolo Colon once. Not quite, Hernandez.

I had high hopes for him before he had surgery, hopefully he can show something this year.

MVChiefFan
03-27-2006, 03:24 PM
What is the latest on Greinke? Does anyone know anything? I'm upset by that whole thing, Baseball Weekly predicted him to bounce back big this year (this was before the episode) and I really hoped he would.

tk13
03-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Me too, I just hope he can hold up. He's like the bizzaro Runelvys. Same problem just oppposite ends of the spectrum.
Yeah, he needs to keep his mechanics in order. His stuff is nasty... just gotta stay healthy. I just want him and Affeldt to stay healthy and get 25-30 starts and see what happens.

tk13
03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
What is the latest on Greinke? Does anyone know anything? I'm upset by that whole thing, Baseball Weekly predicted him to bounce back big this year (this was before the episode) and I really hoped he would.
An article the other day in the KC Star suggested that he's coming along and could possibly rejoin the organization in April sometime. Once he came back, he'd have to throw for 4 weeks as his own personal "spring training" before joining the team. That's probably best case scenario at this point.

Coach
03-27-2006, 03:32 PM
An article the other day in the KC Star suggested that he's coming along and could possibly rejoin the organization in April sometime. Once he came back, he'd have to throw for 4 weeks as his own personal "spring training" before joining the team. That's probably best case scenario at this point.

Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if he goes to either AA Wichita, or AAA Omaha for a few stints before rejoining the team.

MVChiefFan
03-27-2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info! That's at least some good news. He's got great stuff, if he gets his head on right then I think we could actually have a solid rotation. Man, I can't believe this but I think I'm actually starting to get excited about the season.

sedated
03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Hopefully the Grinke thing will turn out well, for him and the team.

Maybe missing the beginnning of the season and starting in AAA will relieve some pressure, he's had a lot of eyes on him since being drafted.

But the guy will probably always be a head-case. Just hope he's not a Rick Ankiel

tk13
03-27-2006, 07:14 PM
According to the kcroyals.com board... Baird said today he's still working on a possible trade that'd effect the 25 man roster. One of the possible rumors is that it's for John Thomson, starter for the Atlanta Braves.