Huston Street
Josh Beckett
Brett Meyers
John Lackey
Danny Haren

Backups:
Zach Duke
Jeff Weaver

How'd I do? Any glaring holes or weaknesses?

DeepSouth
03-27-2006, 03:11 PM
No Royals ??

Taco John
03-27-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't remember anyone drafting any Royals... :)

siberian khatru
03-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Any glaring holes or weaknesses?

Just your spelling. :p

Valiant
03-27-2006, 04:14 PM
What type of scoring and when did you draft.. How many teams??? I do not see one allstar stud on the team...

KSU_Chief
03-27-2006, 04:53 PM
um, wasn't Abreu, Jones, Lee, and Bay All-stars? And I promise you Utley will be an All-star this year as well.

Valiant
03-27-2006, 05:43 PM
um, wasn't Abreu, Jones, Lee, and Bay All-stars? And I promise you Utley will be an All-star this year as well.

Not in FB they are not...

And being a all-star means jack shit in MLB, because stats are irrelivant(sp?) its a mix between: popularity,big-city,east-west coast, and then the every team gets at least one player.. Agian there is not one FB stud on that team... also, we do not know the scoring system either...

duncan_idaho
03-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Who did you take in the first round? I'm guessing, from who you have, that you were towards the end of the draft order?

You've got two stud closers.... but your starting pitching is a little weak. Beckett is a pretty unreliable as your No. 2 starter.... and Colon isn't strong enough to make up for it...

How many teams are in your league? If Beckett gets off to a nice start, I'd dangle him and a closer (probably Nathan) for an elite starter, then find a closer on the waiver wire.Joey Devine of Atlanta is a good sleeper pick.

Elite closers are overrated...

Rain Man
03-27-2006, 06:10 PM
I've never heard of any of these people. Of course, that may be tainted by the fact that I don't ever watch baseball.

Taco John
03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
What type of scoring and when did you draft.. How many teams??? I do not see one allstar stud on the team...

We have 8 teams. We drafted yesterday.

To tell you the truth, I don't quite understand the scoring... I know that we're going head to head each week, and that the scoring is based on the following stat categories: R, H, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, E, AVG, OPS, IP, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, H, ER, BB, K, ERA, WHIP

My #1 pick was Lee. I was drafting from the #4 spot.

Taco John
03-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Not in FB they are not...

And being a all-star means jack shit in MLB, because stats are irrelivant(sp?) its a mix between: popularity,big-city,east-west coast, and then the every team gets at least one player.. Agian there is not one FB stud on that team... also, we do not know the scoring system either...

Derrek Lee was the league leader in hitting.

Jose Reyes was the league leader in stolen bases.

Andruw Jones led the majors in home runs

Colon was the AL Cy Young Award winner in 2005

Aren't these good?

This is my first year in fanatasy baseball so I'm kind of feeling around in the dark...

KSU_Chief
03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Yes, you have some studs on that team, but if it is an 8 team league, then every other team will have studs at every position as well. I try to stick with 12 team leagues so lesser known guys who produce help you win.
Good Luck, fantasy baseball is a lot of fun.

Taco John
03-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Some of my friends here talked me into it. We had a live draft yeasterday. I've been out of touch with baseball for about 10 years now, and want to use this as an opportunity to get back in the know...

Hopefully my team will at least be competitive.

Coach
03-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Derrek Lee was the league leader in hitting.

Jose Reyes was the league leader in stolen bases.

Andruw Jones led the majors in home runs

Colon was the AL Cy Young Award winner in 2005

Aren't these good?

This is my first year in fanatasy baseball so I'm kind of feeling around in the dark...

Oh yeah, they are great. But you have to hope for that all of those players repeat or perform better than their 2005 stats. Like, what Lee did in 2005 was pretty impressive. But will he continue to do that in 2006? Same for Jones, will he continue to lead the MLB in HR's or at least close to it? etc. etc.

That's what you have to watch for, the injury update and so on.

Taco John
03-27-2006, 11:19 PM
It should be a lot of fun! I'm excited about the baseball season...

Demonpenz
03-28-2006, 12:38 AM
did you even check the splits or ops of any of these guys? That team resembles a pregnant woman on a roller coaster

HolmeZz
03-28-2006, 12:39 AM
Upgrade your starters. I'd package one of your OFers(probably Hideki) and Ensberg or Chavez for a good SP or two.

Taco John
03-28-2006, 12:40 AM
I don't know if any of them can do the splits. I'm guessing no.

HolmeZz
03-28-2006, 12:45 AM
did you even check the splits or ops of any of these guys? That team resembles a pregnant woman on a roller coaster

I'm not sure what categories his league uses, but his offense looks pretty well rounded. Lee's an all around talent. Utley could be the best offensive 2B in the league this year. I don't think Ensberg will come close to what he did last season, but he's got Chavez as a backup; one of them should produce. Reyes can't get on base for shit, but he's young and still improving. He'll steal a ton of bags this season. He's got 4 good outfielders too. Nathan and Street are great for relievers. I like to pick up an extra reliever or two in case somebody goes down though. His SPs are TJ's weak spot though IMO. Colon and Beckett are his top two guys, and they're on the DL too much for my liking. And the back end is weak with guys like Lackey and Weaver. I like Duke and Haren though.

HolmeZz
03-28-2006, 12:46 AM
I don't know if any of them can do the splits. I'm guessing no.

Splits are things like Home vs. Road stats, how a player does against a right handed pitcher vs. a southpaw. If your league is on Yahoo, you should be able to check that stuff.

Taco John
03-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Yeah, it's on Yahoo. Thanks for the analysis... That's exactly the kind of feedback that I was hoping to get.

HolmeZz
03-28-2006, 12:58 AM
I dunno how many teams you've got in your league, but if any of these guys are FAs right now, I'd give them a good look:

CF Curtis Granderson, Detroit
1B Mike Jacobs, Florida
C Josh Willingham, Florida
OF Jeremy Hermida, Florida
2B Rickie Weeks, Milwaukee
1B Prince Fielder, Milwaukee
SP Erik Bedard, Baltimore
SS Bobby Crosby, Oakland
1B Dan Johnson, Oakland

All those guys went pretty late in my 12 team league draft. I ended up with:

C - Josh Willingham/Paul Lo Duca
1B - Ryan Howard
2B - Robinson Cano
3B - Aaron Boone
SS - Bobby Crosby
CI - Chris Shelton
MI - JJ Hardy
OF - Gary Sheffield
OF - Johnny Damon
OF - Garret Anderson
OF - Jonny Gomes
UTIL - Travis Hafner
BEN - Mike Jacobs
BEN - Austin Kearns
BEN - Mike Lowell
BEN - Conor Jackson

SP - Johan Santana
SP - Carlos Zambrano
SP - Mark Buehrle
SP - Mark Mulder
RP - Trevor Hoffman
RP - Keith Foulke
P - Brad Penny
BEN - Jeremy Bonderman
BEN - Erik Bedard
BEN - Brian Fuentes
BEN - Chris Reitsma
BEN - Danys Baez
BEN - Neal Cotts

Taco John
03-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Awesome man... Thanks for the list!

Taco John
03-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Should I pick up Aaron Hielman and drop Jeff Weaver?

HolmeZz
03-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Should I pick up Aaron Hielman and drop Jeff Weaver?

The Mets are leaning towards using Bannister in the 5th spot of their rotation and moving Heilman to the pen, so I wouldn't do that at the moment.

Some other names I'd keep an eye out for:

3B Edwin Encarnacion, Cincinnati
SP Oliver Perez, Pittsburgh(he was great in '04, but fallen after a terrible '05)
2B Josh Barfield, San Diego
SP Matt Cain, San Francisco
SP Jae Seo, Los Angeles Dodgers
SP Paul Maholm, Pittsburgh

Taco John
03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I've submitted a waiver request to replace Bill Hall on my roster with Eric Bedard...

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Some of my friends here talked me into it. We had a live draft yeasterday. I've been out of touch with baseball for about 10 years now, and want to use this as an opportunity to get back in the know...

Hopefully my team will at least be competitive.

You're going to do fine. The trouble with F'Baseball is that it takes too much of my time.

IN the early days of FBaseball, in the leagues I participated in, you picked your squad and stuck with them. We only made roster changes if a guy was injured.

I miss playing it. But I still pour over box scores like when I was a kid.

Enjoy. I hope it brings you back into the game.

cookster50
03-28-2006, 12:04 PM
You didn't do too good if Lee was your first choice in the 4 hole. And an 8 team league? You coulda done better. Of course, you are a donkey arse fan, so when I take that into consideration, I'd say you did better than the average donkey arse fan.

cookster50
03-28-2006, 12:07 PM
I've submitted a waiver request to replace Bill Hall on my roster with Eric Bedard...
Cancel that request, Bill Hall will be valuable to you due to his position eligibility.

HolmeZz
03-28-2006, 12:37 PM
In the middle of another 12 team draft. So far:

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Adam Dunn
2B - Jeff Kent
3B - Adrian Beltre
SS - Miguel Tejada
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - Johnny Damon
OF - Jonny Gomes
UTIL - Prince Fielder
BEN - Bobby Crosby
BEN - Curtis Granderson
BEN - Edwin Encarnacion

SP - Chris Carpenter
SP - John Smoltz
SP - Tim Hudson
RP - Eric Gagne
RP - Francisco Cordero
P - Bobby Jenks
P - Livan Hernandez
P - Joe Blanton
BEN - Jae Seo

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Pretty nice squad you're building HolmZz..