PDA

View Full Version : Shackled and Chained ! Don't you play hooky on me...

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 07:56 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11072379/

Mom shackles daughter who played hooky
Disciplinary action prompts investigation into whether it was child abuse.

BOSTON - Authorities are investigating allegations that a Massachusetts woman shackled her 14-year-old daughter in chains to teach her a lesson for skipping school.

The 37-year-old mother of four, whose name was not released, told police the same chain-and-shackle technique had proved effective with a truant son several years earlier.

“She was saying that more parents should do this because of the problems with kids today,” Blackstone Detective Wayne Mowry said.

Police have not arrested the mother but she is being investigated by state social workers, authorities said Monday.

About two weeks ago the mother bought chain and two padlocks after being told that her daughter had missed school. She tracked the girl to a shopping district, bound her daughter’s ankle to one end of the chain and shackled her own wrist to the other, and then drove to their home in Blackstone, about 35 miles southwest of Boston, police said.

A police officer who pulled the woman’s car over because it did not have a license plate discovered the two chained together but he let them go because he had to respond to a more urgent call, Mowry said.

Police who visited the woman’s home later found the daughter’s ankles chained together as she helped her mother cook dinner, Mowry said.

“The kid was actually upset that we were there,” she said.

“She was sticking up for her mother.”

Police removed the shackles from the girl, who they said appeared physically unharmed.

“It was a bad choice,” Mowry said. “But the intent wasn’t to hurt her daughter. And there doesn’t seem to be a pattern at all of any type of abuse or neglect.”

A spokesman for the Massachusetts Department of Social Services said authorities are unlikely to take the children from the mother unless they uncover evidence that the children are in danger, a department spokesman said.

jspchief
03-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a smart mom.

Dartgod
03-28-2006, 08:16 AM
I see nothing wrong with this at all as long as the child was not physically harmed.

jidar
03-28-2006, 08:19 AM
It's odd, but I really don't see what's wrong with it.

Katipan
03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
It's odd and gross, but parents have little leashes for their toddlers and that's "ok"...

Demonpenz
03-28-2006, 08:43 AM
thats probably how she was concieved

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 08:45 AM
As a parent, you do what is right, what will work. Kids have a mind of their own, if you can't reach them early, it's easy to lose them.

We make ours stand up in a corner, with their nose to the wall, they hate it.

It wasn't too long ago, some woman put her kid on the curb for something. Wasn't it homework or something to do with grades ?

PastorMikH
03-28-2006, 08:48 AM
That is SOOOO wrong! To chain her daughter up like that is ridiculous. She should have beat the girl sensless with a club for skipping school.

Geesh, why is it the only parents that don't seem to get into trouble are the ones that just let their kids run free with no rules or discipline? I had to deal once with a family that got turned into social services for using a belt to spank their kid. I told the detective that their kid was a well-behaved kid that shows respect, obviously something is working here and that I felt it was a lot more abusive to just let kids run free like a lot of the parents in that community did.

As for this case, sounds to me like some inovative parenting. Shoot, I'd bet I could get turned in to for handcuffing two of my daughters together for fighting - but they not only quit, but after the 2nd or 3rd time, they had figured out they better calm down and work things out or they would be linked for a while. In other words, it worked.

PastorMikH
03-28-2006, 08:55 AM
We make ours stand up in a corner, with their nose to the wall, they hate it.

ROYIII!!!! I TOLD YOU NOT TO BE SURFING GIRLIE SITES ON MY WORK COMPUTER!!!!! NOW GO STAND IN THE CORNER!!!!!!!!

:)

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 09:02 AM
ROYIII!!!! I TOLD YOU NOT TO BE SURFING GIRLIE SITES ON MY WORK COMPUTER!!!!! NOW GO STAND IN THE CORNER!!!!!!!!

:)

Ha Ha, it didn't work to well with him because of his little problem, but the grandkids hate it as much as the older 3 kids of ous did.

On a side note, my fathe wouldn't have made it in this day and age of society. He whooped us , belt, switch, whatever was around, when he told us once, there was no second time. Err rather the 2nd time was punishment for not listening.

Wonder what the social worker would say about 2 boys with boxing gloves on, beating the snot out of eachother because of fighting, then getting a whipping afterwards.

PastorMikH
03-28-2006, 10:56 AM
On a side note, my fathe wouldn't have made it in this day and age of society. He whooped us , belt, switch, whatever was around, when he told us once, there was no second time. Err rather the 2nd time was punishment for not listening.

Heh, that was back in the day when kids behaved because they feared the punishment. Wonder how much different the kids of today would be with that kind of disciplinarian support.

Dartgod
03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Heh, that was back in the day when kids behaved because they feared the punishment. Wonder how much different the kids of today would be with that kind of disciplinarian support.
When I was a kid, the worse sound in the world was the sound of your dad's belt clearin' loops.

PastorMikH
03-28-2006, 01:25 PM
When I was a kid, the worse sound in the world was the sound of your dad's belt clearin' loops.

Th-th-th-th-th-th-th-THWAP!

For me it was the clammer of the paddle being taken off the hook by my mom. I could hear that thing just about anywhere in the house.

Anyone here ever have to go and cut your own switch?

morphius
03-28-2006, 01:28 PM

For me it was the clammer of the paddle being taken off the hook by my mom. I could hear that thing just about anywhere in the house.

No, but my Mom did when she was younger, but you are probably close in age.

MOhillbilly
03-28-2006, 01:43 PM

friend of my moms said her mother told her to go find a switch. Roxie came back in and told her mom ' i couldnt find a switch, so just hit me w/ this rock"ROFL

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 01:49 PM

Yep, and ya better not get a dry one either or you got it twice as hard.

We had 3 apple trees in our yard....... we never ran out of switches.

MOhillbilly
03-28-2006, 02:00 PM
remember the charmin commercials from the 80s? the one where the kid stuffed TP down his britches before he took a beating?

ranks right up there w/ the " I LEARNED IT BY WATCHING YOU" psa about pot.

Dartgod
03-28-2006, 02:01 PM
My brother and I came up with this plan once that we would start screaming bloody murder on the first swat. Maybe dear ol' dad might have some mercy on us. Well, it worked and we each only got two swats.

He sent us to our room where we started giggling about getting over on dad. He walked by the room and heard what was going on. Let's just say he was not happy...

HemiEd
03-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks, I had managed to push that memory clear out my mind.

Grandpa cuttin' a willow switch really sucked too.

Prince22
03-28-2006, 02:08 PM
thats probably how she was concieved
ROFL

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Every parent should be issued a cat 'o nine tails upon leaving the hospital.

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 02:24 PM
My brother and I came up with this plan once that we would start screaming bloody murder on the first swat. Maybe dear ol' dad might have some mercy on us. Well, it worked and we each only got two swats.

He sent us to our room where we started giggling about getting over on dad. He walked by the room and heard what was going on. Let's just say he was not happy...

My brother one time went to his room, put on his long johns and 2 pairs of pants. Dad whooped him, tore the switch up, it still had to hurt, looked at him, told him to strip down and busted his ass after cutting another switch.

:shake:

One time dad got us boxing gloves to settle a fight, then busted our ass afterwards.