PDA

View Full Version : Huggins : Win at all cost.......

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 05:42 PM
He really wants to win ...... There goes KSU's payroll, out the roof, let's buy us a chance for a championship...... A Chance.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9343554

Just Hugs being Hugs? Practice not illegal, but not right

Gregg Doyel March 28, 2006
By Gregg Doyel
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Less than a week on the job at Kansas State, and Bob Huggins is already being Bob Huggins. In other words, he's doing whatever it takes to win. Win at all costs? No, not quite that -- but close. Awfully, awfully close.

Huggins' staff composition already has one package deal in the makings -- hire a coach, get a player -- with the mother of all package deals in the works for one year from now.

It didn't take long for Bob Huggins' first questionable move. (AP)
It didn't take long for Bob Huggins' first questionable move. (AP)
As far as the NCAA is concerned, there's nothing illegal about the kind of package deal Huggins is blatantly pursuing by hiring Dalonte Hill away from Charlotte. Hill, a nondescript assistant for the 49ers, is joining Huggins' staff for one reason, and one reason only: Hill is tight with Michael Beasley, one of the top five players from the high school class of 2007.

How tight? Beasley is a 6-foot-9 small forward -- think Carmelo Anthony, only bigger -- who

He could play anywhere in America, and last year he committed to play for little ol' Charlotte.

That tight.

Beasley won't go to Charlotte now, of course. He'll go to Kansas State. Nothing has been announced, and nothing is official, but that's what the hiring of Dalonte Hill really means. It has nothing to do with Dalonte Hill. It has everything to do with Michael Beasley.

Worst of all? To get Beasley, Huggins stuck a metaphorical knife in Bobby Lutz's back.

Lutz is the coach at Charlotte, and when Huggins was run out of Cincinnati in August, Lutz was immediately rumored to be one of the candidates that Cincinnati would consider. Lutz took care of that in September when he attended a roast for Huggins in Cincinnati and took a shot at UC president Nancy Zimpher.

"America is a great country," Lutz said, "because if Nancy Zimpher can be president of the University of Cincinnati, anything is possible."

That was Lutz sticking up for Huggins at Huggins' lowest point. So how does Huggins repay Lutz? By hiring away Dalonte Hill, which means stealing -- yes, stealing -- Charlotte's most highly regarded recruit in program history, Michael Beasley. With Beasley in two years, Lutz has the kind of Atlantic 10 team George Washington had this season: dominant. But this isn't about Lutz. This is about Huggins.

A Kansas State spokesman told CBS SportsLine.com that Huggins was on the road recruiting, and unavailable for comment. Hill also was unavailable. Kansas State athletics director Tim Weiser was available, and while he didn't embrace the notion of a package deal (Hill and Beasley) he defended Huggins' right to hire his staff as he sees fit.

"We're always going to be concerned about perception, but it's the issue of perception vs. reality," Weiser said. "Every head coach I've hired (in every sport), I've allowed them to hire who they want as assistant coaches unless they have NCAA baggage. Unless there's NCAA violations or criminal history with an assistant coach, I allow my head coaches to make that hire."

Weiser went on to point out that "package deals" -- or the perception of them -- happen all over college basketball. Indeed, it happened last year at Kansas State, when Jim Wooldridge tried to hire at least two junior college coaches (who had recruits available) before hiring Detroit high school coach Ben Kelso ... and then signing Kelso's best player, Deilvez Yearby.

Down the road, Kansas has a history of (perceived) package deals -- from Larry Brown hiring Danny Manning's father in 1983 to Bill Self hiring Mario Chalmers' father last year.

Package deals happen. They're not illegal, though they should be. Here's why: A college coach cannot give a recruit $5 without being guilty of a recruiting violation. But a college coach can hire a staff member for $120,000, knowing full well that the staff member will help bring a blue-chip recruit? That's not illegal, but it's ugly as hell.

But Huggins isn't done. The same people who told CBS SportsLine.com about Huggins' pursuit of Dalonte Hill last week also confirm Huggins' next package deal -- and it's enormous.

Next year Huggins plans to hire Dwaine Barnes, probably as his director of basketball operations.

Who is Dwaine Barnes? He's the AAU coach and legal guardian of 6-4 point guard O.J. Mayo and 6-5 shooting guard Bill Walker of North College Hill (Ohio), two future NBA All-Stars who will spend one year on campus -- at Kansas State, once Huggins hires Barnes. Mayo is the best point guard prospect since Jason Kidd. Walker is a Vince Carter-like athlete.

In two years, Kansas State could have a starting lineup of 7-2 Jason Bennett at center, Beasley and 6-9 Herb Pope at forward, with Mayo and Walker at guard. Five years from now, that lineup could win in the NBA.

Huggins is no joke. He didn't go to Kansas State to win a little. He went there to win big, and if he can stay out of trouble, he'll do just that. His hiring was controversial, but at his introductory news conference Huggins defended himself with his misleadingly soft voice.

"I don't think I'm a bad guy," Huggins told the Kansas City Star. "If you go and talk to people who know me, you won't find anybody who says bad things."

Really? Anyone got Bobby Lutz's number?

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 05:44 PM
What a lineup.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 05:45 PM
****ing awesome.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm loving this publicity. The recruits love it too.

Coach
03-28-2006, 05:49 PM
ROFL

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 05:50 PM
I know i'm getting ahead of myself, but the possibility of the #1, #2, #3 and #7 ranked prospects in the nation playing for K-State gets me absolutely giddy.

Having a 7-2 5* rated center playing for us next season is pretty cool, too.

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
That would be alot of talent, does KSU have that much money to shell out.

Reaper16
03-28-2006, 05:54 PM
!!!
K-State is not ****ing around at all! And we think KU's past few recruiting classes have been great. Holy crap.

40 Min of Hell, Rock Chalk; they're nothing compared to three Top 5 recruits and another couple Top 15's.

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Mostly 1 year players, he better be good at getting 1 year players and making them jell in one season.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Mostly 1 year players, he better be good at getting 1 year players and making them jell in one season.
With the 5/8 rule abolished, does it really matter anymore?

nychief
Silo University.

KCFalcon59
Way to go Huggins. Looks like K-State will be better sooner rather than later. I feel a rivalry really heating up. That's good all the way around.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Silo University.
The University of Missouri.

Much more amusing.

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
With the 5/8 rule abolished, does it really matter anymore?

Yes it does, they still have to adapt to his style and jell within the season, something that is very hard to do with young kids. Many teams have found this out, look at KU this past season with it's young class.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Yes it does, they still have to adapt to his style and jell within the season, something that is very hard to do with young kids. Many teams have found this out, look at KU this past season with it's young class.
KU had a great recruiting class with 100 players, and they are all staying. They had a pretty good year, too.

teedubya
03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
im glad I dont hate KState... if MU got Huggins, I would be a bit pissed... this is good for the state of basketball in Kansas.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Silo University.

On ESPN....

Mecca
03-28-2006, 06:08 PM
No matter what happens, I'm just glad Huggins will bring amusement in one way or another to the Big 12.

ROYC75
03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Now that Willie the Wildcat has something to cheer about in basketball, what's KSU's football team going to do this year..... I haven't a clue, I don't pay too much attention to college football.

dtrain
03-28-2006, 06:11 PM

New NBA rule players can't come out until 2 years after graduation if i'm not mistaken.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Now that Willie the Wildcat has something to cheer about in basketball, what's KSU's football team going to do this year..... I haven't a clue, I don't pay too much attention to college football.

We'll talk football later. Right now, I'm still on a Huggins high.

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Silo University.
Get it right. It's Silo Tech or Kow Shit University.

nychief
03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Get it right. It's Silo Tech or Kow Shit University.

thank you... I went to NYjew.

CoMoChief
03-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Wow. Self better start playing Roy ball if he wants to compete with KSU's potential lineup.

PG - OJ Mayo
SG - Bill Walker
SF - Michael Beasley
PF - Maybe Marquise Hayden will come back??? jk haha. He had potential to be good though.
C - Jason Bennett

This Dwaine Barnes guy would be a good hire IMO because he would have ties to all of those AAU players that his kids played with. This is nothing more than what KU did with Chalmers. Is this a dirty way to recruit? Maybe, but compared to some schools alumni members paying kids under the table, this is hardly an infraction.

4th and Long
03-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Any bets on how long it takes to see a, "Huggins/KSU violate NCAA rules." headline? :D

PastorMikH
03-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Here's to hoping Huggy can pull of a complete 360 degree turnaround of the KSU Bball program!

:thumb:

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Here's to hoping Huggy can pull of a complete 360 degree turnaround of the KSU Bball program!

I just heard on the Tulsa news that Calipari is on the short list to replace Sampson. The Pastor will have an orgasm and Psicosis will jump off a bridge. The Big XII is going to be loaded. The MVC will cry when we take all their bids to the Dance.

PastorMikH
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
I just heard on the Tulsa news that Calipari is on the short list to replace Sampson. The Pastor will have an orgasm and Psicosis will jump off a bridge. The Big XII is going to be loaded. The MVC will cry when we take all their bids to the Dance.

Sampson was a lot of the reason why I liked OU BBall. We'll see what happens with the new HC. Cali was one name I thought could show up. Just as long as OU doesn't bring Billy Tubbs back. I couldn't stand him.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 06:57 PM

I'll settle for 180.

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Sampson was a lot of the reason why I liked OU BBall. We'll see what happens with the new HC. Cali was one name I thought could show up. Just as long as OU doesn't bring Billy Tubbs back. I couldn't stand him.
I hated Tubbs as well. KU didn't give him a look when Roy was hired. Another name they mentioned was Hobbs, the head coach at George Washington. (not George Mason)

alanm
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Any bets on how long it takes to see a, "Huggins/KSU violate NCAA rules." headline? :D
Probably along the same time when the GPA hits the headlines.
No joke guys starting next year you have to graduate certain percentage of players in all sports or you lose schlorships. And KState is near the bottom of the Big 12. I believe the only exceptions will be transfers and guys who leave for the Pros. From what I understand they were held against you but not now.
All I'm saying it's going to bite teams like Texas, Oklahoma St. well a lot of the south anyway. Guess academics aren't as important down in Texas.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
You're full of shit, alanm. Baseball was our only sport that had a lower than average GSR. Everything else was near the top.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
And KState is near the bottom of the Big 12.

Bwaaahaaaaa

Link alanm?

alanm
03-28-2006, 07:40 PM
You're full of shit, alanm. Baseball was our only sport that had a lower than average GSR. Everything else was near the top.
I'll have to get back with you on the link later William and Saul. I'm at school at the moment but I believe it was USA today that had all the GPA's listed for the major conferences. And Saul baseball is down there at the bottom of most schools. Because most of those guys leave early anyway.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah, find the link. :rolleyes:

Is it in the same place as all those 5* recruits Bill Callahan has signed?

alanm
03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah, find the link. :rolleyes:

Is it in the same place as all those 5* recruits Bill Callahan has signed?
You just really hate the possible thought of losing schlorships in football and basketball don't you. ROFL
Just don't be suprised when it starts happening in the near future.

PastorMikH
03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
I'll settle for 180.

:shake: :shake: :shake:

If that's the case, just keep 'em on the current course.

PastorMikH
03-28-2006, 07:55 PM
I believe the only exceptions will be transfers and guys who leave for the Pros.

KSU shouldn't have to worry about that one.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13002

KevB
03-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Why would Calipari leave Memphis for OU? He wasn't interested in the Indiana or MU job...how's a football school going to convince him to move?

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Why would Calipari leave Memphis for OU? He wasn't interested in the Indiana or MU job...how's a football school going to convince him to move?
How? $$$$$$$$ is how. OU has unbelievable resources. Oil millionaires for donors. And they want to win in both football and basketball especially against Texas. They have been to the Dance 11 of the past 12 years and will buy whoever they need to buy to keep doing it. I read somewhere that the Norman airport is the 3rd busiest in the nation on football gamedays. OU's stadium seats more than Arrowhead. It's my guess that if they want Calipari they will get him.

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 08:43 PM
How? $$$$$$$$ is how. OU has unbelievable resources. Oil millionaires for donors. And they want to win in both football and basketball especially against Texas. They have been to the Dance 11 of the past 12 years and will buy whoever they need to buy to keep doing it. I read somewhere that the Norman airport is the 3rd busiest in the nation on football gamedays. OU's stadium seats more than Arrowhead. It's my guess that if they want Calipari they will get him.
Another interesting story about how OU got so powerful in football. After the dustbowl days of the thirties, the state of Oklahoma had a terrible image what with all the Okies moving to California. (Will Rogers said it raised the IQ of both states). Rather than an advertising campaign, the state legislature decided to subsidize OU football to gain recognition for the state. They created Bud Wilkinson and the nations longest Div. 1 winning streak at 47 games. That record still stands 50 years later. KU has a lot of wealthy donors but we can't get OU started when it comes to money.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 08:57 PM
:shake: :shake: :shake:

If that's the case, just keep 'em on the current course.

Wouldn't a 360 mean you're back where you started? (ya know, that whole full circle thing.)

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Worst of all? To get Beasley, Huggins stuck a metaphorical knife in Bobby Lutz's back

Not so fast, Mr. Doyel....

http://charlotte.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=528598

Initially when I heard about Charlotte assistant Dalonte Hill heading to Kansas State to join former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins' staff, I thought back to when former Charlotte assistant Rob Moxley was rumored to be leaving for Maryland.

Being pretty tight with coach Mox, I called him up. I knew he was gone when I heard that his voicemail had changed from his actual voice to a generic one. Same situation with coach Hill.

He's gone. A done deal to K-State, but, though unofficial, that's nearly common knowledge now.

Hill said Huggins contacted Charlotte head coach Bobby Lutz about talking with Hill concerning the open assistant job. Lutz agreed and the rest is a historic mess for Charlotte.
Why? Hill was the lone reason that Michael Beasley – rated the No. 3 player in the class of 2007 and more recently named to the Parade All America second team – gave Charlotte a verbal commitment. Beasley has told me more times than I can remember that the best thing about Charlotte was Hill. Beasley always says that he trusts Hill and knows that he has Beasley's best interest in mind.

Hill coached Beasley on the DC Assault AAU team before taking the Charlotte job.

"I've had three good years at Charlotte," Hill said. "I just felt like it was a good career move."

Great career move for Hill. Even the most avid Niner fan would have to agree that the job is more than attractive. But that means bad news for Charlotte.

Simply put, Beasley is not coming to Charlotte. Write it down, mark it in stone, copy and paste this sentence on every message board from here to Manhattan, Kansas.

NCAA rules prohibit college coaches from commenting on unsigned recruits, so obviously Hill couldn't confirm this, but a reliable source confirms Beasley's no longer the Niner savior.

He's heading to K – State with Hill. What's the draw? It's Beasley being part of what would be the greatest class ever signed. Ohio phenom O.J. Mayo, No. 1 rated player in the class of 2007, and his teammate Bill Walker, No. 2 rated player in 2007, are said to be shoe-ins to K – State now that Huggins is there. The addition of Beasley would give K – State the greatest recruiting class ever. Not to mention the Cats are in serious contention for a few other top 30 prospects.

This class would make the Fab Five look like the Little Giants.

What better way to erase Huggins' negative past than to haul in that type of load?

So Beasley's either going to be a Cat or he's headed to prep school, but either way he won't wear Niner green.

It's a similar situation Charlotte was in with Martin Iti in 2003. Former assistant Kevin Nickelberry, now at Clemson, brought in Iti, a highly rated center from Durham Mount Zion. But before Iti played a game at Charlotte Nickelberry left.

Difference here is Iti was signed, which would be more of a headache if he wanted to follow Nickelberry than just retracting a verbal commitment.

There's no word yet on Hill's replacement, but the void will be felt until the Niners land another All American caliber player.

Granted All American isn't the same as No. 3 in the respective class (No. 1 depending on who you ask), but it would be a step in moving on.
======================================================

ferrarispider95
03-28-2006, 09:29 PM
F*CK YEA - EXCELLENT HIRE

KevB
03-28-2006, 09:33 PM

Memphis already pays the guy $1.5M, and they're about to give him a raise. He owns the city of Memphis, has facilities as nice as any in the country, he sits in a fertile recruiting area on top of his national recruiting appeal, he has access to private planes and fortune 500 $$ in FedEx and AutoZone among others. The guy isn't going to a school where he'll be playing 2nd fiddle to football, I don't care how you try to justify it.

Eleazar
03-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the people that made this possible. Mike Alden and the Missouri board of curators.

Reaper16
03-28-2006, 09:42 PM
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the people that made this possible. Mike Alden and the Missouri board of curators.
Exactly what I was thinking. I like Anderson all right, but its sure going to look like a mistake when K-State goes to the Final Four.

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Memphis already pays the guy $1.5M, and they're about to give him a raise. He owns the city of Memphis, has facilities as nice as any in the country, he sits in a fertile recruiting area on top of his national recruiting appeal, he has access to private planes and fortune 500 $$ in FedEx and AutoZone among others. The guy isn't going to a school where he'll be playing 2nd fiddle to football, I don't care how you try to justify it.
It's all about money. OU has a lot more of it than Memphis does. His recruiting area isn't limited by going to OU. Access to private planes? OU will GIVE him a private plane. Would you rather own the city of Memphis or the whole state of Oklahoma? OU has been to far more Dances than Memphis has plus he gets to play in a major conference for the first time. No to mention the national exposure he will get at OU that he won't get at Memphis. If OU seriously wants him, they will get him.

tk13
03-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Doug Gottlieb on ESPN radio tonight mentioned Calipari's name first when talking about the OU job. Which I know doesn't mean anything, I'm not sure he even has inside information. His reasoning was 100% money, that OU has much deeper pockets and they're in a "major" conference, if they wanted to go after him they could make a very lucrative offer.

jspchief
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Gregg Doyel is a hack and a shit stirrer.

Eleazar
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. I like Anderson all right, but its sure going to look like a mistake when K-State goes to the Final Four.

That's what I think.

I'm more than willing to give Mike Anderson all the time he needs. It will take a while to build a program. But when Huggins pulls in all these money recruits and takes the team from ashes deep into the tournament, there will be a lot of crying.

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Doug Gottlieb on ESPN radio tonight mentioned Calipari's name first when talking about the OU job. Which I know doesn't mean anything, I'm not sure he even has inside information. His reasoning was 100% money, that OU has much deeper pockets and they're in a "major" conference, if they wanted to go after him they could make a very lucrative offer.
Yep, OU usually gets what they want. The only way KU has ever stayed ahead of them in basketball is KU's tradition. We could never compete with them moneywise. Who else could besides Texas?

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Dammit. I just hate it when I agree with you. :p

Mr. Kotter
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
I just skimmed the thread....but I was disappointed not to see anyone mention Larry Brown hiring Danny Manning's old man, starting KU's return to glory....

I have no problems with this; it's too bad for the Charlotte coach, but that's the way it's played....

As for KSU getting these players, even as a KU fan I think it will be exciting to see; good for the conference....and great for the state of Kansas.

Good stuff, as long as Huggins can stay clean and keep the school on the straight and narrow....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Maybe we can have a KU-WSU-KSU final four soon. Heh. ROFL

Eleazar
03-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Maybe we can have a KU-WSU-KSU final four soon. Heh. ROFL

You gotta get out of the first round, don't get ahead of yourself :p

Mr. Kotter
03-28-2006, 10:45 PM
You gotta get out of the first round, don't get ahead of yourself :p

Eh, good point. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:(

Skip Towne
03-28-2006, 10:49 PM
That's what I think.

I'm more than willing to give Mike Anderson all the time he needs. It will take a while to build a program. But when Huggins pulls in all these money recruits and takes the team from ashes deep into the tournament, there will be a lot of crying.
Well, it's starting to look like Mizzou came up with the short end of the stick but these things have a way of turning around. For instance, when Roy Williams was announced as KANSAS coach in 1989, there were a lot of boos. Then look what happened. I got completely off the MUrons ass several months ago. I wish them well.

Eleazar
03-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Well, it's starting to look like Mizzou came up with the short end of the stick but these things have a way of turning around. For instance, when Roy Williams was announced as KANSAS coach in 1989, there were a lot of boos. Then look what happened. I got completely off the MUrons ass several months ago. I wish them well.

Are you feeling ok? :hmmm:

KevB
03-28-2006, 10:54 PM
It's all about money. OU has a lot more of it than Memphis does. His recruiting area isn't limited by going to OU. Access to private planes? OU will GIVE him a private plane. Would you rather own the city of Memphis or the whole state of Oklahoma? OU has been to far more Dances than Memphis has plus he gets to play in a major conference for the first time. No to mention the national exposure he will get at OU that he won't get at Memphis. If OU seriously wants him, they will get him.

If it's all about money at OU, why is Calipari currently making 33% more money than the successful Kelvin Sampson? It's all about money in football, but that basketball program doesn't have the wide open pockets you're describing. If Memphis bumps Calipari up to 2 million.....how far do you think OU is willing to go for their basketball coach? I'm thinking I've heard Stoops makes somewhere between 2 and 3 million, and that's with OU fighting off college and NFL offers left and right.

Memphis gets as much national exposure as OU. They played double digit games on national TV, albeit many were pre-conference. They were a #1 seed....I'd say you don't get that without national exposure. He routinely gets top 10 recruiting classes....national exposure.

You think he'd own the whole state with OSU also in state.....right. As to how many dances they've been to recently....do you think Calipari cares? He has the Memphis program rolling right now.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2006, 10:54 PM
I just skimmed the thread....but I was disappointed not to see anyone mention Larry Brown hiring Danny Manning's old man, starting KU's return to glory....

That's because it's in the article.

KevB
03-28-2006, 10:57 PM
In today's Memphis paper:

Amid rumors and speculation, John Calipari was clear. So long as the University of Memphis is "fair" and stays committed to having a "Top 10 basketball program" he will continue to coach the Tigers even if the likes of Indiana come calling.

"Why would I leave? We have a Top 10 program. Why would I choose to leave?" Calipari said Monday night after a newspaper report -- one he ultimately disputed -- named him as the leading candidate at Indiana. "I know how high the expectations are (at Memphis), and if I didn't think this program could meet those expectations, then I wouldn't stay. But I think we can meet the high expectations people have."

Calipari's comments came on the same day a report in The Bloomington (Ind.) Herald-Times suggested he was the top candidate at Indiana and cited unnamed sources stating he was already "negotiating" with the school. "I haven't negotiated with anybody," Calipari said. "That's not true."

Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson said Monday nobody from Indiana or a firm working on behalf of Indiana had contacted him seeking permission to speak with Calipari, which is a general courtesy in most coaching searches. Johnson added he plans to meet with Calipari soon and implied he will likely redo parts of his contract that already runs through 2010 and pays the Tiger coach nearly $1.5 million per year.

"John has done a great job, and we want to recognize that," Johnson said in reference to a 33-4 campaign that ended with Saturday's loss to UCLA in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. "Obviously, I will do anything possible to keep him and his staff."

According to Calipari, it shouldn't take much. Time after time Monday, he said he did not want to "go back-and-forth" with Johnson and only desired to have all aspects of his program rival those of other Top 10 programs.

Among the things Calipari mentioned are increased salaries for his assistant coaches and assurances that neither the academic funding nor the recruiting budget nor the number of chartered flights the Tigers enjoy during the season will be decreased. Beyond that, he offered few specifics while only repeating that if the UofM continues to show the commitment it's forever shown then he is committed to remaining its basketball coach.

"They've always been more than fair to me, so I don't expect anything other than that they're going to be more than fair," Calipari said. "I want to be the coach here. I think they want me to be the coach here. Let's just go."

With that, it appears Calipari is all but certain to return to Memphis for a seventh season. Now the question is whether he'll be joined by freshman Shawne Williams and sophomore Darius Washington.

On Monday, Calipari said he still hasn't sat down with either player, and that no decision is imminent. But he placed the early odds at "60-40" that both Williams and Washington will enter the NBA Draft.

"Right now I think Shawne would be in the middle of the first round, and Darius would be late in the first round," Calipari said. "But all I'm going to do is get them all the information they need, and then let them make a decision. It's not about us. It's about what's best for those two kids."

Mr. Kotter
03-28-2006, 10:57 PM
That's because it's in the article.

Hey, I skimmed that too. Heh. :shrug:

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2006, 10:58 PM
I'd really like to know how you guys can root for teams who are headed by obvious scumbags like Kelvin Sampson, who couldn't graduate Einstein from elementary math, and Bob Huggins, who just pulled one of the most underhanded backstabbing jobs I've seen lately. If you have to cheat to win it's not worth winning. It's funny how many people on this board bitch about the Broncos violating the cap in their Super Bowl years, yet condone this kind of Bullshit.

Mr. Kotter
03-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I'd really like to know how you guys can root for teams who are headed by obvious scumbags like Kelvin Sampson, who couldn't graduate Einstein from elementary math, and Bob Huggins, who just pulled one of the most underhanded backstabbing jobs I've seen lately. If you have to cheat to win it's not worth winning. It's funny how many people on this board bitch about the Broncos violating the cap in their Super Bowl years, yet condone this kind of Bullshit.

Grow-up.

Cheat? Or push the envelope?

When your guy does it, it's fine as long as he doesn't cross the line, or end up legally breaking rules or the law.

When the other guys do it, it's fair game for smack....but unless he breaks rules or the law, it's nothing more.

It's like being pregnant. Either you are, or you aren't--either he breaks the rules or he doesn't. If he doesn't get nailed for it, no one really cares.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Grow-up.

Cheat? Or push the envelope?

When your guy does it, it's fine as long as he doesn't cross the line, or end up legally breaking rules or the law.

When the other guys do it, it's fair game for smack....but unless he breaks rules or the law, it's nothing more.

It's like being pregnant. Either he breaks the rules or he doesn't. If he doesn't get nailed for it, no one really cares.

How full of shit you really are. The limits have no end. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't want the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl on a Don Denkinger-esque call. It taints the victory. By your logic, what Bonds, McGwire and Sosa did is perfectly acceptable because there were no rules against steroid use in baseball. The fact of the matter is it tarnishes the legacy of the players and games.

Mr. Kotter
03-28-2006, 11:12 PM
How full of shit you really are. The limits have no end. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't want the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl on a Don Denkinger-esque call. It taints the victory. By your logic, what Bonds, McGwire and Sosa did is perfectly acceptable because there were no rules against steroid use in baseball. The fact of the matter is it tarnishes the legacy of the players and games.

Either it's legal, or it's not. If no rules were broken, or laws violated--no foul in my book. If you don't play the way others are playing, you'll be left behind. No one besides you and a handful of others really care.

Would I prefer they do it cleanly? Would I prefer they all be honorable and admirable? Do I think student-athletes should be students first, and athletes second? Do I think coaches should strive to do what's right? Do I think coaches should make a real attempt to graduate all their players?

Hell, yes. Of course, I'd PREFER if it is like that....I'm just being realistic. Idealism is a nice place to visit, but most of us live in the real world.

;)

KevB
03-28-2006, 11:14 PM

I'm just glad you're able to read a column by Greg Doyel and know, without reservation, exactly how the "back-stabbing" went down. We're fortunate to have such insight on the board.

Doyel probably has a Charlotte insider, who's pissed about losing a player, feeding him their side of the story. Huggins asked for permission from Lutz. If Lutz wanted to keep the guy, pay him more money. Better yet, convince the guy Charlotte is a better place for him. Even if the story is somewhat true.....if you think that's cheating you have a very naive understanding of college athletics.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm just glad you're able to read a column by Greg Doyel and know, without reservation, exactly how the "back-stabbing" went down. We're fortunate to have such insight on the board.

Doyel probably has a Charlotte insider, who's pissed about losing a player, feeding him their side of the story. Huggins asked for permission from Lutz. If Lutz wanted to keep the guy, pay him more money. Better yet, convince the guy Charlotte is a better place for him. Even if the story is somewhat true.....if you think that's cheating you have a very naive understanding of college athletics.

Because god knows, this in know way is an indication of a person's likelihood to cheat, wait one week until you stab someone in the back in a b.s. move to try and get a player to come to your shit program. Huggins is a scumbag, the fact that anyone at K-state would want a piece of shit like him is indicative of how low they've fallen, not how high they'll go. If I feel like composing a scroll, sometime I'll list a partial rap sheet of his former players.

Mecca
03-28-2006, 11:25 PM
In the words of Bob Huggins.....all they talk about is the arrests not the convictions.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Here's a blurb about Huggins when rumors swirled about him possibly going to MU:

Here's what maybe they don't want to see that also comes along with Huggins: A coach who was arrested for drunken driving and fired from his last job. ... An assistant coach arrested for driving under the influence. ... Numerous players arrested for driving under the influence. ... A player arrested for carrying a handgun. ... A player arrested for punching a police horse. ... A player arrested and indicted for kidnapping a roommate, taping him to a lawn chair, pounding him on the head with a weight-lifting bar, then burning him with cigarettes and a hot coat hanger."

Kotter, your blurb about realism is nothing other than a bullshit excuse to justify the fact that you don't want to be wrong.

tk13
03-28-2006, 11:40 PM
There is some truth to that. College athletics is a very underhanded sport.... especially a big money sport like basketball. The stuff that probably goes on at places like KU, MU, and even KSU... is probably more underhanded than anything the Broncos do. I'm all for paying college athletes. Not millions of dollars but giving them something back. It'd be a lot better than putting on the whole "student-athlete" facade. Let's be serious about what it is, minor league pro basketball.

KevB
03-29-2006, 01:36 AM
Because god knows, this in know way is an indication of a person's likelihood to cheat, wait one week until you stab someone in the back in a b.s. move to try and get a player to come to your shit program. Huggins is a scumbag, the fact that anyone at K-state would want a piece of shit like him is indicative of how low they've fallen, not how high they'll go. If I feel like composing a scroll, sometime I'll list a partial rap sheet of his former players.

Man, you've got some pent up aggression you need to work out. Go for a run, kick your dog, whatever.

chagrin
03-29-2006, 07:40 AM
There goes your graduation rate, if you care about such things

Mr. Kotter
03-29-2006, 08:02 AM

Kotter, your blurb about realism is nothing other than a bullshit excuse to justify the fact that you don't want to be wrong.

Arrests don't equal conviction. You of all people should know that, with all the whining you do about victimization of minorities.....

dr00d
03-29-2006, 10:03 AM
ziiiiiiiiiing!

I'm still doing backflips on the huggy hire, let alone possibly one of the greatest recruiting classes in the sport!

wowowowowowowowowowow!

ku fans, start trembling now :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Arrests don't equal conviction. You of all people should know that, with all the whining you do about victimization of minorities.....

Because god knows, this kind of rap is indicative of racial profiling:

A player arrested for punching a police horse. ... A player arrested and indicted for kidnapping a roommate, taping him to a lawn chair, pounding him on the head with a weight-lifting bar, then burning him with cigarettes and a hot coat hanger."

Get real and quit trying to deflect.

Mr. Kotter
03-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Because god knows, this kind of rap is indicative of racial profiling:

A player arrested for punching a police horse. ... A player arrested and indicted for kidnapping a roommate, taping him to a lawn chair, pounding him on the head with a weight-lifting bar, then burning him with cigarettes and a hot coat hanger."

Get real and quit trying to deflect.

And you are saying those sorts of incidents are unique to Huggins? Get real, yourself.

Maybe Duke, UNC, and Syracuse are just better at avoiding the publicity because of more complicit media and university personnel..... :hmmm:

FTR, I realize Huggins has a past deserving of scrutiny; is he completely evil though? No. Nor is Duke, UNC, and Syracuse completely above reproach either.

ROYC75
03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Kansas State players excited they won’t have to attend class anymore.

Kansas State basketball players were overjoyed to hear the news last week that former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins had been named their new head coach.

“I don’t think I’ve ever received better news,” said junior forward Marshall Tucker. “People don’t realize how hard it is to attend all your classes and do well in them while at the same time performing at a high level on the court. But with Huggins here, that means I won’t have to go to class anymore and that someone will now take all my tests and write all my papers for me. All the extra time I’ll have is really going to make me a better player.”

Sophomore guard David Farrell said he met with his new coach in his office on Saturday.
“I asked him straight out: ‘With you here, this means I don’t have to waste time on academics anymore, right?’” said Farrell. “He looked at me with this huge smile on his face and said: ‘David, I haven’t the slightest idea what you’re talking about.’ Then he gave me this big wink. And then he gave me a phone number on a slip of paper for the girl who will be doing all my schoolwork from now on. It was great. The guy is totally a players’ coach. So watch out, Big 12, we’re coming. While you all are wasting time getting an education, we’re going to be improving on the basketball court.”