PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs Notebook 3/30

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2006, 09:31 AM
CHIEFS NOTEBOOK

Edwards wouldn’t mind holding camp in KC

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

ORLANDO, Fla. — Though he’s yet to lead the Chiefs through training camp for the first time, Herm Edwards knows his way around the campus at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. The Chiefs trained in Wisconsin while Edwards was an assistant coach and scout in the early 1990s.

The Chiefs are committed to holding Edwards’ first camp as head coach in River Falls. Beyond that, he might prefer the Chiefs stay closer to home.

“(Fifteen) years later, it’s probably getting a little old for everybody,” Edwards said. “It was a good situation when all of those other teams were up there. I think it’s changed a little bit because more teams are staying close to home.”

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson is aware of how Edwards feels. The Chiefs hold a series of one-year options to hold camp in River Falls through 2010.

“Quite frankly, how this election goes on April 4 has some impact on the decision we make with training camp,” Peterson said, referring to the vote to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and construct a rolling roof. “I’m certainly not opposed to bringing training camp back to Missouri.”

Harrington update

Quarterback Joey Harrington, soon to be exiled from Detroit, is making his first couple of visits to Miami and Cincinnati. Peterson indicated the Chiefs have yet to schedule a time for Harrington to interview in Kansas City.

“We’ll have that sorted out by the end of next week,” Peterson said. “I want to see what the quarterbacks in the draft look like.”

Peterson said he was disappointed in the asking price by Harrington’s agent, indicating Harrington wants 2006 compensation equal to the $8.5 million he is scheduled to make with the Lions.

“I don’t think that’s realistic,” Peterson said. “That’s about what we’re paying Trent Green.”

Preseason schedule

The Chiefs learned Wednesday they will begin their preseason schedule with a game against the Texans in Houston. A specific date hasn’t been set, but the game will be played between Aug. 10 and Aug. 14.

The Chiefs preseason continues with a nationally televised game against the Giants on Aug. 17 in New York. The 7 p.m. game will be shown on Fox.

Home preseason games against St. Louis and New Orleans will follow. Dates haven’t been set, but the Rams game will fall between Aug. 24 and Aug. 28 and the Saints game between Aug. 31 and Sept. 2.

Horn gone

The Chiefs lost another receiver when Chris Horn agreed to a two-year deal with New Orleans on Wednesday.

Law watch

The Chiefs haven’t dismissed the idea of signing veteran free-agent cornerback Ty Law, but Peterson indicated his acquisition would happen after the late April draft — if it happens at all.

“It begins and maybe it ends with Ty Law and whether he wants another big contract,” Peterson said. “We’re not going to do that.”
<HR class=tagline color=#cccccc SIZE=1>The Star’s Elizabeth Merrill contributed to this report.

ct
03-30-2006, 09:34 AM
I like the idea of holding Ty Law at bay, see what we can get in the draft. Honestly, this pretty much assures me we will draft a CB fairly high, then still approach Law with a low$ contract, since we would have some leverage.

Bowser
03-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Carl really relishes this self made tough S.O.B. thing, doesn't he?

And Chris Horn to the Saints? Interesting.

StcChief
03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Horn / Bo gone.

Now we have the midget's left to throw the ball.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2006, 09:48 AM
“Quite frankly, how this election goes on April 4 has some impact on the decision we make with training camp,” Peterson said, referring to the vote to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and construct a rolling roof. “I’m certainly not opposed to bringing training camp back to Missouri.”

- quite frankly, I don't follow what you're saying

KingPriest2
03-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Horn / Bo gone.

Now we have the midget's left to throw the ball.

He is 5-11 small really

ct
03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
$ invested in Arrowhead complex = KC area training camp

Gonzo
03-30-2006, 09:53 AM

--- That would be a shame. River Falls gets a lot of $$$$ in tourisim during training camp. They love having the Chiefs there. I went a couple years ago on my way to Canada and was treated very well.

HemiEd
03-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Why does the training camp location have anything to do with the election results? Is that something people want in Jackson Co. for them to train at Arrowhead?

jspchief
03-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Horn / Bo gone.

Now we have the midget's left to throw the ball.Yea, we're going to miss the 26 catches for 300 yards combined from those two. How will we ever replace that kind of production?

We'll also miss Chris Horn's 5' 11" height advantage.

sedated
03-30-2006, 09:57 AM
“Quite frankly, how this election goes on April 4 has some impact on the decision we make with training camp,” Peterson said, referring to the vote to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and construct a rolling roof.

:rolleyes:

how did I know he was gonna bring that up?

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2006, 09:58 AM
$ invested in Arrowhead complex = KC area training camp

I've never been to a TC, but I was under the impression they need several playing fields.

Logical
03-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Pulling out all the stops to bribe the voters are we:

Or maybe we should just tell it like it is - extort the voters.

Gonzo
03-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Yea, we're going to miss the 26 catches for 300 yards combined from those two. How will we ever replace that kind of production?

We'll also miss Chris Horn's 5' 11" height advantage.

ROFL

ROYC75
03-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Why does the training camp location have anything to do with the election results? Is that something people want in Jackson Co. for them to train at Arrowhead?

Money spent here, not there.

Most Players / coaches being home here, instead of gone.

Would you rather drive to Arrowhead with the roof over, ( shaded , not enclosed ) or drive to River Falls and spend more $$$.

58-4ever
03-30-2006, 10:07 AM

very true, I was all for the renovations until dick-face Carl spoke about it.

nmt1
03-30-2006, 10:08 AM

I think it means that if the tax increases are passed, they will build TC facilities in KC and use them instead of go to River Falls.

ROYC75
03-30-2006, 10:08 AM

Holding the fans, voters hosatge ? Not King Carl.
:rolleyes:

HemiEd
03-30-2006, 10:11 AM
I think it means that if the tax increases are passed, they will build TC facilities in KC and use them instead of go to River Falls.

Thanks, this is the first I had heard of this. I thought the main reason they went "UP North" was less temperate weather.

nmt1
03-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks, this is the first I had heard of this. I thought the main reason they went "UP North" was less temperate weather.

I thought they went up there because of the weather and the availability of other teams to practice with. I don't know for a fact that they will build new TC facilities...just my guess.

Brock
03-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Peterson said he was disappointed in the asking price by Harrington’s agent, indicating Harrington wants 2006 compensation equal to the $8.5 million he is scheduled to make with the Lions.

ROFL

shaneo69
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I thought they went up there because of the weather and the availability of other teams to practice with. I don't know for a fact that they will build new TC facilities...just my guess.

I think he meant he wouldn't mind holding TC at a college campus in Missouri.

They're not going to spend any of their own money to build a TC facility, and the tax being voted on will not be used for it either.

The other option is to hold TC at their current practice facility near Arrowhead, which is what the Rams have done the last two years.

Hydrae
03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Are you all comfortable that Carl wasn't hinting at the Chiefs leaving KC if the vote fails? If they move to LA they sure don't want to hold camp in Wisconsin!

Tribal Warfare
03-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Reading this article about King Carl gives a valid reason why some Chief fans are alcoholics