PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prospectus.com blurb on the Royals

FringeNC
03-30-2006, 12:52 PM
The Royals are just horrible. It’s one thing to claim Tony Graffanino on waivers when you already have almost an identical player in Mark Grudzielanek. It’s another thing entirely to designate your second- or third-best outfielder for assignment so you can do so. The Royals DFAd Chip Ambres to make room for Graffanino, one of the most ridiculous pieces of roster management in recent memory.

I apologize to Royals fans who would like to read analysis of their pitching staff, maybe see some nice words for Ambiorix Burgos and Andy Sisco. There’s no point; this organization would gladly swap out a 26-year-old outfielder with some upside who was clearly good enough to start for them in exchange for a 34-year-old backup second baseman. Why should I show more interest in their season than they do?

Twins 94 68 731 632
white Sox 90 72 769 688
Indians 84 78 717 697
Tigers 78 84 722 749
Royals 51 111 640 931

sedated
03-30-2006, 12:54 PM
did he pick us to lose 111 games?

that's low

Eleazar
03-30-2006, 12:54 PM
...and yet we have a ton of people complaining that AAAron Guiel was sent down.

bkkcoh
03-30-2006, 12:55 PM
The Royals are just horrible. It’s one thing to claim Tony Graffanino on waivers when you already have almost an identical player in Mark Grudzielanek. It’s another thing entirely to designate your second- or third-best outfielder for assignment so you can do so. The Royals DFAd Chip Ambres to make room for Graffanino, one of the most ridiculous pieces of roster management in recent memory.

I apologize to Royals fans who would like to read analysis of their pitching staff, maybe see some nice words for Ambiorix Burgos and Andy Sisco. There’s no point; this organization would gladly swap out a 26-year-old outfielder with some upside who was clearly good enough to start for them in exchange for a 34-year-old backup second baseman. Why should I show more interest in their season than they do?

Twins 94 68 731 632
white Sox 90 72 769 688
Indians 84 78 717 697
Tigers 78 84 722 749
Royals 51 111 640 931

OUCH, but would have to agree.......
:cuss: Carl, oh wait, it isn't Carl doin' it...

chiefqueen

that's low

Looks that way.

Demonpenz
this guy is just jealous

chiefqueen
03-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Maybe this is another early April Fools Day thread.

beavis
03-30-2006, 12:59 PM

that's low
There's no way this team is worse than last year.

rageeumr
I think here is when I throw out my annual "I think the Royals are going to surprise some people" line. I think it fits here.....

sedated
If this guy thinks Chip is our 2nd or 3rd best OF, he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

DeJesus, Sanders, Brown, and Guiel are all better than him. And Costa has put up similar numbers at a similar age.

And Chip might as well try to catch fly-balls with his hat, cause he cant' catch 'em with his glove.

sedated
03-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Twins 94 68 731 632
white Sox 90 72 769 688
Indians 84 78 717 697

that ranking ruins his credibility altogether.

the white sox won the series and managed to improve their pitching, and the indians have been improving for a couple years and were a pubic hair away from winning the wild card last year.

tk13
03-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Good grief. I've never seen so much outrage over freaking backup players in my life. This organization doesn't know what it's doing because it took a 30+ year old utility guy over an young OF, yet it also doesn't know what it's doing because it took a young OF over a 30+ year old outfielder. Just brilliant.

The funny thing is if we'd kept McEwing for Ambres no one would've said a thing. And I don't think Ambres was "clearly" good enough to start. Over who? I don't think he's better than Brown. He certainly wasn't last year.

Eleazar
03-30-2006, 01:03 PM
I wish all the people constantly berating the Royals would stay away from opening day. I wish it were easier to get tickets.

FringeNC
03-30-2006, 01:05 PM
that ranking ruins his credibility altogether.

the white sox won the series and managed to improve their pitching, and the indians were a pubic hair away from winning the wild card last year.

It was written by Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus. Those guys are smart. If you don't care for sabermetric-type analysis, I don't recommend the site.

FringeNC
03-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Good grief. I've never seen so much outrage over freaking backup players in my life. This organization doesn't know what it's doing because it took a 30+ year old utility guy over an young OF, yet it also doesn't know what it's doing because it took a young OF over a 30+ year old outfielder. Just brilliant.

The funny thing is if we'd kept McEwing for Ambres no one would've said a thing. And I don't think Ambres was "clearly" good enough to start. Over who? I don't think he's better than Brown. He certainly wasn't last year.

The problem is those movers are indicative of the fact that this organization does not know what it is doing. We are not going to win the division. Why not give a once-highly-touted prospect like Ambres a shot? What's the downside? Nothing.

tk13
03-30-2006, 01:13 PM
The problem is those movers are indicative of the fact that this organization does not know what it is doing. We are not going to win the division. Why not give a once-highly-touted prospect like Ambres a shot? What's the downside? Nothing.
We're going to give Costa that shot. That's what's not getting through here. Graffanino is taking Joe McEwing's spot on the roster. Costa is taking Chip Ambres spot. We are giving a young OF the spot. Now maybe that's the wrong evaluation, we'll see, but Costa is a young guy and an early round draft pick, we didn't abandon giving a young guy the spot in the OF. If Guiel got the job, then you'd have a case.

StcChief
03-30-2006, 01:50 PM
I guess your going 'under' on the 62 wins then.

Logical
03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I wish all the people constantly berating the Royals would stay away from opening day. I wish it were easier to get tickets.If that makes you happy, you will be glad to know I never go and probably never will.:D

Dave Lane
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
I wish all the people constantly berating the Royals would stay away from opening day. I wish it were easier to get tickets.

Go the next day plenty of seats available then

Dave

FringeNC
03-30-2006, 02:30 PM
I guess your going 'under' on the 62 wins then.

Think I saw it at 64.5. I never thought I'd bet against the Royals, but I have lost all hope in the organization. Seems like a hopeless mess as long as Baird and Dan Glass are running it.

At one point, I thought Baird had apparently "got it", but now it's clear he hasn't. Why the Royals are throwing money at mediocre veterans instead of saving it to tie up stars in the future is mind-boggling...

The Royals need to determine what a long-term sustainable AVERAGE payroll is, and then allow large fluctuations around that average to coincide with talent cycles (like the Florida Marlins and Twins and A's do). Why spend $50 million to lose 100 games? Why not spend $25 million, lose 110 games, and have that $25 million available to tie up up-and-comers (when they get here.)

Given the payroll disparities, it is necessary that small-market teams be very clever in money management. The Royals are clueless and destined to suck as long as Dan Glass and Baird are around.

Spicy McHaggis
03-30-2006, 02:54 PM
We're going to give Costa that shot. That's what's not getting through here. Graffanino is taking Joe McEwing's spot on the roster. Costa is taking Chip Ambres spot. We are giving a young OF the spot. Now maybe that's the wrong evaluation, we'll see, but Costa is a young guy and an early round draft pick, we didn't abandon giving a young guy the spot in the OF. If Guiel got the job, then you'd have a case.

Aaron Guiel is the kind of guy KC could root for. So was Joe Randa. It's hard not to let personal feelings get in the way here but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture and I'm glad we're giving Costa a chance.

tk13
03-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Think I saw it at 64.5. I never thought I'd bet against the Royals, but I have lost all hope in the organization. Seems like a hopeless mess as long as Baird and Dan Glass are running it.

At one point, I thought Baird had apparently "got it", but now it's clear he hasn't. Why the Royals are throwing money at mediocre veterans instead of saving it to tie up stars in the future is mind-boggling...

The Royals need to determine what a long-term sustainable AVERAGE payroll is, and then allow large fluctuations around that average to coincide with talent cycles (like the Florida Marlins and Twins and A's do). Why spend $50 million to lose 100 games? Why not spend $25 million, lose 110 games, and have that $25 million available to tie up up-and-comers (when they get here.)

Given the payroll disparities, it is necessary that small-market teams be very clever in money management. The Royals are clueless and destined to suck as long as Dan Glass and Baird are around.
How do you know they haven't? Glass wanted Baird to spend $50 million dollars for payroll this season... but we'd only spent $45 million up to this point. They supposedly have this all budgeted out. I don't think we're brilliant at spending money but I think this is making a mountain out of a mole hill. We didn't tie up any money long term, we added a guy for one year, using money that had already been budgeted for this year's payroll. It's probably not the most efficient use of money ever but it's not the egregious error you make it out to be.

keg in kc
03-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Aaron Guiel is the kind of guy KC could root for. The kind of guy KC could root for? Like we're supposed to get all excited about a player with limited physical tools and no upside.

Yeah, great. That's just what we need. Three cheers for mediocrity. By god, we could use a whole roster of Aaron Guiel's, that way when we lose 125 games, we'll at least do it with heart. Or something.

tk13
03-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Actually let me take that back. If we can turn Graffy back over at the trading deadline for another potential arm, then it's a great move. We weren't gonna get that for Joe McEwing.

Eleazar
03-30-2006, 03:14 PM
The kind of guy KC could root for? Like we're supposed to get all excited about a player with limited physical tools and no upside.

Yeah, great. That's just what we need. Three cheers for mediocrity. By god, we could use a whole roster of Aaron Guiel's, that way when we lose 125 games, we'll at least do it with heart. Or something.

Amen.

What kind of players can I root for? The ones that win games, not the ones who lose looking like they are trying.

AirForceChief
03-30-2006, 03:16 PM

Those tickets are in high demand as that is the only day you can go to the park when the Royals won't be sitting in the basement looking up at the AL Central leader!

CHENZ A!
03-30-2006, 03:17 PM

I called the Royals today and asked about tickets, the lady said that they have a few "single" seats left. So if you don't mind sitting by yourself, or standing(whitch is what me and my boys are doing), then you can still get them. I'm sure alot of people will be selling at the stadium also.

Eleazar
03-30-2006, 03:19 PM
I called the Royals today and asked about tickets, the lady said that they have a few "single" seats left. So if you don't mind sitting by yourself, or standing(whitch is what me and my boys are doing), then you can still get them. I'm sure alot of people will be selling at the stadium also.

I already got a seat :D

tk13
03-30-2006, 03:31 PM
On the bright side... we won today! Texas took an early lead but Teahen and Emil Brown hit homers, and Billy Butler even added an RBI. The Royals are the 2006 Cactus League champions! WOOOO! Haha... hopefully a good sign, last time we won the league was 2003.

shakesthecat
03-30-2006, 03:37 PM
On the bright side... we won today! The Royals are the 2006 Cactus League champions! WOOOO! Haha... hopefully a good sign, last time we won the league was 2003.

Yeah, but Costa only had 3 hits including 2 doubles.

I knew they'd rue the day they sent down Guiel and Ambres.

keg in kc
03-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Teahen had a home run.

One of the signs of the apocalypse?

Bowser
03-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Teahen had a home run.

Was the fence at 210?

sedated
03-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Why the Royals are throwing money at mediocre veterans instead of saving it to tie up stars in the future is mind-boggling....

that's exactly what they are doing. they don't have any old players signed beyond 2007, so they still have the money to sign our young up-and-comers to long-term deals.

like fluctuating from 36 million to 50 million isn't large?

they spent 36 million and lost 108 last year, and they spent 50 million to avoid losing 100 games this year. they managed to do it without sacraficing the future

I don't know why everyone is judging this team before it plays one game.

tk13
03-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Teahen had a home run.

Costa also had a steal. German had a steal too... he had 10 steals this spring... we've done a lot of running so far. I wonder if that's gonna carry over to the season. We had 36 steals in 47 attempts.

keg in kc
03-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't know why everyone is judging this team before it plays one game.This is your first spring training here, isn't it.

sedated
03-30-2006, 03:55 PM
This is your first spring training here, isn't it.

I'd love to see all the crow that must have been eaten in 2003

Pitt Gorilla
03-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Teahen had a home run.

One of the signs of the apocalypse?I'm pretty sure that one is in the Bible.

Brianfo
03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
The kind of guy KC could root for? Like we're supposed to get all excited about a player with limited physical tools and no upside.

Great Post!

Don't understand the love affair with Aaron freakin Guiel.