PDA

View Full Version : Which THREE exploration voyages would you most like to have been a crew member of?

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Assume that you wouldn't have been the leader and that you wouldn't receive fame and fortune from your participation. You just get to go along for the ride.

Assume too that you would have survived the expedition.

While I think this site is primarily for children, it's actually a very nice summary of a lot of these guys.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/

Donger
03-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Assume that you wouldn't have been the leader and that you wouldn't receive fame and fortune from your participation. You just get to go along for the ride.

Assume too that you would have survived the expedition.

While I think this site is primarily for children, it's actually a very nice summary of a lot of these guys.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/

Apollo 11, assuming that I could have landed Eagle. Screw that command module crap.

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah, can you imagine doing the paper/rock/scissors thing and drawing the command module assignment? That would be like having to stay and guard the car on a trip to Disney World.

I really wanted to pick Apollo 11, but in the end I couldn't decide between Ibn Battuta and Marco Polo, and so I picked them both. My third was Captain Cook's explorations of the South Pacific.

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 03:04 PM
The Lewis and Clark popularity surprises me a little. It would probably make my top ten, but maybe not.

HemiEd
03-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Neil Armstrong and the moon. However, I do hate the taste of "Tang."

SLAG
03-30-2006, 03:16 PM
What ever Exploration included Excess marijuana and opium

Duck Dog
03-30-2006, 03:18 PM
I chose L&C because that would have been better than being stuck at sea with a bunch of smelly pirates or sailors. I chose Neil Armstrong for some of the same reasons. I picked Pizarros take over of the Incas because I really never trusted those Incas.

Chief Chief
03-30-2006, 03:33 PM
I voted for Daniel Boone just to see if those lyrics in the song are true. I mean, none of us truly know if he was, in fact, a "big man"..let alone a "man"!

I also voted for Lewis and Clark 'cuz the one's just laugh-out-loud funny (especially in them flicks with Dean Martin), and the other can change into Superman in an instant!

And finally I voted for Powell's exploration of our great Southwest -- who knew Colin was so versatile?

Livingstone didn't get my vote cuz, while he may have made great in-roads on the African continent, ya just gotta admit that Mike was a below-average QB for the Chiefs.

I nearly voted for Hillary but I "...didn't want to go along for (a) ride..." on anybody that Bill's allegedly already ridden.

So who made up this 'Marco Polo' entry? Everybody knows that's the name of some lame game played at the swimming pool that everyone cheats at!

And don't even get me started on Richard Burton and his battle with the bottle!

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Just FYI, another cool one would be Ojeda's voyage to South America. Not only did they discover the mouth of the Amazon River, but Ojeda's navigator, a fellow named Amerigo Vespucci, made the first claim that perhaps they were not exploring Asia, but had stumbled upon an entire New World.

chiefs4me
03-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Apollo 11, assuming that I could have landed Eagle. Screw that command module crap.

yea, I think this is the one I want also.....ROFL

Donger
03-30-2006, 04:28 PM
yea, I think this is the one I want also.....ROFL

I'd turn off your oxygen and leave you on the surface.

chiefs4me
03-30-2006, 04:32 PM
I'd turn off your oxygen and leave you on the surface.

If you could, who says you are in charge...:rolleyes: wait, surface of what??

Donger
03-30-2006, 04:34 PM
If you could, who says you are in charge...:rolleyes:

Genetics does.

wait, surface of what??

The moon, you pinhead.

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 04:36 PM
You kids know you're in love.

Donger
03-30-2006, 04:42 PM

There's no way that it loves itself. It's too angry for that.

chiefs4me
03-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Genetics does.

The moon, you pinhead.

So, I get to go aleast half way...:hmmm: I'm good for that, you are sure to fall asleep for a min or two........:D%(/

chiefs4me
03-30-2006, 04:58 PM

Whatcha smokin rain man......ROFL

AustinChief
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Speaking of voyages... where are we in our offseason voyage around the world?

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Speaking of voyages... where are we in our offseason voyage around the world?

We're riding the Orient Express en route from Paris to Istanbul. I just updated it yesterday, so it should be somewhere on the first couple of pages.

1adam1238
03-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I read once about captain hook and his crew when they landed on Tahiti......No one wanted to leave because the native gals were so friendly.

kcfanintitanhell
03-30-2006, 06:37 PM
As challenging as they all were, I picked three that didn't directly involve drammamine or cold weather.

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I read once about captain hook and his crew when they landed on Tahiti......No one wanted to leave because the native gals were so friendly.

Those weren't women - they were little boys who never wanted to grow up!