PDA

View Full Version : Your Ultimate Sports/Music Bar?

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 06:01 PM
A couple of clients and myself have been kicking around the idea of opening a bar.The main emphasis would be on sports,however,we're also thinking of tying in a retro music theme as well for the times when there aren't any big games etc.

I'm looking for ideas from sports and music fans as to what you think the ideal bar would be or things you have experienced at other bars that you'd give a thumbs up too.

Here's a few ideas I've thought of or seen at other places that I'd want.Please tell me what you think and/or add your own.

1.NO COMMERCIAL SOUND during big games-to me there's nothing worse than watching a game and having to sit through blarring commercials,we'd like to have upbeat music at every commercial break until the featured game comes back on.

2.MONDAY NIGHT FREE FOOTBALL PARTY-this one I saw in Minnesota,in front of your biggest screen there is a platform which has sofas,recliners and tables.On Sundays you have a promotion where your guests can enter a free must be present to win drawing where one winner and 9 friends gets the platform for MNF with their own personal waitress and free food and beer.

3.BUY 1 GET 1-on each Chiefs td,you can buy 1 draw get 1 free,the catch is there is no putting it on ice,you take both draws at once or pass.

4.The menu item names would all be tied into music and sports

We've got alot more ideas but I'll stop for now so I can get some other opinions and or ideas.

Dunit35
03-30-2006, 06:07 PM
A couple of clients and myself have been kicking around the idea of opening a bar.The main emphasis would be on sports,however,we're also thinking of tying in a retro music theme as well for the times when there aren't any big games etc.

I'm looking for ideas from sports and music fans as to what you think the ideal bar would be or things you have experienced at other bars that you'd give a thumbs up too.

Here's a few ideas I've thought of or seen at other places that I'd want.Please tell me what you think and/or add your own.

1.NO COMMERCIAL SOUND during big games-to me there's nothing worse than watching a game and having to sit through blarring commercials,we'd like to have upbeat music at every commercial break until the featured game comes back on.

2.MONDAY NIGHT FREE FOOTBALL PARTY-this one I saw in Minnesota,in front of your biggest screen there is a platform which has sofas,recliners and tables.On Sundays you have a promotion where your guests can enter a free must be present to win drawing where one winner and 9 friends gets the platform for MNF with their own personal waitress and free food and beer.

3.BUY 1 GET 1-on each Chiefs td,you can buy 1 draw get 1 free,the catch is there is no putting it on ice,you take both draws at once or pass.

4.The menu item names would all be tied into music and sports

We've got alot more ideas but I'll stop for now so I can get some other opinions and or ideas.

That's a kickass idea right there.

I like the buy 1 get 1 idea as well.

CanadianChief
03-30-2006, 06:17 PM
...things you have experienced at other bars that you'd give a thumbs up too.

"The Outhouse" theme would be a plus

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 06:19 PM
"The Outhouse" theme would be a plus

heh,we discussed having a seperate entrance for such a place.

Dunit35
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I really enjoyed a bar here in town that was half inside,half outside.

The smokers had to smoke in the outside part.

jspchief
03-30-2006, 06:28 PM
If you ever make it to Des Moines, I'll show you the ultimate sports bar.

One of the great features is a basketball hoop where people can shoot baskets all night.

whoaskew
03-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I went to the ESPN Zone when I was in DC in October and was very impressed.

I kept thinking that it would be great to have a bar like that in KC.

Then again, I am not sure if it was the bar that impressed me, or the fact that I was in downtown DC watching the Chiefs stomp the Redskins at Arrowhead. I can't describe the feeling of being the only Chiefs fan in the building being pleasantly surprised by all of the cheering I heard from the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants fans every time the Chiefs scored.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Peppermint Honcho.

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Is there federal legislation that mandates that all sports bars have bad menus? The sports bar concept is great, but they always have bad, bad menus and subpar food.

I'm going to give you the key to success here. The one thing that will set your bar apart and make you the place to be. You will use this suggestion to create a franchise that will put every other sports bar in America out of business.

Ready?

Here it is.

Offer small appetizer plates.

When I go to a sports bar, I will buy a meal, but the appetizers are all large. Therefore, I might buy one appetizer, but usually I just buy the meal and then sit there for another two hours getting free soda refills.

Imagine a sports bar that offered appetizers in the $2 to $3 range. A couple of ribs, some chips and queso, a small order of fries, etc. A guy like me would graze all afternoon, PLUS I would spend more, PLUS I would enjoy it more because instead of spending $7 on a big plate of nachos, I instead spend $2.50 each on four little appetizers that were timed over the course of the game, and gave me a flavor extravaganza.

OH! OH! Brainstorm!

The menu could have combo plates where you order up front and check off, for example, buffalo wings in the 1st quarter, nachos in the 2nd quarter, my main meal in the third quarter, and potato skins in the fourth quarter. I then don't have to worry about ordering, and the server can just bring stuff out on a schedule. It would be awesome.

Over-Head
03-30-2006, 07:49 PM
I spent 14 years on the highway as a long haul trucker, loved stopping at "Hooter’s" to catch a game.One of my fondest memories was sitting in the one in KC on a Monday night when the Ra!ders played the ChiefsI don’t know what got me more stares.The fact I was rooting (quite loudly) for the Ra!ders, or the fact I was wearing a "Stabler" jersey?:hmmm:All I remember that night was drinking LOTS of beer, eating ton’s of fre wings, and being on a Raido spot with some DJ.ROFL

Raiderhater
03-30-2006, 08:01 PM
OH! OH! Brainstorm!

The menu could have combo plates where you order up front and check off, for example, buffalo wings in the 1st quarter, nachos in the 2nd quarter, my main meal in the third quarter, and potato skins in the fourth quarter. I then don't have to worry about ordering, and the server can just bring stuff out on a schedule. It would be awesome.

That is an awesome idea, if the game is going the way you want it to. However, if we are down 21 at the start of the fourth, those potato skins that were ordered before the game started aren't going to sound all that good.

Bob Dole
03-30-2006, 08:06 PM
I went to the ESPN Zone when I was in DC in October and was very impressed.

I kept thinking that it would be great to have a bar like that in KC.

Then again, I am not sure if it was the bar that impressed me, or the fact that I was in downtown DC watching the Chiefs stomp the Redskins at Arrowhead. I can't describe the feeling of being the only Chiefs fan in the building being pleasantly surprised by all of the cheering I heard from the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants fans every time the Chiefs scored.

Bob Dole enjoyed that Zone more than any of the others he's been in.

Saulbadguy
03-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Unlimited free beer.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 08:07 PM
I agree with Over Head... there's nothing wrong with Hooters... take that idea, tweak it with the music concept and make it your own.

ChiefsCountry
03-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Sweet topic. I have always wanted to open a sports bar myself as one of my goals in life.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 08:10 PM
I have a buddy that works for the company that builds these bars... http://www.librarybars.com/

He says they're rocking and rolling with this concept. The location in Lubbock (I believe) is a cash cow. Now, this is a different concept... but I think there are similar themes that can be tweaked.

Bob Dole
03-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Bob Dole regularly attended a (gasp) Cowboys fan bar in Vegas where they had the recliner on the platform near the TV thing. It always went over big.

Bob Dole always thought it would be cool to offer some sort of game interactive, score-related discount.

For instance, you could purchase a team ticket for X dollars, and from halftime on, you'd get a % discount equal to the halftime score of the team you picked.

Skip Towne
03-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Is there federal legislation that mandates that all sports bars have bad menus? The sports bar concept is great, but they always have bad, bad menus and subpar food.

I'm going to give you the key to success here. The one thing that will set your bar apart and make you the place to be. You will use this suggestion to create a franchise that will put every other sports bar in America out of business.

Ready?

Here it is.

Offer small appetizer plates.

When I go to a sports bar, I will buy a meal, but the appetizers are all large. Therefore, I might buy one appetizer, but usually I just buy the meal and then sit there for another two hours getting free soda refills.

Imagine a sports bar that offered appetizers in the $2 to $3 range. A couple of ribs, some chips and queso, a small order of fries, etc. A guy like me would graze all afternoon, PLUS I would spend more, PLUS I would enjoy it more because instead of spending $7 on a big plate of nachos, I instead spend $2.50 each on four little appetizers that were timed over the course of the game, and gave me a flavor extravaganza.

OH! OH! Brainstorm!

That's why you get kicked out of sports bars, loiterer. (seriously, that is a great idea.)

ChiefsCountry
03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
If I opened a sports bar, I would have it be more of a entertainment complex type deal. Big sports bar, a good restruant, and a dance club/live music spot. Probally more suited for a college town or a party vacation spot.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 08:28 PM
If I opened a sports bar, I would have it be more of a entertainment complex type deal. Big sports bar, a good restruant, and a dance club/live music spot. Probally more suited for a college town or a party vacation spot.

That link I provided for the Library Bars is a very similar concept.

It all depends on your location...

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 08:32 PM
This may not be your taste, but ... depending on the audience your targeting... a sports bar like your describing with a mid/late 80's music theme (more of the rock/hair metal genre... not the Tiffany/Backstreet stuff) would go over well.

Think about a lot of the music you hear at games... you hear a lot of the 80's hair metal stuff. That music still goes over really well in bars. You could even have a night or two a week with cover type bands after 9pm.

Include 2-3 pool tables... shuffle board ... darts, maybe even air hockey with the Golden Tee games... have the usual bar / sit down and eat sections and you might just have a winner.

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 08:42 PM

One of my clients that I'm discussing this with is already in the restaurant business and a "good" menu is at the top of the list.In fact 2 of the specialty items would include my own homemade chili recipe and a little item my mrs makes called a cabbage burger.

OH! OH! Brainstorm!

This is definitely what I'm looking for,great idea.

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 08:48 PM
This may not be your taste, but ... depending on the audience your targeting... a sports bar like your describing with a mid/late 80's music theme (more of the rock/hair metal genre... not the Tiffany/Backstreet stuff) would go over well.

We've got two ideas here,the first is to have theme nights including everything from The Beatles to 70's funk to 80's new wave and so on.The other (which is much more expensive) is to have 3-4 seperate clubs if you will under the same roof.Pay 1 cover but once you're in you're in and you can go from spot to spot depending on which mood you're in.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 08:51 PM
We've got two ideas here,the first is to have theme nights including everything from The Beatles to 70's funk to 80's new wave and so on.The other (which is much more expensive) is to have 3-4 seperate clubs if you will under the same roof.Pay 1 cover but once you're in you're in and you can go from spot to spot depending on which mood you're in.
Those aren't bad, but ... I think those are more suited for heavy weekend traffic from Thurs-Sat nights. You're just not going to get the traffic from Sun-Wed to support that type of a layout in my opinion.

If you go the 3-4 room route, then you're really looking at more of a true dance club type of place... something that the younger crowd would target. Not really a place I'd go to watch sports on a weekend or Monday Night, just my $.02

That kinda sounds like Polly Esthers in San Antonio... http://gotexas.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=gotexas&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pollyestherssa.com%2Findex.html

Skip Towne
03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
One thing you will need is hot chicks as waitresses. Sex sells, don't short yourself here. Any college can supply the talent (even K-State) Scenery is very important so make sure they make good tips even if you have to add it to the bill automatically. Don't let guys like Rainman in........they loiter and use up all your atmosphere.

Raiderhater
03-30-2006, 08:55 PM

There is a bar on the river walk in San Antonio (the name escapes me) that has a different decade theme for each floor. I want to say it it starts off with the 60's on the first floor and works its way up to today's music on the top floor. Kind of neat, but not really a sprorts bar set up.

Raiderhater
03-30-2006, 08:56 PM
That kinda sounds like Polly Esthers in San Antonio... http://gotexas.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=gotexas&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pollyestherssa.com%2Findex.html

Yeah, that's the place I was talking about.

big nasty kcnut
03-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Here is the idea the bar would have screen for each table and you pick from a menu on the screen what game you would want to watch.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 08:59 PM
One thing you will need is hot chicks as waitresses. Sex sells, don't short yourself here. Any college can supply the talent (even K-State) Scenery is very important so make sure they make good tips even if you have to add it to the bill automatically. Don't let guys like Rainman in........they loiter.
There's a place in Dallas that I like a lot better than Hooters... Bone Daddy's House of Smoke. The food is great ... good bar and the waitresses are smoking hot!!!

http://www.bonedaddys.com/default.asp

The pics on the site do not do it justice...

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 09:03 PM
One thing you will need is hot chicks as waitresses. Sex sells, don't short yourself here. Any college can supply the talent (even K-State) Scenery is very important so make sure they make good tips even if you have to add it to the bill automatically. Don't let guys like Rainman in........they loiter and use up all your atmosphere.

I was thinking uniforms like this

jspchief
03-30-2006, 09:04 PM
There's a place in Dallas that I like a lot better than Hooters... Bone Daddy's House of Smoke. The food is great ... good bar and the waitresses are smoking hot!!!

http://www.bonedaddys.com/default.asp

The pics on the site do not do it justice...I love that place. The BBQ kicks ass and their waitresses are smokin' hot. Definately one of my regular visits when I'm in Dallas.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Nzoner... with a wait staff like that, you could sell Schlitz and serve 3 day old velveeta cheese dip and stale nachos... and it would rock.

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 09:07 PM
There is a bar on the river walk in San Antonio (the name escapes me) that has a different decade theme for each floor. I want to say it it starts off with the 60's on the first floor and works its way up to today's music on the top floor. Kind of neat, but not really a sprorts bar set up.

Yeah,we've discussed that maybe we should look at hitting the football season only with the bulk of sports programming and promotions.

Another idea we saw was to have a boxing ring that has dining tables in it by day and doubles as a dance floor by night.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Another idea we saw was to have a boxing ring that has dining tables in it by day and doubles as a dance floor by night.

Or, it could serve as a ring for female mud wrestling... and for kicks every few months you could have midget wrestling.

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Nzoner... with a wait staff like that, you could sell Schlitz and serve 3 day old velveeta cheese dip and stale nachos... and it would rock.

They'd also have ref whistles,we thought we could do some crazy promotions and when a customer won the girls could really blow. :D

Skip Towne
03-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Yeah,we've discussed that maybe we should look at hitting the football season only with the bulk of sports programming and promotions.

I'd check with my insurance agent on the boxing ring. Liability would be a concern. Some drunk guy gets his ass whipped and sues.

jspchief
03-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I was thinking uniforms like thisOne thing to keep in mind about planning on skimpy uniforms and hot waitresses... You live in St. Joe. Not exactly the hotty capitol of the world. When the place is new and exciting, you might be able to draw the hottest girls, but once the novelty wears off, you'll be hiring from the same pool of waitresses as Applebees and Cracker Barrel. Next thing you know, you've got skanks and hogs trying to cram into those tight unis, and it's not a pretty picture.

Dartgod
03-30-2006, 09:23 PM
I'd check with my insurance agent on the boxing ring. Liability would be a concern. Some drunk guy gets his ass whipped and sues.
I don't think he was planning on having actual boxing matches. Just a boxing ring.

Dartgod
03-30-2006, 09:24 PM
I was thinking uniforms like this
Yowza! :eek:

When do you open? :drool:

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 09:48 PM
One thing to keep in mind about planning on skimpy uniforms and hot waitresses... You live in St. Joe. Not exactly the hotty capitol of the world. When the place is new and exciting, you might be able to draw the hottest girls, but once the novelty wears off, you'll be hiring from the same pool of waitresses as Applebees and Cracker Barrel. Next thing you know, you've got skanks and hogs trying to cram into those tight unis, and it's not a pretty picture.

If this dream becomes a reality we'd be looking at a location closer to KC.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 09:49 PM
If this dream becomes a reality we'd be looking at a location closer to KC.

Heh... doesn't the same thing apply?

Nzoner
03-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Yowza! :eek:

When do you open? :drool:

I really like these as well,we'd just have to get them some sneakers

jspchief
03-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Heh... doesn't the same thing apply?Yep. Not many midwest cities can support the need for a hot wait staff unless it's a college town.

Just go look at your Hooters. They start out with these hot ass girls, then when everyone figures out it's just another shitty waitressing job, the quality goes way down.

Hot waitresses are nice. but instead of scantily clad, train them to be kick ass servers. Nobody will give a shit if they're hot if they don't keep up with the customer. And bad waitresses won't get good tips, so they'll move on to other jobs.

All the great bars I've ever been have had one common ingredient. Really good bartenders and wait staff.

Oh, and if you have to hire bouncers, don't hire assholes. Those guys walking around with a chip on their shoulder just promote the bad vibe. Get guys that are friendly.

Skip Towne
03-30-2006, 10:03 PM
One thing to keep in mind about planning on skimpy uniforms and hot waitresses... You live in St. Joe. Not exactly the hotty capitol of the world. When the place is new and exciting, you might be able to draw the hottest girls, but once the novelty wears off, you'll be hiring from the same pool of waitresses as Applebees and Cracker Barrel. Next thing you know, you've got skanks and hogs trying to cram into those tight unis, and it's not a pretty picture.
Check my post on the subject. You have to get the hotties from a local college and make sure they make twice what Applebees pays. The "Hooters" concept.

Nzoner
03-31-2006, 01:23 AM
Check my post on the subject. You have to get the hotties from a local college and make sure they make twice what Applebees pays. The "Hooters" concept.

Agreed,we'd want to create a work environment where hotties would be waiting in line to work there and yes that would start with making sure they got paid damn well.

Demonpenz
03-31-2006, 01:30 AM
my money would follow zollner

teedubya
03-31-2006, 02:19 AM
Stripper Thursdays.

and Knocker shots. Pour the shot on a titty and catch the drained liquor off her tits into the glass...

teedubya
03-31-2006, 02:21 AM
Oh, and if you have to hire bouncers, don't hire assholes. Those guys walking around with a chip on their shoulder just promote the bad vibe. Get guys that are friendly.

Yeah, dont hire bouncers like grumpy jspchief.

Skip Towne
03-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah, dont hire bouncers like grumpy jspchief.
:LOL: Yep, he outgrumps me sometimes.

Rain Man
03-31-2006, 08:37 AM

But I'm eye candy for the women.

shakesthecat
03-31-2006, 09:15 AM
If you ever make it to Des Moines, I'll show you the ultimate sports bar.

One of the great features is a basketball hoop where people can shoot baskets all night.

3rd Base?

Going there after work today.

jspchief
03-31-2006, 09:19 AM
3rd Base?

Going there after work today.Yep. I'm friends with Colin, the owner/manager.

You hang out there often?

shakesthecat
03-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Yep. I'm friends with Colin, the owner/manager.

You hang out there often?

I'd say I get there about once a month or so.

Nice bar with good service most of the time. The waitresses are above average, and a couple are down right scalding.

jspchief
03-31-2006, 09:31 AM
I'd say I get there about once a month or so.

Nice bar with good service most of the time. The waitresses are above average, and a couple are down right scalding.Yea, it's a pretty cool place. They get pretty packed on Friday nights.

I mostly go there during the day or early evening to play Golden Tee.