PDA

View Full Version : AP names Williams coach of the year

KingPriest2
03-31-2006, 11:56 AM
AP names Williams coach of the year
Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS - Roy Williams, who followed a national championship season at North Carolina by leading an inexperienced team to a Top 10 finish, was selected coach of the year by The Associated Press on Friday.

Williams, who won the award in 1992 at Kansas, is the second coach to win it at two schools, joining Eddie Sutton, who won at Arkansas in 1978 and Kentucky in 1989. He is the seventh coach to win it more than once, with UCLA's John Wooden the record holder at five times from 1967 to 1973.

The Tar Heels won the national title last season, Williams' second at his alma mater. The top seven scorers from that team either graduated or left early for the NBA and North Carolina wasn't even ranked in the preseason poll.

Led by freshman Tyler Hansbrough, the Tar Heels went 23-8 and were ranked 10th in the final poll, finishing second in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Williams received 29 votes from the 72-member national media panel that selects the weekly Top 25. Jay Wright of Villanova had 15 votes to finish second in the balloting that was conducted before the NCAA tournament. Bruce Pearl of Tennessee was third with 11 votes.

Williams is the second North Carolina coach to win the award, which was first given in 1967. Matt Doherty, whom Williams succeeded at Chapel Hill, won in 2001.

Bruce Weber of Illinois won the award last season.

Bowser
03-31-2006, 11:56 AM
ROFL

Coach
03-31-2006, 11:57 AM
Congrats to Roy for that.

However, I would have to slightly disagree on that though.

cdcox
03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Roy, Roy, Roy!

greg63
03-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Eh, he paid 'em off. :p

jspchief
03-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Congrats to Roy for that.

However, I would have to slightly disagree on that though.Who do you think should have won?

|Zach|
03-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Hahahahahaha

Baby Lee
03-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Eff that Coont.

Eleazar
03-31-2006, 12:08 PM
I thought Self would win it for sure.

Coach
03-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Who do you think should have won?

Good question. I honestly don't know who exactly should have won, but the nominatees (sp) should be more wider, based on what I saw on ESPN.

Mark Turgeon for Wichita State.
Mark Flannery for Bucknell Bisons.
Jim Larranaga for George Mason.

Those are a few that I would have nominated, and would have a good discussion. I would more than likely go for Larranaga.

I guess it's probably their NCAA Tournament a success, but they did had to dispose Michigan State, North Carolina, Wichita State, and UConn.

The Bad Guy
03-31-2006, 12:14 PM
Good question. I honestly don't know who exactly should have won, but the nominatees (sp) should be more wider, based on what I saw on ESPN.

Mark Turgeon for Wichita State.
Mark Flannery for Bucknell Bisons.
Jim Larranaga for George Mason.

Those are a few that I would have nominated, and would have a good discussion. I would more than likely go for Larranaga.

I guess it's probably their NCAA Tournament a success, but they did had to dispose Michigan State, North Carolina, Wichita State, and UConn.

The coach of the year isn't based on the NCAA tournament.

SPchief
03-31-2006, 12:18 PM
They voted before the NCAA tournement

sedated
03-31-2006, 12:30 PM
The coach of the year isn't based on the NCAA tournament.

Then it should have been Bruce Pearl.

talk about turning nothing into a top 10 team.

Roy is a f*cking sellout.

He should die of gonorea and rot in hell

RCJH Forever

ct
03-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Just so ya know, they vote for Coach of the year before the tourney.

I think Roy deserved it.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Then it should have been Bruce Pearl.

talk about turning nothing into a top 10 team.

Roy is a f*cking sellout.

He should die of gonorea and rot in hell

RCJH Forever

HemiEd
03-31-2006, 12:56 PM

Since they do vote before the tournament, I think he did deserve strong consideration. They came a long way with the baby jayhawks, similar to what Roy accomplished with the baby heels.

JBucc
03-31-2006, 12:58 PM
good choice

Sure-Oz
03-31-2006, 01:31 PM
I thought Bob Huggins was going to get it for sure!

Lzen
03-31-2006, 01:47 PM

I know you're being facetious. However, I thought he had a good shot at it at one point. But after that pitiful NCAA Tourney performance, I changed my mind.
:banghead:

Lzen
03-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Ok, so I didn't read the whole thread before I posted. Eh, Roy was as deserving as anybody, I suppose. Self defenitely deserved consideration, though.

Pitt Gorilla
03-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Roy>Bill

CoMoChief
03-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Congrats Roy. I speak for all Jayhawk fans when I say the KU bball program misses you.

sedated
03-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Arrogant KU Fan: "Does anybody really believe the MVC can hold their own against tourney teams?"

just because somebody doubted the ability of the MVC (and that person happened to be a KU fan), that makes them arrogant?

last time I checked, there were 4 MVC teams in the tourney, and that statement applies to all of them, not just Bradley.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Congrats Roy. I speak for all Jayhawk fans when I say the KU bball program misses you.
you don't speak for me...

That POS picked UNC over KU so he can go straight to hell and take that traitorous bastard Dean Smith
with him. :mad:

Lzen
03-31-2006, 02:05 PM
just because somebody doubted the ability of the MVC (and that person happened to be a KU fan), that makes them arrogant?

last time I checked, there were 4 MVC teams in the tourney, and that statement applies to all of them, not just Bradley.

Stop that, you're ruining their ignorant ammo against KU fans. :shake:

|Zach|
03-31-2006, 02:06 PM
you don't speak for me...

That POS picked UNC over KU so he can go straight to hell and take that traitorous bastard Dean Smith
with him. :mad:
ROFL ROFL

Mr. Laz
03-31-2006, 02:07 PM
ROFL ROFL

don't worry there will plenty of room left in hell for all the mizzou fans too.

Pitt Gorilla
03-31-2006, 02:07 PM

last time I checked, there were 4 MVC teams in the tourney, and that statement applies to all of them, not just Bradley.You should study deductive reasoning a bit before making such statements. So, to answer your question, of course not.
:shake:

sedated
03-31-2006, 02:16 PM
You should study deductive reasoning a bit before making such statements. So, to answer your question, of course not.

although, I must admit, I don't know who made the statement.

so, chances are, you are correct

Baby Lee
03-31-2006, 02:22 PM
You should study deductive reasoning a bit before making such statements. So, to answer your question, of course not.
http://www.allyourtv.com/images/b/bones/episodes/2005/september/09-20-2005/3_shot_med.jpg
I thought we'd agreed on inductive?

sedated
03-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Stop that, you're ruining their ignorant ammo against KU fans. :shake:

not to beat a dead horse here, but it seems that if someone made a statement doubting the MVC, it would be just an opinion and nothing more.

but, since they like KU, they are seen as arrogant.

it just gets annoying after a while.

(as does my b!tching, so I will stop now)

Saulbadguy
03-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Everytime I see sedated I think of that Ramones song.

sedated
03-31-2006, 03:11 PM

that's why I picked the name

I had that song in my head when I signed up, couldn't think of anything else.

now I have exposed my secret.

chiefsfaninNC
03-31-2006, 03:12 PM
The hex I put on that SOB works about as well as the hex I put on the Donkeys every year. Maybe I should try cheering for Carolina next year. That should guarantee failure.

sedated
03-31-2006, 03:26 PM

Everyone wants to be sedated ROFL

DJay23
03-31-2006, 03:56 PM
but, since they like KU, they are seen as arrogant.

it just gets annoying after a while.

Do as I've done and OWN your arrogance. It will set you free.

I think Pearl should have won coach of the year. Look at what he did in a conference with 2 Final 4 teams, of course voters didn't know that at the time.

The way I see it, Roy and Self did approximately the same job this year, it's just that Roy is more high profile with a more high profile superstar on his team.

Pitt Gorilla
03-31-2006, 04:00 PM
The way I see it, Roy and Self did approximately the same job this year, it's just that Roy is more high profile with a more high profile superstar on his team.And MU fans wish that superstar was on their team. I think his parents were MU grads. Ugh.

HemiEd
03-31-2006, 04:05 PM
And MU fans wish that superstar was on their team. I think his parents were MU grads. Ugh.

He is from Missouri? Ouch!

DJay23
03-31-2006, 04:05 PM
And MU fans wish that superstar was on their team. I think his parents were MU grads. Ugh.
Yeah, he's from Missouri, forget which city. I know KU and MU were 2 schools that were on his radar. I think it actually came down to KU and Carolina. I think Roy had him going to KU before he left, then Hansborough went with Roy to Carolina.

I think. I can't say I wouldn't love to have him on my team.

Pitt Gorilla
03-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah, he's from Missouri, forget which city. I know KU and MU were 2 schools that were on his radar. I think it actually came down to KU and Carolina. I think Roy had him going to KU before he left, then Hansborough went with Roy to Carolina.

I think. I can't say I wouldn't love to have him on my team.Honestly, Roy has been a big part of his development. He wasn't that skilled when he came out of HS. He really made the right choice.

CoMoChief
03-31-2006, 04:16 PM

I think. I can't say I wouldn't love to have him on my team.

He's from Popular Bluff HS. He played my Alma Mater Blue Springs HS in the state championship bball game in Columbia. Popular Bluff won by 8pts, but Hansbrough didnt impress me at all that game. Our 6-8 190lb center pretty much shut him down that game. Hansbrough being the McDonalds HS All American he was, youd think he would have more points than 14pts in the state title game. I was surprised that he was so highly recruited, but now I know why. The guy's a player. I guess he just had a shitty game against us.

His two top choices were UNC and KU, he chose UNC obviously. I would also rather play for Roy than Self. That doesnt surprise me at all.

sedated
03-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Honestly, Roy has been a big part of his development. He wasn't that skilled when he came out of HS. He really made the right choice.

as much as it pains me, I agree.

Roy has done some great things with his big men (LaFrentz, Ostertag, Collison, Gooden)

Self hasn't proven he can develope anyone.

(but, then again, lets not forget Chenowith...)

Donger
03-31-2006, 04:19 PM

Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue?