PDA

View Full Version : Car Advice Forum?

gblowfish
04-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Everybody talking about cars cars cars, so I have a question too.

In the near future, my job my require me to get a much more fuel efficent ride. I've started looking at possibilities, probably will buy something that is 2 or 3 years old. I'm a big guy, need something I can fit into, that gets relatively decent gas mileage, automatic tranny, OK passing power on the freeway, reasonable reliability. Here's what I'm considering, and if any CPers have experience with any of these vehicles, your insights would be welcome. Or if there's anything not on the list that should be, your recommendation:

My List in Order of Current Interest (2003-2005 models):

1) Mazda 3 5-door hatchback
2) Toyota Corolla
3) Honda Civic 4-door
4) Buick Century
5) VW New Beetle (gas not diesel)

HemiEd
04-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Of the list, I would take number 4. Another option, the 300M Chryslers are a good buy IMO. I love my 2002, and would buy another one. FWIW

stevieray
04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I just got my wife a Buick.

love it.

stevieray
04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Of the list, I would take number 4. Another option, the 300M Chryslers are a good buy IMO. I love my 2002, and would buy another one. FWIW

I like the 300C.

HemiEd
04-01-2006, 08:45 AM
I like the 300C.

It has grown on me as well, but I really need Front Wheel Drive up here in the winter.

StcChief
04-01-2006, 08:46 AM
4 of 5 are small cars.

The Century large mid size??? Wouldn't recommend.
I'm with HemiEd 300M for same size would be better.

Depends on what you need it for ???

Daily driver good mileage reliability... Honda or Toyota

A Friend has new Beattle conv. not a regular daily car

Concern about Mazda....not sure if they are made better. Ford owns 40%?

jspchief
04-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Toyota Corrolla or Nissan Maxima.

The Nissans have a lot more room than it looks like they would.

gblowfish
04-01-2006, 08:51 AM
My next door neighbor and one of my best buds in St. Louis have 2005 Mazda 3 5-doors. The seat pushes way back so the room is pretty good, headroom is good. The frame is Volvo, drive train Mazda, suspension is Ford.

Buick Century is one of the top rated American sedans for reliability and gas mileage with a 6 cylinder (22 city/30 highway).

My wife's side of the family has driven Toyota forever. They're basically bullet proof, and easy to find parts.

The VW...don't know so much. Think its a cool design, but VW has had reliability issues, and don't hold up as well as Toyota or Honda.

Bob Dole
04-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Per the mechanics Bob Dole knows that work on them, the Beetle is crap.

StcChief
04-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Toyota Corrolla or Nissan Maxima.

The Nissans have a lot more room than it looks like they would.

I loved my Maxima (until I totalled it), I would recommend them to anyone for size, performance, reliability, road feel with SE.

jspchief
04-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I loved my Maxima (until I totalled it), I would recommend them to anyone for size, performance, reliability, road feel with SE.I've owned nothing but trucks since I was 18, but my wife has a Maxima and if I ever had to buy a car, Maxima would get serious consideration. I love the styling of the new ones.

StcChief
04-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I've owned nothing but trucks since I was 18, but my wife has a Maxima and if I ever had to buy a car, Maxima would get serious consideration. I love the styling of the new ones.

Yeah.

I had a 1998 SE and 2002 SE (3.5L).
Fast for 4 door 0-60 under 6 sec.

The new 2004+ look ok are heavy and slower at 6.5 sec 0-60.

CrazyHorse
04-01-2006, 09:10 AM
If there is one thing I have learned about Chiefsplanet, it's no place to ask for car advice. There is little to no credible sources. Those who are credible, are outnumbered 20-1 by those who really know nothing about cars, yet act as though they do.

In short, you will know less after asking then you knew before asking.

I recommend you go drive the cars and make your own decision.

burt
04-01-2006, 09:16 AM
If there is one thing I have learned about Chiefsplanet, it's no place to ask for car advice. There is little to no credible sources. Those who are credible, are outnumbered 20-1 by those who really know nothing about cars, yet act as though they do.

Yeah, my 18 years in the automotive industry doesn't give me credibility.

But I do agree with your last sentence. If it's used, the car stands on it's own merit. I ave seen good AND crappy in all makes and models.

jspchief
04-01-2006, 09:19 AM

I recommend you go drive the cars and make your own decision.If there's one thing I've learned about Chiefsplanet, it's that there is no shortage of condescending pricks.

Bob Dole
04-01-2006, 09:33 AM

And completely ignore the objective input from people who work in or know people who work in the business of buying, selling and repairing the products in question.

Bob Dole owns a Mazda RX-8 that he wouldn't recommend in this instance, even though Bob Dole loves driving it and hasn't had a major problem beyond a chip re-flash to address a high ambient temperature (100+ degrees) operating issue. Based on first-hand information, the car just isn't reliable for a typical commuter car and/or driver. It's engineered to be a sports car and if you don't drive it like one (much like the old British Leyland products), you'll likely have problems with it.

The Honda and Mazda listed are solid, dependable cars. The VW Beetle is complete crap. Bob Dole can't speak to the Toyota and Buick models (though Bob Dole was under the impression that the buyer must be older than 60 to legally purchase a Buick).

CrazyHorse
04-01-2006, 09:45 AM
If there's one thing I've learned about Chiefsplanet, it's that there is no shortage of condescending pricks.

You obviously feel you fit the criteria.

jspchief
04-01-2006, 09:46 AM
You obviously feel you fit the criteria.You bet I do.

CrazyHorse
04-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, my 18 years in the automotive industry doesn't give me credibility.

But I do agree with your last sentence. If it's used, the car stands on it's own merit. I ave seen good AND crappy in all makes and models.

Did I single you out? Or did I basically say that there is 20 people that dont know what they are talking about, for every one that does? Is that statement incorrect?

Whats the problem?

CrazyHorse
04-01-2006, 09:47 AM
You bet I do.

LOL

burt
04-01-2006, 09:49 AM
And completely ignore the objective input from people who work in or know people who work in the business of buying, selling and repairing the products in question.

The Honda and Mazda listed are solid, dependable cars. The VW Beetle is complete crap. Bob Dole can't speak to the Toyota and Buick models (though Bob Dole was under the impression that the buyer must be older than 60 to legally purchase a Buick).

Yeah, 12 hours a day, for 18 years.....working in and around all makes and models...ignore OUR advice ....and listen to Bob Dole. I have sold more cars most months than he has purchased in his lifetime.

Bob Dole is right...there is no shortage of condescending pricks.

Sfeihc
04-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Don't buy a junk Chevy.

burt
04-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Did I single you out? Or did I basically say that there is 20 people that dont know what they are talking about, for every one that does? Is that statement incorrect?

Whats the problem?

Okay....it's Saturday....Sales Managers all work Saturday....I guess I am just sensitive....but then again...people like Bob Dole makes us noobs a little defensive. Sorry.

burt
04-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Don't buy a junk Chevy.

See....another f**king expert.......

Bob Dole
04-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Yeah, 12 hours a day, for 18 years.....working in and around all makes and models...ignore OUR advice ....and listen to Bob Dole. I have sold more cars most months than he has purchased in his lifetime.

Bob Dole is right...there is no shortage of condescending pricks.

If you took it Bob Dole's post as an offense, Bob Dole must not have said what Bob Dole thought he was saying.

Bob Dole was recommending that he most definitely needs to consider opinions from people like you, and simply added his own opinion to the mix.

Bob Dole
04-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Bob Dole sees the error now. Bob Dole left off the sarcasm smiley.

Note to n00bs: Bob Dole is often sarcastic. For example, the following statement is dripping with sarcasm.

burt
04-01-2006, 10:06 AM

Note to n00bs: Bob Dole is often sarcastic. For example, the following statement is dripping with sarcasm.

Dale Mercer apologizes to Bob Dole. Dale Mercer usually enjoys sarcasm. Just tend to be sensitive about my career.

Chief Pote
04-01-2006, 10:08 AM

Hell I'm a nOOb and even I know that much. Sir....<---open respect.

gblowfish
04-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, to both those who know what you're talking about and those who don't. I appreciate it.

burt
04-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the advice, to both those who know what you're talking about and those who don't. I appreciate it.

Hey, I appreciate a chance ti get pissy with some one....even IF I WAS WRONG!!!!! Thanks man!

Skip Towne
04-01-2006, 05:18 PM
I'd ask Frazod. He's a fata..... I mean a big guy and he trades cars a lot.