PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have Lenny Walls or Tony Richardson on the roster?

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:40 AM
WTF is going on, Carl?

:cuss:

Ultra Peanut
04-02-2006, 01:40 AM
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

milkman
04-02-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the best example of a dumbass question ever.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:44 AM

Eh, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this idiotic signing. They're making about the same money.

For an '06 championship run T-Rich does alot more for our team.

greg63
04-02-2006, 01:45 AM
T-RICH!

You're still up?

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:45 AM
T-RICH!

You're still up?

It's 1:45 AM on a Saturday night. I just got back from the grocery store with a 12-pack of Pepsi and a gallon of milk. I observed the speed limit. I AM A PARTY ANIMAL!!!

greg63
04-02-2006, 01:48 AM
It's 1:45 AM on a Saturday night. I just got back from the grocery store with a 12-pack of Pepsi and a gallon of milk. I observed the speed limit. I AM A PARTY ANIMAL!!!

ROFLROFLROFL

I'll take your word for it; although it has not yet been confirmed by my 8 ball.

greg63
04-02-2006, 01:49 AM
Eh, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this idiotic signing. They're making about the same money.

Why bother? One would go stark raving mad tryin to wrap their head around this one.

StcChief
04-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Much as I Love TRich..........hate to see him leave.
Cash in the final years for a nice chuck of change and
a more FB oriented Offense......

Walls is an immediate need we can't overlook,
hope he doesn't get hurt and be a bust.

tk13
04-02-2006, 01:58 AM
It's because Ronnie Cruz is going to destroy the world!

Lzen
04-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Obviously, TRich was a great FB and a great leader in the locker room. But let's not forget that we need a lot of help at CB. Also, if Robert Holcombe comes back healthy, we may be fine at the FB position.

Skip Towne
04-02-2006, 09:29 AM
I'll take Lenny "Too Tall" Walls.

Sully
04-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Funny...
I was just getting ready to ask who you owuld rather have...
1988 Joe Montana
or
Bobby Hebert, any year.

Ultra Peanut
04-02-2006, 09:32 AM
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHThis was my 32,000th post.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-02-2006, 09:45 AM

looking to hook up with Squiggy, Miss De Fazio

Chief Roundup
04-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Obviously, TRich was a great FB and a great leader in the locker room. But let's not forget that we need a lot of help at CB. Also, if Robert Holcombe comes back healthy, we may be fine at the FB position.
Sorry but we only signed Holcombe to a one year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2032195

Chiefs agree to terms with FB Holcombe
SportsTicker
National Football League News Wire

KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday agreed to terms with fullback Robert Holcombe on a one-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

The move reunited Holcombe with coach Dick Vermeil, whom he played under with the St. Louis Rams from 1998-2001. He spent his last three seasons with the Tennessee Titans.

In 97 career games, the 29-year-old Holcombe has rushed for 1,141 yards and nine touchdowns. He also has 69 catches for 573 yards and three scores.

Kerberos
04-02-2006, 10:29 AM

Ding-Ding-Ding..... We have a winner.

This has got to be one of the Dumbest F***ing polls EVA!

:shake:

More attention for cheeze! :shake:

I just got back from the grocery store with a 12-pack of Pepsi and a gallon of milk.

Been watching the late nite re-runs of Laverne & Shirley have we ???

Milk&Pepsi :Lin: :Lin: :Lin:

DaWolf
04-02-2006, 11:42 AM
As compared to our '04, and '05 championship runs?

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Been watching the late nite re-runs of Laverne & Shirley have we ???

Milk&Pepsi :Lin: :Lin: :Lin:

Uh, yeah, I drink everything I buy TOGETHER. Yeah, that's it.

:rolleyes:

Archie Bunker
04-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Give me Walls. I will take any form of defensive help over a 34 yr old FB that play 25% of the time. T-Rich will be missed more in the locker room than on the field.

Walls has a chance to be a good #2 CB, its a small chance but a chance I am glad the Chiefs are taking.

mcan
04-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Personally, I'd rather have Tony on the team. I think he does a lot for us and is MONEY in opening holes up for Larry and protecting Trent.

The idea that he'll only play 25% of the time is dependant on a lot of things, and just because he's 34 doesn't mean that he isn't one of the best in the league. I'm all about thinking of the future, but the only reason to get a YOUNGER fullback is in the hopes that he'll be as good as Tony Richardson one day... But to get rid of somebody who is already as good is a step backwards.

Of course, everything I said above is independent of monetary considerations. A strong argument could be made that we don't use the FB as a "skill" position, and that we can't afford to throw a ton of money at a non "skill" position. But I would counter that argument with this: T-Rich is a COG in the wheel of a magnificent offense. Getting rid of that COG and replacing it with another (less expensive) cog is taking a BIG risk that the whole machine might not work very well. The reliability of that cog should be worth the 50% extra that a guy like T-Rich would cost over a guy like Holcombe (sp?). Even if we could only give him a two year deal.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 12:32 PM
How many snaps does Lawrence Tynes play? I believe Richardson is even more important when it comes to scoring points in the redzone.

mcan
04-02-2006, 12:32 PM
How many snaps does Lawrence Tynes play? I believe Richardson is even more important when it comes to scoring points in the redzone.

GOCHIEFS with the logic bomb of the century... That's REP baby.

Adept Havelock
04-02-2006, 12:33 PM
I'd rather have both. If I have to choose, T-Rich.

mcan
04-02-2006, 12:41 PM
GOCHIEFS with the logic bomb of the century... That's REP baby.

Of course, a counter to that argument would be:

T-Rich would cost twice what Lawrence Tynes does, band Tynes scores 70+ points a year to Richardson's 6 (last year)...

KCChiefsMan
04-02-2006, 12:45 PM
I don't think he is asking the question as much as making a point that CP is a bastard

KCChiefsMan
04-02-2006, 12:46 PM

T-Rich would cost twice what Lawrence Tynes does, band Tynes scores 70+ points a year to Richardson's 6 (last year)...

so he doesn't factor in any of those rushing TDs in the red zone?

Archie Bunker
04-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Maybe I dont value FBs as much as I should. I like T-Rich don't get me wrong but when it comes down to it the Chiefs IMO made the right call on letting him go. It seems to me that last year T-Rich was phased out of the offense because the Chiefs ran the ball better out of the singleback with Dunn in as an extra TE.

If Solari feels a guy like Cruz can give us quality snaps when a fullback is used than I am going to trust him on that. I think Cruz looked good blocking in the preseason and seems to be more of a running and catching threat than T-Rich at this point in thier careers.

Utlimately I would have prefered to keep T-Rich but I don't see losing him as a death blow to the offense. If ranked the offensive players in order of importance T-Rich would be well down on the list.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 12:50 PM

How many points would Tynes score without a holder and a competent snapper? They are the Tony Richardsons of Lawrence Tynes world.

craneref
04-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I am one that was SAD to see T-Rich move on, I liked what he brought to the CHIEFS on and off the field. Lenny Walls was not in place of T-Rich, I think we would have signed him if T-Rich would have stayed or not. I think Kris Wilson is our new starting H-Back and we will go without a traditional FB most of the time. This gives the Offense more flexibility by shifting into a TRUE passing formation from a run heavy one, without sweitching the personnel on the field, and in theory would cause match up problems for the "D". Still would have liked to keep T-Rich though, still like the Walls signing, but I don't thinkg the two had anything to do with one another. GO CHIEFS.

milkman
04-02-2006, 01:02 PM
I am one that was SAD to see T-Rich move on, I liked what he brought to the CHIEFS on and off the field. Lenny Walls was not in place of T-Rich, I think we would have signed him if T-Rich would have stayed or not. I think Kris Wilson is our new starting H-Back and we will go without a traditional FB most of the time. This gives the Offense more flexibility by shifting into a TRUE passing formation from a run heavy one, without sweitching the personnel on the field, and in theory would cause match up problems for the "D". Still would have liked to keep T-Rich though, still like the Walls signing, but I don't thinkg the two had anything to do with one another. GO CHIEFS.

I think with Hermie and Mike Soalri running things, we are going to see less creativity on offense, so I find it highly unlikely things will play out like this.

Skip Towne
04-02-2006, 01:04 PM
How many points would Tynes score without a holder and a competent snapper? They are the Tony Richardsons of Lawrence Tynes world.
I agree. Let's keep the snapper and the holder. It's T-Rich we don't need. Should the railroad keep a telegraph operator just because he is good at what he does and is loyal?

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Man I just thought of a great nickname for Mike Solari if our offense goes south.

Mike SOLari.

mcan
04-02-2006, 01:05 PM

Sorry, I forgot about extra points too... So, we're actually looking at 120 points total.

An average NFL snapper/holder combo will botch a field goal or extra point 1 out of every 80 tries or so... So without Kendall on the team, we'd expect to miss one extra kick a year. There's a 60% chance that the missed kick would be a PAT. So, 119 points...

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Lenny Walls is a great pick-up for any teams looking for guys who have outstanding physical measurables, but don't have the motor skills to make use of them. Any GMs looking for a stiff, tall CB who has a hard time recovering from the double move and gets injured often is going to be pleased with having Walls on the team.

I think you guys found a great way to replace all the talent you lost with Bartee, in a taller package.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I think you guys found a great way to replace all the talent you lost with Bartee, in a taller package.

We didn't lose Bartee. :cuss: :banghead:

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Even better.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Didn't Lenny Walls have a decent season under David Gibbs? I think this move has his fingerprints all over it.

mcan
04-02-2006, 01:24 PM
so he doesn't factor in any of those rushing TDs in the red zone?

Sure he does... I'm not saying that at all. In fact, a couple posts before yours I was calling T-Rich a very reliable cog in a magnificent offense. It's much easier to tell how many botched snaps there are by the average NFL snapper/holder than it is to tell how many Goalline TDs were the direct result of a probowl calibre play by the lead blocker. It's possible that, given the talent of our line, just about any average fullback could do Tony's job just as effectively as Tony did. In fact, it's also possible that we'll end up with somebody who will perform BETTER than Tony would, given Tony's age.

However, I doubt it, and I tend to think that we'll probably see somewhat of a diminished production from short yardage situations. I don't know if it'll be enough of a reduction to translate into fewer rushing TDs though. Perhaps a few less successful 3rd and inch to go situations. But the loss of T-Rich should be more than offset by the full-time use of a more powerfull halfback (LJ as opposed to Priest). We used to run that stretch play on 3rd and short all the time with Priest and it was about 50/50 to either get the first down and probably 5 or 6 yards on top of that, or to get slammed for a 4 yard loss. It was especially bad when Roaf got hurt. I think we'll see a better power running game with LJ between the tackles no matter WHO is at FB.

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:25 PM
The best part about Lenny Walls game is how completely scared shitless he is during Prime Time. When the lights are burning hot, so is Lenny Walls, and the moisture coming from every pore on his body confirm it.

One of the real strengths of Lenny's game is the number of chest bumps he can get in on his way from the play to the huddle after a receiver misses a catchable ball that Lenny had been out of position to make a play on.

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Didn't Lenny Walls have a decent season under David Gibbs? I think this move has his fingerprints all over it.

Nobody in our secondary had a good season under David Gibbs. We were notorious for NOT getting interceptions under David Gibbs. It wasn't until he left that those numbers tarted to go up.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Nobody in our secondary had a good season under David Gibbs. We were notorious for NOT getting interceptions under David Gibbs. It wasn't until he left that those numbers tarted to go up.

Got it. You were ranked 6th in passing defense both years, but no one had a good season!

Skip Towne
04-02-2006, 01:31 PM
OK, Taco says he's bad which means he's good. We all know Taco's track record. Good pick up.

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Got it. You were ranked 6th in passing defense both years, but no one had a good season!

I'd love to know who had such a marvelous season under David Gibbs. Who was that again?

CoMoChief
04-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Would you rather have Shaun Rogers or Junior Siavii?

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I'd love to know who had such a marvelous season under David Gibbs. Who was that again?

All I'm saying is Lenny Walls was once part of a 6th-ranked secondary.

Twice, in fact! He even had 14 passes defensed one year!

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:44 PM
OK, Taco says he's bad which means he's good. We all know Taco's track record. Good pick up.

Indeed. My track record is pretty good. For instance, I said that the Chiefs would miss the playoffs again. And guess what?

milkman
04-02-2006, 01:46 PM

How many sacks did the Donkey defense accumulate in those two seasons?

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:47 PM
How many sacks did the Donkey defense accumulate in those two seasons?

36 and 38

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:54 PM

And all I'm saying is that we didn't turn the ball over much under Gibbs. In 4 seasons with Denver, in 43 games started, Lenny Walls has had one interception.

David Gibbs coached our secondary from 2001 to 2004... Check this out...

2000 - 27 Team Interceptions
David Gibbs Joins Team
2001 - 22 Team Interceptions* (*4 in one game against Trent Green)
2002 - 9 Team Interceptions
2003 - 9 Team Interceptions
2004 - 12 Team Interceptions
David Gibbs Leaves Team
2005 - 20 Team Interceptions

You guys got the Greg Robinson of secondary coaches.

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:56 PM

I would attribute the success our secondary had to the schemes of Larry Coyer and the strength of our linebackers and the pressure they create, plus their ability to lend support to the passing game.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:56 PM
You guys got the Greg Robinson of secondary coaches.

Sorry, not buying it for a second. If Gibbs fields a sixth-ranked secondary in Kansas City, he'll be a ****ing hero.

Hammock Parties
04-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I would attribute the success our secondary had to the schemes of Larry Coyer and the strength of our linebackers and the pressure they create, plus their ability to lend support to the passing game.

OK so basically when the Broncos secondary was ranked sixth, Larry Coyer was a genius.

But when the Broncos secondary was ranked 29th, it wasn't Larry Coyer's fault?

Taco John
04-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Sorry, not buying it for a second. If Gibbs fields a sixth-ranked secondary in Kansas City, he'll be a ****ing hero.

David Gibbs was just a cling-on to the real architect of our defense.

Chief Roundup
04-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Sorry, I forgot about extra points too... So, we're actually looking at 120 points total.

An average NFL snapper/holder combo will botch a field goal or extra point 1 out of every 80 tries or so... So without Kendall on the team, we'd expect to miss one extra kick a year. There's a 60% chance that the missed kick would be a PAT. So, 119 points...

We resigned Kendall Gammon. Just so you know.

Frankie
04-02-2006, 03:03 PM
...although it has not yet been confirmed by my 8 ball. When it's a number larger than 1 you should use a plural 's,' Clark Kent.

mcan
04-02-2006, 03:04 PM
We resigned Kendall Gammon. Just so you know.

I really like Kendall, but using that roster spot on a long snapper is rough.

DaWolf
04-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey, as long as his name ain't Peter Guinta, I'm happy...

Frankie
04-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey, as long as his name ain't Peter Guinta, I'm happy...
Actually it could be even worse. It could be Peter Giunta.

craneref
04-02-2006, 03:36 PM
I think with Hermie and Mike Soalri running things, we are going to see less creativity on offense, so I find it highly unlikely things will play out like this.

At times with Saunders I thought we had TOO much creativity. We would be running the ball at will, then throw three incomplete passes and punt the ball. Creativity may decline, but I am not so sure that production will. Being creative is more than just being different on every snap, it is using the tools you have to achieve maximum performance. I think production may actually INCREASE under Solari, because I believe if something is working, he will stick with it until the "D" stops it. GO CHIEFS.

htismaqe
04-02-2006, 03:44 PM
At times with Saunders I thought we had TOO much creativity. We would be running the ball at will, then throw three incomplete passes and punt the ball. Creativity may decline, but I am not so sure that production will. Being creative is more than just being different on every snap, it is using the tools you have to achieve maximum performance. I think production may actually INCREASE under Solari, because I believe if something is working, he will stick with it until the "D" stops it. GO CHIEFS.

EXCELLENT post.

milkman
04-02-2006, 04:11 PM

Oh, I agree.

All I'm suggesting is that the approach will be more conventional.

Al Saunders offensive philosophy was based on the idea of creating mismatches.

I expect, though, I can't say with absolute certainty, that Hermie and Solari will be more direct.

With our O-Line, and LJ, we should still be a high scoring, productive offense.

greg63
04-02-2006, 08:52 PM
When it's a number larger than 1 you should use a plural 's,' Clark Kent.

...Didn't want to sound as if I was bragging, but..... ;)