PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: KC could learn from Indy's success

tk13
04-03-2006, 04:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14249092.htm

Indy has become hot sports town
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

INDIANAPOLIS — Twenty years ago I was a bellman at the Holiday Inn that sat between the Hoosier Dome and refurbished Union Station. A gravel parking lot served the dome, the hotel and Union Station.

On our nights off, we’d drink beer at the Original Sports Bar until 3 a.m., stumble across the gravel and crash in empty rooms at the Holiday Inn. The city hadn’t yet caught Colts fever. The Pacers still played a sour brand of professional basketball at Market Square Arena. And Indy’s downtown revitalization was in its infancy.

But the summer of ’86 is a time I’ll never forget. You could feel what was coming. You knew there would be more hotels, more restaurants, more nightclubs and more big events, such as the Final Four.

You knew one day people would hail my hometown as the perfect place to hold a Final Four.

“This is the absolute best place to hold the Final Four,” New York-based sports writer Mike Lupica told a woman Sunday morning as he walked off the set of ESPN’s “The Sports Reporters.”

“I’m not just saying that. My kids love it. And only in Indy do you just run into everyone, all the coaches and everybody.”

You know what Naptown is? It’s George Mason, the ultimate midmajor, a small town that feels like a big city, especially on nights like tonight when Indy will play host to the NCAA title game between UCLA and Florida.

I bring all this up because coming here for the Final Four reminds me just how important sports can be to a city. A lot of time we get bogged down in the negative aspects of professional and big-time college sports, and we forget their positive influences.

The Chiefs and the Royals made Kansas City special. This area’s passion for college basketball and football make us unique. It’s too bad we’ve failed to take full advantage of our passion for sports the way Indianapolis has. The history and tradition of the Chiefs and the Royals is superior to the Colts and Pacers. Our love of the Royals and Chiefs runs deeper than Indy’s love of its two professional sports franchises.

But we haven’t matched Indy’s commitment. The Pacers play in a new arena, and Indy is preparing to build the Colts a second home in 25 years.

Indy became the ultimate midmajor by defining itself as the amateur sports capital of the world and investing mightily in its downtown. Its city’s leaders developed a plan and stuck to it.

It’s impossible to exaggerate the importance of sports to the identity of Indianapolis. Without the Indy 500, the Brickyard 400, Peyton Manning, Reggie Miller, the NCAA headquarters and all the rest, Indianapolis would still be just another mediocre city with a terrible downtown.

I lived that. I lived in Indianapolis when Dick the Bruiser was Indy’s biggest star and a Friday night wrestling show featuring the Bruiser and Bobo Brazil passed as a special evening.

Now nights like tonight seem sort of old hat to Indy, a regular host of the Final Four. The novelty has worn off and now people expect excellence, so much so that there’s actually a little pressure on tonight’s championship.

The opening night of the Final Four was a total dud. Florida handled George Mason easily, and UCLA destroyed LSU. The Bruins’ defensive prowess and lack of offensive skill could potentially turn the title game into an ugly, low-scoring snooze.

The Bruins and the Gators need to put on a performance the equal of Indianapolis.

plbrdude
04-03-2006, 07:11 AM
there was a point in there somewhere that i missed, right?

kc rush
04-03-2006, 07:27 AM

The point was that JW had a deadline, so he pulled something out of his ass.

This might have been decent if he had completed his thoughts on the final four, or on how KC has an opportunity to become more than it is.

jidar
04-03-2006, 07:28 AM

Must be on top of your head.

He's obviously trying to show that it's worth it to pay for your sports franchises. People in the area are too damned stingy though.

Deberg_1990
04-03-2006, 07:30 AM
The point was that JW had a deadline, so he pulled something out of his ass.

DING DING DING...We have a WINNER!!

htismaqe
04-03-2006, 07:53 AM
The thought of KC being like Indy is gonna piss some people off...especially since the taxpayers footed 100% of the bill for the Colts' new stadium...

RedNFeisty
04-03-2006, 08:37 AM
The thought of KC being like Indy is gonna piss some people off...especially since the taxpayers footed 100% of the bill for the Colts' new stadium...

If you want something bad enough, you have to be willing to pay/work for it; if you don’t want it bad enough than don’t bitch when it doesn’t happen.

If people want a new arena than they should be willing to pay for it; why should the state pay for it when they can not take care of their people, such as the homeless, or children without food. Why spend money on inane things such as an arena?

Dartgod
04-03-2006, 08:47 AM
It’s impossible to exaggerate the importance of sports to the identity of Indianapolis. Without the Indy 500, the Brickyard 400, Peyton Manning, Reggie Miller, the NCAA headquarters and all the rest, Indianapolis would still be just another mediocre city with a terrible downtown. [It would be Kansas City] This was his point. It is probably the most correct thing he has said in some time.

Chiefnj
04-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Isn't it easier to build a community around a sports franchise when that franchise is located smack dab in the middle of the city?

beer bacon
04-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Isn't it easier to build a community around a sports franchise when that franchise is located smack dab in the middle of the city?

Are you suggesting that the Chiefs should relocate to downtown?

Chiefnj
04-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Are you suggesting that the Chiefs should relocate to downtown?

I think it is difficult to compare two cities when in one city the stadium is located downtown and in the other it isn't. I've never been to Indy, but my understanding is that the stadium is located in the middle of the city with dozens of hotels, restaurants and entertainment within walking distance.

jspchief
04-03-2006, 09:49 AM
If people want a new arena than they should be willing to pay for it; why should the state pay for it when they can not take care of their people, such as the homeless, or children without food. Why spend money on inane things such as an arena?Are you serious?

Using the same logic, the state should stop wasting money on museums, parks, pools, playgrounds, etc.

states use tax money for a lot of things. Sometimes it's the real neccesities like food and shelter, but sometimes it's also used on the things that make a city or state great to live in, allowing that state to thrive. Not every state has the appeal of California or Florida, so they have to spend money to not become the next North Dakota.

ChiefsCountry
04-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Here is the point Whitlock is getting at. He is saying a crappy city like Indianapolis with crappy sports teams has put that city on the map. He also says that KC has more potential to do better bc of the Chiefs and Royals.

|Zach|
04-03-2006, 10:49 AM
How shortsighted to you have to be to think that it being downtown is the only way to help a city flourish.

There is a lot of trickle down to the effect of bussinesses that have been able to capatilize on the Chiefs directly and indirectly...

Lets not even talk about KC...business owners in places like Liberty, Blue Springs, and Lee's Summit are jumping all over themselves to make this happen. They have a lot to lose over a lot of KC's identity fading away.

RedNFeisty
04-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Are you serious?

Using the same logic, the state should stop wasting money on museums, parks, pools, playgrounds, etc.

states use tax money for a lot of things. Sometimes it's the real neccesities like food and shelter, but sometimes it's also used on the things that make a city or state great to live in, allowing that state to thrive. Not every state has the appeal of California or Florida, so they have to spend money to not become the next North Dakota.

Yes I am serious!! However, I must have wrote it wrong; what I am saying is that taxes should be raised to pay for it, do not use current taxes that should be allocated else where.

jspchief
04-03-2006, 11:03 AM
How shortsighted to you have to be to think that it being downtown is the only way to help a city flourish.

There is a lot of trickle down to the effect of bussinesses that have been able to capatilize on the Chiefs directly and indirectly...

Lets not even talk about KC...business owners in places like Liberty, Blue Springs, and Lee's Summit are jumping all over themselves to make this happen. They have a lot to lose over a lot of KC's identity fading away.Not only is it shortsighted to think a city needs a thriving downtown to be a flourishing city, it's antiquated.

There aren't going to be any more New Yorks or Chicagos. The new age of growth is about suburbs and proximity. People don't want to go downtown to eat and be entertained, they want to go down the street. These cities that pour money into downtown in an attempt to revitalize the area tend to forget why the area got to that point in the first place.

jspchief
04-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Yes I am serious!! However, I must have wrote it wrong; what I am saying is that taxes should be raised to pay for it, do not use current taxes that should be allocated else where.I misunderstood your initial post then. I agree.

RedNFeisty
04-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I misunderstood your initial post then. I agree.

Clint tends to do that, I think it is called selective hearing/reading!! I will not take blame!

:)