PDA

View Full Version : Draft: Who's weakest at their position?

Mr. Laz
04-04-2006, 11:05 AM
which player is the biggest weakness at their particular position?

which is our biggest position of need for the draft?

58-4ever
04-04-2006, 11:08 AM
who is wesley wall?

Dunit35
04-04-2006, 11:09 AM
We have Wesley Walls on our team?

cmh6476
04-04-2006, 11:12 AM
who is this wesley wall you speak of? :spock:

Mr. Laz
heh ... wesley walls was a tightend ... dont' think he's in the league anymore.

should be lenny walls ... the cornerback we just signed.

maybe a mod could change that. :)

of course you guys all already knew that... but don't let me get in the way of your fun. :p

Bowser
It's a toss up between Hicks and Wesley. I went for Wesley. We need a fierce free safety, and Wesley just ain't that.

Lenny Walls would have been the obvious, but I doubt he's going to be the starter on opening day.

Dunit35
04-04-2006, 11:13 AM
I went with Hicks because he is bringing 0 pass rush for us.

ct
04-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Wesley Walls would make a really poor CB!! I voted for Kendrell Bell, who had better get his shit together, or cut that sumbitch and go with Fox or Griffin.

UteChief
04-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I voted for Wesley, Greg not whoever. He was burned to often last year.

StcChief
04-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Greg Wesley
Hicks

cmh6476
04-04-2006, 11:28 AM
As far as addressing these positions in the draft as well as free agency from here on out:

DT- For some reason, I don't see this as a position we will likely be addressing. Sims hopefully will be back, it would be nice to see if he will ever live up to any of the hype, or for that matter stay on the field for an extended period of time. But we also resigned Dalton, Browning figures to be in the mix, Siavii isnt going anywhere yet, and we just signed that other guy no one really seems to be too high on. So while this isnt a position loaded with talent for us, it does seem to be a position loaded with depth. If anything, I could see us wasting a 2nd day pick to compete for a roster spot with the other scrubs.

DE- I will specifically speak about Eric Hicks here, cause the other side seems to at least be ok. I think Hicks has had a lot to do with our lack of success on the defensive side of the ball, as we have remained committed to the guy for years and years while all we ever get out of him is mediocrity. Yet, we can't justify taking him out of the lineup with all the money we have locked up in him. I almost wish we'd part ways with Hicks and start looking in a new direction, cause all I think we are ever going to get out of Hicks is consistent mediocrity. I'd like to see us improve at the position, just not sure if we'll try and address it unfortunately.

OLB- Not sure what the deal was with Bell, I almost think it just took him a little time to adjust to the defense. Didn't we restructure his contract so he's not making as much as he did with his initial signing? if so, I'm not oppossed to him sticking around, but it'd be nice if a guy like Keyaron Fox would come back healthy and press him for playing time. If not, an OLB draft prospect would probably work as well.

FS- Wesley seems to be one of those up and down guys. One instance you'll see him make an outstanding play, then on the very next down he'll make a mental mistake and get beat. Too inconsistent, but I'm not so sure we really need to address the position in the draft. What's the deal with Woods now anyways?

CB- I hope to hell Walls ins't our starting corner opposite Surtain. I'd like to see us go out and get another solid corner, and have Walls be our Nickel. I'm not sold on Hodge and not sure how Battle will bounce back, and I'd like us to have another proven corner on the roster. Hopefully this position will be addressed by bringing in another veteran corner.

WR- I think we could justify using an early pick on a receiver, just so long as it aint a snoop or sly morris clone-bust. I'd really like us to find a receiver we get in the draft that develops into a quality product.

OL- I'm confident with all our guys coming back, and don't see a reason to try and get an immediate impact guy. But we have to start looking towards the future and try and find replacements for our aging vets. No reason to waste your early picks, but it would be nice to find a late round sleeper to groom into a starting role down the road.

Just a few thoughts...

cmh6476
04-04-2006, 11:31 AM
i'm the only one that voted for wesley wall? :shrug:

RedThat
04-04-2006, 11:34 AM
hmmm....thats a good question Laz. Don't really know how to answer it?

-Um, I'll say that, I really like Welbourn, and Samie Parker. I don't consider them as weaknesses.

-Lenny Walls never played a game here, so I'll pass up on that judgement.

-Kendrell Bell? I don't think we utilized him well enough, plus, he was hurt. But he is definately not an OLB...we all know that. With Mitchell and DJ, I don't see any use for Bell.

-Eric Hicks can't pass rush worth a damn....which definately explains our pass rush as inadequate.

-Greg Wesley is just a flat out dumb safety. Who still blows his assignments, can't cover if we asked him too....and also misses tackles.

-Ryan Sims? It is hard to say. He is a #1 pick. Hasn't played up to the potential of a #6 overall pick, but let us not forget he was hampered with injuries, and missed 2 seasons because of injuries...Sims is still a work in progress.

*I'm gonna have to say I have narrowed my choices down to 3. Wesley, Hicks, and Bell. What I'd like to see the Chiefs do is address our positions of weakness/need through the first 3 rds of the draft.

I'd like to see this:

1st rd-DE
2nd rd-FS
3rd rd-OLB

Sure-Oz
04-04-2006, 11:39 AM
definetly Larry Johnson

Sure-Oz
04-04-2006, 11:40 AM
btw-who the **** is wesley walls?

Bowser
04-04-2006, 11:40 AM
definetly Larry Johnson

Why do you think we signed the next Barry Sanders?

htismaqe
04-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I just posted this as the answer to your question in the draft forum...

----------------------

It's really not about where they rank, although based on past performance I'd rate Hicks and Bell above Wesley.

It's also about what these guys were brought here to do. Lenny Walls will compete for a spot, he's not a starter. Bell was a former DRoY as a pass rusher, and Gunther decided to have him cover TE's. Parker and Sims have both been hampered by injuries. And Welbourn is playing out of position.

The only guy on that list that is a 100%, bonafide starter with no outside circumstances or other legitimate or illegitimate "excuses" (like playing out of position or being injured) is Wesley - and he just plain sucks.

Safety is the most overlooked position on defense, IMO. Every great defense has a great safety.

Munson
04-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Ryan Sims is, by far, the biggest weakness. The guy has made absolutely zero impact in his 4 year career.

year-----games-----tackles
2002-------6---------6
2003-------16-------39
2004-------15-------15
2005--------6--------8
===================
total--------43-------68

These are the most pathetic stats I've ever seen. He averages 10.75 games a year and 17 tackles per year. You could find undrafted free agents that put up better stats than that.

In my opinion, he is the reason this defense sucks so bad. Since he's been a bust and made no impact, KC has been trying to draft other defensive tackles in the 2nd/3rd rounds to make up for him(Junior Siavii, EddieFreeman, Montique Sharpe). And all of those guys have been busts too. In essence, the Chiefs keep digging themselves in a deeper hole because they weren't able to address other areas of need, like CB/S/WR.

Ryan "Welfare" Sims. He gets paid to do nothing.

J Diddy
04-04-2006, 02:21 PM
btw-who the **** is wesley walls?

he's a te on another team

el borracho
04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Erick Hicks is the worst starter on the Chiefs and has been for years. Every year I say a little prayer that the Chiefs find a decent player to replace the DE who "can handle being 1 and 4."

listopencil
04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
As far as addressing these positions in the draft as well as free agency from here on out:

CB- I hope to hell Walls ins't our starting corner opposite Surtain. I'd like to see us go out and get another solid corner, and have Walls be our Nickel. I'm not sold on Hodge and not sure how Battle will bounce back, and I'd like us to have another proven corner on the roster. Hopefully this position will be addressed by bringing in another veteran corner.

Just a few thoughts...

This is the problem with Walls. He's big and has problems with shifty little guys that tend to be #3 WR's. You would probably be better off with him as the #2 guy, but he's not as consistant as you would like a solid #2 to be. He's got the speed and size but his head drifts up into his ass from time to time. If someone on your staff could wake him up he would be an asset at the #2 CB spot. I liked the guy when he played for the Broncos until three rookies came in and showed me what a #2/#3 CB looks like.

Hammock Parties
04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
did we get Lenny Walls or something? people keep talking about him a lot...

listopencil
04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
did we get Lenny Walls or something? people keep talking about him a lot...

Yep. Something like $1.75 MIL. Can't remember.

Hammock Parties
04-04-2006, 05:14 PM
lol oh... i never heard about that. i guess thats good.
when did this happen?

ChiefaRoo
04-04-2006, 05:14 PM
which player is the biggest weakness at their particular position?

which is our biggest position of need for the draft?

I think GM is our biggest position of need. Can you add that?

Skip Towne
04-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Johnny Johnson really sucks.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I think GM is our biggest position of need. Can you add that?

no ... alas, they don't allow GM's to be drafted or we would of used a 1st rounder on a new one a long,long time ago.

cmh6476
04-04-2006, 05:23 PM
This is the problem with Walls. He's big and has problems with shifty little guys that tend to be #3 WR's. You would probably be better off with him as the #2 guy, but he's not as consistant as you would like a solid #2 to be. He's got the speed and size but his head drifts up into his ass from time to time. If someone on your staff could wake him up he would be an asset at the #2 CB spot. I liked the guy when he played for the Broncos until three rookies came in and showed me what a #2/#3 CB looks like.

Can he cover Antonio Gates? That's about all I'm really concerned about :thumb:

the Talking Can
04-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Sims..not even close

Bell doesn't count, he didn't actually play last year...he just watched..more like a Fan with great tickets...

Fire Me Boy!
04-04-2006, 05:39 PM
WR- I think we could justify using an early pick on a receiver, just so long as it aint a snoop or sly morris clone-bust. I'd really like us to find a receiver we get in the draft that develops into a quality product.
I don't think that's very fair for Sly... Snoop was a bust, OK. Sly had a MAJOR knee injury and never got a chance to get back. Then, when he got that chance in Tampa had another significant knee injury. Dude was pretty good as a rookie and showed a lot of promise (he was an all-rookie selection, if I'm not mistaken). He had about 50 receptions and 700 yards in 2000. Just never got the chance.

htismaqe
04-04-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't think that's very fair for Sly... Snoop was a bust, OK. Sly had a MAJOR knee injury and never got a chance to get back. Then, when he got that chance in Tampa had another significant knee injury. Dude was pretty good as a rookie and showed a lot of promise (he was an all-rookie selection, if I'm not mistaken). He had about 50 receptions and 700 yards in 2000. Just never got the chance.

90% of his output came in 2 games against the Chargers, just like Marc Boerigter.

Fire Me Boy!
04-04-2006, 06:07 PM
90% of his output came in 2 games against the Chargers, just like Marc Boerigter.
He averaged 314 yards a game (90% of 698 total yards is 628.2). Honestly, I don't remember it very well, but I do remember him being a promising prospect AND an all-rookie selection. That's not bad.

alanm
04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
I went for Wesley. We need a fierce free safety, and Wesley just ain't that.

Dwayne Slay - Texas Tech.
None fiercer out there. :thumb:

jlscorpio
04-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Hicks by a freakin' mile. Not even close. That being said, I will be very disappointed if Fox and/or Griffin don't get a legitimate shat at the starting OLB spot that Bell took to new lows last year. If we had the DL's to play a 3-4, I'd want them both in over him. We need some speed in there, not a guy that looks like he just ate Lendale White.

Hammock Parties
04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Welbourn doesn't belong on this list.

Neither do Wesley or Parker. :harumph:

listopencil
04-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Can he cover Antonio Gates? That's about all I'm really concerned about :thumb:

No. I don't think he could. He just doesn't move fluidly enough.

Rain Man
04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Sadly, after much consideration I voted for Sims. That's pathetic.

We need a pass rush. Whether the new guy replaces Sims or Bell or Hicks, it needs to be a guy who can plant the quarterback into the turf. That's all I want.

milkman
04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Ryan Sims is, by far, the biggest weakness. The guy has made absolutely zero impact in his 4 year career.

year-----games-----tackles
2002-------6---------6
2003-------16-------39
2004-------15-------15
2005--------6--------8
===================
total--------43-------68

These are the most pathetic stats I've ever seen. He averages 10.75 games a year and 17 tackles per year. You could find undrafted free agents that put up better stats than that.

In my opinion, he is the reason this defense sucks so bad. Since he's been a bust and made no impact, KC has been trying to draft other defensive tackles in the 2nd/3rd rounds to make up for him(Junior Siavii, EddieFreeman, Montique Sharpe). And all of those guys have been busts too. In essence, the Chiefs keep digging themselves in a deeper hole because they weren't able to address other areas of need, like CB/S/WR.

Ryan "Welfare" Sims. He gets paid to do nothing.

While Sims hasn't yet lived up to expectations, and I agree with you in general, Freeman wasn't drafted as a result of Sims' poor play.

He was our 2nd round pick in the same draft as Sims.

cmh6476
04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
fair enough.

Rain Man
04-04-2006, 07:59 PM
While Sims hasn't yet lived up to expectations, and I agree with you in general, Freeman wasn't drafted as a result of Sims' poor play.

He was our 2nd round pick in the same draft as Sims.

So Carl knew that Sims was a bust within five hours of drafting him!

bjake2
04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Sly Morris was The biggest disappointment that I have ever seen. For someone to defend that bum makes me sick to my stomach. Other than him, Ryan Simms gets my vote for the worst at his position. He is just a big bust!

Wilson8
04-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Weakest links. I know this does not exactly match your question, but these positions have to be improved for the Chiefs to be there best.

1. Cornerback. Even if Lenny Walls can play the #2 corner position, the odds are greatly against his being able to finish the season healthy. Can Julian Battle or Alphonso Hodge fill the position?

2. Left tackle (back up). Jordan Black struggled at left tackle last year. Willie Roaf’s injury exposed this weakness. Can Will Svitek progress enough in NFL Europe to fill in if needed?

3. Quarterback (back up). Damon Huard is not the answer. Trent Green being injured would end the Chief’s season. Casey Printers would have to mature quickly to handle this job.

4. Defensive line. Not one player can be singled out. All can improve. Many could be replaced. Can Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii, Carlos Hall, and Ron Edwards stay healthy? Can Eric Hicks, Jimmy Wilkerson, John Browning, and Lional Dalton improve production and help the line.

5. Safety. Greg Wesley, Jerome Woods, and William Bartee can all be improved by new players. This is listed at 5 because it is the easiest to improve upon with the draft, free agents, or with moving cornerback to safety.