PDA

View Full Version : 4 round mock

ct
04-04-2006, 01:51 PM
To condense, I'm only pasting in the 1st round, and KC's 2nd/3rd picks.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/GJH_Mock.cfm

by Glenn "GJ&H" Bernardi

last updated: 04/04/06

ROUND ONE
==
01. Hou Texans ~ RB Reggie Bush, USC
You have to give Charley Casserly credit, he's been locked in on Reggie Bush since the day Houston secured the #1 Overall Pick and has not made the mistake you can easily make if you're not careful, and that would be to look for a reason NOT to draft this absolute phenom. {Aka: Paralysis by Over-Analysis or Study Long and you Study Wrong}
==
02. N.O. Saints ~ OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
Other than Bush to Houston the worst kept secret in the draft is N.O. seeking to trade down, but I don't project trades with my mocks. Since it takes two to make a trade, and that hasn't happened as of yet, until it does I have to project a selection for the Saints at #2 Overall and Brick Ferguson just makes the most sense. I'm sorry but I'm not buying any of this mumbo-jumbo about N.O. taking a QB in this spot because Brees contract was designed as such that he can be let go following 2006 with a minimal cap hit, blah blah blah. That's not the reason they signed a fairly young Drew Brees, one and done, and I'm not buying that for one second. So in the unlikely event they cannot find a trade partner I can see the Saints opting to protect Drew Brees with an awesome young duo in RT Jammal Brown and LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson. This duo can be the envy of the league for many years to come. Having said all that, I am certain the Saints will try very hard to secure a deal with Tennessee or the Jets and draft Brick at 3 or 4.
==
03. Tenn Titans ~ QB Matt Leinart, USC
Leinart seems to have secured his spot as the first QB off the board and unless some team trades up to #2 and snatches him first, which is very likely, he looks like a very safe bet to the Titans at #3. Two things to watch, the Titans may seek to avoid getting leaped and swap 1's with the Saints themselves, or if they do get leaped for Leinart I believe Jay Cutler would be their likely alternative.
==
04. N.Y. Jets ~ DE Mario Williams, NC State
The Jets are also in play for that #2 Pick and Matt Leinart, or they could stay right here at #4 and draft Jay Cutler. It's impossible to gage how closely they rank these QB's, or how far apart, or even if they rank Cutler ahead of Leinart which is quite possible in my view as well. Having said all that, Mario Williams is the #2 Overall Prospect in this draft on my board, right behind Reggie Bush, and though I have been projecting Cutler in this spot for months the dynamics shifted dramatically on the day New York shipped John Abraham to Atlanta. Now a defensive end is in play as well, and it must be a big defensive end who can anchor the 34 defense, but one who is also quick enough to terrorize QB's off the edge in the 43. As I have stated before on this page, it is a common misnomer to believe Bill Belichick has ever been wedded to an exclusive 34 front, that has never been the case, Belichick deploys a BASE 34 with shifting fronts, and that also includes the 43. It would be foolish to believe his student, Eric Mangini, does not have the exact same vision in mind, and thus I can see Mangini drooling at the idea of anchoring his defense with a 6' 7"/295 Pound stud like Super Mario.
==
05. G.B. Packers ~ TE Vernon Davis, Maryland
At nearly 6' 4"/265 and running in the 4.3's, and also a spectacular player, Duke Davis is arguably the best tight-end prospect to come down the pike since Kellen Winslow Sr.
==
06. S.F. 49ers ~ OLB AJ Hawk, Ohio State
The need is just too overwhelming at linebacker to pass on Hawk in this spot. Arguably the Greatest linebacker in Buckeyes history, and that's saying a ton.
==
07. Oak Raiders ~ QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
This would be a coup for the Raiders at #7, but it can definitely happen if the Jets opt for Mario Williams as projected here, because the Packers and Niners are not selecting a QB. But most of all Al Davis can thank the Saints for this gift if it happens, cause had they not signed Drew Brees I would have been projecting Leinart to N.O. and Cutler to Tennessee, and I absolutely believe Cutler carries TOP 5 Value.
==
08. Buff Bills ~ DT Haloti Ngata, Oregon
So we're right back where we started with the Bills, with the mountain man defensive tackle {6' 4"/340} they always seem to secure in Buffalo. Huff or Young are also two options I would think the Bills will seriously consider, and the darkhore is Brodrick Bunkley who's stock seems to be very high.
==
09. Det Lions ~ DB Michael Huff, Texas
6' 1", 205 Pounds, ferocious tackler, skilled ballhawk, runs like the wind {4.3's}, and can excell at Safety or Corner.
==
10. Ariz Cardinals ~ QB Vince Young, Texas
Denny Green ends Vince Young's suffering as he sees an opportunity to bring this phenominal athlete along slowly behind Kurt Warner. If Young can make a successful transition to more of a pro style pocket passer this pick could be a heist, and he'll likely inherit some insane weapons when he's ready to take the helm cause Boldin and FitzG are both young wide receivers who figure to be in their primes for quite some time barring injuries.
==
11. STL Rams ~ DT Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State
Don't be shocked if Bunkley is the first DT off the board, ahead of Ngata, because he's that good. I still believe Ngata will go higher, as reflected here, because size does matter, but Bunkley is a terrific player who weighs in at 300+ and it's a much closer call than you think.
==
12. Clev Browns ~ DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State
Let me be crystal clear, cause I'm anticipating some of the reactions in advance, Wimbley is NOT a reach in this spot. Grades vary depending upon systems, this is often the most misunderstood aspect of draft grades, these grades are not one size fits all, and Wimbley should carry a rock solid TOP 15 Grade on any teams board that runs a 34 defense. This kid is a terrific football player who can easily be an "IMPACT PLAYER" in the 34, and if that doesn't qualify as Good Value at #12 I don't know what does?
==
13. Balt Ravens ~ OT Winston Justice, USC
Justice can start at right-tackle immediately, as he did at USC, but has all of the necessary skills to be a dominant left-tackle when it comes time to replace the Great Jon Ogden who is not getting any younger.
==
14. Phil Eagles ~ DB Jimmy Williams, VaTech
Similar to Mike Huff in that he's a big DB {6' 3"/215}, runs in the 4.4's, and has the necessary skills to excell at corner, but he's a ferocious hitter who can just as easily play some safety if you wish. Eagles need a big coner and with Dawkins approaching 32 years of age Jimmy Williams seems like a good fit all the way around.
==
15. Den Broncos ~ WR Chad Jackson, Florida
Blazing forty at the combines {4.32} solidified his status as the first wideout off the board, and he's 6' 1"/215, not a smurf. Gives Denver the homerun hitter they lack, but he's more than just a homerun hitter.
==
16. Mia Dolphins ~ CB Tye Hill, Clemson
Lost Surtain and Madison in back-to-back years so it's time to draft a corner high. Ty Hill may be the fastest player in the draft at 4.3 flat and I think Saban would be thrilled if he falls to them here.
==
17. Minn Vikings ~ OLB Ernie Sims, Florida State
Vikings have their choice of some very good running backs, but was the point of signing Chester Taylor so they could be free to address that massive black hole at linebacker in round one? I'm really not sure, but it looks that way too me. Sims is a heat seeking missile who should be able to step right in and start right away, as is often the case with blue chip linebackers.
==
18. Dal Cowboys ~ DE/OLB Manny Lawson, NC State
Kinda scary to think about the damage Demarcus Ware and Manny Lawson can inflict on Quarterbacks as bookend OLB's in the 34 scheme. I'd be mighty tempted to get an up close look if I were the tuna.
==
19. S.D. Chargers ~ OT Marcus McNeill, Auburn
See what eventually happened to Drew Brees when you keep pushing your luck with the Roman Oben's of the world? Chargers management saw it too, and they'll be darn certain to do everything in their power to prevent Phil Rivers from meeting a similar fate. Time to import a massive bodyguard with a big upside, and I'm still looking for the guy who actually recalls seeing the last sack McNeill surrendered.
==
20. K.C. Chiefs ~ DE Tamba Hali, Penn State
Excellent value at a position of need if it happens. Should be able to start at LDE, opposite Jared Allen, as a rookie. Might share time with Hicks early on, but I'm betting he'll start sooner rather than later in year one.
==
21. N.E. Patriots ~ RB Laurence Maroney, Minnesota
The Pats have a few spots they can address, linebacker and defensive back being two primary areas of need, but don't kid yourself about Corey Dillion either, he's about a hundred years old in running back years and starting to break down physically. So if the three Post Reggie Bush RB's {White, Maroney and DJ} all slide to 21, I would find it very difficult, make that darn near impossible, to NOT draft the highest rated of the three on my board. Could be LenDale White, but he hasn't exactly been wowing the scouts this off season. Could be DJ, but I like the bigger guys. So it looks like Maroney might get the nod in this spot.
==
22. Den Broncos ~ S Jason Allen, Tennessee
6' 1"/210, runs in the 4.3's, genuine ballhawk, and he can really lay down the lumber. So what's not to love about this player, especially if you need a safety as badly as Denver?
==
23. T.B. Bucs ~ WR Santonio Holmes, Ohio State
This wide receiver corp is hurtin for certain and in dire need of a young Joey Galloway, someone who can hang with the program for a number of years as the same type of homerun hitter, so they get the young one where the old one came from, Ohio State.
==
24. Cinn Bengals ~ DT Gabe Watson, Michigan
Bengals D-line is in need of a complete overhaul in my view, some cats who will not be pushed around in the trenches, and this 340 Pound Tackle is a nice place to start. Actually Sam Adams was a nice place to start, but no need to backslide now. After getting shoved around like the Bengals D-line in 2005, I would hope they find the idea of Adams and Watson mighty appealing. And besides, Adams is long in the tooth and no longer an every down player, so that should not preclude the cats from drafting another massive defensive tackle anyway.
==
25. N.Y. Giants ~ LB Chad Greenway, Iowa
Giants linebacking core is a farce and Greenway can ball. Falling a bit because of sub-par workouts, but let's not forget this kid is an outstanding football player who was ranked significantly higher than this when it was based soley on size and performance. Reminds me of Tedy Bruschi.
==
26. Chi Bears ~ OT Eric Winston, Miami
Now that the Bears have found a QB, and I really like Grossman a lot, it's time to give him some weapons. But the first order of business is keeping him healthy, which has been a big issue thus far. This kid was once viewed in the same high regard as D'Brickashaw Ferguson prior to injuring his knee, and he started to round into his old form towards the end of his senior season. What I'm saying is, this could be a steal.
==
27. Car Panthers ~ OLB Bobby Carpenter, Ohio State
This can just as eaily be a running back, but I just can't see giving up on Foster this soon. Granted Foster has had serious issues with durability, but he's still a young man, possess excellent size, and he averages 4.3 Yards Per Carry when healthy. Now if Bobby Carpentrer wasn't such a terrific outside linebacker, a position of huge need for the Panthers, I might bite on a running back, but he is an outstanding OLB and that is a massive need for the Panthers.
==
28. Jax Jaguars ~ RB DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
Same deal as the Maroney pick. LenDale White is higher on my board, but he's having such a rough off season that he probably falls below Maroney and DJ. This may be subjust to change as the draft approaches, and it's something I'll keep a close eye on, but for now it looks like LenDale may be the forth RB off the board because his off season has been somewhat disappointing.
==
29. N.Y. Jets ~ RB LenDale White, USC
Disappointing off season or no disppointing off season, I just can see how the Jets let him slide past 29 when Curtis Martin, like Corey Dillion, is a hundred years old in running back years. And like Chad Greenway who has fallen a bit because of poor workouts, it cannot and should not be forgotten that LenDale White was a terrific player on the Gridiron and he's a BIG BACK who is tailor made for the northeast.
==
30. Indy Colts ~ CB Ashton Youboty, Ohio State
Much like his fellow Buckeye alum Chris Gamble, Youboty has a #1 Corner written all over him and could be a heist towards the end of round one, assuming he lasts that long which is no gimmie.
==
31. Sea Seahawks ~ CB Jonathan Joseph, South Carolina
This is the second fastest player in the draft to the best of my knowledge, only a tenth of a second behind Ty Hill at 4.31, and he's 5' 11" which isn't exactly a small fry.
==
32. Pitt Steelers ~ C Nick Mangold, Ohio State
Jeff Hartings will be 34 Years old this year and Mangold is a super blue-chipper. This is a perfect opportunity for the Steelers to secure their future at Center, and in the meantime Mangold or Hastings can play some Guard. Frankly it should be illegal for the defending super bowl champs to snag a player of Mangold's caliber at 32 Overall, thus is the depth of quality in this class.
==

ROUND TWO
==
54. K.C. Chiefs ~ S Daniel Bullocks, Nebraska
==

ROUND THREE
==
85. K.C. Chiefs ~ WR Maurice Stovall, Notre Dame
==

and just for fun ...

ROUND FOUR
===
117. N.Y. Jets ~ NT LeKevin Smith, Nebraska
===

BigChiefFan
04-04-2006, 01:58 PM
That's a pretty good mock draft. I think it takes in to consideration team's needs and a player's value.

htismaqe
04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I like this draft alot.

ct
04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
02. N.O. Saints ~ OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
Other than Bush to Houston the worst kept secret in the draft is N.O. seeking to trade down, but I don't project trades with my mocks. Since it takes two to make a trade, and that hasn't happened as of yet, until it does I have to project a selection for the Saints at #2 Overall and Brick Ferguson just makes the most sense. I'm sorry but I'm not buying any of this mumbo-jumbo about N.O. taking a QB in this spot because Brees contract was designed as such that he can be let go following 2006 with a minimal cap hit, blah blah blah. That's not the reason they signed a fairly young Drew Brees, one and done, and I'm not buying that for one second. So in the unlikely event they cannot find a trade partner I can see the Saints opting to protect Drew Brees with an awesome young duo in RT Jammal Brown and LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson. This duo can be the envy of the league for many years to come. Having said all that, I am certain the Saints will try very hard to secure a deal with Tennessee or the Jets and draft Brick at 3 or 4.

I really think this is absolutely spot on!!

BigChiefFan
04-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Chad Jackson going to the Broncos really chaps me. Jackson looks like the real deal and I'd prefer to see him go anywhere but the AFC West and especially Denver.

ct
04-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Chad Jackson going to the Broncos really chaps me. Jackson looks like the real deal and I'd prefer to see him go anywhere but the AFC West and especially Denver.

This mock has Denver getting Croyle in the 4th too. Just 2 spots after our 4th rounder now owned by the J.E.T.S.

:cuss:

Mr. Laz
04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
i like Hali and stovall is a steal in round 3 imo

don't really know much about Bullock ... even though i saw Nebraska play several times.

melbar
04-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Nice

jspchief
04-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Daniel Bullocks in round 2 would be a reach IMO. His twin brother Josh went in the 2nd round in '05, but he's clearly a better player than Daniel.

Rocky
04-08-2006, 07:38 PM
crappy mock raiders take cutler no way were going defense. huff or hawk is the guy