PDA

View Full Version : Plummer takes time to reflect

Hammock Parties
04-05-2006, 02:12 AM
Plummer takes time to reflect
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer

Jake Plummer was digging in for his 10th NFL season as he hung out Tuesday at a picnic table at Dove Valley shortly after completing his second day of the Broncos' offseason workout program.

"To say I love coming here to lift and run this early in the year would be a lie," Plummer said. "But it starts the season so it's important. Hopefully, nine or 10 months down the road, we'll have that championship and this will all be worth it."

A relaxed Plummer, speaking publicly Tuesday for the first time since right after Denver's 34-17 loss to Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game, addressed topics ranging from his 2005 season, the upcoming season, Terrell Owens, the team's needs and his new mentor.

As Plummer, 31, prepares for the Broncos' AFC West Division title defense, he reflected on a mostly successful 2005 season. Plummer was named to his first Pro Bowl team, answered his coach's challenges and cut down dramatically on mistakes. Plummer, who completed 60.7 percent of his passes - second highest in his career - threw 18 touchdown passes and only seven interceptions in 456 attempts.

"I'm coming off the best season of my career," said Plummer, who has healed from an abdominal injury that kept him out of the Pro Bowl. "I'm confident I'll continue to make improvements that will make me better."

Still, Plummer said he is bothered by his performance in the Jan. 22 loss to Pittsburgh at Invesco Field at Mile High. He threw two interceptions and lost two fumbles in the game.

"If it weren't for the mistakes I made, we probably win that game," Plummer said. "If you ask Al (Wilson), he'd say we lost the game because the defense didn't make enough stops, but that's a team. We all take the blame. But I really do think if I didn't make my mistakes, we would have won."

Eight days after the loss to the eventual Super Bowl champion Steelers, Denver coach Mike Shanahan brought in Owens for a visit. Owens wound up signing with Dallas last month. Plummer said he happily would have accepted Owens, who alienated Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb, the last two quarterbacks he played with.

"I would have welcomed him," Plummer said. "He's a playmaker. I always want to play with playmakers. I really don't think it would have been a problem here. Attitudes don't work here. I'm playing with one of the greatest players to ever play the game in Champ Bailey and he doesn't come in here with an ego, and I wouldn't expect T.O. to have come in here like that, either."

Plummer said he is looking forward to the draft April 29-30, in which the Broncos have the No. 15 and 22 picks in the first round.

"I think we'll probably take a playmaker pretty high in the draft," Plummer said. "I don't care where. As a quarterback you always want weapons."

Plummer said he still believes the Broncos' current crop of offensive players is strong. He said he will be excited to see young receivers David Terrell and Darius Watts - who he said has "sick" talent - take the next steps in their careers.

"I like focusing on who we have here now, and I like what we have," Plummer said.

Plummer said he has had a few meetings with new assistant head coach Mike Heimer- dinger, who replaces Gary Kubiak and will be working closely with Plummer.

Kubiak, the former Broncos offensive coordinator, is now the head coach in Houston. Plummer said he will begin working in earnest with Heimerdinger next week.

Unlike the calm Kubiak, Heimerdinger - known for his development of quarterback Steve McNair in Tennessee - has a reputation for being vocal.

"Gary would get on me, but mostly in games," Plummer said. "In practice, I don't act like a fool so I don't think Coach Heimerdinger is going to have a problem with me."

listopencil
04-05-2006, 02:18 AM
"If it weren't for the mistakes I made, we probably win that game," Plummer said. "If you ask Al (Wilson), he'd say we lost the game because the defense didn't make enough stops, but that's a team. We all take the blame. But I really do think if I didn't make my mistakes, we would have won."

Good of him to man up in an interview, but I don't think we were going to beat Pitt with the team we had on that field that day. They went through us like bad pizza.

big nasty kcnut
04-05-2006, 02:26 AM
reflecting on being the world biggest douch bag jake plummer.

Chief Chief
04-05-2006, 05:02 AM
"...Plummer, who has healed from an abdominal injury..."

That injury must have occurred when the Steelers' defense repeatedly sodomized him.