PDA

View Full Version : Bills owner won't make promises to stay in Buffalo

BigChiefFan
04-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Ralph Wilson Meets with Governor Pataki

Buffalobills.com
04/04/2006 3:21 PM

Orchard Park, NY--Buffalo Bills President and Owner Ralph Wilson, Jr. met Monday with Governor George Pataki in Albany, New York.

The purpose of the meeting was to explain to the Governor the future competitive and financial challenges presented to the NFL's smaller markets. The high cost of the new collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and its players represents a substantial burden to small market teams. The system produces an equal allocation of player costs with an unequal allocation of the revenues that give rise to those costs. This does not ensure a level playing field for small market teams. The Buffalo Bills are the only NFL team which plays its home games in New York State.

Wilson told the Governor that "While I am committed to Western New York, the long term viability of our franchise may be in serious doubt."

Wilson added "I have 46 years of my life invested in this franchise and in Western New York. There are those who don't care about us, our passionate fans or our hard working taxpayers. Well, I do! I am not going to sugar coat this and I am not going down without a fight. The people who have supported us for these 46 years deserve more than that."

Governor Pataki, an avid football fan who attended Super Bowl XL in Wilson's home city of Detroit, was aware of and concerned about the recent developments.

Governor Pataki stated, "The secure future of the Buffalo Bills in Western New York is of vital interest to me and the people of New York State. While the issues raised by Mr. Wilson are not unique to the Buffalo Bills, the future of that franchise is of primary concern to me. I have communicated my concerns to Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and will continue to advocate on behalf of the Buffalo Bills."

OnTheWarpath15
04-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Ralph Wilson Meets with Governor Pataki

Buffalobills.com
04/04/2006 3:21 PM

Orchard Park, NY--Buffalo Bills President and Owner Ralph Wilson, Jr. met Monday with Governor George Pataki in Albany, New York.

The purpose of the meeting was to explain to the Governor the future competitive and financial challenges presented to the NFL's smaller markets. The high cost of the new collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and its players represents a substantial burden to small market teams. The system produces an equal allocation of player costs with an unequal allocation of the revenues that give rise to those costs. This does not ensure a level playing field for small market teams. The Buffalo Bills are the only NFL team which plays its home games in New York State.

Wilson told the Governor that "While I am committed to Western New York, the long term viability of our franchise may be in serious doubt."

Wilson added "I have 46 years of my life invested in this franchise and in Western New York. There are those who don't care about us, our passionate fans or our hard working taxpayers. Well, I do! I am not going to sugar coat this and I am not going down without a fight. The people who have supported us for these 46 years deserve more than that."

Governor Pataki, an avid football fan who attended Super Bowl XL in Wilson's home city of Detroit, was aware of and concerned about the recent developments.

Governor Pataki stated, "The secure future of the Buffalo Bills in Western New York is of vital interest to me and the people of New York State. While the issues raised by Mr. Wilson are not unique to the Buffalo Bills, the future of that franchise is of primary concern to me. I have communicated my concerns to Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and will continue to advocate on behalf of the Buffalo Bills."

Interesting, coming from a guy who doesn't understand the CBA, and was incomprehensible during the press conference announcing Marv Levy as GM.

BigChiefFan
04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
This article(below) makes the situation sound alot more critical. Arrowhead passes the revamp and other owners start pleading their cases, too. It's a domino effect.

Bills owner Wilson questions NFL's new-guard ownersAssociated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Bills owner Ralph Wilson is questioning whether the NFL's high-revenue owners have the best interest of the league at heart, stepping up concerns that small-market franchises like his face an uncertain future under the new labor agreement.

"I just don't think they're as interested in the game as the old owners, I really don't," Wilson said Friday.

Singling out Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, Daniel Snyder of the Washington Redskins and Robert Kraft of the New England Patriots, Wilson said: "They, to me, and this is just my opinion, don't have the same values about the league as the old guard did."

The Bills' sole owner since founding the team in 1960, Wilson also suggested the league's wealthier owners played too big a role when the league extended its collective bargaining agreement last month. The Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals cast the only votes against the agreement.

Wilson spoke after meeting with Erie County executive Joel Giambra, who implored Bills fans "to get active, to get angry" and write to Tagliabue, the league and elected officials on the team's behalf.

He first raised his concerns earlier this week in a meeting with New York Gov. George Pataki. Wilson told Pataki that he's committed to keep the Bills in Buffalo, but, "the long-term viability of our franchise may be in serious doubt."

The series of meetings were an attempt by Wilson to explain his concerns and generate political pressure on the NFL to ensure the viability of small-market teams.

Wilson, long one of the NFL's most outspoken owners, believes the new labor deal establishes an unequal playing field between large- and small-market teams because it produces an equal allocation of player costs with an unequal allocation of revenues.

While reiterating he has no intention to move or sell the team, Wilson said he's not sure how long the Bills can survive under the new deal.

"How long can it stay here? I don't know," Wilson said. "But I can tell you we're going to fight very, very hard to keep the team here to try to be competitive with the rest of the league."

Under the new deal, Wilson said it wouldn't make much difference whether the Bills built a new stadium because the team would unlikely be able to generate much more revenue in an economically troubled region such as western New York.

Wilson's concerns have been noted by the league, which is still determining how the newly expanded portion of revenue sharing will work.

"That has not been fleshed out yet," Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian told The Associated Press while visiting Buffalo this week. "The future is uncharted at this point, but having said that, we've always found a way to make it work and hopefully we will in the future."

Polian is a former Bills executive and member of the NFL's competition committee.

Bills cornerback Troy Vincent, president of the NFL Players Association, shares Wilson's concerns, but noted it's up to the owners to make revenue-sharing work.

"There has to be something in place," Vincent said. "But what we may think is enough or not enough, likewise the men and women running those organizations may say it's enough or not enough. ... Where's that happy balance?"

Any question of the Bills future sparks significant concerns in Buffalo and western New York, a rust-belt region with a fragile economy. Losing the Bills would be a major blow to the region's economy and psyche.

"The Bills are a very integral part of this community's fabric, socially, emotionally and economically," Giambra said.

Giambra added he was rooting for Roger Goodell, the NFL's chief operating officer and a western New York native, to succeed commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

"He is a person who understands football and he understands the importance of football to small markets like Buffalo and western New York," Giambra said.

In 1999, the Buffalo Niagara Partnership estimated the team's annual net economic impact to the region at $33 million.

Chiefshrink
04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Hell would you?? I wouldn't. Buffalo is a HOLE!!

Frankie
04-07-2006, 04:28 PM
L.A. Bills? ROFL

BigChiefFan
04-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm just damn glad that it's not the Chiefs.

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Hello Toronto.

Skip Towne
04-07-2006, 04:40 PM
I remember when the first sportswriter asked OJ what he thought about being drafted by Buffalo. OJ didn't even answer, just turned and walked away.

Hydrae
04-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Although I understand some of his concerns, I think some of the old guard is out of touch with todays economic world. You can't just throw a couple grand at someone and have them dance with joy. It takes many, many millions of dollars nowadays. If the local economy is not able to support the team (which seems like a lot of the argument here) then maybe the area shouldn't have the team. :shrug:

FloridaMan88
04-07-2006, 06:43 PM
L.A. Bills? ROFL

The LA Bills playing in the AFC East. That would be a geographical nightmare

cdcox
04-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Kudos to the voters of Jackson County for locking the Chiefs into Arrowhead for the next 25 years. Now we don't have to sweat the Chiefs leaving.

big nasty kcnut
04-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Some where cntrygrl is getting pissed.

StcChief
04-07-2006, 06:58 PM
I remember when the first sportswriter asked OJ what he thought about being drafted by Buffalo. OJ didn't even answer, just turned and walked away. Buffalo built his Killer instinct.

Frankie
04-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Some where cntrygrl is getting pissed.
Nah... She's a closet Chiefs fan.

Mecca
04-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Although I understand some of his concerns, I think some of the old guard is out of touch with todays economic world. You can't just throw a couple grand at someone and have them dance with joy. It takes many, many millions of dollars nowadays. If the local economy is not able to support the team (which seems like a lot of the argument here) then maybe the area shouldn't have the team. :shrug:

It's easy to say that when you live halfaway across the country. Buffalo is an original 8 team and one of the traditional teams of the NFL. I'm sure everyone here knows the Chiefs would be in this exact same situation had the renovation tax failed.

In the end I assume the Bills will get what they want simply because they are the only in state team NY has left. I doubt they'd want to see them leave too and not have any in state teams.

Bowser
04-07-2006, 09:14 PM
This is interesting. Petro had a guy on his show last week (before the vote) that was talking about the possiblity of a team moving to LA. Of course, Petro was throwing the Chiefs out there, as well as the Saints, Vikings, and Chargers. This guy at the end gives his potential dark horse team for an LA move - the Buffalo Bills. Petro kind of scoffed at the notion, then the guy tells him he had been working within the organization for the last X number of years. It would appear that everything has been set in motion for a Bills move, unless Pataki can come up with a solution.

I think it would be a crime to take the Bills away from Buffalo. An original AFL member going cross country to LA? Nonsense.

Hydrae
04-07-2006, 09:27 PM
It's easy to say that when you live halfaway across the country. Buffalo is an original 8 team and one of the traditional teams of the NFL. I'm sure everyone here knows the Chiefs would be in this exact same situation had the renovation tax failed.

In the end I assume the Bills will get what they want simply because they are the only in state team NY has left. I doubt they'd want to see them leave too and not have any in state teams.

Tradition and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee (Man, this saying used be a dime for coffee, talk about losing tradition!).

While I would love to see the Bills stay where they have been for 46 years, this is a business. If the owner can not make a profit or be able to keep up with their competition they must make changes. I used to enjoy shopping at Montgomery Wards and Woolworth's but they don't exist any more. This is sad but a fact of life in our capitalistic world. This is also a part of the reality of todays world that I think the old guard owners have trouble with. They are still used to $.25 a gallon gas. That is not the reality their teams operate in any more. Do I think it sucks and wish things were easier? Of course. But I am realistic enough to realize this is about economics, not tradition.

StcChief
04-07-2006, 09:32 PM
That would be bad if they ended up in Toronto...
are they even looking for NFL team, do Canucks care much about American Football????

Hydrae
04-07-2006, 09:36 PM
That would be bad if they ended up in Toronto...
are they even looking for NFL team, do Canucks care much about American Football????

Given the exchange rate they would probably run into some of the same problems baseball and hockey have had. Noone wants to play up there because although they earn the "same amount" it is really what, 20% less?

Mecca
04-07-2006, 09:54 PM
"And as Wilson explained, new ownership would not necessarily change the Bills fortunes. Under one proposal in the new NFL collective bargaining agreement, new owners would not be able to share in the league’s robust pot of shared revenue; money that currently sustains the Bills franchise."

If that's true that means when Lamar Hunt dies the Chiefs will be shit out of luck when it comes to revenue sharing money.

It's easy for fans of other teams to make light of it when it's not their team but this shit sucks especially considering the poison pill, no revenue sharing to new owners. It basically ensures anyone who sells their team wont be able to stay in small markets and they'll end up in large markets and in future cba meetings revenue sharing will cease to exist.

The new guard are simply afraid of uncaped years thats all it is. Just wait a few years when the cap keeps expanding and smaller market teams are less viable because it's gonna happen.

chefsos
04-07-2006, 10:02 PM
The LA Bills playing in the AFC East. That would be a geographical nightmare
That would certainly force a realignment, as they would have to be in the AFC West. I'm sure I'm not the only one to see the resulting shift affecting the Chiefs. Who else would logically move out of the AFCW?

Mecca
04-07-2006, 10:05 PM
They may end up just giving L.A. an expansion team, there are other markets that want teams too if they want to keep the even number of teams.

Ralph Wilsons whole thing isn't about right this minute the Bills are turning similiar profits to the Chiefs at the moment. He wants to keep them viable in that market after he's gone.

BigRedChief
04-08-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm just damn glad that it's not the Chiefs.

Not for another 25 years! :toast:

StcChief
04-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Not for another 25 years! :toast:
What he said.

They are locked up, just follow thru on the construction and make
Arrowhead nice and modern...

It will continue to be the best place for football in the America.

FloridaMan88
04-08-2006, 11:29 AM
That would certainly force a realignment, as they would have to be in the AFC West. I'm sure I'm not the only one to see the resulting shift affecting the Chiefs. Who else would logically move out of the AFCW?

Yeah pretty much any existing AFC franchise moving to LA would affect the Chiefs because the Chiefs are the most logical team from a geographical perspective to move out of the AFC West.

If the Bills end up moving to LA I could see a situation where they move to the AFC West, the Colts are moved back to the AFC East (the NFL would love to have a Patriots-Colts match-up twice a year), and the Chiefs move to the AFC South.

ILChief
04-08-2006, 12:28 PM

my guess would be the LA Bills to the AFCW
Chiefs to the AFCN?
Ravens to AFCE
Dolphins to AFCS

that would make the most geographical sense

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Jags get shipped to the AFC East, Chiefs to the AFC South.

ILChief
04-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Jags get shipped to the AFC East, Chiefs to the AFC South.

that's two people that have said Chiefs to the South??? Am i missing something?

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2006, 12:44 PM

What cities are closer to KC? Nashville, Indianapolis or Cleveland, Pittsburgh?

Titans, Colts, Texans would be a good fit for the Chiefs.

Brock
04-08-2006, 12:44 PM

Your math is all ****ed up.

Brock
04-08-2006, 12:45 PM

No. Just a few people with overactive imaginations.

Thig Lyfe
04-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I'd like to think the NFL would try to keep its most storied AFC division intact.

Maybe they'd pull another Seattle? Buffalo to the NFC West, Arizona to the NFC south, and Tampa Bay to the AFC East.

Or something.

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2006, 01:21 PM
I'd like to think the NFL would try to keep its most storied AFC division intact.

Maybe they'd pull another Seattle? Buffalo to the NFC West, Arizona to the NFC south, and Tampa Bay to the AFC East.

Or something.

Switch the ole Rams out of the NFC West. Saints to the AFC South?

chefsos
04-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Your math is all ****ed up.
No way. I live in duPont chemical country, and counted up all the teams on my 32 fingers and toes.

blueballs
04-08-2006, 01:53 PM
he won't move the team to LA
the old goat could not survive
the covered wagon trip

FloridaMan88
04-08-2006, 01:56 PM
he won't move the team to LA
the old goat could not survive
the covered wagon trip

Ralph Wilson probably won't be the one to move them, but the next owner very well could.

Thig Lyfe
04-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Switch the ole Rams out of the NFC West. Saints to the AFC South?

That's a lot better than mine.

Something like

Bills to NFC West
Rams to NFC South to make room for Bills
Saints to AFC East to replace Bills