PDA

View Full Version : AM 610 Trent Green on now

BigChiefFan
04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
AM 610 Trent Green on now. Just a head's up.

John_Locke
04-07-2006, 04:40 PM
can you post a play by play?

BigChiefFan
04-07-2006, 04:45 PM
can you post a play by play?
I'll do my best.

So far they asked Green about the differences between Vermeil and Edwards. Green: Vermeil believed in players and veterans in particular. He said the vets appreciated that. He said that Edwards believes in the same philosophy, but he expected players to be accountable for all of their actions. On the field. Off the field. In the weight room, ect... He said players needed to set an example and be held accountable for their play on the field.
(that's not exact by you get the idea)

Is LJ ready for the responsibility of being the starter? Green:Definitely. This is what he wanted, this is a high profile job. Lots of people expect alot. New head coach named him named him starter from day one. He's handled it well. Will continue to grow more and get more comfortable, but he's definitely ready. He asked for this-he wanted it and when he got in the games, he made the most of it.

About the future of Roaf and Shields:They have given ever indication they'll be back next year and beyond that. I'm working on next year, then next year, and they year after that. I'm ready to go and I think they'll be ready as well.

John_Locke
04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
that is great to hear.

thank you

shaneo69
04-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Q&A with TRENT GREEN
Apr 07, 2006, 3:19:14 PM

Q: With a new head coach and new offensive coordinator, what do you see are some the biggest changes for this team as you head into the new year?

TRENT GREEN: “There’s quite a few. I think there’s going to be a feeling-out period with Coach Edwards, not only him feeling out the players but players trying to figure out what his routine is going to be.

“We had our first meeting a couple of days ago and I thought it was very productive. I think it answered a lot of questions. Fortunately for me I’ve been able to meet with Coach Edwards a couple of times, so as guys were coming into the weight room and asking questions I was able to answer some of those questions. Most of the time I told them just be patient. We had this team meeting coming up (this past) Wednesday and you’ll get a lot of your questions answered. Principally, those were what his expectations were, the approach to the off-season in terms of OTAs and mini-camps and schedule through July. What his perspective on things was, what his goals were, what he wanted to get done at this point and time. Now that the schedule’s out, then you can start focusing on some other things. But at the time, it was to get over what he wanted to get done over the next couple of months getting ready for the season.”

Q: Do you have a sense that the offense is going to change?

GREEN: “No, the offense won’t change. I’ve met several times with Mike Solari, met several times with Coach Edwards and they don’t want to change the offense. The entire coaching staff offensively is back except for Al Saunders and we brought in a new tight end coach also. But, for the most part, that corps offense has been together and that corps group of players is still intact. So the offense isn’t going to change.”

Q: What do you think about the schedule? No Monday night games for you.

GREEN: “You know, I thought we might get a Monday night game, but we’ve got a couple of other nationally televised games. I tend to think every game is a nationally televised game with how the big the league has gotten with the NFL Ticket and all these things that are going on. It’s become such a huge business and huge sport with Fantasy Football and everything. Really, every game is a national game.

“I like the schedule in terms of starting out the season at home. Our final two pre-season games are home games and our first game is a home game, so I like that stretch. Guys get in and can get adjusted to living in Kansas City. Cincinnati we played at the end of the season and they didn’t play all their people. They’re the defending division champ, and next it’s Denver the defending division champ on the road. So, two tough games right out. But being able to finish at home at the end of the season is a real positive.”

Q: The bye comes quickly though.

GREEN: “Very quick. You know, you generally think you want the bye to give you a break in the middle (of the season), to get reenergized for the final stretch. Sometimes it’s good. But you just have to see how things play out in the pre-season and training camp. But if all of a sudden like a few years ago where all our receivers were hurt in the pre-season and training camp and didn’t get much timing, that would be good to have it then. Hopefully, we don’t get many injuries and don’t have to deal with that. But sometimes that can be a good thing depending on how things are unfurling early in the year.”

Q: Have you talked to Priest? Do you get the sense he’s coming back?

GREEN: “I’ve talked to him very little. He’s still up in the air. It all comes down to the medical part of it. Until he feels comfortable with the diagnosis and the testing and doctors say he’s going to be fine and say you don’t have to be worried about any further risk, then he’s going to hold out on his decision. And it seems because he respects his contract and he gave some leeway to the organization that the organization is going to be patient as well.”

Q: You signed Lenny Walls this week and you’ve played against him before. Any kind of scouting report on him?

GREEN: “I think Lenny will be a good addition in terms of what we’re going to do defensively. I think there’s been quite a bit of attention focused on the defensive side of the ball and obviously Gunther’s coming back. But Coach Edwards is a defensive coach and brought a lot of new defensive faces in. They’ve talked a lot about Cover 2 and we’ve played Cover 2 in the past. Lenny played a lot of Cover 2 in Denver. If you have a corner who’s 6'4" playing Cover 2 it makes it hard for the quarterback to hit it in the hole. That part of it he’s going to be good at.

“If that’s the direction we’re going in – in terms of more of the Cover 2 defense – then it fits perfectly.”

Q: Do you feel this team needed more discipline on or off the field?

GREEN: “I don’t necessarily think we need more discipline. The difference in Coach Vermeil is that he wanted to believe the best in people and give people extra opportunities and say, ‘you know what, you made a mistake, let’s get that fixed.’ It was great for veteran players. I know every veteran player on the team appreciated that. He treated you like a man. This is your job, you’re a professional and he expected you to do it.

“Now Coach Edwards made that very clear the other day that that’s the same thing he’s going to do: you’re a professional, this is your job, you show up on time and when you get here you’re going to work hard. We’re not going to keep you here long hours but we’re going to work hard. He may control it a little more with a iron fist whereas with Coach Vermeil if you messed up he might encourage you and try to help you make better decisions. Coach Edwards may have a different approach and he made that very clear in the meeting.”

Q: So everybody is on his page and understands? Is everybody breathing a sigh of relief?

GREEN: “I hope so. I don’t know if it’s a sigh of relief cause it definitely puts the pressure on and what his expectation level is and what he wants done and wants accomplished and what everybody’s approach to the off-season should be. This is a job and a lot of guys don’t quite get that. The veteran guys tend to get it because they wouldn’t have lasted this long if they didn’t. He just wants people to realize that just because the season is not going on right now this is the time of year you build your endurance, you build your strength so that when the season gets in full swing you’re able to endure the hits, play injured – all those things. He wants that mindset be put in place right now.”

Q: Does he have an open door? Do guys feel he’s approachable?

GREEN: “He made that very clear. If players have questions and concerns come in. You don’t need to schedule a meeting. Just knock on the door. He made it very clear he has an open door policy. I’ve gone up and talked to him on a couple of occasions, number one, to introduce myself that first week. When I came in he dropped everything and said let’s get together and talk. That’s happened on a couple of occasions. I just wanted to see where he stood and ask his opinion on how we should handle certain things when the players asked me questions. Do you want me to answer all these questions because we have talked or do you want to wait until the (team) meeting is what I asked. He’s been very open to me and to everybody else.”

Q: Are you going to do the TV draft show again this year?

GREEN: “I am. I’m going to do the ESPN draft coverage again. To what extent, I don’t know. I know Sean Salisbury is going to be the host this year instead of Andrea Kramer. Then the players that will be involved are William Henderson, Tory Holt and myself. Whether it’ll be last year where we sat on a couch talking about league issues hasn’t been cleared up.

Q: How close are you following the search for a back-up quarterback?

GREEN: “Not a whole lot. Not a whole lot. I understand that’s going to happen inevitably. I like Damon (Huard) and think he’s a quality quarterback and can fill that role fine. I’ve gotten to know Casey (Printers) over the last couple of weeks. I don’t really know him as well or don’t know his football background all that well. But you don’t want to come and grind someone that first day and give him an interview. You just take your time and get to know him. I shared some of my experiences in Canada and try to learn. You just try and learn and I know he’s been out on the field working and trying to get some of that down. But I don’t know if he’s been working directly with a coach. I know he’s been doing some meetings with Terry (Shea) to try and understand the offense better. Damon and I are in a little bit different situation. Damon’s been in the offense for more than two years and I’ve been in it for a long time.”

Q: You’ve had some rotten luck with injuries early in your career. But since you’ve been here it’s been pretty good. What do you attribute that to?

GREEN: “Offensive line. I think the ability of our offense to mix it up – having a good mix of run and pass – not being predictable in terms of defenses knowing what we’re going to do. When I’ve taken a lot of hits it’s been in situations where we’re behind and the defense knows we’re throwing. When able to mix it up the fact that the further I get away from those surgeries of ‘99 and 2000 the better I’ve been. I struggled with some injuries my first couple of years here, but as I got more strength, range of motion, more flexibility I’ve been able to endure a lot more the last couple of years.”

Q: Have you had an injury here in a game that you thought might keep you out?

GREEN: “Oh yeah. The Raider one a couple of years ago. I had a cracked rib in the back and didn’t practice all week and ended up practicing on Friday. I think it was two years ago. In 2002 against San Diego I tore a ligament in my ankle and was able to play with that the rest of the year. Without giving you my whole medical record, there have been a few. You rehab it and deal with it.”

Q: Are you satisfied with your receivers. Do you think the team needs to get another receiver?

GREEN: “A lot of it depends on how the young guys respond. I think Samie Parker has done very well when he’s stayed healthy. He hasn’t been able to stay healthy for a full season, so what type of production can we get from him for a full season is unknown. We’re still trying to find out how much a role Dante Hall is going to take on being a third down or first or second down receiver.

“I think Eddie (Kennison) continues to get better with age. He’s played great the last two years and he hopes and I hope that trend continues. We are putting a lot of expectations on Craphonso (Thorpe). We obviously let Chris Horn and Marc Boerigter get away. Jeris McIntyre has been on our practice squad for a couple of years now and we’re expecting a lot from him. You don’t know until guys get thrown in there. Obviously when Samie’s been thrown in there he’s responded very well. It’s just a matter of him staying healthy. If Jeris or Craphonso are the guys you need to know if they are going to be able to deal with that pressure. They all have the talent to do it.”

Q: What is it about that position that makes it tough for guys to come in and contribute right away? You’d think it would be a little easier at that position.

GREEN: “I’m going to disagree a little bit on that because when Eddie came in he didn’t know the offense at all at mid-season. What we were able to do with him was we put some packages together – a smaller set of packages – so that he didn’t have to understand the whole playbook. He was able to run those certain plays and he had success that first half-season here. The guys we’re talking about filling in a spot are guys who have been here.

“Craphonso has been here, on the practice squad, so he should understand it by now. Jeris has been on there. The two young guys that I’m speaking of, if they don’t know it by now, that’s on them. The fact that they were here for a year on the practice squad, watching practice every day, watching the guys, watching the games, studying the game film, studying the playbook. So, from a mental part there’s really no excuse at this point in time.”

Q: Leadership in the locker room. Do you see Eddie Kennison stepping up?

GREEN: “I think over the last two years that’s really changed. Not only with his play improving or the choices he’s made in his life in terms of his family and his faith. He’s made a lot of great strides. I didn’t know Eddie in his prior years with St. Louis, but Coach Vermeil did and having conversations with him about Eddie and the growth that he’s made, he’s really stepped into that role. He’s really a mentor to a lot of young guys and Eddie is the first to admit he made some bad decisions early in his career. He’s able to relate to a lot of young guys that are maybe in similar situations. When you have somebody that young guys can relate to…and Eddie’s very open in sharing that, if not to (media). It helps a lot and guys knowing they have someone they can lean on.”

Q: What about Larry Johnson? He relied so much on Tony Richardson as a mentor. If Priest doesn’t come back who’s going to help him deal with some of the on and off the field pressures?

GREEN: “I think Larry’s handled that very well. When you look at what happened to him last year, the way he finished those last eight weeks, the way he handled himself at the Pro Bowl. That was the part I was most impressed with. A lot of you didn’t get to see that. I told my wife as we were heading over to Hawaii that I was interested to see how Larry handles the Pro Bowl because you get into that setting and there are a lot of egos, a lot of guys who have a chip on their shoulder, a lot of guys that strut around that they’re the man, the MVP of this or that or an eighth pro bowler. I just sort of like to sit back and watch. It’s different.

“Larry was there with guys who had been there many times. I thought he handled himself tremendously. He was very quiet. He sat back; he kind of watched and listened and understood his role. He was the third (back) there and as much as he wanted to play he wasn’t like saying, ‘give me the ball more.’ The way he carried himself all week showed the growth that he’s had. His involvement in the community since he’s been back and what he’s trying to get done here in Kansas City and establish himself as a community guy. There are a lot of people and groups he wants to help – mainly kids. I think that is all very positive.

“I still don’t know how comfortable he is in this type of setting of talking to (you media). But I think that will all come. Some guys never get comfortable with it but I think he’s grown a lot since he’s been here. I think he’ll miss having Tony around. He could be a good listener. I don’t know where he’ll find that but there’s enough veteran guys around and I’m here. I’ve been up and down every roller coater ride this league has offered, so I have some experiences. But I don’t want to shove it down guys’ throats. If they want to talk I’m open to handle those things.”

Q: Is he ready to be a leader on this team?

GREEN: “Oh yeah, definitely. He doesn’t have much of a choice.”

Q: Is that too much pressure to be put on him?

GREEN: “This is what he wanted; this is what he asked for. It all comes with it. This is a high profile job, lots of people watch, lots of people follow it. He asked to be the starter, he’s got his opportunity and when he got it he played well enough in half a season to earn a Pro Bowl. The new coach came in and named him the starter right off the bat whether Priest is back or not. This is what he wanted and I think he’s handled it very well to this point and will continue to grow into that role and get more comfortable with.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/04/07/qa_with_trent_greenota1/

Hammock Parties
04-07-2006, 05:47 PM
A torn ligament in his foot. What a ****ing warrior Trent is.

Bowser
04-07-2006, 06:14 PM
A torn ligament in his foot. What a ****ing warrior Trent is.

Name one, ONE player in the NFL who is more underappreciated than Trent Green. I can't think of any.

I've been through the archives and read the threads where people were pissed about Grbac leaving, and us giving up a first for Green. How little did we know.

You need to put a Trent Green highlight video together.

Bowser
04-07-2006, 06:17 PM

Pretty please. With a Mexican hooker on top.

Hammock Parties
04-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Name one, ONE player in the NFL who is more underappreciated than Trent Green. I can't think of any.

Jake Plummer.

It's my next project. I'm thinking Vivaldi.

shaneo69
04-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Jake Plummer.

You're on drugs.

I'd say T-Rich was more underappreciated than Trent. I don't think there's any such thing as an underrated QB.

FloridaMan88
04-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Does anyone think Trent Green could get into coaching after he retires? He has a great command of this very successful and complex offense, he's been called a "coach on the field" by a lot of people and he seems to have a knack for effectively communicating with different players.

I'd love to see Trent become a part of the offensive coaching staff in KC when he finally decides to retire

shaneo69
04-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Does anyone think Trent Green could get into coaching after he retires? He has a great command of this very successful and complex offense, he's been called a "coach on the field" by a lot of people and he seems to have a knack for effectively communicating with different players.

I'd love to see Trent become a part of the offensive coaching staff in KC when he finally decides to retire

Sure, but I don't think any starting QB these days will go into coaching, because they've made so much money that they don't need to work for the rest of their lives, much less work 15 hour days as coaches do.

If anything, I think his appearance again this year on the draft coverage shows what he's leaning towards when his career is over.

Archie Bunker
04-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Q&A with TRENT GREEN

Q: Do you have a sense that the offense is going to change?

GREEN: “No, the offense won’t change. I’ve met several times with Mike Solari, met several times with Coach Edwards and they don’t want to change the offense. The entire coaching staff offensively is back except for Al Saunders and we brought in a new tight end coach also. But, for the most part, that corps offense has been together and that corps group of players is still intact. So the offense isn’t going to change.”

Q: You signed Lenny Walls this week and you’ve played against him before. Any kind of scouting report on him?

GREEN: “I think Lenny will be a good addition in terms of what we’re going to do defensively. I think there’s been quite a bit of attention focused on the defensive side of the ball and obviously Gunther’s coming back. But Coach Edwards is a defensive coach and brought a lot of new defensive faces in. They’ve talked a lot about Cover 2 and we’ve played Cover 2 in the past. Lenny played a lot of Cover 2 in Denver. If you have a corner who’s 6'4" playing Cover 2 it makes it hard for the quarterback to hit it in the hole. That part of it he’s going to be good at.

“If that’s the direction we’re going in – in terms of more of the Cover 2 defense – then it fits perfectly.”

My favorite parts of the Q&A. IMO if Trent says the offense isn't changing it isnt changing. Its also nice to hear a QBs point of view on the Walls signing.

sedated
04-07-2006, 11:01 PM
they've made so much money that they don't need to work for the rest of their lives

smart as hell

tough as nails

he'll go into coaching cause he loves the game more than you love yur c0cknballz

BigMeatballDave
04-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Jake Plummer.
Are you ****ing stoned?

Halfcan
04-08-2006, 10:34 PM

Yep, I hope he stays with KC as a coach.

milkman
04-08-2006, 11:09 PM
smart as hell

tough as nails

he'll go into coaching cause he loves the game more than you love yur c0cknballz

I agree with Shaneo.

He gets to stay close to the game, and doesn't have to sacrifice his wife and family like coaches have to.

J Diddy
04-08-2006, 11:49 PM
You're on drugs.

I'd say T-Rich was more underappreciated than Trent. I don't think there's any such thing as an underrated QB.

Um,hmm..

how about all them pricks with the "TrInt"

CoMoChief
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM

I've been through the archives and read the threads where people were pissed about Grbac leaving, and us giving up a first for Green. How little did we know.

Before he won co-MVP of the league, I would have to say that Steve McNair was the NFL's most underrated player.

Dave Lane
04-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Jake Plummer.

It's my next project. I'm thinking Vivaldi.

Maybe Carmina Burana?

Dave

MahiMike
04-11-2006, 06:50 AM

I totally agree. That play last year when he threw the pick and then tackled the dude was awesome! Only about 3 QBs in the league make that play and you know they're all way younger than him. Trent is my favorite player. I hope he plays till he's 40!

Hammock Parties
04-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Maybe Carmina Burana?

Dave

You're nuts.

TEX
04-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Our current set of WR's scare me almost as much as our CB's do. The ONLY one that's reliable is Kennison. On defense, the ONLY CB that's reliable is Surtain.

They talk about the "cover 2" like it's some big deal but offenses have beem scheming against it for years and most every time the Chiefs play it, they forget about the "cover" part. The reason is that it seems like we only have one legit CB all the time, and this year is no different.

We'll just have to see how set we are at WR and CB after all is said and done. If no improvements are made, I'm afraid this will be just another go-round of "this year's plan will be next year's priority" as deficiencies in years past have been just as glaring at this same juncture, just as they are at this point of this offseason. History has a way of repeating itself if ONE let's it despite coaching changes... :hmmm:

donkhater
04-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Before he won co-MVP of the league, I would have to say that Steve McNair was the NFL's most underrated player.
That's funny because I've always thought McNair to be one of the NFL's most OVERrated players. Still do.