PDA

View Full Version : No Fun League Strikes Again

Hammock Parties
04-09-2006, 08:01 AM
No Fun League Strikes Again

On Friday, the NFL Network reported that the NFL’s competition committee is proposing several new rules governing player celebrations.

According to the proposal, players won’t be allowed to go to the ground in celebration, nor will they be allowed to use the ball as a prop. They might as well call this “The Chad Johnson Rule.”

But guess what? Like your favorite team’s cornerback, it’s not going to stop 85.

Instead, he’s going back to the drawing board.

“When you have me thinking double time that means I got to get more creative,” said Johnson. “I’ve got some of the best material for this year, within the rules that have just been made. No disrespect to those that made those rules.”

What exactly is the NFL’s problem? They’ve had multiple crackdowns of this sort in the past. Did it solve the “problem?” Not even close.

The NFL is about entertainment. Chad Johnson provides entertainment. The NFL’s own TV channel was glued to his antics every week last season. At times last year, “NFL Total Access” more closely resembled “The Chad Johnson and T.O. Comedy Hour.”

Now they’re trying to cramp his style. Isn’t that a bit hypocritical after all the camera time they give him?

It’s not all about Chad, either. The league paints Terrell Owens as the NFL’s Super-Villain.

And yet, that same league scheduled the Cowboys for six games on national television this year. Four of those games are in primetime.

Clearly, the NFL loves promoting Terrell Owens. He’s good for the league.

So is Chad Johnson. The Bengals are on national TV four times this year.

Chad and T.O. weren’t the only wide receivers weighing in on the celebration issue on Friday. The Saints' Joe Horn wasn’t thrilled with the news, either.

“If you do the Lambeau Leap and someone hurts a kid in the stands, or someone hits a player that jumps into the stands, it’s a double standard,” said Horn. “Why should you have the Lambeau Leap if you can’t have props in the end zone? They should just cut it all out.”

Don’t worry, Joe. I’m sure the NFL doesn’t want to do that. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have T.O. on national television so often.

This whole thing just sends mixed messages. It’s not consistent. On Friday, the NFL Network showed the competition committee discussing the proposed crackdowns.

They were watching Chad Johnson’s celebrations from last season. Instead of contemplating these shocking transgressions in grim silence, they were laughing.

They were being entertained!

Thankfully, the competition committee took some time out of their busy schedule to discuss changing the “down by contact” rule.

As Johnson himself said, “there are more important things in the NFL to worry about than the celebrations we do.”

“Come August, in the preseason, it starts. It’s gonna be beautiful.”

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 08:15 AM
As Johnson himself said, “there are more important things in the NFL to worry about than the celebrations we do.”
I'm sure Marvin Lewis will agree with you, Ray. Especially when you give your opponents great field position with every celebration you do.

TRY THAT SHIT AT ARROWHEAD, BITCH! SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 08:23 AM
There are a few new rules changes regarding the Bengals that we also need to be aware of before opening day.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/MysteryD8/palmerarticle.jpg

Bowser
04-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Jean-Claude Van Damme? Pffft. Four sacks, minimum.

gblowfish
04-09-2006, 09:06 AM
There are a few new rules changes regarding the Bengals that we also need to be aware of before opening day.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/MysteryD8/palmerarticle.jpg
Authored by a Steelers fan, no doubt. I love rivalries.

Buster's Dad
04-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Just hand the ball to the ref, jeez I am suprised that no one pulled a Fred''the hammer'' on him, I dont' want to offend anyone but I WISH SOMEONE WOULD LEVEL HIS SHOWBOATING ASS!! :cuss: :cuss:

KC_John
04-09-2006, 09:38 AM
On a serious note...every single person involved with making this no celebration rule should be fired and kicked out of the NFL, they have MANY other issues they should be dealing with...instead they pick on something fans love or love to hate. Myself I find it entertaining...only rule i agree with is if maybe it doesnt stop when the ref's say enough, maybe a penalty then. Let the players enjoy the game and celebrate when they do something good. They should be excited when they work all week and make it happen. I dont want a boring game. Hell im even looking forward to Chad's antics in the endzone when he comes to Arrowhead...( 1 will be enough!!! ).

Just my 2 cents worth on the matter.

Bob Dole
04-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Bob Dole is more concerned with the decision to no longer allow local media the access to shoot game video.

stevieray
04-09-2006, 09:43 AM
no longer allow local media the access to shoot game video.

really? why?

Bob Dole
04-09-2006, 09:45 AM
really? why?

Why did they make the decision, or why does the decision cause concern?

|Zach|
04-09-2006, 09:45 AM
really? why?
It has something to do with using unique highlights before they should of? Or something in that realm I was reading the other day.

Hammock Parties
04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Other proposals:

The committee also will suggest:

— Down by contact calls be subject to instant replay review, a proposal that was voted down last year. Currently, a play is dead once the whistle blows and the ballcarrier is ruled down by the officials. McKay said that last season there were 18 to 20 plays when the ball came out of a player’s grasp before he was ruled down.

The proposed change would allow any turnover to stand if replay showed the ball came loose before the whistle. No subsequent runbacks with the ball would count, however.

— Modifying illegal procedure to allow receivers to flinch if they get back into position before the play and the defense doesn’t react to the move.

— Toughening enforcement on pass rushers who hit quarterbacks below the knees, as long as the defensive players could have avoided making the hit. One play that didn’t prompt such a point of emphasis, McKay said, was in last year’s playoffs on Cincinnati’s Carson Palmer by Kimo von Oelhoffen, then with Pittsburgh, that severely injured Palmer’s knee. McKay said it was clear von Oelhoffen didn’t make any intentional move to hit Palmer, but simply rolled into the quarterback.

— Just like quarterbacks, one defensive player might be allowed direct communication with the coaches next season. The committee will recommend that a defense has the same option as an offense in that area. As of now, quarterbacks get instructions through a small speaker in the helmet until there are 15 seconds remaining on the play clock.

stevieray
04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Why did they make the decision, or why does the decision cause concern?

decision... I'm in the concerned camp.

Bob Dole
04-09-2006, 09:49 AM
decision... I'm in the concerned camp.

The league's official stance is that they are simply protecting their intellectual property rights.

stevieray
04-09-2006, 09:54 AM
The league's official stance is that they are simply protecting their intellectual property rights.

I wonder how many years till all NFL games are pay peview. Killing MNF was the first hurdle.

Bob Dole
04-09-2006, 10:00 AM
I wonder how many years till all NFL games are pay peview. Killing MNF was the first hurdle.

"You will see what we want you to see."

Fish
04-09-2006, 10:43 AM

Yeah... these NFL Network only games are starting to scare me. What stops them from owning every game? I really don't know a thing about the NFL Network or if there are restrictions in place for how many games they can have. But I could see them eventually owning all the games somehow. Someone please tell me this could never happen........

Adept Havelock
04-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Grow up, hand the ball to the ref, and act like you've been there before. :rolleyes:

NFL network only games and flex-scheduling are worrisome trends, IMO.

Hammock Parties
04-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Isn't TV money the NFL's lifeblood? They can't cut out CBS and FOX completely.

Skip Towne
04-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Isn't TV money the NFL's lifeblood? They can't cut out CBS and FOX completely.
I hope CBS and Fox is all they screw. They usually manage to get the fans as well.

Chiefnj
04-09-2006, 10:59 AM
The league needs to remember that people watch football for entertainment. Touchdown celebrations are a form of entertainment and are entertaining to watch. Every week when you watch sportscenter and you see a highlight of CJ catching a TD pass, the first thing that jumps into your mind is "what celebration did he do?". The league needs to worry about horrible officiating more than anything else, and now with new rules on celebrating, you add another subjective penalty into the mix.

cdcox
04-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Yeah... these NFL Network only games are starting to scare me. What stops them from owning every game? I really don't know a thing about the NFL Network or if there are restrictions in place for how many games they can have. But I could see them eventually owning all the games somehow. Someone please tell me this could never happen........

The NFL already owns all the games. Their contract with the networks dictates how many and what games each network gets. As the contracts expire, they are free to renegotiate them any way they like. They are going to broadcast them in the manner that they can maximize the popularity and profits of the game. If it became too far out of balance, the owners know that there is a danger of intervention by congress.

QuikSsurfer
04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Jean-Claude Van Damme? Pffft. Four sacks, minimum.
:rolleyes:
have u seen the guys jump spin-kick?? it's pretty much one of his standard moves, along with the splits :shake:

Skip Towne
04-09-2006, 11:23 AM
The NFL already owns all the games. Their contract with the networks dictates how many and what games each network gets. As the contracts expire, they are free to renegotiate them any way they like. They are going to broadcast them in the manner that they can maximize the popularity and profits of the game. If it became too far out of balance, the owners know that there is a danger of intervention by congress.
Yep, MLB has an anti trust exemption from congress but the NFL does not.

jspchief
04-09-2006, 11:44 AM
The league needs to remember that people watch football for entertainment. Touchdown celebrations are a form of entertainment and are entertaining to watch. Every week when you watch sportscenter and you see a highlight of CJ catching a TD pass, the first thing that jumps into your mind is "what celebration did he do?". The league needs to worry about horrible officiating more than anything else, and now with new rules on celebrating, you add another subjective penalty into the mix.Speak for yourself.

I watch the NFL for the entertainment of seeing football played at it's highest level. It's about watching the sport. The rest of that shit is WWF, and I'm glad the league is trying to keep these attention whores from watering down the game.

I don't need end zone celebrations.
I don't need pre-game or halftime concerts
I don't need animated graphics or video game simulations
I don't need Dennis Miller or Tony Kornheiser

I tune in to a game to watch football. All this additional shit is like taking a top rated drama and adding a bunch of comedians to the cast to bring in a bigger audience.

mikey23545
04-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Speak for yourself.

I watch the NFL for the entertainment of seeing football played at it's highest level. It's about watching the sport. The rest of that shit is WWF, and I'm glad the league is trying to keep these attention whores from watering down the game.

I tune in to a game to watch football. All this additional shit is like taking a top rated drama and adding a bunch of comedians to the cast to bring in a bigger audience.

Absolutely what he said.

How these "celebrations" appeal to anyone over the age of 8 is beyond me....

morphius
04-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Speak for yourself.

But at the same time, it is a game of emotion? How fun is it to watch a business like offense? How about a D that plays with no heart? But hey, I guess you dont expect a little extra out of your team when they face a rival, because it is just another game.

I have seen my team take the, "Go to Work" approach, and I didn't see it working out all that great. If I have to sit through a couple dumb celebrations to see some players out there giving it everything, then so what? It beats the hell out of the alternitive.

jspchief
04-09-2006, 12:21 PM
But at the same time, it is a game of emotion? How fun is it to watch a business like offense? How about a D that plays with no heart? But hey, I guess you dont expect a little extra out of your team when they face a rival, because it is just another game.

I have seen my team take the, "Go to Work" approach, and I didn't see it working out all that great. If I have to sit through a couple dumb celebrations to see some players out there giving it everything, then so what? It beats the hell out of the alternitive.Huh? Are you claiming that a team has to do a dance to be able to play with emotion? Teams and players have been playing with fire for decades, and the very large majority of them did not need non football antics to accomplish it.

There's a pretty wide gap between robot and full blown attention whore. This crap has escalated exponentially in the last few years. I'm glad the NFL has put a lid on it before it got out of control. I don't mind an Icky Shuffle or Dirty Bird, but it's beginning to go too far.

morphius
04-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Huh? Are you claiming that a team has to do a dance to be able to play with emotion? Teams and players have been playing with fire for decades, and the very large majority of them did not need non football antics to accomplish it.

There's a pretty wide gap between robot and full blown attention whore. This crap has escalated exponentially in the last few years. I'm glad the NFL has put a lid on it before it got out of control. I don't mind an Icky Shuffle or Dirty Bird, but it's beginning to go too far.
What I'm saying is that if I have to suffer through a couple idiots, its not that big of a deal. Hell, I post here don't I? So, we have a few guys who go overboard a little bit, I can live with that if it means they are leaving everything the have on the field. Sure it is annoying when ESPN starts out there show with, "What is Chad Johnson going to do this week?", as their lead.

And the line between robot and showboating isn't as far as you think. Hell, just look at the last game of a season when one team has something to play for and the other only has the possibility of an upset, see for example the Chiefs SD game where the backups slaughtered our starters...

Hammock Parties
04-09-2006, 12:39 PM
What TO did in Dallas was over the top.

What Chad did last year was unique and fresh, and not disrespectful. Most of the time it was really entertaining.

jspchief
04-09-2006, 12:40 PM
What I'm saying is that if I have to suffer through a couple idiots, its not that big of a deal. Hell, I post here don't I? So, we have a few guys who go overboard a little bit, I can live with that if it means they are leaving everything the have on the field. Sure it is annoying when ESPN starts out there show with, "What is Chad Johnson going to do this week?", as their lead.

And the line between robot and showboating isn't as far as you think. Hell, just look at the last game of a season when one team has something to play for and the other only has the possibility of an upset, see for example the Chiefs SD game where the backups slaughtered our starters...Sure, I can live with it too. I'm just glad I no longer need to.

There is nothing about what draws me to NFL football that will suffer from this new rule. Sure, at some point there may be some stupid flags thrown, but in the long run they'll be less annoying than the pro wrestling circus that some of these players are trying to make the NFL.

Hammock Parties
04-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Sure, I can live with it too. I'm just glad I no longer need to.

There is nothing about what draws me to NFL football that will suffer from this new rule. Sure, at some point there may be some stupid flags thrown, but in the long run they'll be less annoying than the pro wrestling circus that some of these players are trying to make the NFL.

That's just it. The new rules aren't going to do shit. Chad's not stopping.

Adept Havelock
04-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Speak for yourself.

:clap:
I couldn't agree more.

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 12:43 PM
How fun is it to watch a business like offense?.
That, my friend, is a work of art. A team that masterfully picks apart the defense like a buzzard on a dead body, without celebrations. That is a Masterpiece!

I don't need celebrations. I need a team that does it's job. Period.

If I took the same approach to my job as these celebrations clowns do, I would be fired.

"Here you go Nurse Goodbody. Here's your bag of D5W. I had to dodge past Lab personnel and the guy from RT. I then cut back against the grain, avoiding the others nurses on the floor. I was triumphant. Here is your IV bag!" *spikes it on the ground at her feet and does the worm on the floor*

Pleeeeeeeeease ...

Coach
04-09-2006, 12:44 PM
"Here you go Nurse Goodbody. Here's your bag of D5W. I had to dodge past Lab personnel and the guy from RT. I then cut back against the grain, avoiding the others nurses on the floor. I was triumphant. Here is your IV bag!" *spikes it on the ground at her feet and does the worm on the floor*

Pleeeeeeeeease ...

ROFL

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 12:45 PM
That's just it. The new rules aren't going to do shit. Chad's not stopping.
That is, until Marvin Lewis sticks a foot in his ass and D gets tired of giving up a short field because of his antics.

jspchief
That's just it. The new rules aren't going to do shit. Chad's not stopping.Chad already said he's stopping. He said he won't do anything that will draw a flag.

I don't care if he celebrates a big play. I'm just glad the NFL is going to try and keep it within reason and the guidelines of sportsmanship.

Hammock Parties
If I took the same approach to my job as these celebrations clowns do, I would be fired.

You're not an entertainer.

jspchief
04-09-2006, 12:47 PM
You're not an entertainer.That's like saying I should suffer through a comedy act when I go to the orchestra.

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 12:49 PM
You're not an entertainer.
News Flash!

http://img.web.de/c/00/59/00/72.420
Professional Entertainer.

http://www.athlonsports.com/store/images/cjohnsonben8x10.gif
Professional athlete, NOT a professional entertainer.

morphius
04-09-2006, 12:59 PM
That, my friend, is a work of art. A team that masterfully picks apart the defense like a buzzard on a dead body, without celebrations. That is a Masterpiece!

I don't need celebrations. I need a team that does it's job. Period.

Pleeeeeeeeease ...
Marty's old O's were business like as well, I suppose you miss those? How about the business like D's of Greg Robinson? There is nothing saying you can't be well coached and still give have a little fun.

Sure some of the guys go over board, but how many people have we seen play for that big FA contract only to get it and fall apart because they lost heart?

I guess to me, if I know if the guys are having some fun out there they will have more invested into it and will try that much harder.

morphius
tired and probably not making much sense, oh well.

morphius
04-09-2006, 01:01 PM
That's like saying I should suffer through a comedy act when I go to the orchestra.
Of course I remember someone on the field showing everyone that the next play was going to be a safety, probably should have flagged DT for that...

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Marty's old O's were business like as well, I suppose you miss those?
Please tell me you are not seriously thinking Marty's O was more business like than our current offense? How many player on this team do a TD celebration anything close to Chad Johnson's?
How about the business like D's of Greg Robinson?
Getting your ass handed to you weekly in NOT business like. Are you smoking dope or something?

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Of course I remember someone on the field showing everyone that the next play was going to be a safety, probably should have flagged DT for that...
ROFL

Wow, you're a little bitter today, Alice. :p

jspchief
04-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Of course I remember someone on the field showing everyone that the next play was going to be a safety, probably should have flagged DT for that...And I've already said at least once in his thread that I don't have a problem with celebrations, but I think there should be limits.

When the NFL banned group celebrations a decade ago, how much did the league suffer for it?

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 01:05 PM
When the NFL banned group celebrations a decade ago, how much did the league suffer for it?
NADA! ZIP! ZILCH!

Coach
04-09-2006, 01:06 PM
And I've already said at least once in his thread that I don't have a problem with celebrations, but I think there should be limits.

Man, I'm glad that that St. Loser "bob and weave" (I think that it was) and the Falcon's "dirty bird" are gone. Those were rather annoying.

jspchief
04-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Man, I'm glad that that St. Loser "bob and weave" (I think that it was) and the Falcon's "dirty bird" are gone. Those were rather annoying.They're all annoying when the other team is doing it, as far as I'm concerned.

Hammock Parties
04-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Group celebrations were awesome. **** the league. The Fun Bunch stuff was totally tits.

morphius
04-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Please tell me you are not seriously thinking Marty's O was more business like than our current offense? How many player on this team do a TD celebration anything close to Chad Johnson's?

Yeah, your right, I don't see guys running out there lifting LJ up in the air. I never saw TRich swinging his arms in the air wildly after a greatly designed sweep to the left that led to a Priest TD.

Getting your ass handed to you weekly in NOT business like. Are you smoking dope or something?

Did you ever see any excitement on that D? There was a reason those players were begging for Gun to come back, they missed the heart that Gun put into it.

Just remember, we are drawing a pretty tight line, and putting it in the hands of some refs that throw a flag on the corner when the WR pushes him off. But hey, lets give them the power to throw a 15 yard flag because someone didn't stand up fast enough to do his celebration on a great diving TD catch.

jspchief
04-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Group celebrations were awesome. **** the league. The Fun Bunch stuff was totally tits.I'd take the return of group celebrations in a heart beat in exchange for these acts from guys like CJ and TO. At least they had some semblance of teamwork.

However, my point was that the NFL hasn't exactly become less entertaining or popular since the ban of them.

jspchief
04-09-2006, 01:14 PM
But hey, lets give them the power to throw a 15 yard flag because someone didn't stand up fast enough to do his celebration on a great diving TD catch.No wonder you like the celebrations so much. You're the queen of your high school drama club.

I think your example is a little hyperbolic, and completely ignores the intent of the rule.

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, your right, I don't see guys running out there lifting LJ up in the air. I never saw TRich swinging his arms in the air wildly after a greatly designed sweep to the left that led to a Priest TD.
OK, now you're just being a smart ass. Pay attention here.

How many of our current players do a TD celebration that even remotely resembles what Chad Johnson does?

The answer is none.
Did you ever see any excitement on that D? There was a reason those players were begging for Gun to come back, they missed the heart that Gun put into it.
You just killed your own argument. Heart and celebrations are 2 totally seperate entities.

morphius
04-09-2006, 01:18 PM
No wonder you like the celebrations so much. You're the queen of your high school drama club.

I think your example is a little hyperbolic, and completely ignores the intent of the rule.
You are right, the refs have never screwed us with some misunderstanding of a goofy rule.

Demonpenz
04-09-2006, 01:22 PM
randy moss wiping his ass on the goalposts

morphius
04-09-2006, 01:22 PM
OK, now you're just being a smart ass. Pay attention here.

How many of our current players do a TD celebration that even remotely resembles what Chad Johnson does?

The answer is none.

You just killed your own argument. Heart and celebrations are 2 totally seperate entities.

This doesn't just effect Chad Johnson like celebrations, and they already fine him for those. But I guess punishing them team is a better solution. I'm a bit suprised they didn't ban LJ's celebration at the same time.

You don't celebrate without some heart, they are not completely seperate.

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
This doesn't just effect Chad Johnson like celebrations, and they already fine him for those. But I guess punishing them team is a better solution. I'm a bit suprised they didn't ban LJ's celebration at the same time.
Morphius, I like you man but you are holding some sort of personal grudge here or something.

You cannot, in all seriousness, tell me that this
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5708/lj0zv.jpg
is in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, comparable to,
http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/cpr.jpg
Performing CPR on a football,

http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/proposal.jpg
Proposing to a freaking cheerleader,

http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/putting.jpg
Pulling a "Tiger Woods" with the pylon,

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/03/05/20051224195209990001
or passing out autographed footballs and t-shirts.

:shake:
You don't celebrate without some heart, they are not completely seperate.
You can have a big heart and NOT celebrate.

Coach
04-09-2006, 01:38 PM

Ex. Barry Sanders.

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Ex. Barry Sanders.
Marcus Allen

Adept Havelock
04-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Marcus Allen

Jerry Rice.

morphius
04-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Morphius, I like you man but you are holding some sort of personal grudge here or something.

You cannot, in all seriousness, tell me that this
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5708/lj0zv.jpg
is in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, comparable to,
http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/cpr.jpg
Performing CPR on a football,

http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/proposal.jpg
Proposing to a freaking cheerleader,

http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/putting.jpg
Pulling a "Tiger Woods" with the pylon,

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/03/05/20051224195209990001
or passing out autographed footballs and t-shirts.

:shake:

I brought up the LJ thing because it is basically an advertisement for a clothing line, which is just as dangerous as someone doing a Johnny Carson putt in the end zone, IMO.

Digital Takawira
04-09-2006, 01:45 PM
here's the best rule change the the nfl could propose: that defenses stop acting like ****ing women, crying about someone celebrating, and....... STOP HIM FROM SCORING!

http://www.highertrustmarketing.com/blog/archives/lightbulb-idea.jpg

simple as that. he doesn't score, he doesn't celebrate. you think guys like lanier, bell, buchanan, huff, lambert, singletary, or nitschke would have bitched and moaned about celebrations? they would have folded his ass in half like a damn lawn chair.

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 01:47 PM
I brought up the LJ thing because it is basically an advertisement for a clothing line, which is just as dangerous as someone doing a Johnny Carson putt in the end zone, IMO.
LJ's "celebration" takes about 2 seconds. Pulling a "Tiger Woods" requires the player to walk over to the pylon, with the ball, set the ball down, pull up the pylon and then put the ball.

Not EVEN a close comparison.

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 01:49 PM
here's the best rule change the the nfl could propose: that defenses stop acting like ****ing women, crying about someone celebrating, and....... STOP HIM FROM SCORING!

simple as that. he doesn't score, he doesn't celebrate.
This is the Chiefs defense we're talking about here.
you think guys like lanier, bell, buchanan, huff, lambert, singletary, or nitschke would have bitched and moaned about celebrations? they would have folded his ass in half like a damn lawn chair.
In this day and age of a "kinder, gentler NFL," folding someone up like a lawn chair not only draws a 15 yard flag, it also gets your ass ejected from the game.

Coach
04-09-2006, 01:49 PM
And you don't have to worry about one of our players thinking about attempting to propose to a Chief cheerleader. Who wants to be near that? :shake:

Skip Towne
04-09-2006, 01:50 PM

simple as that. he doesn't score, he doesn't celebrate. you think guys like lanier, bell, buchanan, huff, lambert, singletary, or nitschke would have bitched and moaned about celebrations? they would have folded his ass in half like a damn lawn chair.
Lambert would have snarled then drooled on them.

morphius
04-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I just don't like more rules being added and changed all the time, it just leads to even more distractions as the refs have to now huddle after every single play to see if they should or should not throw the flag. If the NFL really doesn't like it, make it a part of the TV contract that they will not show them on TV and then fine the players. You want to see it die a quick death, there you go.

I'm with a lot of people in that I really don't care for a lot of the TO/Chad antics, some are cool/funny, some are really lame. But nit picking rules like having to stand up to celebrate is pushing into the area of letting the refs decide when they want to and when they don't want to.

morphius
04-09-2006, 01:57 PM
LJ's "celebration" takes about 2 seconds. Pulling a "Tiger Woods" requires the player to walk over to the pylon, with the ball, set the ball down, pull up the pylon and then put the ball.

Not EVEN a close comparison.
So you'll be okay when people start "selling" their quick celebrations to companys?

LJ's celebration doesn't bother me, really, but at the same time, if I start to see nike, reebok, or budweiser ad's in the endzone it will all be traced back to LJ doing the diamond for a clothing line...

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 02:01 PM
So you'll be okay when people start "selling" their quick celebrations to companys?
Yep. So long as it's short and doesnt include any of the following:
(1) Crotch grabbing
(2) The actual product
(3) Flipping me off
LJ's celebration doesn't bother me, really, but at the same time, if I start to see nike, reebok, or budweiser ad's in the endzone it will all be traced back to LJ doing the diamond for a clothing line...
That's quite a stretch. Does your arm hurt?

morphius
04-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Yep. So long as it's short and doesnt include any of the following:
(1) Crotch grabbing
(2) The actual product
(3) Flipping me off

That's quite a stretch. Does your arm hurt?
You really think that is a stretch? It's not like I'm the first person to bring that up, they have even talked about it during the games a bit.

The money involved during the game, you know someone is trying to think of a way to get it done.

4th and Long
04-09-2006, 02:11 PM
You really think that is a stretch? It's not like I'm the first person to bring that up, they have even talked about it during the games a bit.

The money involved during the game, you know someone is trying to think of a way to get it done.
For the sake of argument, let's say there are adds on the wall in the end zone (and yes, it's all LJ's fault damnit). Coke, Doritos, Car manufacturers, Pepsi, Massegil ... OK, not Massengil.

In what way does it effect the outcome of the game?

morphius
04-09-2006, 02:18 PM
For the sake of argument, let's say there are adds on the wall in the end zone (and yes, it's all LJ's fault damnit). Coke, Doritos, Car manufacturers, Pepsi, Massegil ... OK, not Massengil.

In what way does it effect the outcome of the game?
Banners on the walls is the same as a player doing an advertisement when they score?

Adept Havelock
04-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Banners on the walls is the same as a player doing an advertisement when they score?

Is it any different than Nascar drivers being walking billboards (not that they qualify as athletes, IMO)?

Of course, it wouldn't bother me in the least if the players only acted like they'd scored before and handed the ball to the ref.

I watch for the play, not the circus.

Phobia
04-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Nice article. I really enjoy this author.

DJJasonp
04-10-2006, 08:47 PM
You know....

I dont have a problem with TO, Chad Johson, Priest's move, LJ's signal, etc. etc.....

As the NFL continues to do it's best job of taking the individual out of the game (such as players taking off their helmets, headbands, untucked jerseys, markings on their helmets or cleats)....I dont have a problem with a player trying to be an individual (and therefore, sell a few more jerseys....get a few more endorsements).

I think the NFL has done a great job of protecting their "product", but they also have to realize every TO or Chad Johnson, or Larry Johnson jersey sold, puts a little more coin into the NFL's and NFLPA's pocketbooks.

Hammock Parties
04-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Nice article. I really enjoy this author.

Me too.