PDA

View Full Version : Turgeon says he's staying at WSU

HemiEd
04-11-2006, 06:10 AM
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/colleges/wichita_state_university/14313757.htm

Turgeon says he's staying at WSU
BY PAUL SUELLENTROP
The Wichita Eagle

Larry Smith/Correspondent
Mark Turgeon tells the crowd at Wichita State on Monday that he's not leaving the school.Wichita State basketball coach Mark Turgeon erased any uncertainty about his future quickly and allowed Monday's season celebration at Koch Arena to move on without reservation.

"I just want to get this out of the way and get a cloud off of us," Turgeon told a crowd of around 3,000. "I'm staying."

Turgeon's name had been linked with the opening at Oklahoma, although he refused to comment on that position and his involvement in the search. He did talk about making a tough decision to remain at WSU, one he said he made Sunday night.

Monday, he took the microphone at Koch Arena to a loud ovation, told a joke and then got to the question hanging over Shocker fans since Kelvin Sampson left Oklahoma for Indiana on March 29.

Fans responded to his declaration with an ovation lasting 51 seconds.

"Now that that's over -- it's been a long two weeks -- it's about these guys right here," Turgeon said, nodding toward his players sitting in front of the stage.

After the awards ceremony, Turgeon said he planned to sign a 10-year extension, through 2016, later Monday night. He declined to reveal his salary. WSU athletic director Jim Schaus was at the ceremony early, then left and was not available for comment. President Don Beggs said he did not know the specifics of Turgeon's new contract.

"In my heart, this is where I'm supposed to be," Turgeon said. "I told the players, I never pursue a job. I never have. I never will. I was just trying to do what was best for our staff and our basketball program."

Turgeon said the security of the 10-year deal for him and his assistants was important. He had been operating on a five-year deal. He received an extension a year ago through the 2009-10 season, which increased his compensation to $460,000 annually.

Turgeon, 41, used the past season's success to his advantage. WSU won its first Missouri Valley Conference title since 1983 this season and qualified for its first NCAA Tournament since 1988. The Shockers won two NCAA Tournament games and advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1981.

"I was in a power position, obviously, so I drove a hard bargain," said Turgeon, who is 111-76 in six seasons. "I wanted to make sure that Jim knew what I was looking for. Over time, through each contract, I've talked about 'This is what I'd like to have someday.' I think he got as close to that as he could."

Turgeon told his players of his decision at dinner in the Champions Club before Monday's autograph session and awards. Junior guard Karon Bradley said he wasn't surprised by the news.

"We all knew he was (staying)," Bradley said. "Obviously I know that he was offered that deal, but he thought about all the things he was leaving behind."

Bradley said he has seen and talked to Turgeon over the past two weeks and felt confident he would return.

"He didn't look too stressed about it, so we just kind of fed off him," Bradley said. "I talked with him a little bit. I knew."

Skip Towne
04-11-2006, 06:17 AM
:ZZZ:

HemiEd
04-11-2006, 06:23 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm

Rank School (first-place votes) Record Points Final regular-season rank
1. Florida (31) 33-6 775 10
2. UCLA 32-7 739 8
3. LSU 27-9 666 18
4. Connecticut 30-4 658 2
5. Villanova 28-5 620 4
6. Memphis 33-4 607 3
7. Duke 32-4 585 1
8. George Mason 27-8 564 NR
9. Texas 30-7 542 9
10. Gonzaga 29-4 503 5
11. Boston College 28-8 463 7
Washington 26-7 403 17
13. Ohio State 26-6 354 6
14. North Carolina 23-8 312 12
15. West Virginia 22-11 300 23
16. Georgetown 23-10 296 24
17. Illinois 26-7 261 14
18. Pittsburgh 25-8 247 16
19. George Washington 27-3 221 11
20. Tennessee 22-8 198 19
21. Wichita State 26-9 169 NR
22. Kansas 25-8 155 13
23. Iowa 25-9 109 15
24. Bradley 22-11 106 NR
25. Bucknell 27-5 51 NR

pr_capone
04-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm glad that he is staying at WSU. Not only is he a good coach, with the possibility of being a great one, but the team would fall apart without him.

The respect that his players have for him is incredible. I have had to opportunity to sit and chat with some of the players from this years team and they had nothing but GREAT things to say about Turgeon.

HemiEd
04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
:ZZZ:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137404&page=1

"My games of interest for Thursday: Wichita State - Seton Hall 11:20"

DaneMcCloud
04-12-2006, 08:15 PM
He'll be at WSU for two more years. Then it's on to KU...

Skip Towne
04-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm glad to see is staying at WSU. That way he'll be handy should KU decide to pick up the phone. WSU is a stepping stone job, not a destination.

pr_capone
04-12-2006, 08:19 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137404&page=1

"My games of interest for Thursday: Wichita State - Seton Hall 11:20"
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Its only good a good thread when Skippy starts it.

Skip Towne
04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Its only good a good thread when Skippy starts it.
You're just like flies at a picnic. You eat shit and bother people.

HemiEd
04-12-2006, 08:25 PM
He'll be at WSU for two more years. Then it's on to KU...
So you are resigned to the fact that Self will be gone?

I'm glad to see is staying at WSU. That way he'll be handy should KU decide to pick up the phone. WSU is a stepping stone job, not a destination.

Dreaming again, his base salary is much higher than first round loser Self. It is even as high as the coach for the vaunted K-State Football program.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/colleges/wichita_state_university/14322189.htm

Turgeon's pay rises to $750,000
BY PAUL SUELLENTROP
The Wichita Eagle

File photo
WSU coach Mark TurgeonWichita State athletic director Jim Schaus said basketball coach Mark Turgeon earned a $290,000 raise and a 10-year contract by returning the Shockers to national prominence.

"We're very pleased with it," Schaus said. "It's a sizable increase, that's for sure. I think it's indicative of our willingness to make a long-term commitment."

Turgeon signed a contract Tuesday morning which will pay him a base salary of $750,000 through 2016, according to Schaus and reported first on The Eagle's Web site Tuesday. Turgeon, 41, led WSU to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1981.

With that high-profile success came speculation that bigger name schools might hire Turgeon away from WSU. He ended two weeks of nervous times for Shocker fans Monday night when he told them he was staying at the school, although it's not clear to what extent he may have been involved in other job openings. Turgeon declined to comment on job searches, but did talk about making a tough decision to remain at WSU.

"Without speculating about other things out there... I think it makes a very positive statement about Mark Turgeon, his values, his character and about our program and where we are today that Mark decided to stay and be a part of our future," Schaus said.

Turgeon said the length of the contract was an important element for him, his assistant coaches and his family.

"I've made it clear over the years that, as our program kept getting better, that if (Schaus) could ever put me in a position like that, I would love it," Turgeon said. "I think it was a commitment by the university and all the people involved with putting it together that we want to show you how much we appreciate what you've done and give you a little bit of security.

"There's a lot of scrutiny on coaches these days, and it's year-round. Any time you can get security through a contract, it's nice."

Schaus said the 63 percent raise makes Turgeon one of the highest-paid coaches in the Missouri Valley Conference. It's hard to say if Turgeon becomes the Valley's highest-paid coach. The Omaha World-Herald has reported that Creighton coach Dana Altman makes a base salary between $700,000 and $800,000. As a private school, Creighton is not obligated to release details of Altman's contract.

"It's in the upper echelon; that's where you want to be," Schaus said.

Schaus said the raise and length of the deal is in line with the market for successful coaches across the country. Assistant coaches Mike Rohn (now at $80,000), Pooh Williamson ($90,000) and Tad Boyle ($100,000) each received $10,000 raises, and Schaus said the athletic department continues to try to find ways to boost the basketball budget for items such as travel.

"Those are things we want to do for him," Schaus said. "As Mark's program has grown, we have continued to make a strong commitment to Mark and his program."

While fans may have been nervous, Schaus said talks with Turgeon went well.

"Our discussions were very reasonable, never strained," Schaus said. "We wanted to give him the space he needed to do what he needed to do. I think he earned it."

Turgeon's base salary does not include money Turgeon can make from basketball camps, speaking engagements, incentives and radio/television packages. Schaus would not talk about other aspects of the contract, including a possible buyout clause that would enable Turgeon to leave WSU before the end of the contract.

Schaus would not specify where the additional salary would come from, though booster money is usually a common way of funding raises.

"That's something we'll have to come up with," Schaus said.

Annual salaries of the state's highest-paid Division I coaches

Bill Self, KU basketball x-$1 million
Bob Huggins, K-State basketball y-$800,000
Mark Turgeon, WSU basketball $750,000
Ron Prince, K-State football $750,000
Mark Mangino, KU football z-$600,000
Gene Stephenson, WSU baseball $150,000

x-Self makes a base salary of $142,641, but normal incentives raise the package to a little more than $1 million

y-contract not yet signed, figure according to sources

z-Mangino makes a base salary of $135,849, but normal incentives raise the package to about $600,000

HemiEd
04-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm glad that he is staying at WSU. Not only is he a good coach, with the possibility of being a great one, but the team would fall apart without him.

The respect that his players have for him is incredible. I have had to opportunity to sit and chat with some of the players from this years team and they had nothing but GREAT things to say about Turgeon.

Sounds like a great experience for you. I am curious who they are going to recruit to replace Miller. They only have one scholarship, it sounds like they are highly focused on using it.

pr_capone
04-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a great experience for you. I am curious who they are going to recruit to replace Miller. They only have one scholarship, it sounds like they are highly focused on using it.

Honestly I dont know who they are looking at to draft. As for the experience... it happened only because my ex-roomate attends class with some of the players. :D

Good times though. :D

Saulbadguy
04-12-2006, 08:48 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/royontherim/story/104579

Coach
04-12-2006, 08:50 PM
ROFL

HemiEd
04-12-2006, 08:55 PM

ROFL

ROFL ROFL

ChiefaRoo
04-12-2006, 08:57 PM

Skip, you can go self pleasure yourself in an anatomically impossible way.

Fuggin Okie

Skip Towne
04-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Exactly right, Saul. He is dedicated to WSU and that is why he was sniffing around down here for the OU job. He'll leave there at the first sign of a major college job.

HemiEd
04-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Exactly right, Saul. He is dedicated to WSU and that is why he was sniffing around down here for the OU job. He'll leave there at the first sign of a major college job.

You mean like Roy Williams did? I think that was the point.

Skip Towne
04-12-2006, 10:18 PM
You mean like Roy Williams did? I think that was the point.
Luckily we only have to endure your type once every ten years or so. WSU sucks monkey balls 90% of the time and that will never change. And I'm happy to see you are so impressed with the midget's base salary. You just told on yourself with that weak comparison. Bill Self earns far more money than the midget.

John_Locke
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
how much does he make from those stupid fast food commercials

was visiting family and saw a couple

what is that food place spunkles?

HemiEd
04-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Luckily we only have to endure your type once every ten years or so. WSU sucks monkey balls 90% of the time and that will never change. And I'm happy to see you are so impressed with the midget's base salary. You just told on yourself with that weak comparison. Bill Self earns far more money than the midget.

OH Yeah? It has only happened to WSU twice, Ralph Miller and Eddie Fogler.
How is your current coach doing? Master Recruiter, First Round Loser.
How long do you think he will remain the KU Coach losing to Bucknells and Bradleys?

Oh by the way, you keep referring to the big four as: Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and Kansas. You might want catch up and check out Connecticut. Roy Williams put Kansas in the Elite, he is gone.

pr_capone
04-13-2006, 12:38 AM
How long do you think he will remain the KU Coach losing to Bucknells and Bradleys?

Oh by the way, you keep referring to the big four as: Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and Kansas. You might want catch up and check out Connecticut. Roy Williams put Kansas in the Elite, he is gone.

You are fighting a loosing war here Hemi. Skip is "Established" here. His opinion counts for more than yours or mine. :rolleyes:

HemiEd
04-13-2006, 06:05 AM
how much does he make from those stupid fast food commercials

was visiting family and saw a couple

what is that food place spunkles?

I do not get to see the commercials up here. But in an effort to connect the dots, are you talking about Turgeon doing commercials for Spangles?
That is a premium local Hamburger Chain owned by the Joe Stevens family I believe. The Joes Car Wash bunch I think.

Skip Towne
04-13-2006, 06:19 AM

Maybe you had better catch up. KU had two NC's before anyone knew who Roy Williams was. KU has been a top program for more than 50 years, not a flash in the pan like WSU.

HemiEd
04-13-2006, 06:26 AM
Maybe you had better catch up. KU had two NC's before anyone knew who Roy Williams was. KU has been a top program for more than 50 years, not a flash in the pan like WSU.

Two huh, in how many years of being a top four program?
Oh, how did it go from '55 to '87? It was not a top tier program during those years no matter how much you romance it. Jack Hartman owned Ted Owens in my opinion.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2006, 06:39 AM
I don't know about Turg though. He and his family love Wichita, and he demanded a 10 year contract.

Why would KU want him, though? I thought KU only got their coaches from big schools, and not itty bitty MVC schools?

DJay23
04-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Two huh, in how many years of being a top four program?
Oh, how did it go from '55 to '87? It was not a top tier program during those years no matter how much you romance it. Jack Hartman owned Ted Owens in my opinion.
3 Final Fours in that span. I know, only 3.

HemiEd
04-13-2006, 11:53 AM
3 Final Fours in that span. I know, only 3.

I know, they are truly one of the all time great College BB programs. I have been a fan for many years of KU. I just like pointing out the inaccuracies of Skips claims.