PDA

View Full Version : Zero U to hire Virginia Commonwealth coach?

Skip Towne
04-11-2006, 06:26 AM
I just heard on Tulsa TV that OU is about to hire Jeff Capel (who?) of VCU as head basketball coach. I know, :ZZZ:

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 06:31 AM
He's a good coach. Nice hire.

nmt1
04-11-2006, 06:42 AM
I just heard on Tulsa TV that OU is about to hire Jeff Capel (who?) of VCU as head basketball coach. I know, :ZZZ:

VCU is my alma mater and Capel is a good coach.

Saulbadguy
04-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Meh.

ROYC75
04-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Played ball in the ACC, I think, can't remember which team.

Skip Towne
04-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Played ball in the ACC, I think, can't remember which team.
Duke

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 06:58 AM
By the way, to prevent Skip from PMing me and asking my thoughts about it, the Cal situation is basically due to AD R.C. Johnson being a complete ****up, which will end up costing us either hundreds of thousands of dollars per year or one of the best coaches in school history, and possibly -- or rather, hopefully -- R.C. his job.

Long story short, R.C. futzed around on offering Cal the extension (when he SHOULD have had one ready by the time we reached the Sweet 16), and then when he did get it together, he offered a pathetic $50k/yr raise for Cal and unsatisfactory increases for the assistants at first (apparently, there's still some resentment over strength coach Ray Oliver having to take a job with the Bengals rather than stay at Memphis a couple of years ago, due to salary issues). This caused Cal to take the NCSU offer more seriously, and word is that he's doing this to, at the very least, embarrass and screw with R.C. -- a difficult thing for fans to go through, but honestly, R.C. deserves it.

He's probably a big part of why we were excluded from the BE, and he's made a habit of doing the idiotic thing far too frequently.

In the end, I expect Cal to take a ~$1.7 mil/yr base and stay in Memphis, but without R.C.'s negligence and incompetence, none of this would have happened.

The sooner we get rid of him and hire a capable AD, the better.

ROYC75
04-11-2006, 07:02 AM
By the way, to prevent Skip from PMing me and asking my thoughts about it, the Cal situation is basically due to AD R.C. Johnson being a complete ****up, which will end up costing us either hundreds of thousands of dollars per year or one of the best coaches in school history, and possibly -- or rather, hopefully -- R.C. his job.

Long story short, R.C. futzed around on offering Cal the extension (when he SHOULD have had one ready by the time we reached the Sweet 16), and then when he did get it together, he offered a pathetic $50k/yr raise for Cal and unsatisfactory increases for the assistants at first (apparently, there's still some resentment over strength coach Ray Oliver having to take a job with the Bengals rather than stay at Memphis a couple of years ago, due to salary issues). This caused Cal to take the NCSU offer more seriously, and word is that he's doing this to, at the very least, embarrass and screw with R.C. -- a difficult thing for fans to go through, but honestly, R.C. deserves it.

He's probably a big part of why we were excluded from the BE, and he's made a habit of doing the idiotic thing far too frequently.

In the end, I expect Cal to take a ~$1.7 mil/yr base and stay in Memphis, but without R.C.'s negligence and incompetence, none of this would have happened.

The sooner we get rid of him and hire a capable AD, the better.

Seems as thou the AD is low baling Cali....... He may just bolt off to a higher payday.

Saulbadguy
04-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Calipari to NC State. Maybe.

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Seems as thou the AD is low baling Cali....... He may just bolt off to a higher payday.In the end, we'll pay him what he wants, it's just that the number is now higher thanks to R.C.'s incompetence. If he'd taken care of things a few weeks ago, like he should have, it wouldn't be an issue.

The great Spook Murphy made the biggest mistake of his career when he lowballed Gene Bartow after he took us to the NCAA title game in 1973. What did Clean Gene do? He bolted for a much worse Illinois job, which he left after one year for UCLA.

Those who don't learn from history, are doomed to be it.

http://random-m.com/images/1142577996_firercnow.gif

Skip Towne
04-11-2006, 07:05 AM
I hear Calipari is close to going to NC State. I'd better PM Psi to see what he thinks of it.

Saulbadguy
04-11-2006, 07:08 AM
hehe

ROYC75
04-11-2006, 07:10 AM
I hear Calipari is close to going to NC State. I'd better PM Psi to see what he thinks of it.

ESPN claimed Cali is furious over Memphis's offer .........
:hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Current stats from a Memphis forum:

In total there are 684 users online
Most users ever online was 1459 on 10 Apr 2006 12:07 pm

ROFL

It's gotten so bad that one of the admins limited read access to registered users only to try to decrease the load.

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Calipari watch

John Calipari has a decision to make, and the money is roughly the same whether he coaches N.C. State or stays at Memphis for the 2006-07 college basketball season.

The Tigers' coach on Monday was offered a salary increase from a potential $1.5 million annually to about $1.9 million, which is close to the package being floated by the Wolfpack.

State's offer is in the $2 million annual range for the next five or six seasons.

There is no deadline for Calipari to make a decision, but both sides expect an answer before the end of the week.

The big question for Wolfpack fans is if not Calipari, then who?

That's really the biggest unknown on the wide screen. Among State's hierarchy, there is a decent degree of sentiment for Louisiana State's John Brady, but it's hardly overwhelming.

If Calipari says no, the search could go almost anywhere.

— Caulton Tudor
Also worth considering on the financial end is that there's no income tax in TN, and Cal will receive a $2.5 million annuity if he stays through his tenth season at Memphis, which basically adds $625,000 to each of the next four years of his contract.

ChiTown
04-11-2006, 07:25 AM
This is reminiscent of the Nebraska Football hire of Callahan.

"Our 7th choice for the HC of this Program is......................."

ROFL

That said, I think he's a damn fine coach.

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 07:28 AM
This is reminiscent of the Nebraska Football hire of Callahan.

"Our 7th choice for the HC of this Program is......................."

ROFL

That said, I think he's a damn fine coach.They set themselves up for disappointing by mentioning names like Cal, Wright, Few, and Crean. There was no way they were getting someone that high-profile.

ChiTown
04-11-2006, 07:29 AM
They set themselves up for disappointing by mentioning names like Cal, Wright, Few, and Crean. There was no way
they were getting someone that high-profile.

When will these Programs learn to just stfu during these coaching searches. The OU and MU searches have been absolute abortions.

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 07:30 AM
When will these Programs learn to just stfu during these coaching searches. The OU and MU searches have been absolute abortions.I honestly didn't expect Mizzou to be able to snag Anderson, much less the rest of the big names that were mentioned. I think they did well to get him.

Skip Towne
04-11-2006, 07:31 AM
I like the idea of Turgeon staying at WSU. That way he'll be nearby in case KU needs him.

ChiTown
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
I like the idea of Turgeon staying at WSU. That way he'll be nearby in case KU needs him.

His "I'm staying!" was very Roy-esque. Sickening

Saulbadguy
04-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Duke
I wonder if he will fair as well as the last Dookie did in the Big XII.

Skip Towne
04-11-2006, 07:59 AM
They set themselves up for disappointing by mentioning names like Cal, Wright, Few, and Crean. There was no way they were getting someone that high-profile.
Even lowlife Billy Tubbs left OU for that juggernaut TCU. Hahaha

WilliamTheIrish
04-11-2006, 08:02 AM

ROFL

leviw
04-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Interesting, albeit irrelevant, question:

If all three were available to him at the same time (which they weren't), where would Bob Huggins be?
- Kansas State
- N.C. State
- Oklahoma

ChiTown
04-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Interesting, albeit irrelevant, question:

If all three were available to him at the same time (which they weren't), where would Bob Huggins be?
- Kansas State
- N.C. State
- Oklahoma

My guess:
NCSU

Better tradition, easier recruiting job, and probably more money.

Obviously, Blow U and Huggins wouldn't make sense at all. With recruiting violations, that's not a very enviable job (even with their incoming talent) - That's why Capel will be their coach and not Calipari.

KSU and Huggs are actually a nice fit. The Admin will provide the framework and support for him to operate, but won't dictate his every move. NCS's loss is very much KSU's gain.

leviw
04-11-2006, 09:47 AM
My guess:
NCSU

Better tradition, easier recruiting job, and probably more money.

Obviously, Blow U and Huggins wouldn't make sense at all. With recruiting violations, that's not a very enviable job (even with their incoming talent) - That's why Capel will be their coach and not Calipari.

KSU and Huggs are actually a nice fit. The Admin will provide the framework and support for him to operate, but won't dictate his every move. NCS's loss is very much KSU's gain.

I agree with you on NC State. And, to an extent, with the KSU administration, although if anything, Wefald has proven in the past that he'll dictate whatever the hell he wants to dictate when it concerns KSU athletics..

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 12:29 PM
I've learned something today, thanks to this cluster****: One of Chuck Amato's nicknames is "Chuck the Chest." ROFL

And to think I always just called him Moobs.

Saulbadguy
04-11-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree with you on NC State. And, to an extent, with the KSU administration, although if anything, Wefald has proven in the past that he'll dictate whatever the hell he wants to dictate when it concerns KSU athletics..
I bet you already know what Weiser & Wefald can dictate to Huggins, don't you?

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 12:58 PM
A Tejas fan just shared this with us:

Re: The new Rick Barnes thread (no post padding allowed)
Posted: 4/6/06 7:45:12 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Packbacker79 posts:

Re: The Rick Barnes thread .....It is Rick Barnes and ...
Posted: 4/5/06 6:30:46 pm
OK. I feel good about the source but of course its not done until its done.

Hear is what I have been told:

Barnes has verbally accepted the offer to coach for NC State. There will be an announcement tonight or tomorrow morning. He also mentioned that he was en route to Raleigh but I am unclear about the details on that as I did not go into in any more with him. The source is close to the university and new a day before Herb left that he would be leaving for ASU.

Take this for what its worth but in my mind I believe Barnes is a done deal to come to Raleigh.

Apparently we will know 100% very soon....

and then this one....
Re: The new Rick Barnes thread (no post padding allowed)
Posted: 4/6/06 7:48:12 am
Let's go back to where I started.

1-It will be Barnes.

2-Facts would start coming out Wednesday.
A-Offered around 2MM
B-Tucker and Aldridge are leaving for the NBA.

3-Would be within a week.

Now rip me. You'll have Rick Barnes as our coach by Monday night! Maybe Friday night.

"Tradition" will be the deciding factor.
He will say that in the press conference!!!

Edited by: Galati at: 4/6/06 7:56:48 am ROFL

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Cal signed a new contract this afternoon, and Tommy West's new deal (bumping his salary up from the $800k base he previously had and going through 2010) was finally finished today, as well.

All is right with the world, and NCSU can focus their efforts on John Brady or whomever.

Saulbadguy
04-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Cool. Congrats.

Ultra Peanut
04-11-2006, 06:43 PM
http://random-m.com/images/1590215732_NDOTStrikeJ2.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
04-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Wait!!

I was assured by some really old guy (Og), that OU oil money was bringing Calipari to Norman.

Ultra Peanut
04-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Interesting. Word is leaking out now that Cal's salary is actually only going to be a $1.3mil base, despite NCSU's $2mil offer. It appears the sticking point really was assistant salaries, in addition to the whole "R.C. futzing around" aspect that made Cal put the screws to him.

Also, Tommy West's new base is $925k, with incentives that could take him past $1mil; yet again, the big deal with him was upping the assistants' pay. Cool beans.

Saulbadguy
04-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Wait!!

I was assured by some really old guy (Og), that OU oil money was bringing Calipari to Norman.
No...really?