PDA

View Full Version : a ? about privacy fence ettiquite

John_Locke
04-12-2006, 10:18 PM
our privacy fence has just about outived itself. I want to just replace it but the wife says we should talk to the two neighbors we share it with as they should help pay.

The fence is on the property line

Who owns it the side with the crossplanks showing or the smooth side?

Dave Lane
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
You own it if its on your property.

Dave

Phobia
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
It depends on how it was built.

Generally, if you're looking at "crossplanks" you own it.

John_Locke
04-12-2006, 10:23 PM
It depends on how it was built.

Generally, if you're looking at "crossplanks" you own it.

that is what I thought.

The fence is exactly on the property line so I didn't know for sure. Wife says it still wouldn't hurt to talk with the neighbors. She says that if we took it down without replacing it, they would not be happy.

I think I will talk with them.

Hell even if they just chipped in, it would save me some cash. Probably looking at 5-7 thousand

jspchief
04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
5-7 thousand? Jesus christ, is your fence made of f*cking gold?

Phobia
04-12-2006, 10:30 PM

Have you priced lumber lately? I know you know what labor costs run.

John_Locke
04-12-2006, 10:31 PM

we have a HUGE back yard on a pie shaped lot.

Currently we have a gate in two different places big enough to drive a truck through

04-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Check your house contract when you moved in. There is usually verbage regarding if a fence is "shared" in that.

jspchief
04-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Have you priced lumber lately? I know you know what labor costs run.I can't honestly say I know what cedar or redwood is going for these days, but I thought you could get a fence for around $10-15 per foot. Unless he has an acre lot or something, I would think it would be hard to get to 5k.

John_Locke
04-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Check your house contract when you moved in. There is usually verbage regarding if a fence is "shared" in that.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that.

PastorMikH
04-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I know the old rule of thumb with farms is that you stand in the middle of your property, look at each shared fence, and take care of the right half yourself and your neigbor takes care of the left. Though in a residential setting, it's probably whichever neigbor gets tired of the rundown fence first.

04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that.
NP

Two of the homes I have lived in had shared fences. It is a blessing and a curse. Great if you both agree it needs fixed. Lousy if they refuse to help pay for it because they have no problem with termite infested wood. :banghead:

Needless to say, they eventually got termites in their home too while I was protected. Yes, I removed the fence at my own expense and had my home sprayed.

Spicy McHaggis
04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
pff, wood "privacy fence". Chain link with razor wire on top. That'll give all the privacy you could ever want.

onescrewleftuntwisted
04-13-2006, 01:04 AM
looking at 5-7 thousand

we all know how nice a fence made out ouf wormwood planks looks and balsa trim, and bass wood, but you got to think about all the paint you need, plant some bushes on your side of the fence about the time they reach 6ft. the fence will have fallen down on your neibors side of the yard and they have to do all the work.

StcChief
04-13-2006, 05:14 AM
For that I would put in a hedge. At least it's green even if you have to trim it.

DMAC
04-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Are you sure it needs replacing? Mabye all it could use is a good powerwashing.

TIP: If you start to powerwash, and the fence begins to fly apart, go with original plan.

John_Locke
04-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Good news.

The neighbors put up the fence about 10 years ago, because of the people that lived in our house before. We are all going to split the cost 3 ways. Awesome for all

Phobia
04-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Congrats!

Skip Towne
04-15-2006, 01:48 PM
You have good neighbors. The farmers around here use the "right half" method the pastor mentioned.

John_Locke
04-15-2006, 01:52 PM
You have good neighbors. The farmers around here use the "right half" method the pastor mentioned.

The neighbor on our Right had already gotten estimates and was going to do his side on his own.

That we offered to help surprised him, but I think he is pleased

Hydrae
04-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Good news.

The neighbors put up the fence about 10 years ago, because of the people that lived in our house before. We are all going to split the cost 3 ways. Awesome for all

Congrats and thanks for asking this question. I have wondered about this for several years. My fence has the smooth boards on my side on all sides while the framework is on the various neighbors side. The only upkeep done to the fence has been by me but we are to the point that several of the posts are rotting. I have replaced entire sections of fence but have been hesitant to do anything with the posts. I will have to start talking to the neighbors about this soon. :hmmm:

Adept Havelock
04-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Your property deed will likely tell you if you have to discuss it with your neighbors.

From a neighborly (and possibly financial) POV, it's a good idea.

Ummm....John, don't you have to go push the button? I swear I hear an alarm. :D

John_Locke
04-15-2006, 02:10 PM
It was my wife's idea to talk to the neighbors, I was just going to replace the fence. I am glad I listened to her

What button are you referring to?

I don't get the joke.

Adept Havelock
04-15-2006, 02:17 PM
It was my wife's idea to talk to the neighbors, I was just going to replace the fence. I am glad I listened to her

What button are you referring to?

I don't get the joke.

OK, I wasn't sure before if your name was referencing the esteemed British Philosopher, or his namesake from the show "Lost". Rep for the former.

This <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_DHARMA_Initiative">button</a>, if you really want to know. Specifically, the one in station 3, "The Swan".

John_Locke
04-15-2006, 02:21 PM
OK, I wasn't sure before if your name was referencing the esteemed British Philosopher, or his namesake from the show Lost. Rep for the former.

This <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_DHARMA_Initiative">button</a>, if you really want to know. Specifically, the one in station 3, "The Swan".

thanks.

the boy suggested the name cause he had studied it in History. My first name is John but didn't know what else to put.

Adept Havelock
04-15-2006, 02:24 PM
thanks.

the boy suggested the name cause he had studied it in History. My first name is John but didn't know what else to put.

:thumb:

Then I'll recommend both, depending on your interests. The philospher's stuff is interesting, and if you have time, the TV show Lost is worth picking up the DVD's and getting caught up on, IMO. If you want to watch them, don't click the link I provided. It's a hell of a spoiler.
Your namesake on the show is a hell of an interesting guy as well.

Glad to hear the fence project is going well. Have a good one!
:toast:

Bwana
04-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Ok, if it were me, here's what I would do. Go talk to your neighbor and explain that you are going to replace the fence. Explain the benefit of the apparatus not only to yourself, but to them. If they say no, ask again nicely. If they still don't see the light, either suck it up and drop the coin, or if you don't like the neighbor, don't be afraid to paint their side of the fence some special color like donk orange, hot lime, or neon pink...........good luck.

Adept Havelock
04-15-2006, 02:47 PM
If they still don't see the light, either suck it up and drop the coin, or if you don't like the neighbor, don't be afraid to paint their side of the fence some special color like donk orange, hot lime, or neon pink...........good luck.

ROFL ROFL :clap: