PDA

View Full Version : Iowa City hit hard by tornados, hail

tk13
04-13-2006, 10:16 PM
... apparently the University of Iowa has received damage.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060413/NEWS/60413020/1001/RSS01

Storm whips eastern Iowa with winds, tornados
THE IOWA CITY PRESS-CITIZEN and THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

April 13, 2006

At least four tornados touched down in eastern Iowa while heavy hail and rain pounded the area this evening, weather officials said. One twister hit the University of Iowa and others were reported in Tama, Linn and Muscatine counties, said Rod Donavon, a forecaster with the National Weather Service in Des Moines.

The Iowa City Press-Citizen reports the worst of the storms struck the heart of Iowa City, sparing most of the city’s north side. The wind, rain and hail made the downtown look as if a riot swept through, the Press-Citizen reports.

The Press-Citizen reports the worst of the damage happened on the town’s east side. The storm completely demolished a Dairy Queen, flipped cars at Dodge dealership and snapped trees in Iowa City. Cars along Burlington and Capitol streets were completely overturned.

It is unknown if the tornadoes have caused any injuries in eastern Iowa.

Half of the roof of the St. Patrick’s Catholic Church downtown has been ripped off completely, the Press-Citizen reports.

Onlookers in the pedestrian mall are being evacuated because of gas leaks from damage to Martini’s and Union bars, the Press-Citizen reports.

Terry Smith of MidAmerican Energy says that 5,000 customers are without power.

Riverside Drive and Governor Street in Iowa City appear to have sustained the worst damage. Downed power lines, traffic signals and debris litter the streets as hundreds, if not thousands, of university students roam the streets inspecting the damage, the Press-Citizen reports.

The east wall of the Alpha Chi Omega house collapsed, ex-posing the rooms to the elements, and the gazebo at College Green park was flattened, the Press-Citizen reports.

Another large tornado was reported in Muscatine, the National Weather Service reports.

Donavon said other tornadoes are possible throughout east-central Iowa for much of Thursday night.

‘‘It’s still dark outside,’’ Donavon told The Associated Press just after 9 p.m.

‘‘We’ve had large hail up to baseball size.”

http://mm.gazetteonline.com/r/bf25b42a-4314-4b42-80e0-45cca73729db/Storm_damage.jpg
http://mm.gazetteonline.com/r/0a5401db-02f9-4541-8517-08bcac21ca47/funnel_cloud_over_Iowa_City.jpg

morphius
04-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Damn. Sounds like this is going to be an ugly storm season.

Skip Towne
04-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Damn!!

Frazod
04-13-2006, 10:26 PM
All that shit's heading my way now.

Chan93lx50
04-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Here is a pic of some hail that I picked up in my yard. I live in Newhall, IA which is about 30 miles NW from Iowa City

recxjake
04-13-2006, 10:59 PM
yea i go to iowa..... we were at the bar called Spo Co and about a half mile away a tornado hit, my buddy was in a taxi and had to reverse back full spead to get out of the way..... they closed all the bars down and sent in the state troopers and national guard.....

bunch of my friends got there cars messed up w/ tree branches and one got his car flipped over..... crazy night here

ROYC75
04-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Oh Dear Lord, I have family in Iowa City and West Branch.......

I hope they are OK.

SBK
04-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Where's the Hawk fans hoping the tornado took Alford with it?

tk13
04-14-2006, 12:07 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060414/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

One reported death now, no other major injuries reported at the moment though.

Tactical Funky
04-14-2006, 12:45 AM
What is it with college towns - or more specifically, campuses - getting drilled by storms this year?

Hope everyone's okay up in I-City.

BWillie
04-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I graduated from Iowa, and I'm in Iowa City for a few more weeks until I move to Kansas City for a job but anyways the tornado missed my house by about 2 blocks. It tore a massive tree out of the ground, roots and all by my house and there's a crater in the ground about 25 feet deep. I was drunk at the time, and tried to throw some beer cans at it. I figured since I don't have a basement might as well not go down without a fight

Tactical Funky
04-14-2006, 12:49 AM
I graduated from Iowa, and I'm in Iowa City for a few more weeks until I move to Kansas City for a job but anyways the tornado missed my house by about 2 blocks. It tore a massive tree out of the ground, roots and all by my house and there's a crater in the ground about 25 feet deep. I was drunk at the time, and tried to throw some beer cans at it. I figured since I don't have a basement might as well not go down without a fight
Damn, you crazy bastard! ROFL

That reminds me of the time a tornado hit Lawrence in '03 and as it crossed to the West campus, a bunch of drunk kids poured out of the fire exits of my dorm and started chucking beer cans and bottles at the tornado... :shake: ROFL

recxjake
04-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Schools OUT today!!!

htismaqe
04-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Here is a pic of some hail that I picked up in my yard. I live in Newhall, IA which is about 30 miles NW from Iowa City

I had a childhood friend in Newhall when my dad worked for the gas company...

Uncle_Ted
04-14-2006, 05:41 AM
Where's the Hawk fans hoping the tornado took Alford with it?

Here's one!

Otter
04-14-2006, 05:53 AM
All that shit's heading my way now.

Last time I saw the dog he was chewing on my 4 iron, standing in his water bowl while chained to a peg before a storm moved like that came blowing into town.

savedin79
04-15-2006, 10:52 AM
woh!

Phobia
04-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Nice. Childhood friends of mine own the Yacht Club. Hopefully everything is fine there.