PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Morel Mushrooms

jspchief
04-14-2006, 02:57 PM
After all the rain, and now these hot temps, I'm guessing Morels are going to be popping big time. I probably won't get out this weekend, but I'll have to make time next week.

Has anyone been out yet? Any luck? Do we need to bump the Morel pic thread?

seclark
04-14-2006, 03:07 PM
i've quit hunting shrooms...last year a limb fell out of a tree upside my melon, awarding me w/a dislocated jaw and 23 stitches.

the carpenters working on my house found a few little ones back in the woods though.
sec

Iowanian
04-14-2006, 03:09 PM
You didn't know your wife could climb trees did you sec?

I think it'll be soon with the temps as high as they are....

jspchief
04-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Jesus. What are the odds of a tree falling in the woods, and some poor sap happening to wander under it at exactly the right (wrong) moment?

Are you in MO? What are the temps down there? We've had sunny and mid 80s for two days straight, so I'm thinking they'll be thick this weekend.

seclark
04-14-2006, 03:17 PM
You didn't know your wife could climb trees did you sec?

she was standing about 10 feet from me. it was a rotten tree and i was trying to impress her by pushing it over. as i was shaking it back and forth, a limb broke off and fell on my noggin. knocked me out colder than a mackeral.
sec

jspchief
04-14-2006, 03:21 PM
she was standing about 10 feet from me. it was a rotten tree and i was trying to impress her by pushing it over. as i was shaking it back and forth, a limb broke off and fell on my noggin. knocked me out colder than a mackeral.
secAnd here I was, thinking it was some amazing coincidence. I should have known better.

By the way, a mental image of that scenario has me cracking up.

seclark
04-14-2006, 03:25 PM
And here I was, thinking it was some amazing coincidence. I should have known better.

By the way, a mental image of that scenario has me cracking up.
must have been pretty funny. lots of people seem to laugh about it now.
sec

Iowanian
04-14-2006, 09:07 PM
I've got $.50 that like all good stories, this one began with a gorilla chest thump and "hey honey, hold mah beer and watch THIS"

CHIEF4EVER
04-14-2006, 09:13 PM
My wife found 6 small ones so far but other than that no dice.

Bugeater
04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
One of my friends went out today but had no luck, we'll probably try another location on Sunday.

Fire Me Boy!
04-14-2006, 11:09 PM
After all the rain, and now these hot temps, I'm guessing Morels are going to be popping big time. I probably won't get out this weekend, but I'll have to make time next week.

I guess the morel of your story is you're a fun-gi to go hunting with, huh?

greg63
04-14-2006, 11:15 PM

Here ya go.

yunghungwell
05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I found 1 1/2 pounds, a little more than half a plastic grocery sack, on Saturday. I wonder how many I missed by waiting so long to get out there. Oh well, I still ate myself sick last night.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
I got about a pound over the weekend. Some them were pretty crusty. I almost waited too long...

Bob Dole
05-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Bob Dole misses morel hunting...

shakesthecat
05-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I picked about 2 1/2 lbs. last Thursday.

Saturday I did up some breaded ones for an appitizer, then sauteed another handful and slathered them on top of nice sirloin steak.

Prolly still have another pound leftover.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I got about a pound over the weekend. Some them were pretty crusty. I almost waited too long...Yea, my general rule of thumb is the weekend before mothers day is the last good weekend. You'll still find some, but they tend to be dried out. Most of them are usually pretty big by now too, and I prefer the smaller ones.

Donger
05-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to purchase them at a grocery store?

Skip Towne
Bob Dole misses morel hunting...
Move out of that "whole 'nother country" and back to the US.

htismaqe
Yea, my general rule of thumb is the weekend before mothers day is the last good weekend. You'll still find some, but they tend to be dried out. Most of them are usually pretty big by now too, and I prefer the smaller ones.

I found about 20 of the small, grey ones. VERY tasty.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to purchase them at a grocery store?

ROFL

I saw them in Des Moines for $23 per pound. I almost considered selling mine instead of eating them.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to purchase them at a grocery store?Morels go for almost $20 per pound around here.

Besides, half the fun is the hunt.

Donger
05-08-2006, 10:49 AM
ROFL

I saw them in Des Moines for $23 per pound. I almost considered selling mine instead of eating them.

No kidding? I didn't know they were so pricey.

But, what's you time worth?

Bob Dole
05-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Move out of that "whole 'nother country" and back to the US.

And miss out on eating fishbait (mudbugs) for dinner?

It's a decent trade-off.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 10:51 AM
No kidding? I didn't know they were so pricey.

But, what's you time worth?

Considering I saw some dead elms in the ditch...I found them all in less than 5 minutes and had to walk all of about 25 feet...

Donger
05-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Considering I saw some dead elms in the ditch...I found them all in less than 5 minutes and had to walk all of about 25 feet...

Oh. As is probably obvious, I've never 'hunted' for mushrooms before.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
And miss out on eating fishbait (mudbugs) for dinner?

It's a decent trade-off.

Mudbugs is good eatin...fry some up with some morels...

jspchief
05-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh. As is probably obvious, I've never 'hunted' for mushrooms before.Sometimes you can find them pretty easily, especially if you know an area that isn't hunted and know what to look for.

Other times, you can waste a lot of time finding hardly any.

But like I said, the fun is in the search. A lot of people that hunt them don't even eat them. I'll eat a few, and give most of them away.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
I wish I could pick these out here. They are very hard to get and expensive as a MO if you try to buy them in the store.

Iowanian
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Half of the fun is the hunt itself....Being in the woods is relaxing...unless you don't find jackshat all day and its good exercise if nothing else.

A just saw a picture on a HUGE buck skull-antlers he found in a long jam along the river while hunting...Its EASY over 200.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Half of the fun is the hunt itself....Being in the woods is relaxing...unless you don't find jackshat all day and its good exercise if nothing else.

A just saw a picture on a HUGE buck skull-antlers he found in a long jam along the river while hunting...Its EASY over 200.

We only have one area out here and with our population they are all over it. It's also a pretty good drive up there.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
We only have one area out here and with our population they are all over it. It's also a pretty good drive up there.Heh. I could pull over on about any road and have a good chance of finding a few. Last year, while waiting on a slow group playing golf, I walked 10 feet off the cart path and found about a half pound.

They are literally everywhere. But at the same time, you never know where they'll be.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Heh. I could pull over on about any road and have a good chance of finding a few. Last year, while waiting on a slow group playing golf, I walked 10 feet off the cart path and found about a half pound.

They are literally everywhere. But at the same time, you never know where they'll be.

Well if you ever come across more than you can use I will pay you to send me some.

Iowanian
05-08-2006, 11:14 AM
BD....in your area, I'd go to the places where there were forest fires, the previous year. Thats what the 'big boys' that find them for a living do...follow the fires.

I'd probably find alot more if Yungdungwell wasn't poaching the best spots while I'm stuck here.

jspchief
05-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Well if you ever come across more than you can use I will pay you to send me some.To be honest, I don't know how well they would ship. They can dry out quickly, but they can also turn mushy if kept too moist.

I don't go out like I used to. Harder to find the time to find pounds and pounds like back in the day. I've only spent about half an hour this year, only finding a handful. Although all this talk may get me out this afternoon.

Iowanian
05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
I'll bet if you wrapped them in a moist cloth, they'd overnight alright.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 11:22 AM
BD....in your area, I'd go to the places where there were forest fires, the previous year. Thats what the 'big boys' that find them for a living do...follow the fires.

I'd probably find alot more if Yungdungwell wasn't poaching the best spots while I'm stuck here.

Thanks

Bob Dole
05-08-2006, 11:35 AM

Back in SWMO, Bob Dole always had a handful of "hot spots" where you could guarantee you'd find some year after year.

CHIEF4EVER
05-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Strangely, I haven't found but a few this year. The same spot that generally yields more than we can eat didn't have much of anything. I know we had a drought but with all the rainfall we have been gettin in the Ozarks one would think they would come back regardless, no?

Chief Henry
05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Luckily for me I have several clients that keep me
well supplied. I'm one lucky bastard.

yunghungwell
05-08-2006, 01:27 PM
To be honest, I don't know how well they would ship. They can dry out quickly, but they can also turn mushy if kept too moist.

I don't go out like I used to. Harder to find the time to find pounds and pounds like back in the day. I've only spent about half an hour this year, only finding a handful. Although all this talk may get me out this afternoon.

Morel Site (http://thegreatmorel.com/index.shtml)

A nice little site about morels that I found a year or two ago. Many people on here say that you can safely freeze your shrooms. Check it out. I think it might be under the FAQs.

Iowanian
05-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I have cleaned, cut, breaded and frozen mushrooms before and have had them as late as Jan-Feb of the next year. They weren't as good as fresh, but were fine.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 01:50 PM
I have cleaned, cut, breaded and frozen mushrooms before and have had them as late as Jan-Feb of the next year. They weren't as good as fresh, but were fine.

How does tha compare to dehyrating them?

Iowanian
05-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I've never done that, but I don't know how you're Re-hydrate them.

I do know people that dry them and keep them in the pantry and use them for cooking through the year, but I never have.

Ptlyon is the morel guru as far as I know.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I've never done that, but I don't know how you're Re-hydrate them.

I do know people that dry them and keep them in the pantry and use them for cooking through the year, but I never have.

Ptlyon is the morel guru as far as I know.

You soak them in luke warm water for 30 minutes to an hour. They are good I just wondered how they compared to you freezing them. Occasionally we get some fresh ones in the high end grocers but they are expensive as a MO.

Smoke
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Bump for finding my first morels of the year. Been checking my spots for the last 5 days and had 12 today. Need a good rain to get things going.

Redrum_69
03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
A double layered trashbag full.

I plan on having morels, bullfrog legs, and fish this weekend

Bugeater
03-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Bump for finding my first morels of the year. Been checking my spots for the last 5 days and had 12 today. Need a good rain to get things going.
Where are you located? It sure feels like mushroom weather here, but it's still a bit early. I'm tempted to go out this weekend.

Smoke
03-30-2007, 01:50 PM
You better add a few more rolls of TP to every bathroom in the house

Smoke
03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Southern MO..About a hour south of Springfield

Redrum_69
Where are you located? It sure feels like mushroom weather here, but it's still a bit early. I'm tempted to go out this weekend.

I get all my morels over in missouri, between rich hill and Nevada...and west also between Rich Hill and Hume

GoHuge
Oh. As is probably obvious, I've never 'hunted' for mushrooms before.Look for a dead Elm or Sycamore tree sitting on a west bank and your money.

CHIEF4EVER
03-30-2007, 01:55 PM

I plan on having your mom this weekend. You can eat while me and her do the shagnasty. :p LMAO

Seriously, conrats on finding so many. I haven't found jack yet but am going to look again today.

Redrum_69
03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I plan on having your mom this weekend. You can eat while me and her do the shagnasty. :p LMAO

Seriously, conrats on finding so many. I haven't found jack yet but am going to look again today.

Once you find your first cluster, its real easy to see where they would be.

I never liked mushrooms until a friend fried a morel for me back in 93. The trick to mushroom hunting is...learning where everyones stash is...and then exploiting that when they are not around

That is all :O

"hey, hows the mushroom hunting going?"
"not bad this year, how about yours"
"its horrible, where you finding yours at?"
"oh, here and there"

HemiEd
03-30-2007, 02:49 PM
This thread is interesting, I had never seen anything in print regarding hunting of wild mushrooms. I get some in my yard, pretty darn large, but they don't look like that. They have a sombrero looking top on them.

Reaper16
03-30-2007, 02:51 PM

:deevee: I really wish I was eating that well this weekend. OMG.

eazyb81
03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
I never liked mushrooms until a friend fried a morel for me back in 93. The trick to mushroom hunting is...learning where everyones stash is...and then exploiting that when they are not around

Same here. I've only had them twice and i'm dying to try them again. That said, i've never actually hunted for them and I don't even know how to start.

Fish
03-30-2007, 03:00 PM
This thread is interesting, I had never seen anything in print regarding hunting of wild mushrooms. I get some in my yard, pretty darn large, but they don't look like that. They have a sombrero looking top on them.

Don't eat those.... the ones in your yard are toadstools... they'll make you pretty sick...

Stewie
03-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I know they're plentiful around where I live. I've just heard that there's another shroom that looks like a morel and is poisonous. Is that true? And how closely do the poisonous variety look like the real deal? I'd like to find some because I've had morels sauteed in butter and they're awesome.

Fish
03-30-2007, 03:03 PM
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/1982/2607d33kx3.jpg

Stewie
03-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Damn Fish! How much of that is edible?

Donger
03-30-2007, 03:08 PM

Indeed. And, I wonder who was the first crazy f*cker even to contemplate eating one.

HemiEd
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Don't eat those.... the ones in your yard are toadstools... they'll make you pretty sick...

Thanks! I had heard that, consequently I have always avoided wild mushrooms.

Fish
03-30-2007, 03:15 PM

All of it... the caps (top portion) are the tastiest... eat that much and you'll shit yourself silly though...

Once in a while when I have big enough ones, I'll slice up one into a close "burger patty" size and make a burger using the morel in place of the meat... mmm....

CHIEF4EVER
03-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I know they're plentiful around where I live. I've just heard that there's another shroom that looks like a morel and is poisonous. Is that true? And how closely do the poisonous variety look like the real deal? I'd like to find some because I've had morels sauteed in butter and they're awesome.

The way to tell the difference is easy.

If the stem isn't hollow, don't swallow.
If it is red, you're dead.

pr_capone
03-30-2007, 04:02 PM
sec

Yeah.... shaking it. Sure :rolleyes:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8052/treehumperyj1.gif

Skip Towne
03-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Don't forget the Planet mushroom tax. You must send every 4th mushroom you find to me. I am the treasurer.

bogie
03-30-2007, 04:32 PM

H O L Y CRAP! That sound excellent!

Joie
03-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I have always loved mushroom hunting. Used to be a family event every year. I haven't gotten to go since I moved to Kansas. It was always a good way to spend time with Dad.

boogblaster
03-30-2007, 06:28 PM
People have been getting a few here in seKansas last week..been raining all week.. if it dries up.. next week should be good hunting ...

dtebbe
03-30-2007, 07:14 PM
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/1982/2607d33kx3.jpg

Wow! That big one would almost fill Redrum's Mom's gap!

DT

Fish
04-02-2007, 10:01 AM
So... yeah.... last weekend was a great time for huntin shrooms...

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6840/morelsxb4.jpg

I might bring some to the Royals game... anybody interested...?

Hammock Parties
04-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Are these any different from regular, nasty mushrooms?

Rooster
04-02-2007, 10:12 AM

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6840/morelsxb4.jpg

Oh man!! That's a great haul. I am going home to SE KS this weekend for Easter and hope to hit a few dumps I know of down there. I'm glad to see they are coming up. :thumb:

Saulbadguy
04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Are these any different from regular, nasty mushrooms?
I don't like mushrooms at all - but I had Morels one time and they were pretty tasty.

Redrum_69
04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Beefsteaks are good too atm. Tonight should be great

yesterday...was prolly the best day I've had in a few years.

whats really good is the chicken/morel fajitas I make...freakin mushrooms go great with everything

I got lucky a few weeks back and caught some frogs from my uncles ponds. If youve never been froggin before, the key is anything red. Seriously...take a culprit or a plastic worm...get a red color..I use red shad. Toss that red shad worm out there a few feet from the frog...or right in front of him...it doesnt matter how far away it is, they just swim, and hop over to it...and pounce the hell out of it.

I usually go out and hand catch them in may/june to stock in ponds. I still have 4 in my pond I caught last year. But seeing this was my uncles pond....it was open season. I ended up with a few dozen. They were great this weekend, side dished with morels, and grilled catfish. Topped it off with a Heineken.

Good times

Wile_E_Coyote
04-02-2007, 10:23 AM
DO NOT GO
you could get bit by a tick with lyme disease

;) kept some out of the timber for awhile

Bugeater
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM

Holy chit! I went out Saturday and didn't find squat, it's still too early up here. We're supposed to get a cold blast later this week, that'll probably push them back for a while.

Redrum_69
04-02-2007, 10:48 AM
DO NOT GO

Watch out for brown recluses and black widows when looking around dead logs

Redrum_69
04-02-2007, 10:48 AM
and apparently bigfoot

www.bfro.net

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=ks

StcChief
04-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Saw some last night, 6" to 12" look good Red/Brown.

boogblaster
04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
My neighbor went yesterday found quite a few small ones..said he left most of them, going back this evening to pick them..sun is out good today they should sprout up good....

MOhillbilly
04-02-2007, 01:16 PM
DO NOT GO

tell them about babesia.

Dunit35
04-02-2007, 04:26 PM
I hate mushrooms but we fried some of these up last night and they weren't too bad. My bro and I caught probably 30 yesterday.

Ceej
04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I hate mushrooms but we fried some of these up last night and they weren't too bad. My bro and I caught probably 30 yesterday.

Holy shit, these things have legs? Happy hunting and good luck to all of you Planeteers!

:)

Skip Towne
04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Holy shit, these things have legs? Happy hunting and good luck to all of you Planeteers!

:)
Dunit's mushrooms are pretty shifty.

Ceej
04-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Dunit's mushrooms are pretty shifty.

I wonder if they're prehistoric. :)

Simply Red
04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
ROFL

LOL, Yeah My Dad and I used to go (he still does.) Old Apple-tree orchards and Elm-tree ruins. Had a "honey hole" in Blue Springs for the longest. Last time I saw they were 18.00 dollars per pound at the farmers mkt. here in Atlanta.

KcMizzou
04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Dunit's mushrooms are pretty shifty.I think he ate a few before he went hunting.

MOhillbilly
03-24-2009, 09:58 AM
anyone get out yet? goin this weekend.

htismaqe
03-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Damn, awful early for morels. How warm has it been down there? We're supposed to get snow this weekend.

allen_kcCard
03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I used to go a lot back in my hometown....I don't know of anywhere to try to get some up here around Raymore. :(

We are going down that way this weekend though, so I might drag my son out of the house and have him go with me to try and find some at my parents.

MOhillbilly
03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
70s for about a week.

Fish
03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
I didn't think it was quite warm enough yet either. I usually wait till it's been 65+ for a week straight or so with steady rain off and on. I've got several "secret" spots where I usually can find as many as I can eat and give away.

Maybe I'll give it a look this weekend.

seclark
03-24-2009, 10:21 AM
still too cold here.
sec

Bugeater
03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Too early here, we're at least a month away. Hopefully this year is as good as last year was.

htismaqe
03-24-2009, 10:45 AM
70s for about a week.

You might be good down there then.

Simply Red
03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
anyone get out yet? goin this weekend.

a bit early and a LOT colder than ideal seasons, according to pops, it's been cold there.

Bob Dole
03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
If you are really jonesin' for some morel flavor out of season, there's a place just north of Bob Dole's hometown where they grow them year round, and then sell "Moreloilla". http://store.freshmorels.com/index.php

MOhillbilly
03-24-2009, 11:11 AM
a bit early and a LOT colder than ideal seasons, according to pops, it's been cold there.

guy i know found a half dozen lastnight.

bogey
03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
If you are really jonesin' for some morel flavor out of season, there's a place just north of Bob Dole's hometown where they grow them year round, and then sell "Moreloilla". http://store.freshmorels.com/index.php

Have you tried this?

Chief Faithful
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
LOL, Yeah My Dad and I used to go (he still does.) Old Apple-tree orchards and Elm-tree ruins. Had a "honey hole" in Blue Springs for the longest. Last time I saw they were 18.00 dollars per pound at the farmers mkt. here in Atlanta.[/FONT]

They are available all year at Whole Foods. I miss the spring time hunting.

Simply Red
03-24-2009, 12:18 PM
guy i know found a half dozen lastnight.

oh, down in SoMo.?

MOhillbilly
03-24-2009, 12:19 PM
oh, down in SoMo.?

Mark Twain.

Delano
03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
They are available all year at Whole Foods. I miss the spring time hunting.

The dehydrated variety I am assuming. Right?

Bob Dole
03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Have you tried this?

Nope. Keep meaning to see if they'll give a tour of the facility some time, though.

KcFanNindy
03-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I know at the lake of the ozarks, they have been finding beefcakes! So they should be out now!

MOhillbilly
03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Gettin close. People goin to the park have discovered what locals have known for years. Scouted a place last week that has promise.

Anyone else been scoutin?
hope its better huntin than last year.

LiveSteam
03-10-2011, 10:34 AM
We are still weeks away

mlyonsd
03-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Gettin close. People goin to the park have discovered what locals have known for years. Scouted a place last week that has promise.

Anyone else been scoutin?
hope its better huntin than last year.

Still have snow on the ground up here.....1st of May along the Missouri River is usually the earliest for us.

MOhillbilly
03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Guy told me the best indicator is when the 1st dandelion flower is up the mushrooms are out.

mlyonsd
03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Guy told me the best indicator is when the 1st dandelion flower is up the mushrooms are out.

My grandfather always said, and he was right, when the plum thickets bloom. Never been wrong that I can remember.

MOhillbilly
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
My grandfather always said, and he was right, when the plum thickets bloom. Never been wrong that I can remember.

sounds about right. Have a plum in my yard.

mlyonsd
03-10-2011, 10:49 AM
For Xmas this year the wife's sister gave her one of those Morel spore kits. I don't hold out much hope it will work all that great but it will be interesting to see what happens.

MOhillbilly
03-10-2011, 11:05 AM
For Xmas this year the wife's sister gave her one of those Morel spore kits. I don't hold out much hope it will work all that great but it will be interesting to see what happens.

my grandpa was gifted a shiitake mushroom log one year. he saoked it and gave up on it after the first year.

mlyonsd
03-10-2011, 11:09 AM
my grandpa was gifted a shiitake mushroom log one year. he saoked it and gave up on it after the first year.

I've got a quarter mile of ditch I think I'll plant asparagus in this year. Any tricks to that, other than follow the directions?

LiveSteam
03-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Bugs brother had one. I think he gave it to Bugeater. not sure if it worked or not

MOhillbilly
03-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I've got a quarter mile of ditch I think I'll plant asparagus in this year. Any tricks to that, other than follow the directions?

depends on how far along the crowns are & how well it drains. till your dirt and run your furrow about 3-6in deep. cover. after the soil temp is a constant 50 degrees.
Dont go cheap and buy seeds the females dont produce stalks and have to be pulled.
I wanna say grandpa bought 5 yr old crowns and they were high dollar even back then.
we put in 25 jersey giants to replenish the old stock in 93', maybe. Anyway hope you like to pull weeds.

personaly its the only reason i tilled mine under. friggin hate weedin that shit.

Edit- id maybe think about puttin it on the high side so it drains better.

Groves
03-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Do tell more. I always think of it as growing in ditches, and yet the directions on all the plants say "well drained". I thought for sure it would say "wet, almost swampy".

What grows well in poorly drained soil?

PS. Had a nice lone morel sprout up right outside my back door last year.

tooge
03-10-2011, 11:47 AM
I usually plan the mushroom huntin with my combat fishin for crappie. I hike to the back fo a few coves at Smithville and find shrooms, on the way to spawning crappie. Usually about April 25 or so. I go by the lilac and dogwood blooming.

MOhillbilly
03-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Do tell more. I always think of it as growing in ditches, and yet the directions on all the plants say "well drained". I thought for sure it would say "wet, almost swampy".

What grows well in poorly drained soil?

PS. Had a nice lone morel sprout up right outside my back door last year.

Gonna have to treat your dirt. Or run it over on the other side of that thicket. Aint noway around it Hoss.

Id start by gettin all the drywall scraps & manure you can.

MOhillbilly
04-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Bump.
Report!

Saturday was springs first kiss.

Found 5 big reds.

You should have been so lucky to be up on that Mnt top.

LiveSteam
04-04-2011, 07:48 AM
What are reds?

Groves
04-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Take your pick:

http://www.capitate.co.uk/MLB%20Caps/baseball_caps_reds.jpg

http://www.deism.com/images1/communistlogo.gif

http://www.usefilm.com/images/8/7/7/877/224536-medium.jpg

LiveSteam
04-04-2011, 07:53 AM
It needs lil HUSKER N-s on it
http://www.usefilm.com/images/8/7/7/877/224536-medium.jpg

MOhillbilly
04-04-2011, 07:56 AM
What are reds?

http://morelmushroomhunting.com/redmorel.htm

False Morel.

HonestChieffan
04-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Plant hybrid. Thats 1st.

Try to plant at 4 different depths....that way you will have 4 "waves" of spear emergence and have asparagus over a longer period.

Asparagus loves fertility..if possible put well rotted manure in the trench bottom when you plant and use manure as a mulch on the surface

Every spring burn the tops. The dead tops harbor asparagus beetle. Burning in Feb or march kills the critters.

Your pee will stink.

LiveSteam
04-04-2011, 08:00 AM
dont have them hear. Reds that is.

MOhillbilly
04-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Aint you in the mid-lands?

You should have em'.

LiveSteam
04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Aint you in the mid-lands?

You should have em'.

Omaha Nebraska. But I have never run across them.
this looks familiar
http://morelmushroomhunting.com/hugh_urban_false_morel.JPG

MOhillbilly
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Shit, for some reason i thought you were around LOTO.

Rooster
04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Bump.
Report!

Saturday was springs first kiss.

Found 5 big reds.

You should have been so lucky to be up on that Mnt top.

:thumb::thumb:

Rukdafaidas
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't have the nerve to try reds. I'm afraid I'd keel over and die. Every year I pass up tons of 'em in search of morels.

MOhillbilly
04-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't have the nerve to try reds. I'm afraid I'd keel over and die. Every year I pass up tons of 'em in search of morels.

They're good. Just don't eat a shit ton 1st time out.

shirtsleeve
04-04-2011, 11:11 AM
The false Morels around here look more like this and are loaded with MMH. I dont know anyone around here brave enough to try one:

shirtsleeve
04-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Our morel season is around mother's day, give or take, for weather.

Bob Dole
05-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Found (not by Bob Dole) near Nevada, MO on Saturday.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2m28enc.jpg

MOhillbilly
05-02-2011, 02:52 PM
holy crap. love busch light.

tooge
05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
my son and I found some 6 to 7 inch morels yesterday, and caught two limits of crappie friday and saturday at smithville. All male fish about 5 feet from the back in about 3 feet of water. blue and white jigs. Found some smaller morels too, but they were drying out and must have been a week old