View Full Version : Dutton: Greinke speaks, eager to pitch again

tk13
04-15-2006, 01:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14347333.htm

GREINKE EAGER TO PITCH AGAIN
KC starter ‘feeling a lot better’ and looking forward to playing

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Royals pitcher Zack Greinke said he feels healthy enough, after nearly eight weeks of psychological counseling, to think about returning to the mound.

“The main thing now,” he said, “is I’m really looking forward to playing baseball again.”

Greinke spoke briefly by phone Friday with The Star in making his first public statements since leaving spring camp Feb. 25 to return home to Orlando, Fla., to deal with what Royals officials termed “personal matters.”

The Star subsequently learned Greinke underwent psychological counseling related to emotional issues.

Those sessions led to a psychiatric evaluation that provided the medical diagnosis necessary for the Royals to place Greinke on the 60-day disabled list at the start of the season.

Tentative plans call for Greinke to resume baseball-related activities before the end of the month at the organization’s year-round complex in Surprise, Ariz.

“I don’t know if I’m completely well or not,” he said, “but I’m feeling a lot better. That’s all I really want to say at this point.”

Greinke, 22, is ineligible to return to the active roster before May 23 under terms of the 60-day disabled list. A more likely timetable would be mid-to-late June or even early July.

“He’s going to need a full spring training,” general manager Allard Baird said. “Then I’m sure there would be some rehab time in the minors. We wouldn’t just bring him back to the big leagues.”

Pitchers can be assigned to minor-league clubs for rehabilitation purposes for up to 30 days. That would enable Greinke to make five or six competitive starts before rejoining the Royals.

Greinke, a right-hander, was the sixth overall pick in the 2002 draft after being cited by Gatorade as the nation’s best high school player. He then quickly established himself as a cornerstone of the club’s youth movement.

The Sporting News selected him in 2003 as baseball’s minor-league player of the year, and he was chosen the following season as the Royals’ pitcher of year as a rookie after going 8-11 with a 3.97 ERA in 24 starts.

Greinke battled inconsistency in 2005 when he tied a club record for losses in finishing 5-17 with a 5.80 ERA in 33 starts.

He was 0-4 through his first eight starts despite a 3.09 ERA. Greinke then allowed 88 earned runs in 101 innings over 19 starts before going 2-1 in his last six starts with a 3.82 ERA.

VonneMarie
04-15-2006, 01:16 AM
That's great news. We'll need a replacement for Mr. I have a 25.87 ERA Mays.

sedated
04-15-2006, 01:32 AM
that's good news.

I hope he;s mastered his demons and is ready to be a big time player

big nasty kcnut
04-15-2006, 01:34 AM
That mays guy need to go.

tk13
04-15-2006, 01:37 AM
As for more good pitching news, Runelvys Hernandez went 6 innings for Omaha tonight, allowed 3 runs on 7 hits, 3 K's, picked up a win. Not out of this world but 1000 times better than his last outing. Ruben Gotay also went 4-4 with 3 doubles in that game.

As for the Alex Gordon watch, he went 2-4 tonight with 2 doubles, 1 run scored. On the season now he's played in 8 games. He's hitting .371, 6 R, 5 doubles, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 5 SB

sedated
04-15-2006, 01:42 AM
you are so positive, tk.

3 runs, 7 hits, 3 k's in the minors?

I'm not ready to pencil him in after that

but Im ready for redman to come back, and wood to start.

you can't lose 3 starters and your closer and not suffer

Sure-Oz
04-15-2006, 01:47 AM
We need a guy that doesn't walk like 5 guys a game.

tk13
04-15-2006, 01:58 AM
I didn't say pencil him in. I said it was way better than the abortion last time. It's something to build on. If he kept getting shelled down there, well then he was in deep trouble. I'm not that positive, the rest of you curmudgeons are just so negative. Make a statement like "not out of this world but better than last time" and it gets looked at like "Yippie he's great! Bring him up!" :D

sedated
04-15-2006, 02:10 AM
calm down.

its so easy to be cynical of this teams pitching,

but if we get back Redman and Grienke, and add Wood to the rotation, we could have a decent starting staff.

we just gotta hope we last that long, and get teh bullpen back in order

tk13
04-15-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm perfectly calm. :D I don't usually get very angry on here. Nothing worth getting that worked up about. Well except that gochiefs matched me up against JennyGump. That's definitely worth outrage.

chefsos
04-15-2006, 02:38 AM
I'm perfectly calm. :D I don't usually get very angry on here. Nothing worth getting that worked up about. Well except that gochiefs matched me up against JennyGump. That's definitely worth outrage.
Three words: Start..the..bus.

jettio
04-15-2006, 09:32 AM
The fans are going need some time on the DL for psychological counseling.

beavis
04-15-2006, 11:17 AM
I didn't say pencil him in. I said it was way better than the abortion last time. It's something to build on. If he kept getting shelled down there, well then he was in deep trouble. I'm not that positive, the rest of you curmudgeons are just so negative. Make a statement like "not out of this world but better than last time" and it gets looked at like "Yippie he's great! Bring him up!" :D
So very true. ROFL

You get the failing Baird is going to do something stupid with Gordon, like bring him before September?

beavis
04-15-2006, 11:18 AM
So say Greinke isn't back until early June. Anyone know how it affects his service time? I guess technically he's on the DL, so he's probably accumulating it anyway.