PDA

View Full Version : Why do girls play softball instead of baseball?

Hammock Parties
04-16-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm sitting here watching UCLA and Washington.

Girls play basketball according to the same rules and regulations as men. The same size court, the same size ball.

So what's the deal with softball? Did some perverted university dean have a sick fetish for girls holding big balls?

luv
04-16-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm sitting here watching UCLA and Washington.

Girls play basketball according to the same rules and regulations as men. The same size court, the same size ball.

So what's the deal with softball? Did some perverted university dean have a sick fetish for girls holding big balls?
There are guys who play softball, too.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2006, 01:31 PM
There are guys who play softball, too.

Duh. Men can do everything.

banyon
04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Isn't the Women's Basketball a different size?

luv
04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Duh. Men think they can do everything.

Rain Man
04-16-2006, 01:37 PM
I suspect it's because someone a long time ago decided that he didn't want to see a woman take a short hop grounder to the face with a baseball.

On that subject, my undergraduate school had a seniors/faculty softball game the year before I graduated. They put one of the few female seniors on the mound so that they could put more guys in the field. It was brutal. One of the professors (a very nice guy) drilled a line drive right into her face, and that pretty much ended the game.

luv
04-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Isn't the Women's Basketball a different size?
Could that be because men, on average, have larger hands than women?

ChiefFripp
04-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Because woman are weak and can't handle taking nonfleshy balls to the face.

luv
04-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Because woman are weak and can't handle taking nonfleshy balls to the face.
Does that mean men can't even handle the fleshy balls to the face?

Hammock Parties
04-16-2006, 01:44 PM

You might have a point. How many gay baseball players are there besides Mike Piazza?

luv
04-16-2006, 01:46 PM
You might have a point. How many gay baseball players are there besides Mike Piazza?
I figured the gay men rationale would have been the reply to my first post.

ChiefFripp
04-16-2006, 01:46 PM
For that answer I suggest you check out www.orangemmane.com. Plenty of softball vets there I bet.

KcMizzou
04-16-2006, 01:47 PM
You might have a point. How many gay baseball players are there besides Mike Piazza?Well, there was that whole Barry Bonds cross dressing thing...

Hammock Parties
04-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Gotta love 235 foot homeruns.

luv
04-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Gotta love 235 foot homeruns.
Softball doesn't weigh as much and is larger. It won't travel nearly as far as a baseball.

Saulbadguy
04-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Women have a smaller ball, plus their is a shorter shot clock, and no 10 second rule (in the backcourt). That is all I know of different in basketball.

Saulbadguy
04-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Wiki/Google "Title IX"

listopencil
04-16-2006, 02:31 PM
I suspect it's because someone a long time ago decided that he didn't want to see a woman take a short hop grounder to the face with a baseball.

On that subject, my undergraduate school had a seniors/faculty softball game the year before I graduated. They put one of the few female seniors on the mound so that they could put more guys in the field. It was brutal. One of the professors (a very nice guy) drilled a line drive right into her face, and that pretty much ended the game.

Yep. This is it. When I see a girl with a facial wound I think,"How horrible. That poor girl." When I see a guy with a facial wound I think,"Ha. What a dumbass."

Hammock Parties
04-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Wiki/Google "Title IX"

Ah yes...

Dunit35
04-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Aint nothing wrong with softball. I plan on playing it this summer.

BigMeatballDave
04-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Isn't the Women's Basketball a different size?Last I heard, a women BB is slightly smaller...

Garcia Bronco
04-16-2006, 04:35 PM

Yes..it's exactly what it means

BigMeatballDave
04-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Could that be because men, on average, have larger hands than women?That is also true. I've shot hoops with a womans BB. It improved my shooting capabilities a little.

CoMoChief
04-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Bigger ball, longer bat, shorter field, bigger glove, it would be homerun derby to anyone else that's not a girl.

Gonzo
04-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't have baseball players! I've got girls! Girls are to sleep with after the game!

Katipan
04-16-2006, 04:48 PM
That's not true. Major league baseball players often have a hard time hitting against some of the high caliber softball female pitchers.

Don't they do a contest every year?

Rain Man
04-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Oh, wait. I found the answer. Apparently girls play softball to meet other lesbians.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_19_54/ai_92049025#continue

(Long article...)

Leagues of Their Own: The delicate question of lesbians and softball
National Review, Oct 14, 2002 by Kathryn Jean Lopez
'On road trips those who were dating roomed with one another and slept together." "Changing in the locker room made me feel very uncomfortable." "The issue was so pervasive at my school that I felt choked out."

That lesbians play softball is a terribly old stereotype, but few outside of college athletics have heard what it's like for a non-gay girl who wants to play the sport. If you're not crazy about your daughter showering in a very-far-away-from-don't-ask-don't-tell gym shower, high-school and college softball might not be for her. In Diamonds Are a Dyke's Best Friend: Reflections, Reminiscences, and Reports from the Field on the Lesbian National Pastime, Yvonne Zipter makes a compelling case that softball teams have long been the best way to meet lesbians. She quotes one woman's account: "I'm not saying all women who play softball are gay, but . . . if you think someone is gay and you don't have proof to satisfy your curiosity, [asking "Have you ever played softball?"] may be a solution."

http://www.glbtq.com/arts/sports_lesbian.html (http://)

A telling example of the importance of sports to lesbian culture is the fact that softball teams are cherished institutions in many lesbian communities. Indeed, joining a lesbian softball team is often the first move a new lesbian in town makes to meet other like-minded women.

Almost every major city has its own softball league (often with unmistakable marks of lesbian "processing," such as allowing team members to take turns coaching or softening rules according to players' individual strengths and weaknesses and needs).

Hammock Parties
04-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Too bad lesbians are 99% butch. Although on the game today, most of the players were decent looking.

Katipan
04-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Make society start embracing more lesbians and they won't feel the need to prove their manly dominance.

luv
04-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Too bad lesbians are 99% butch. Although on the game today, most of the players were decent looking.
If lesbians are 99% butch, they'd all be fightling after the 1% that aren't. Have you ever noticed that, even in homosexual relationships, there is one who's more butch and one who's more feminine? Hmmm...

Hammock Parties
04-16-2006, 05:12 PM
If lesbians are 99% butch, they'd all be fightling after the 1% that aren't. Have you ever noticed that, even in homosexual relationships, there is one who's more butch and one who's more feminine? Hmmm...

To be honest I haven't paid much attention.

Saulbadguy
04-16-2006, 06:00 PM
That's not true. Major league baseball players often have a hard time hitting against some of the high caliber softball female pitchers.

That is because the mound is much closer than a regular pitchers mound. They say at that speed, that close, it's equivalent to over 100 mph.

Rain Man
04-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Make society start embracing more lesbians and they won't feel the need to prove their manly dominance.

Lesbians won't let me embrace them. My only way to connect with them is through the movies.

listopencil
04-16-2006, 08:38 PM

I'm willing to embrace lesbians. I have no problem with that.

Valiant
04-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Yes and if a guy pitcher stood that close pitching they could not hit him either... Stick the girl softball players back where the guys pitch from and they get whacked also..

Katipan
04-16-2006, 09:01 PM
well. thank you very much for that very importent piece of information. you are sweet and proactive. 2 traits seldom found in the typical internet male.

Dunit35
04-16-2006, 09:08 PM

Good point. My boss said he sucks at softball because he plays baseball and can't hit the softball because of how different it is.

tk13
04-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Also don't forget that pitching the baseball is an unnatural mechanical motion. Very hard on the arm/shoulder. Throwing a softball is a more natural motion.... way less stress on the arm. MLB hitters would have a hard time hitting a good softball pitcher because of the distance to the mound, but also because of the low angle where the ball is released, and because of that a lot of good softball pitchers can make the ball rise. Not many MLB pitchers can do that... save a few submariners.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-16-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm just glad women don't have balls.

alanm
04-16-2006, 11:54 PM
That is because the mound is much closer than a regular pitchers mound. They say at that speed, that close, it's equivalent to over 100 mph.
There's where I have a problem with womens softball. They need to move the pitchers mound back about 10'. No hitters are so routine it's boring.

Duck Dog
04-17-2006, 07:39 AM
It's because there's no crying in baseball.